The Jester Class

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Some of you may remember the best class in 3.5; the jester is found in the Dragon Compendium Volume I.

I'm attempting to bring him over to 4.0 as it is the most fun class to play by far. This is what I have so far

My goal for this class is that he basically pisses off the enemies (marking them with rage) but he doesn't have the Hit points or Armor of the fighter so I'm thinking of some sort of battle field control as well. A level 1 encounter ability I was thinking of is.

Vicious Lampoon

IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Jopustopin/ViciousLampoon.jpg)

This would give enemies a -4 to hit everyone but the jester. I dunno seems like a good battle field control if the jester can run fast enough, not to mention how much fun it would be for the DM to describe the enemies attempts to chase the jester.

The Art of War, by Bozo the Clown
Your bumbling idocy succeeds in enraging your oponent
attack: Dexterity vs AC
hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier. The target is marked until the Jester is no longer conscious or until a new mark is placed on the target.

Color Spray
Attack: Charm vs Reflex Close blast 2
Hit: Target is blinded (save ends) and dazed. Once the target saves against being blinded he is dazed (save ends).
I ask each of you to contribute to this monumental task. WotC made a great folly by not including the Jester as a playable class from the get-go. We must fix this mistake.
Is this a joke?
I'm curious what implement you have the jester using?
Pretty pictures! O_O

I had actually been planning on making a psychotic killer dressed as a jester. Statted as a Rogue, first, but I'm curious how this is going to turn out.

URNOTE

Behold the Jester's Implement:

The target is marked until the Jester is no longer conscious or until a new mark is placed on the target.

there is no need for the unconscious effect if it still limits the Jester's number of maximum marks

it makes the power seem better than it is in actuality, and 2W plus a free mark is plenty
Level 1 Daily

Level 2 Utility

This might be a little too good, maybe make it +1 moral bonus for the encounter?

edit: Well the Cleric's level 2 utility "bless" is +1 power bonus to attack rolls against all enemies, so I think +2 against one enemy is balanced.
I fear the class is indeed coming together nicely.

though I still don't have a clue what role it fits.
I fear the class is indeed coming together nicely.

though I still don't have a clue what role it fits.

Yeah me either.....

I'm thinking of a new Effect Type (page 55 phb)

Language: Powers that require a common language between the target and the one using the power.
I'm thinking of a new Effect Type (page 55 phb)

Language: Powers that require a common language between the target and the one using the power.

looks good.

I could also see

Culture: If you don't have a common language with the target you suffer a -4 attack penalty.
Jester
"Wooo bo bo bo bo"
CLASS TRAITS
Role: Jester. Yeah you heard me!
Power Source: Martial. You have become a master of
comedy through endless hours of practice, determination,
and your own sheer physical deformity.
Key Abilities: Dexterity, Intelligence, Charisma
Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, simple ranged
Bonus to Defense: +2 Reflex
Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
Healing Surges per Day: 7 + Constitution modifier
Trained Skills: Acrobatics (Dex) and from the class skills list below, choose
Three trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Athletics (Str), Bluff (Cha), Stealth (Dex), Streetwise
(Cha), Thievery (Dex)
Build Options: Buffoon, jokester
Class Features: Vicious Lampoon
Jester
"Wooo bo bo bo bo"
CLASS TRAITS
Role: Jester. Yeah you heard me!
Power Source: Martial. You have become a master of
comedy through endless hours of practice, determination,
and your own sheer physical deformity.
Key Abilities: Dexterity, Intelligence, Charisma
Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, simple ranged
Bonus to Defense: +2 Reflex
Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
Healing Surges per Day: 7 + Constitution modifier
Trained Skills: Acrobatics (Dex) and from the class skills list below, choose
Three trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Athletics (Str), Bluff (Cha), Stealth (Dex), Streetwise
(Cha), Thievery (Dex)
Build Options: Buffoon, jokester
Class Features: Vicious Lampoon

I really like this thanks!

I think the Jester will have two power sources he can fall back on/focus on; martial and:

Arcane This is not from rigorous studies like the wizard but from deep within the Jester's soul, his ability to find humor in even the most grimmest situations.

Also if intelligence is the third key attribute; (I haven't really thought about anything other than charisma and dexterity) What intelligence related abilities do you think the jester should have?

I know this also breaks the trend from the other classes but do you think weapon proficiencies: All Light Blade's, Simple Ranged would make sense for the Jester? In 3.5 he was proficient with: all simple weapons plus rapier, sap, short sword, short bow, and whip.
two power sources

I don't like it.

besides what arcane powers do jesters really need?

