Post your map

152 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've always liked homebrew, especially for the campaign maps.

So here's mine and please post/share yours. Any advice is cool, too. If you can, tell what medium you used for your map.

Sblock's, too, if it's a big one...

IMAGE(http://i35.tinypic.com/mjsvfb.jpgp)
My Wilderlands Great Glacier Map, North of Valon

Scale is 5 miles to the hex. This is a hand drawn 17"x22" map, scanned at 600 DPI, resized 75% smaller and reduced to 72 DPI resolution to be displayed here. Rebuilding the scanned pages, colorization of the oceans, and labeling the map was done in Paint Shop Pro.

IMAGE(http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z35/circu_2007/map-1.gif)
That's interesting you have a glacier/ice map, since the campaign I'm running on the map I posted is in an apocolyptic winter. I had originally had it with white and blue colors but I just recently edited it and went ahead and made it the typical green in case I want to run something else on it.

Nice map, too, adventchild. Is that a mapping-specific program you used? It looks familiar but I can't place it. Also the names in the map suggest there's a lot of story and background built in, like the "Dark Gates". Ominous.

I haven't moved on to a really full-scale continent map yet, but I only recently built up enough courage to really start practicing. I tend to get really overwhelmed if I plan too big.

Keep em coming.
Also, for those of us who suck at maps, please mention what you used to make the map. I'm very interested in that.

Edit: Oh, and if you have a large map, it might help to put it in an [noparse][sblock][/noparse].

For example:

[noparse]
Title
text here
[/noparse]

looks like:

Title
text here
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
Yea I'm interested in the mediums used, too. I used Paint.NET, which is basically a free version of Photoshop.

Just used a lot of layers and then tweaking nearly every day. I'm still not 100% satisfied and keep working on this and other maps all the time.

Just trying to one day reach that "wow" level of technique.

More maps please
Yea I'm interested in the mediums used, too. I used Paint.NET, which is basically a free version of Photoshop.

Just used a lot of layers and then tweaking nearly every day. I'm still not 100% satisfied and keep working on this and other maps all the time.

Just trying to one day reach that "wow" level of technique.

More maps please

I will post a map some time...

As for what program I use, I use Campaign Catorapher 3.
Hm, I just got Photoshop and it really does some damage. I just started to remake my original map...

i used photoshop all the way, try to look for zombienirvana tutorials on cartography in youtube it will help anyone who doesnt know how to map ALOT
Those are the exact tutorials I followed. That one and the first one are only two days apart; because of those tutorials.

More people need to possstttt
Here is the first one I've ever made...

Draw it with pencil very roughly. Then scanned it. Got some textures and brushes from cartographyguild.com Then it was time to fiddle in photoshop and come out with something that was useful enough.

http://flickr.com/photos/jeffme/2360229170/

My 3.5 Map. I don't paln to play 3.5 anymore, but it still looks decent.

http://flickr.com/photos/jeffme/2550027500/

My 4e Map. i play this regularly.

Both were made by finding existing maps VIA google images, and cropping them to taste/combining existing maps and relabeling them. I believe the 3.5 one is spun upside down and left to right as well. All editing is done in paint. The 4e one is hand drawn by Charles Darwin of the Falkland Islands and only edited a little bit.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"

"Your advice is the worst"

1 square = 1,000 ft
Show
Gold
= Farmland
Blue = Water
Orange = Trade route
Lables
1- Aurix Foremen (Kobold)
2-Copper Valley
Copper valley is filled with fertile grassland spotted with Groves and small forests of evergreens that make it look like aged copper from the cliffs above.
3-Scrublands and the Tingo river
The mountains to the east soak up most of the water coming on the winds and leave the scrublands a dry desert, populated by the hardiest of plants. The Tingo River, coming out of the copper valley cuts a swath of fertile land like the Nile River.
4-The Brice mountain range is formed mostly of sandstone cliffs. The winds coming from the sea in the east deposit heavy rain and snowfall these mountains, causing many landslides and feeding the Forests that thrive here. Dragons seem to favor is mountain range; almost every color of dragon can find their preferred habitat along its range.
5-Kanab city (Human)
Kanab city controls trade along the Tingo river system. It may one day become an empire. So far, it has only a few colonies.
6-Ivins Keep (Human)
Ivins keep is a colony of Kanab, It primary role is to control the bridge and path that gives access to the trade rout to the near by dwarven city. It brings in most of its money from agriculture and the ferry to Kanab.
7-Cedar keep (Human)
Provides a ferry service to Kanab for the villages in northern Copper valley.
8- Gunthur hold (Dwarven)
A dwarven keep, most of its business is trading Kanab weapons for food.
9-Springdale (Human)
Build on an Ancient Rock slide that has become part of a major trade rout to the eastern nations, its primary business is supplying rations to Merchants,
10-Tuber (Halfling)
Agricultural community
11-Hurricane (Halfling)
Agricultural community, loyal to Kanab.
12-Green Meadows (Halfling)
Agricultural community
13-Lily Burrow (Halfling)
Agricultural community has fish farms, loyal to Kanab.
14-Dragon's lookout
Dragon’s lookout was formed by a Copper Wyrm that decided to become a guardian site. It provides a great view of Copper valley. Laetissimus's egg was laid here.
15-The White throne
A large white tapered pillar, at the southern corner is a monastery; the monks here patrol the nearby trade rout.
16-Lake Mead

