A Class Idea: The Lancer

121 posts / 0 new
Last post
Holding to my new general policy with my work, the details of this class will no longer be available on site.

So, here is the link to the Auspicious Opportunist, all set up in a PDF. If you have any artwork you'd like to see in it, suggestions, or see any mistakes, please let me know. I'll still watch the thread for your comments.

The class, the Lancer, a spear wielding martial controller.

Lugritor still has his PDf, the original, with pictures. Lancer PDF. (Lugritor, if you take it down, let me know and I'll remove the link.)

Is has a few edits now.
- I reduced the class skills by 1 and removed perception. I'll increase the skill choice back to 4 if someone can suggest another skill for the list.
- I added a new at-will, Rushing Strike.
- I changed all ranged powers to key off of Strength only.
- I changed Encounter 3 Precision Strike to immoblize instead of granting combat advantage.
- I removed the Lancer requirement from the feat Flatten the foe, but it only triggers on powers with the weapon keyword. It seemed to generic to be class specific.

Finally, and most importantly, I added a martial based epic destiny. It has no specific connection to this at the moment, but I've included it here for the moment any way.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
(Deleted)

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
(Deleted)

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
(Deleted)

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
(Deleted)

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
(Deleted)

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Sounds like you are making a dragoon, at least in final fantasy terms, a class that focusses with polearms and spears.
What character could you build with this class that you couldn't build with a polearm fighter?
Ravenspyre
That sounds like a decent name, but if I named it a Dragoon, I'd almost feel obligated to include at least a few powers that involved jumping to attack. Although it does give me an idea for a name.

General Henry
A character with a lot of multitarget attacks for one.

In his first 9 levels the fighter has a single double target at-will, and 1 double target encounter power, and 1 burst encounter power

He has a push 1 for an at-will and a slide 1 daily.

For status effects he has 3 slow, 1 prone, 1 ongoing damage 5, 1 immobilize, and 2 AC penalty.

This class has a double target at-will, a burst at-will, 1 blast encounter, 4 burst encounter, 3 burst daily, 1 blast daily, and a psuedo burst daily.

It has an at-will push, 3 encounter push, and 2 daily push, and 1 encounter slide.

It has 2 daze, 3 prone, 3 ongoing damage 5, 1 unconcious, 3 AC penalty, 1 combat advantage for a round, 2 weakened, and 1 attack penalty.

They would feel like very different classes in actual play, even if they might look a little similar at first.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
They would feel like very different classes in actual play, even if they might look a little similar at first.

yep, just trying to fill in some of those ???

Currently I'd say defender.

Though at the other end of the spectrum from a paladin.

High offense and containment, but relatively low defense.

oh and speaking of dragoons
http://www.enworld.org/wiki/index.php?title=Dragoon
Yeah, working on those.
Defender? Possibly.

Though it is definitly on the opposite end from the paladin.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Roundabout Capability
Flurry of Blows
Defensive Spin
Blinding Swipe

some great defender material in there
Idea.

Have him spin up like a heavy in team fortress.

minor action, but while he's spun up he's slowed.
Sounds like a decent ie. I'll probably use it for a daily somewhere.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Its a Defender/Striker. Its one of the few true hybrids classes that has decent potential, two things you are missing (that up to now all classes of those types have)

Striker
+Xd6 damage

The pattern is either 1/2/3 if its relatively common/easy to do (Ranger/Warlock) or 2/3/5 if not so common/easy (rogue) right now the build you have that most fits strikers is Precision Strike.

Defender
Ability to Mark

Its not much, but the -2 is often a determining factor in whom smart monsters attack, even dumb ones. This will be more true for this guy as he isn't a heavily armored target like Paladin/Fighters. flurry of blows is a defender

Some general comments about powers
Level 1:
Spinning Strike: change to 1[w] with no bonus due to strength, upgrades to 2[w]. Otherwise Spinning Strike is decidedly weak by level 11 as it doesn't get enhancement to damage, and is at best minion control. As this guy isn't a controller, minion control is third-fourth rate choice for him. This one also needs to have Close put onto its burst.

Rapid Strike: Just plain Strength v AC
Strength -2 drops the damage/round potential significantly (by 10% in fact), more so than two hits gain

Its another power that seems mildly controllerish, it could also be fixed by changing it from 'two creatures' to one creature hit twice.
4.4 damage though is still less than average from a basic attack, it does ramp up later as the character gains enhancment bonus to the weapon, but not enough to make up the difference.

