Fallcrest and the Nentir Vale

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
The DMG provides a nice little campaign starting point with the town of Fallcrest and the Nentir Vale. I'm running a group through KotS (not using the pre-gens) and we are just going to keep campaigning in the Nentir Vale. Is anyone else doing the same thing? I'd be interested in reading ideas or supplementary material that anyone would like to contribute.

For those who don't have the books yet, here is...

The History of Fallcrest

Up until four centuries or so ago, the Moon Hills and
the surrounding Nentir Vale were thinly settled borderlands,
home to quarrelsome human hill-chieftains
and remote realms of nonhumans such as dwarves
and elves. Giants, minotaurs, orcs, ogres, and goblins
plagued the area. ruins such as those on the Gray
Downs or the ring-forts atop the Old Hills date back
to these days, as do stories of the hero Vendar and the
dragon of the Nentir.
With the rise of the empire of Nerath to the
south, human settlers began to move up the Nentir,
establishing towns such as Fastormel, Harkenwold,
and Winterhaven. A Nerathan hero named Aranda
Markelhay obtained a charter to build a keep at the
portage of the Nentir Falls. She raised a simple tower
at the site of Moonstone Keep three hundred ten years
ago, and under its protection the town of Fallcrest
began to grow.
Over the next two centuries, Fallcrest grew into a
small and prosperous city. It was a natural crossroads
for trade, and the Markelhays ruled it well. When
the empire of Nerath began to crumble about a century
ago, Fallcrest continued to flourish—for a time.
Ninety years ago, a fierce horde of orcs known as the
Bloodspears descended from the Stonemarch and
swept over the vale. Fallcrest’s army was defeated in a
rash attempt to halt the Bloodspears out on Gardbury
Downs. The Bloodspears burned and pillaged Fallcrest
and went on to wreak havoc all across the Nentir
Vale.
In the decades since the Bloodspear War, Fallcrest
has struggled to reestablish itself. The town is a
shadow of the former city; little trade passes up and
down the river these days. The countryside for scores
of miles around is dotted with abandoned homesteads
and manors from the days of Nerath. Once again the
Nentir Vale is a thinly settled borderland where few
folk live. This is a place in need of a few heroes.
I figure in the years after the orc raids, mercenaries would have been drawn to the area to fight the orcs. Many of them stayed and settled in the area after the orcs were driven off, and a healthy percentage of the current populace trace their lineage to them. This setting really needs half-orcs as a PC race. Many of the mercs became adventurers, exploring the dungeons and ruins in the area, and other adventurers would probably find their way to this area. Enough to justify some sort of Adventurer's Guild, if you like having those in your campaign.

I do, and will be including an AG that will serve as a respawn point in the event of a TPK, as well as providing goods and services to members. As PCs rise in guild rank, they get access to better stuff.

My experience with KotS is that it's friggin deadly. Seems more like a tourney module in places than an introductory module for a new game. That's not all bad - kind of surprising actually - as it can be a memorable challenge. All the same, I wanted an easier starting spot for a new party. So I made an EZ encounter chart for the Moon Hills, and PCs can spend their first level patrolling the outlying farms there if they choose to. I plan to have other activities available for starting characters as well, based on their contacts.
I plan on having the PCs spend the heroic tier in the Nentir Vale. I plan on running H1 and H2. Not sure on H3 yet. I'm working on ways to tie H1 and H2 together in subtle ways at first that will open up to a complete campaign against the forces of Orcus. Before I send them to the KotS I'm going to give them some hooks that will give them a chance to get some more experience. I want them to hit level 1 when they first arrive in Winterhaven.

Kalarel will be returning. I'm not quite sure when, but I like the idea of him as a recurring villain.
There's an adventure in the back of the 4e DMG that you can use as a pre-KotS adventure. That would get your PC's pretty close to 1st level when they reach Winterhaven.
Yeah, I was thinking of tying enemies of that to H1 by having them be a group that the baddies of H1 are trying to recruit but have failed to do so at this point. Toss in some hooks to H1 and should be good to go for getting them to Winterhaven. As far as the tie in to H2, I'll have the creatures from H1 capturing road travelers and selling them off the the Bloodreavers. Should be able to get enough interest through that to get the PCs into H2.
Just a heads-up that there are a few more slaver related encounters in the Keep on the Shadowfell sidetreks (bottom of that page) that were released yesterday
Just a heads-up that there are a few more slaver related encounters in the Keep on the Shadowfell sidetreks (bottom of that page) that were released yesterday

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, I can't believe I missed that!
I like the Nentir Vale as a setting, but I'm modifying it a bit for homebrew. The issue is that I'm playing via VT and I was wondering if anyone had any scanned-in images of the maps and whatnot. This would include the maps and such from KotS. Thanks in advance.
I'm setting up a wiki with the published material so far. I'm going to have to eventually start making stuff up, but for now I'm just on the initial material.

Does anyone know where there is more transcribed stuff? Having to type from the book is a pain in the rear.
For the previous two posters...what do you mean by the characters will hit 1st level by time X? They are 1st level as soon as you create the character sheet.
I've got the descriptions on my campaign site. A couple descriptions have been altered to reflect my campaign world, but for the most part you can cut and paste like crazy. I added Talon Pass (from the free rpg day module) and put it in the cairngorm mountains.

Scroll down past the background info here
I am running the Nentir Vale. I started them out in the city of fellcrest and had them do Kobold hall. The next time they play I'm taking them over to H1 and gonna have them run through that. For H2 actually we're switching DM's his character is going to have a reason to not come with us, and I'll be making a character which I can't wait because I think all the fun is in being the player.

The party right now consist of: Dragonborn Warlock (star), Halfling Paladin (Avandra), Half-Elf Warlord, Human Rogue, Human Cleric of Sehanine. I will be making an elf wizard when I run through shoring up all the weaknesses the party currently has.
I've got the descriptions on my campaign site. A couple descriptions have been altered to reflect my campaign world, but for the most part you can cut and paste like crazy. I added Talon Pass (from the free rpg day module) and put it in the cairngorm mountains.

Scroll down past the background info here

(emphasis mine) Speaking of the Free RPG day module - does anyone know if it is or will ever be made available for download anytime in the future?

I was, unfortunately not able to get out to Free RPG day (dangit :weep and thus missed out on the WotC offereing and Goodman Games' "Punjar: The Tarnished Jewel"
Sign In to post comments