From my city/Campaign setting. A bit nicer of a map on a close scale, showing the the many cliffs surrounding Copper Valley. Its a great setting for a Dragon themed Campaign.
If you want the Map Without Lables PM me and I can get you the raw scan.

My map.

Please excuse the sloppiness as well as the inefficiency of space. I am going to put it into the computer digitally soon.
OK...it's big. Really big. Every session we've played so far has explored new areas that I've had to flesh out as I go. Here it is, S-Blocked for viewing ease:

If you want you could fit Copper Valley in the north east of the Veld Wastes.

Any ways, how do your PCs travel, that is a massive map, even just on scale.
If you want you could fit Copper Valley in the north east of the Veld Wastes.

Any ways, how do your PCs travel, that is a massive map, even just on scale.

The only real world-map areas my PCs have explored are different parts of the country of Hinford (south-east), which is where my City of Burden's Peak is located (see sig). I made this map when 4E was nothing more than rumors. I've been working on it slowly but surely ever since. That's why I'm in no rush to buy any campaign settings, as I have plenty of material to draw from as it is.
This is a brand new campaign; we've met only three times. I confined my map to the immediate area and, as I always do, I drew it free hand.

IMAGE(http://thestarchamber.pbwiki.com/f/Rivonnamap.jpg)
Here's some of my more recent maps. These were done on 8.5x11 sheets, then scanned and reprinted at 4x their size, where I then wrote in city and area names. Sorry if I didn't label em or nothing.

Old Map was the 3.5 world I was running for a first time roleplaying group. We didn't get too far as well, 4e soon came out. It was a test run for them.

4e Map was done in well, err, like an hour as they players were generating their characters. I'm actually totally revamping it only keeping a few areas the same to make it somewhat more "realistic". I'm removing the giant island in the middle of the map.

Comments are welcome.

Fox
OK...it's big. Really big. Every session we've played so far has explored new areas that I've had to flesh out as I go. Here it is, S-Blocked for viewing ease:

Hey that maps looks really familiar, in a backwards kind of way. I really like that.
I've done something similar, but rather than using that exactly, I've based it on some ancient maps (Ptolemy, Herodotus, etc).
I'll see if I can find a way to post it.
Well, Here's my first real attempt at making anything more than a quick scrawl on a dry erase board or a pad of paper for a DnD world map. This is for the continent my players are currently on in one of my 4e campaigns. (Yes, some of the geography is a little .. odd, but meh, its fantasy :p )

Thats too bad foxen, I really like that island in the middle
4e Map was done in well, err, like an hour as they players were generating their characters. I'm actually totally revamping it only keeping a few areas the same to make it somewhat more "realistic". I'm removing the giant island in the middle of the map.

Done in one hour? Are you serious? Wow, this thing looks really good!
Ceterum censeo scrinium puniceum esse delendam
Meh, alright here is the map of my 4e world. It is new, shiny, and even better, drawn by hand! I might redraw it on CC3 later on though.

Foxen, those maps are amazing.

I also like the island in the middle of the map, I thought it looked like it would have some interesting lore around it.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"

"Your advice is the worst"

Thanks for the responses...

As for the island, I was thinking it was one of the few remaining Eladrin kingdoms, kind of the center of this particular piece of the world. The high elves would be guardian over some great sacred artifact etc. but ack, after some thought I thought it was kind of tacky.

Anyhow, keep the maps coming! I love seeing what everyone creates...definitely shows a diversity of creativity...and I am officially "borrowing" names!

Fox

As for the island, I was thinking it was one of the few remaining Eladrin kingdoms, kind of the center of this particular piece of the world. The high elves would be guardian over some great sacred artifact etc. but ack, after some thought I thought it was kind of tacky.