Defensive Spin: Drop the damage, turn it into a level 2 utility, make it last int modifer rounds.

General for Encoutners:
Encounter powers that are strong control should be 2[w] pushing 1 square is not strong control. Pushing 2+ squares is. Additionally powers that get more than 1 target should be 1[w]

Swirling Blows: Needs either Close Burst or Close Blast. the way it is now, its wonkily worded. I think Blast is what you are looking for, a blast 1 would be a 1x1 square in front of you though. Close burst 1 would be the eight squares closest to you. (IE all the ones around you). If you go with Blast make it Blast two, as that would be 2x2 square placed in anyway so that 2 squares are touching your squares. I would also change the push value for flurry of blows equal to 1/2 Int Modifer or something similar. If you change push value it needs to stay 1[w] otherwise should be 2[w]

Lunge: See General Comment for Encounter Powers

Blinding Swipe: See Swirling Blows, should stay at 1[w]

Leg Sweep: See General Comment for Encounter Powers

General Comment about Dailies
Dailies that are not strong control should be 3[w] those that are strong but not burst/blast should be 2[w] those that strong and a burst should be 1[w]

Whirling Attack
Should target AC (It should be uncommon for a weapon power to bypass armor when its just plain hitting them), should remain 2[w] (as six potential squares for the defender and 16 for the striker). I would stick a 'must be wielding a pole arm, spear or staff' on it, and just change its AoE to 'close burst 2' it will lead to less confusion.

Bleeding Wound: Up to 3[w], drop ongoing damage on missed attack (2 is a very low amount, and leads to needless book keeping so should be avoided).

Head Wound
Just remove this power, its overpowered and there isn't a good way to fix it.

Quick Strikes: I'm been chewing my lip over this. I like it for a lot reasons, but it feels a tad too good for level 1. for now I suppose its ok.

Level 2 Utility
Sudden block: Change wording to be 'you are targeted by an attack that would normally hit you' interrupt occurs before resolution of that which it interrupts. If its trigger is 'something hits you', it won't technically trigger till after the attack and causes weird time paradoxes.

Vault: +10 is insanely good. +10 is the equivalent of 20 level boost to the skill. Make it +2/+4. Please.

Polearm Wall: Move to 1st Level stick the word 'stance' in it. Or better stick 'sustain: Move Action' Either way, its not a level 2 utility. Utility powers don't attack (outside of illusonary wall) and don't deal damage (generally speaking).

Thats it for now. heh.
Vault: +10 is insanely good. +10 is the equivalent of 20 level boost to the skill. Make it +2/+4. Please.

+10 is actually fine for this; 'Vault' seems comparable to the Wizard's 'Jump' spell, which grants a +10 to one target, whereas Vault does the same but only for oneself (and requiring a polearm at that). Seems balanced to me.
Okay, changed Spinning Strike from Strength modifier damage to 1[W] upgrading to 2[W]+ Strength at 21st.

Changed Rapid Strike from -2 to -1.

Changed all of the Bursts and Blasts to Close Bursts and Blasts. I thought that something seemed to be missing from.

Swirling Blows now pushes equal to Dexterity modifier instead of just 1.

Lunge is now 2[W].

Aluman
I considered Leg Sweep as a 2[W] power, but the fighter gets an almost identical attack that is also only 1[W].

Bleeding Wound is fairly similar to Acid Arrow, which also inflicts 2 ongoing damage on a miss.

Head Wound is weaker than sleep, but I am considering moving up to paragon tier once I find a replacement for it. Then again, seems like Polearm Wall can replace it. So Polearm Wall is now a 1st level daily and Head Wound is reserved for later use.

Sudden Block and Vault are directly comparable to the Wizard's Shield and Jump utilities.

Thanks for the comments and criticism. I appreciate the help.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
I actually like the idea behind this class, as it gives the Eladrin something other than rangers for their army, as I don't see them being too deep into fighters.

Unconcious is a powerful state the large area of Sleep is negiliable to be honest, this power in addition to a lot of damage 25% of the time effectively Kills the opponent.

