First Age Dawning

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I have been thinking about the whole Points of Light and everything, and I have been thinking about creating a new setting to playing and all that. My initial Idea was to Adapt the Warhammer Setting for D&D. It fits perfectly with the points of light concept and It has a rich detailed history that I love.

And then I read the quick write up on Epic Destinies and I thought

What about a world starting from scratch.

Zero History

There are no legends, no mythic heroes, metal working has barely begun, people live in tents and are wearing the skins of animals they have killed.

My Players will be the First heroes of this world, the first to civilize the land, build kingdoms, raise armies and ultimately the first Epic Destinies to be forged. Little by little campaign after campaign my group will build this world from nothing as we shuffle from DM to DM advancing from one age to the next.

I'm going to bring the idea up with the other DMs in my group next time we meet.

In the Meantime

How would you start a world from the very beginings?
This is an excellent idea...

I have nothing else to say. 10,000 BC for the win. I should see that flick...
This relates somewhat to my idea of doing a campaign based on the primordial war (see the topic by the same name).

Essentially, yes, there is no history. The whole ordeal with the Age of Chains, the Giants enslaving lesser races, and the lesser races fighting back, is the first real focal history point since the dawn of the new world. I am planning to run a game based around that.

Things to remember: Tieflings likely won't exist in an early-age setting (unless you get creative).
Things to remember: Tieflings likely won't exist in an early-age setting (unless you get creative).

:D Dawn of the 2nd Age; Rise of the Empire of Evil, Birth of the Tieflings.

Might be fun running a 2nd campaign where the Players are the ones who bring down the Empire that gives birth to the Tieflings for the 3rd age.
:D Dawn of the 2nd Age; Rise of the Empire of Evil, Birth of the Tieflings.

Might be fun running a 2nd campaign where the Players are the ones who bring down the Empire that gives birth to the Tieflings for the 3rd age.

It's in the works. ;)
Interesting, although you won't be able to have any ruins or artifacts.

Personally I'd be inclined to run a game at the end of the Bael Turath/Arkhosia war if I wanted to do a historical game. I don't know if I'd go before the end period of the Age of Chains.
Steps in setting up a campaign for me.

The following is a list of tasks that I have put together so far and am continuing to do.

DM Tasks
Player Survey create
Player Survey handout
Player Survey Analysis
Write Campaign Background
Write Campaign Hooks
Create Player Want Lists
Player Want Lists Handout
Create Groups in Oubliette
Flesh out Groups in Oubliette
Check player response to campaign idea
Assemble a beginner package
Develop a description of Oubliette
What is life like in Oubliette?
Develop image file of Oubliette

I am using Microsoft Office OneNote to gather up information and assemble it for the campaign. References to Oubliette is the working title of the campaign. I have pasted some of the background information that I have written into the thread on the City of Doors messages 75 and 76 on page 3.

I started with giving a survey to my players (I game with a regular group and thus knew I would likely be running a campaign with) asking a variety of questions to find out their wants and likes for gaming. This is how I decided on what form the campaign should take and to make sure to avoid stepping on any toes.

Developing an image file is just looking around at various pieces of screen art and pasting the pictures into a sheet that you can later show the players that this is what life is like.

Player want lists is my way of finding out after I have proposed the campaign if there are any custom things the players might want in connection to their characters. I like the philosophy of being willing to give players what they want but making them work to achieve it.

For example, on the campaign survey one of the players said that what they always wanted to do in a campaign was play a monster. I now need the player on the want list to give me details of what monster they would like to play; so, I can have time to think up any new rules or changes to rules that will allow the player to get what they want.
How would you start a world from the very beginings?

There are a couple of things to consider when working on your world background.

Is the hero's civilization the first in the world or the first human/demihuman civilization? Which is to say are there ruins and remnants of non-human civilizations to be found?

How well understood is religion, magic and technology? It is very possible to have a civilization well developed in one and not the others.

You will also have to think about how races fit in, as the background you are looking at violates the default in a couple of ways.

Religion and the planes will require a bit of thought also. Religion would be very different and places like the FeyWild and the ShadowFell rather different.

There are also a few things you should keep in mind for planning your campaign.

There won't be as many, if any, ancient ruins for the characters to explore. There will be more exploring of open land and uncharted forest. Make sure both you and the party are ready for this.

Humanoid opponents will mostly only make sense at low level, beyond that the players should be blazing new trails and well beyond any normal opponent. So you will probably want to play out some tribal fights and other such things from the start.

At paragon and epic levels, the only things facing the characters will be monsters. So plan ahead and place some high powered monsters for the characters to face later and give those monsters some reason to fight.

Magic items should be very rare, possibly the only ones in existence are ones the characters craft. That will have a number of subtle impacts on the campaign.

Jay