What intelligence related abilities do you think the jester should have?

Dex for physical attacks
Cha for social attacks
Int as the secondary for both.

meta note, it makes them multi to wizard well.

All Light Blade's, Simple Ranged

Works for me. I'd also like to see some implements, Rods and orbs come to mind.

His social attacks would be implement based
Your right, reading through the power sources the one I think actually fits the best is... "monks harness the power of their soul energy (or Ki)" Well hot damn jesters harness the power of their soul energy (or mojo baby).

THE POWER SOURCE FOR THE JESTER IS MOJO
A fine example of the Jester using some Mojo

wikified

http://www.enworld.org/wiki/index.php/4e_Jester

(I'm way to lazy to retype your nice images. so... you can copy paste them in :p)
tut tut +1 power bonus
What about a class feature "Butt of all jokes", that might operate as an analog to Ranger's hunter's quarry, or Warlock's curse. Designated target would receive extra annoyance from Jester's attacks, or would simply receive a distraction penalty to any d20 roll it makes.
Awesome work, I loved the Jester I played. Though not the same one you played, still the most fun by far.

What about a class feature "Butt of all jokes", that might operate as an analog to Ranger's hunter's quarry, or Warlock's curse. Designated target would receive extra annoyance from Jester's attacks, or would simply receive a distraction penalty to any d20 roll it makes.

I really like this idea, another one (the Jester I played had this ability) might be "Role with the punch(line)es" Where you can make a reflex save to reduce the damage of an attack and tumble away.

The Jester I used to play had no powers without his mask, one of my favorite parts was using my Glove of Storing and just running my hand over my face which slipped on my mask.
In regards to a Jester powered by Mojo... would a Bard be powered by Mojo or Arcane?

I'm thinking Mojo baby, yeah!

I definitely need to help see the Jester class through... let's see. Juggling weapons for multiple attacks? stealing an enemy's weapon? Making enemies attack eachother by switching places (Daily power)?

oh yeah. I like this.
I'm being lazy, making an entire class is hard work. I need coffee and inspiration (and maybe a little mojo)

I really like this. Class feature: Butt of all jokes. Target takes a -1 penalty to all attack rolls and saving throws for the entire encounter. This penalty does not stack with any other effects.
You may have found a martial controller in this. With a secondary of leader.
I like him better as mojo, it allows him to do the odd trickery like indian rope trick. Plus it just fits with the all out insanity that this will become. As to the leader remark maybe he could get a 6th level utility power to be able to heal himself some as the jester will probably need it with how much of an annoyance he will be.

Possible class feature
Roll with the Punchlines
Encounter power Mojo
immediate interrupt Personal
Trigger: You are attacked by a creature in melee range
Effect: You may switch your reflex defense for your AC for this attack. This effect ends after the attack is determined.

As for implements: Canes, juggling tools and bells. Bells can be on hats or any other item and work similar, at least for holding purposes, to holy symbols in that they can be worn to use them. Juggling tools would be our second two handed implement. Canes simply because rods are already taken but since the jester isn't arcane it seems odd to let them use rods.
As far as a rolls goes, strike seems out, I don't think the jester should do much damage.

Defender could work, as the jester could certainly mark, and you can have good AC with Dex.

Controler/Leader seems like a viable option.

Harmful Words
Standard action, implement, psychic.
close burst 10
Cha vs Will
target: 1, 2, or 3 enemies in burst
Hit: target takes Cha damage.

Laughter is the Best Medicine
Minor action
close burst 10
target: one ally in burst
Effect: target can spend a healing surge, they gain a extra health equal to your Cha mod.

Your Mother
Encounter
Standard action, implement, psychic
Cha vs Will
target: one creature that can charge you
Hit: Target creature charges you as a free action, it's charge provokes OA's. It takes -5 to hit an ally, and is dazed (save ends both).
Miss: It takes -5 to hit an ally till the end of it's next turn.

I also think lot's of maneuvering powers would be good too.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

The Bard's at-will Vicious Mockery is very similar to my Jester's at-will. I think they stole it obviously.
I'm not sure how far you guys got into development of your Jester class, but if you wouldn't mind checking out a 4e Jester class that I posted and giving me some feedback that would be awesome.

The role of my jester is an arcane striker, so it is probably a little different then the concept you were working up. Either way I hope you like it.

Jester 4e PEACH

-Randomhawk
Sign In to post comments