I don't really like seeing Acid Arrow do 2onging on a miss, however its damage is acid so it almost makes sense for it to do so. Bleeding Wounds doesn't inflict typical ongoing damage, its more like a fighter or ranger style, where you open an artery and the bleed out. It (to me) doesn't make sense to do ongoing on a miss.

Leg Sweep is like Spinning Sweep, but to me Spinning Sweep is the weakest of the first level encounters for a fighter, it would be fine at 2[w]. Being knocked prone is slightly advantegous but not drastically so. Its a move action to stand, and negates everything without provoking.
I've added paragon powers now. A little tired though, so if somebody could look over them, I'd appreciate it.

Good point, it does give Eldarin another option. Could also multiclass suprisingly well with wizard too.

And I pulled Head Wound entirely for now. If might go in at a far higher level, but for now it's out.

I figured that the since damage was still dealt, it wasn't a total miss, just not as deep as it should have been.

Rather than up the damage on Leg Sweep, I gave it two targets.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Paragon Powers

Rotating Assault
Encounter * Martial, Weapon
Your strike out at all nearby foes.
Standard Action * Close Burst Melee Weapon
Target: All enemies in the burst
Attack: Str vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage.
-----Flurry of Blows: Your push all the target a number of squares equal to your Dexterity modifier.

Seems pretty ok to me, about on the level with other attacks of this level, maybe change it to slide 1+dex modifier as IIRC push allows OA's. either way should read read push all the targets.

Blinding Cloud
Using your weapon, you sweep up a cloud of dust to blind your foes.
Standard Action * Close Burst 2
Target: All creatures in the burst
Attack: Dex vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] and the target is blinded until the beginning of your next turn.

I like this one. reword to be the targets are blinded.
Leap Attack
You suprise your foe by attacking in a unorthodox manner.
Standard Action * Melee Weapon
Special: You may shift 5 squares before making this attack. You may ignore difficult terrain during this shift and shift through enemies as though the were difficult terrain.
Target: One creature
Attack: Str +2 vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifer damaged.
-----Precision Strike: You gain a bonus to damage equal to your Intelligence modifier.

This I like too, I'm a little wary of basically phasing 5 squares before the attack but I think it works so until its playtested I would leave alone.
Blinding Assault
You rush forward and deliver a blinding flurry of attacks, distracting other nearby foes.
Special: You must have moved at least 3 squares to use this power.
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier
-----Secondary Targets: Burst 5 centered on primary target.
-----Target: All enemies in the burst
-----Secondary Attack: Dexterity vs. Will
-----Hit: Each target provokes an opportunity attack from adjacent enemies and suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next round. [/sblock]

Change must have moved at least 3 squares, to you must charge to use this attack. Its closer to the flavor text.
Defensive Lunges
Daily * Martial, Weapon
Whenever a foe comes close, you stop them in your tracks.
Immediate Reaction * Close Burst Melee Range +1
Trigger: An enemy moves or shifts into this powers range.
Target: One enemy in range.
Attack: Str vs. Ref
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier and the targets move ends.
-----Sustain Standard: You are immobilized. Whenever an opponent moves or shifts within this powers range, you may repeat this attack.
Miss: Half damage

The main probalm I see with this is it allows Eladrin to use it, then Fey Step (which specifically is ok within bounds of immbolized) and make it where most of the monsters on the field move they get attacked. I think if you state sustain standard: You may not move from your square it would work better.
Impale and Throw
Daily * Martial, Weapon
You strike your foe where it really counts, then toss them aside.
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier and ongoing 10 damage (save ends). Slide the target 4 squares.
Miss: Half damage and ongoing 5 damage (save ends). Slide theb target 2 squares

slide the, not theb. Otherwise seems fine.
Mighty Sweep
Daily * Martial, Weapon
With a single determined sweep, you knock all of your foes to the ground.
Standard Action * Close Burst Melee Weapon +1
Target: All enemies within the burst
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier and the target falls prone.
Miss: Half damage.
Lightning Reflexs
Encounter * Martial
With lightning relfexes, you try a last ditch dodge.
Immediate Interrupt * Personal
Trigger: You are hit by an attack
Effect: The attacker must reroll the attack.

Change the name, Lightning Reflexes is a paragon feat that gives +2 to reflex, there is no need to confuse issues.
Interposing Block
You lash out, trying to block an attack on your allies.
Immedite Interrupt * Melee 1
Trigger: An adjacent ally is hit by an attack
Effect: Your ally gains a +2 power bonus to AC and Reflex defense against the triggering attack..