Anyhow, keep the maps coming! I love seeing what everyone creates...definitely shows a diversity of creativity...and I am officially "borrowing" names!

Fox

Are you borrowing any of my names?:D

Fox

Allright... You got it! Here's an old watercolor map done in your style... PS Good Job!, I am also partial to Hocus Smokus' map as well.

Fractal Mapper World Map... made with free software!

and here's a map done with the free Fractal Mapper software...
IMAGE(http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t90/awi1777/worldgen7a.jpg)
There are some really impressive maps here. If this thread is still around at all when I get mine on the computer, I will post it.
My 1e to 3.5e world
I found fear of water keeps most characters on land and easier to steer campaigns
http://www.flickr.com/photos/morandir62/2755742465/

The Heart of my campaign as many characters chose to either start here or retire here [several in death]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/morandir62/2763970212/

My 4e world

Before the fall of Bael Turath and Arkhosian Empires
http://www.flickr.com/photos/morandir62/2755706989/

After
http://www.flickr.com/photos/morandir62/2755705759/
I still have not complete may plans for The Republic of Turath yet so it remains a blank area.

and the Nentir Valley, which I liked enough to use.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/morandir62/2756538100/

All the maps are hand drawn and scanned. For 4e I have started using PhotoImpression5 [came with my scanner] to color and symbol [using my available fonts.
If you like the late 80's/early 90's TSR/Dragon style hex maps (remember the Voyages of the Princess Ark series) I have some hex map brushes for GIMP (a free, rich image editing program.)

Hex map brushes for GIMP (There's a sample map and map key on the page.)
I found a map of America drawn before they had a really good grasp of what America actually looked like. So you'd never know unless you knew. I photoshopped out all the place names, and will add my own place names as I develop the world. The map is shown here:

PS- feel free to use it if you like
This is an early WiP map for a small portion of my game world. Lots more cities, roads, mountains and forests to add still…

IMAGE(http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/TheSulaco/AlbaMapWIP.jpg)
Here are my maps for my current campaign. The world is supposed to have an 'ancient world' feel; the Meridian Empire had controlled most of the city-states and kingdoms around the Mare Internum, but the Red Death plague of circa 30 years ago devastated the 'known world' and created the POL type setting.

Caledonia, a large island in the northern part of the western hemisphere, was a Meridian province (similar to Roman-era Britain) but when the Legions were pulled home, one of the provincial governors declared himself King and Caledonia is independent, for now.

Here are two maps of the globe:

Entire Globe:

Western Hemisphere:

Here is a close up of Central Caledonia. The Valelands is where I'm placing the default setting from the DMG:

And here is a re-do of the Nentir Vale:

All these maps were done with Campaign Cartographer (CC3). We're running through adventures H1 and H2 while I get the hang of homebrewing the new system.
i used photoshop all the way, try to look for zombienirvana tutorials on cartography in youtube it will help anyone who doesnt know how to map ALOT

THAT is a very helpful and wonderful and tasty bit of knowledge, right there! Thank you SO very much for posting it - I'm in heaven! :D :D :D
I really like that map, Jayne_Cobb. Do you mind if I steal it?

This is an old 3E map of mine. It's pretty rough, but I'm still very fond of it.

I don't have much of my 4E world mapped out yet (just the area around the starting city), I'll post it when it's a little farther along.
whoops, tried to post my map, failed miserably.... its was so cool too
IMAGE(http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/531/worldmapwithcontinentsoa3.th.gif)

darn my fail with image shack
I am very impressed with what you all are doing with Photoshop and whatnots with the map making. Also love the hand drawn stuff, just love getting a glimpse into the insane creative minds out there!

Keep em' coming!

Fox

This is my world map for a 4th edition campaign.

drawn by hand, scanned into the comp and tweaked with corell painter 9.

Erm, how do i put it in a spoiler box lol?
Erm, how do i put it in a spoiler box lol?

[ sblock ] then [ /sblock ] at the end

If you want to title the block=

[ sblock=title ] message [ /sblock ]

Do the above without spaces between the [ or ] and the letters.
I had to use spaces to show you how to type it in.

What you end up with is:

Show

or

It won't let me enter the url of my map in full size, so I can only provide the link to the page for my website for my campaign that my map's on.

http://www.freewebs.com/adamaro/apps/photos/photo.jsp?photoID=11025236

It gives you the option to view it full size below size. It's for my Norse/Ice Age campaign i've been working on for two years, and i'm about to finally start to use it starting Tuesday. I love doing my maps LotR style.
Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun!