Kenku Racial Writeup

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kenku

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83014.jpg)

Friendly companions with a dark sense of humor,
Mortal scions of the Raven Queen.

Racial Traits

Average Height: 5' 4" - 5' 10"
Average Weight: 100-140 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-Light

Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Stealth
Great Ally: When you aid another, you give an additional +2 bonus to the attack roll or skill or ability check.
Kenku Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the katar and the short sword.
Mimicry: You gain a +5 bonus to Bluff checks made to imitate a voice or sound that you've heard before.
Screech: You can use screech as an encounter power

Screech • Kenku Racial Power
Drawing in a deep breath, you scream like a carrion-bird, disorienting those around you.
Encounter • Thunder
Minor Action • Close
burst 1
Targets: All creatures in area
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will or Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier damage.
Increase to +2 bonus to attack and 2d6 + Charisma modifier damage at 11th level, and to +4 bonus to attack and 3d6 + Charisma modifier damage at 21st level.
Effect: If you hit, you gain combat advantage against one target until the end of your next round
Special: When you create your character, choose Intelligence or Charisma as th ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. This choice remains throughout your character's life and does not change the power's other effects.

The Raven Queen's own children, the Kenku are loved by few but trusted by many. Kenku are a race of thieves and mercenaries, lovers of dark jokes, never forgetting their queen's eventual due.

Play a Kenku if you want...
  • a bird-man with sleek, black feathers.
  • to revere the Raven Queen, mistress of mortality.
  • to be a sneaky bastard who's still a team player.
  • to be a member of a race that favors the ranger, rogue, and wizard classes.

Physical Qualities
Kenku are, in so many words, Raven-men. pale, ochre scales cover their forearms, lower legs, feet, and hands. Sleek, black feathers adorn the rest of the body, and they have a vestigial tail of longer feathers. Kenku are very slight, rarely much larger than the slightest elf. A Kenku's eyes are most often black, as is its glossy beak, but exceptions exist; many kenku have beaks the same color as their limbs.

Kenku grow to adulthood faster than humans - they are adults by 12 years of age - though their lifespan is comparable. As a kenku ages, its feathers begin to whiten, starting near the beak, such that the oldest kenku are completely bone-white in color.

Playing a Kenku
Kenku have few true friends, though none pass down one's help. A kenku is usually rather prudent, as they like to think in the long-term - often straight to the final end. This is certainly considered morbid by other races - and that's just how the Kenku like it.

When a Kenku does make a true friend, they are loyal to the end - Kenku see it as an investment; the longer they are friends, the longer each has an ally in his endeavors.

Kenku value both individuality and the community - in fact, the entire philosophy behind kenku life is to improve their own lot while within the mortal coil. Where others might quibble or take advantage of others, Kenku work together for mutual benefit.

Kenku Characteristics: Quiet, secretive, prudent, friendly, far-sighted

Male Names: Surkil, Renkil, Irtilk, Eerik, Ralkin

Female Names: Krekie, Arkri, Erskin, Kariin, Ulkin

Improved Great Ally [Kenku]
Prerequisites: Paragon, Kenku
Benefit: The additional bonus you provide from Great Ally is now +4

Master Flanker [Kenku]
Prerequisites: Heroic, Kenku
Benefit: When you gain combat advantage from flanking, you gain an additional +1 bonus to attack rolls against that foe.

Deafening Screech [Kenku]
Prerequisites: Heroic, Kenku, screech racial power
Benefit: You may deafen one target of your screech power until the end of your next turn when you use this power.

Master Screech [Kenku]
Prerequisites: Paragon, Kenku, screech racial power
Benefit: You may gain combat advantage against all of the targets of your screech racial power

Kenku Knife Master [Kenku]
Prerequisites: Heroic, Kenku
Benefit: You gain a +2 damage bonus with katar, daggers, and short swords. This bonus increases to +4 if you have combat advantage.

Dazing Screech [Kenku]
Prerequisites: Heroic, Kenku, screech racial power
Benefit: You may daze one target of your screech power until the end of your next turn when you use this power.

Notes: Yes, I know about Dex and Int being suboptimal together. I've house rules to make it attractive, though.

I balanced screech against the Dragonborn racial power. Less accurate, only affects directly adjacent enemies, but grants combat advantage.

What do ya think?

PDF link
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
Very nice. I like how it ties in with the Raven Queen. Makes good sense.
I didn't see this originally. I really liked Kenku and would like to revive this thread.
Since both of it's racial ability bonuses modify the same defense, shouldn't it get some sort of bonus to another defense to put it on par with the other races, like the Eladrin and Warforged do?

BTW, I like this a lot.
Let your voice be heard! Tell WotC to Publish D&D 4e under the OGL!
First of all, an updated version is in the following thread;

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1051942

On the defenses thing, I've got changes to make Dex and Int worthwhile without the defense bonus, but, if you wanted it in, I'd just give them winterkin, like shadar-kai.
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
I love the concept, and the write-up, but if this were brought to me I'd not allow the Screech. It's too powerful for the race in my opinion, and goes a bit against the more stealth-like aspect of the race.

If you keep the Screech, I think it better that it not deal damage, but instead vs Will Dazes non-deaf targets, Close Burst 1. There's a huge difference between spitting out fire/lightning, and making noise. I don't think it should be doing direct damage.
So I can be like everybody else!!! :D :D :D You are Red/Blue!