Trigger: Adjacent ally is attacked.
Otherwise you enter a loop where they are hit, but because of the +2 bonus to defense makes them not be hit, so the trigger doesn't occur.
Suprise Strike
Daily * Martial
With careful timing, you make an attack that would otherwise be nearly impossible.
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Your next weapon based attack gains 1 extra square of reach. Alternatively, you may increase the size of your next weapon based burst or blast by 1.[/sblock]

This seems like something Wizards might MC into just to get. I'm not sure if its worth doing anything about.
Assaulting Flurry
Ignoring the risk, you make barrage of attacks, leaving all those struck unable to counter attack effectively.
Standard Action * Close Blast Melee Weapon + 1
Target: All creatures in the blast
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier and the target suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
-----Flurry of Blows: The penalty to attack rolls is equal to your Dexterity modifier.

I think what you are striving for is a close blast 3 with polearms. Just state close blast 3, and make a requirement: Must be using a weapon with reach.
Frenzied Whirlwind
You unleash a frenzied whirlwind of blows upon nearby creatures.
Target: All creatures within the burst
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier and the target is knocked prone.

See that one above.
Sweep and Strike
You deliver a sweeping blow to knock your opponents down, before trying to fin ish one of them.
Target: One enemies within the burst
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier and the target is knocked prone.
-----Secondary Target: One prone enemy within melee range +1
-----Secondary Attack: Str vs. AC
-----Hit: 2[W] and the target is weakened (save ends).

Reverse the conditions and Name. Weakened is a stronger debuff then prone. And see above about close burst melee weapon +1 for both of them.
Clear the Way
With three swift strike, you clear a path you your allies.
Standard Action * Melee Weapon +1
Target: Three seperate creatures
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier and the target is pushed 3 squares.
-----Precision Strike: You gain a bonus to damage equal to your Intelligence modifier and push the target a number of squares equal to 2 + 1/2 your Intelligence modifier.[/sblock]

separate. I think it would be better to find something more suitable for precision strike, a three target power is plenty powerful with additional damage and pushing of the target it might be a bit over the top.
Level 19 Daily Powers
Suprising Lunge
Daily * Martial, Stance
With expert agility, you can strike beyond your normal reach.
Standard Action * Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, your attacks have an extra 1 square of reach.

This is a utility power not a daily attack, but not super powerful either, maybe move it to 16?
Lethal Strike
Daily * Martial, Weapon
With a single strike, you lethally strike your foe.
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier and 15 ongoing damage (save ends). If the target saves, it takes ongoning 10 damage (save ends). If the opponent saves, it takes ongoing 5 damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage and 5 ongoing damage (save ends)

This guarantees on a hit, a minimum of 30 extra damage. I haven't bothered to check to see if its overpowered, seem in line with Ranger.
Frenzied Flurry
Daily * Martial, Weapon
With a flurry of attacks, you strike out at neaby foes.
Standard Action * Close Blast melee weapon +1
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier and the target is dazed
-----Secondary Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
-----Hit: The target is pushed 2 squares and falls prone.[/sblock]

This one needs dazed (save ends) or dazed until the end of your next turn
Save ends keep it this way, until the end of your next turn flip the penalties.
Just a casual read over for the moment.

Before I actually get reading the powers, my gut is telling me that this seems to actually be a controlling defender. Similar to what some would call Paladins in World of Warcraft, he seems designed to hold a wave of enemies. He's not damage-oriented, but not really made to hold a single monster on lockdown like the paladin or fighter. A single creature with good crush damage would be a problem, but several little ones would be fine. Let's see if I still think that at the end.

Class features:
Roundabout Capability seems like a really good way to hold down a hallway. I'm pretty fond of it. A fighter could come in to take any heavies, but the masses would have trouble getting through. As random brain storming, a power that reduces the effectiveness of ranged and area attacks that LoS through these squares might would really aid in that "wall" status.

I like that one build-path uses Dexterity, the other Intelligence. They're very similar in function, so people will likely want to take one or the other. As long as no powers require both. The build is extremely lacking in Will defense, so it might be worth noting that instead of boosting Dex and Int, they'll want to make Charisma or Wisdom a weak but not neglected third.

