Keep Questions

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gotta love Borders ignoring the street date... anyways,

I saw one obvious error that will be important to know. On p.57 it says using a potion is a minor action and on p.59 it says its a standard action. Which is it?

Another possible error is on p.70. (Vague for spoilers) In the box text it says its a Perception check DC 20 is needed to see the creature but the creatures special ability that starts with a "T" says its a Perception check DC 25. Which is it?

A couple of things I didn't like.

Did I miss it or are there no stats for torches and sun rods and how much they illuminate. Does that adventure assume you'll use the wizards light spell all the time?

What are the base AC bonus of chainmail, scale armor and a large shield. The adventure only gives you the magical bonus assuming that the PC who is already using chainmail will use the magic chainmail, same goes for the scale armor. Then there is only one character using a shield but its a heavy shield not a large shield. Is this a typo or different items.

Thanks,

Wraith428
Gotta love Borders ignoring the street date... anyways,

One of the (slight) problems with using the quick start rules is you don't get all the info. That being said, here's my interpretations:
I saw one obvious error that will be important to know. On p.57 it says using a potion is a minor action and on p.59 it says its a standard action. Which is it?

It is a minor action to drink a potion. I believe it was stated by one of the developers.
Another possible error is on p.70. (Vague for spoilers) In the box text it says its a Perception check DC 20 is needed to see the creature but the creatures special ability that starts with a "T" says its a Perception check DC 25. Which is it?

I would probably go with DC 20, gives a slight advantage to the players, though not much because even the rogue has to roll really high.
A couple of things I didn't like.

Did I miss it or are there no stats for torches and sun rods and how much they illuminate. Does that adventure assume you'll use the wizards light spell all the time?

The stats will be in the PHB. That's the price to play for using the quick start rules, there are things you can't do. That being said though, you'll be able to learn most, or at least a majority of the rules/mechanics of 4e.
What are the base AC bonus of chainmail, scale armor and a large shield. The adventure only gives you the magical bonus assuming that the PC who is already using chainmail will use the magic chainmail, same goes for the scale armor. Then there is only one character using a shield but its a heavy shield not a large shield. Is this a typo or different items.

Thanks,

Wraith428

Until the PHB comes out we won't really know for sure, though there is a chance some of the info will be included in a download next week.
AC of chainmail, as far as I can tell is 6, scale is 7. Large shield is I think 2 to ac, and possible a bonus to Reflex - of course this is comparing the characters in the module with each other and the D&DXP fighter Kathra.

What I would suggest, and I'm doing it, is let the players know that things may change when the PHB comes out. and some stats may be wrong with what we've done. My group is cool. What I'm going to do is let my players keep the xp and items/treasure they earn when playing the module, and when the PHB comes out they can rebuild their character (or make a new one) and transfer the stuff over. Effectively a Retcon, making the new PHB built characters be the characters that did the module.

Hopefully this helps you.

From the FAQ for KotS:
Drinking a potion is usually a minor action but administering a potion to an unconscious creature is a standard action.
Good to see Wizards is still on top of their own products. p.65 of Keep on the Shadowfell.

"Bull Rush: To attempt a bull rush, make a Strength vs. Fortitude attack. If the attack succeeds, push target 1 square and move into the vacated square."

There are Bull Rush rules in KotS. On the flip side this p.65 of the book and I believe they've called for a Bull Rush in the tactics sections of encounters at least once if not twice before this in the adventure.

Also the rules for charging on p.4-5 of the quick start rules and p.11 of the adventure book are word for word the same? Where are there different rules for charge between the two books?

It sorta makes me take the FAQ with a grain of salt.

Wraith428
Sign In to post comments