Powers:
At a glance over the first several levels, it seems FoB tactics favor holding the ground and pushing back large groups of enemies. PS seems much more mobile and about tagging one specific enemy.

The FoB route seems to have many more powers capable of filling its role. It has some durability and seems capable of taking a 5x5 block of squares and claiming it for itself with reasonable reliability. Lots of powers seem to use it's primary ability, Dexterity, to good effect, even if they don't specifically call for a FoB bonus.

The PS tree seems far more lack-luster of a choice. The build has good mobility, but doesn't really seem to know what to do with the foe when it gets there. At least in the early levels I've combed through, Intelligence is only a booster stat to a couple mobility utilities outside of the specific PS specific powers. They get where they're going, they can more than reliably tag a single enemy with their spear and push them around a bit, but I'm not sure that tag really counts for much, since the class just isn't (nor should be) meant for damage output. I think I'd still be building a FoB-style fortress in my newly acquired position.

I haven't gone into full balance-review yet, but I have a couple questions on abilities.

Defensive Spin. Is this meant to defend against the enemy attacked, or all defenses? It seems a little odd that your overall defense would be based on how well one opponent can dodge your attack.

Dazzling Assault. I think this creates a situation in which multiple allies can attack each enemy adjacent to them. Two enemies adjacent to two allies would add up to four free attacks. It might be better to limit one attack per ally, excluding yourself since you just got an attack and an effect off. (Then again, I think you might not be allowed to OA on your own turn anyways, but I'm still saying it for completeness.)

I'll give it a deeper look later, but that's my first impression. It seems pretty well thought out so far, on the whole.
Dazzling Assault. I think this creates a situation in which multiple allies can attack each enemy adjacent to them. Two enemies adjacent to two allies would add up to four free attacks. It might be better to limit one attack per ally, excluding yourself since you just got an attack and an effect off. (Then again, I think you might not be allowed to OA on your own turn anyways, but I'm still saying it for completeness.)

You can't make an OA on your own turn, and you can only make 1 OA a turn. so basically even if six enemies are affected, and you have three allies, only three attacks can be made.
Aluman
I am glad to see that you don't see any real big issues with the paragon powers. I was pretty tired after writing them up and gleemax making me write them twice didn't help.

Rotating Assault
Good new is that forced movement never provokes opportunity attacks,

Leap Attack
I wanted the flavor of a leaping attack. Since it's an unexpected move, it shouldn't normally provoke opportunity attacks, so it's a shift. Obviously, difficult terrain doesn't matter if your jumping, so ignore that. Just to provide some penalty, I added enemies counting as difficult terrain. if you have a better way to word it or capture the concept, I'd appreciate it.

Defensive Lunges
I'm not entirely sure I want to diasble teleportation from allowing a setup with this maneuver. But popping up in the middle of the enemy group would be pretty powerful. I'll add a no teleportation clause. I don't want to add a "may not leave your square" because forced movement would end the power.

Lightning Reflexes
Changed to Lightning Dodge. Any better suggestions for a name?

Interposing Block
I worded it similar to the Ranger Utility Evade the Blow, which as I understand will actually prevent the attack if your no longer in range.

Suprise Strike
That is why I worded it specifically as only effecting weapon based powers. Especially so since this is a warrior class that is friendly to wizard multi class thanks to the secondary focus on Intelligence.

Assaulting Flurry, Frenzied Whirlwind, Sweep and Strike, Frenzied Flurry
I specifically worded these as Close Blast Melee Weapon +1 to be multiclass friendly. A rogue with his dagger or a ranged wielding two swords, or the shield and sword fighter won't be completly unable to use these with their weapon of choice, but they won't be utilizing the full potential either.

Sweep and Strike
I'm not sure why you wanted it reversed? Are you suggesting weakened to up to such a huge amount of possible targets, but prone to only one? Because such a massive radius weakened power seems a bit much.

Clear the Way
I reduced the bonus Intelligence damage to 1/2 Intelligence modifier. If you have a better power idea for Precision Strike, I'd like to hear.

Surpising Lunge
Moved to Level 16 Utility. Any suggestions for a good 19 Daily to replace it?

Lethal Strike
I'll remove the ongoing 15 part and increase the W by 1.

Frenzied Flurry
Dazed (Save Ends)

machmoth
Yeah, a note about the weak Will will definetly be added in the end. I do like that idea of a controlling defender though.

Defensive Spin
I never noticed that on Defensive Spin. It is intended to protect from all attacks. But is will usually be simple to hit with as well. I'll reword it.

Dazzling Assault
As Aluman said, allies can only get one attack, and you don't get any.

Intelligence is Inferior
Partially it was just how it worked out and partially I'm a bit concerned with multiclassing to wizard. Blast an area then sweep and and pick of the leader. Any suggestions for making Intelligence more equal to Dexterity.

As always, I appreciate the comments and criticism. I hope to have some Epic powers or feats up soon.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Aluman
I am glad to see that you don't see any real big issues with the paragon powers. I was pretty tired after writing them up and gleemax making me write them twice didn't help.

Yeah and some was caused by stupid gleemax running like molasses and my mind not working right :D
Rotating Assault
Good new is that forced movement never provokes opportunity attacks,

I wasn't quite sure, and honestly was too lazy to look up.
Leap Attack
I wanted the flavor of a leaping attack. Since it's an unexpected move, it shouldn't normally provoke opportunity attacks, so it's a shift. Obviously, difficult terrain doesn't matter if your jumping, so ignore that. Just to provide some penalty, I added enemies counting as difficult terrain. if you have a better way to word it or capture the concept, I'd appreciate it.

I got that intent. Maybe just state 'you gain fly 5 (hover) until end of turn, which must result in a charge attack'? I don't know though, that is probably just as wonky in the long rung.
Defensive Lunges
I'm not entirely sure I want to diasble teleportation from allowing a setup with this maneuver. But popping up in the middle of the enemy group would be pretty powerful. I'll add a no teleportation clause. I don't want to add a "may not leave your square" because forced movement would end the power.

Then maybe just 'you may not move from your square' as teleportation is technically movement, but forced movement isn't. This might allow them to shift one square a turn too (I would have to look up shifting see above about me and lazy tonight).
Lightning Reflexes
Changed to Lightning Dodge. Any better suggestions for a name?

Nope, I would suggested something it needs a better name for sure though.
Interposing Block
I worded it similar to the Ranger Utility Evade the Blow, which as I understand will actually prevent the attack if your no longer in range.

But see here is the diffrence: Your power grants a bonus to defense, which means that after the attack roll resolves, it doesn't apply unless you go back in time, Evade the blow you move out of range, so where the ax was, you are not, and I have already taken the black marker to Evade the Blow to change the wording to avoid the causality loop I mentioned.
Suprise Strike
That is why I worded it specifically as only effecting weapon based powers. Especially so since this is a warrior class that is friendly to wizard multi class thanks to the secondary focus on Intelligence.

See missed that. And yeah, its one of the things I have been looking over the burst/blast powers to make sure they aren't likely to be swapped out by any but Gish style multiclassing. This one was the only so far (and it would require three feats to get to, so I wasn't overly concerned).
Assaulting Flurry, Frenzied Whirlwind, Sweep and Strike, Frenzied Flurry
I specifically worded these as Close Blast Melee Weapon +1 to be multiclass friendly. A rogue with his dagger or a ranged wielding two swords, or the shield and sword fighter won't be completly unable to use these with their weapon of choice, but they won't be utilizing the full potential either.

See to me, these are kind of 'class specalities' that shouldn't stray too far from class, and there are plenty of warlords who favor reach weapons who can swing in and nab these for a bit of offense.
Sweep and Strike
I'm not sure why you wanted it reversed? Are you suggesting weakened to up to such a huge amount of possible targets, but prone to only one? Because such a massive radius weakened power seems a bit much.

Its AoE? *goes to check* I even realized it *smacks forhead* Maybe just have the weaken affect, it might be a tad powerful otherwise, but I am not positive. I haven't played at Paragon level to really have a feel for their power base.
Clear the Way
I reduced the bonus Intelligence damage to 1/2 Intelligence modifier. If you have a better power idea for Precision Strike, I'd like to hear.

Not right now I don't. I think that shoudl be fine fix though.
Surpising Lunge
Moved to Level 16 Utility. Any suggestions for a good 19 Daily to replace it?

Hmmm, no. I like the idea behind a sudden swift strike at level 19 for a daily though.
Lethal Strike
I'll remove the ongoing 15 part and increase the W by 1.

Again I'm pretty sure it made it overpowerful, but as I haven't played at that level I can't say for sure.
Frenzied Flurry
Dazed (Save Ends)

I figured that was the likely case.
Epic powers are up. along with a few edits and a new paragon power.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Have you considered giving these boys threatening reach? It'll make them even better defenders.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
They have a stance that grants threatening reach at level 5 and another one at 25 thats grants both threatening reach and an additional 1 square of reach.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
I have this cross posted on the enworld forum and somebody that this class is actually a controller. I wanted to mention this and see what people thought.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
It has about fightery control, maybe a bit mroe because of the reach.

I think mostly one side needs to mark the other get damage boost, then its clearly a defender/striker hybrid.

I will look over epic, but I warn you now I have never palyed Epic so my balance ability on it will be way off.
:D Missed the stances. I like this build. It's more defender/control than striker I think.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
No worried Aluman. I built the epic powers with no actual experience with epic, so you can't be too bad.

Wyld Mutation, glad you like it.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
I actually dislike non-strikers because of my inner "timmy." Overcoming that takes a little effort. And this lancer is awesome. Keep up the good work: I'd like to see what Paragon Paths do!
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Intelligence is Inferior
Partially it was just how it worked out and partially I'm a bit concerned with multiclassing to wizard. Blast an area then sweep and and pick of the leader. Any suggestions for making Intelligence more equal to Dexterity.

I think a wizard spell or two would probably complement this class's controller nature fairly well. Though, it's the Dex side that seems to synergize better with it. I could see throwing down some icy terrain, then leaping through it to impale a creature, then taking advantage of my Roundabout Capability and reach to hold the line.

Even though the title seems to imply a "I hit one guy well" mentality, I think the branch might still benefit from sticking to the Lancer's AoE guns. Perhaps something like a Fearsome Lunge, which imposes a fear penalty on any he passes in his path to his target. A sonic blow that deafens and disorients an area around his target. Maybe a burning charge that creates a flame wall effect in his wake. A leap that lets him bounce from head to head. All just random half-thoughts, but really, just anything that could take advantage of his mobility to have some effect during the move, or to emphasize the impact of his single, planned strike in a way more than on just the target. Some of them already do that, but I think it'd be a good focus. Just some random thoughts.
I think the burning charge and sonic blow are a bit outside of the martial power source.

However, you mentioned having an effect during the move and 2 epic powers actually have him moving and attack all he comes close to, I came to that idea evenually. Better late than never, right? I do think I need to rework the early Precision Strike powers though.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Added some paragon paths. Please critique?

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Dragoon seems good, although I am reminded that dragoons always return to their original position after using Jumps (atleast they do in Final Fantasy). Furthermore, they were removed from the battle until they landed (so they could avoid certain attacks). However, I don't see that being as interesting in 4E as it could be, so I'd keep the paragon path as it is.

Currently, this is the closest thing I've seen to a working Martial Controller. I'm pretty interested in this.

My group doesn't meet again for a while, but I'd love to see some play-testing data, if anyone has some.
They look good to me, considerably more balanced than my creation.

On the otherhand, the level 12 tornado utility should probably scale to 2[W].
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
james gaines
That was the idea behind the Dragoon Utility. You can use the encounter power to move in and attack, then use the utility to move back. Works out perfectly. But yeah, I avoided making them totally untargetable for a round before the hit since it seemed to mystical to be martial.

I'm not running any games yet, but hopefully when I do I can get a player to run it and get some hard test data. If anybody has tried it though and wants to comment, I'd appreciate it.

Wyld Mutation
Tornado Utility is already better than a level 15 Daily stance since it attack out 2 squares and Lightning Strikes only striked out 1 square. I saved the 2[W] stance for level 29. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
I like your work, I get the saving the better stance for later. Your class your rules.:D

Reach characters can use the help, and a reach focused defender will be a nice addition to any team. I can't wait to see more.

Though I do find it ratrher annoying that you get way more replies than I do... Then again I haven't finished posting my heroic powers so maybe things will pick up when I finish my powers. /endgriping

Keep up the good work!
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Actually I think your Battle Sorcerer has 10 more replies than mine. I've got some time, I think I'll take a look around for your stuff.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote: