Scaling Keep on the Shadowfell

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Some people over at ENworld have asked about how to modify "Keep on the Shadowfell" for a larger or smaller group. These are my thoughts based on reading the module. Generally scaling down makes for a tougher encounter. But simply add or remove the recommended creature and add or subtract it's xp from the total. I'm trying to be as non-spoilery as possible so don't expect to see lots of crunch.

Characters

4 Players
Show
If you have to be down a character, I think the best character to lose would be the rogue. You could drop one of the 2 defenders (fighter or paladin) but I wouldn't recommend it.

6 Players
Show
If adding a character I recommend adding the Eladrin Ranger (gains 5 hp per level) or Half-elf Warlock (gain 6 hp per level) from D&DXP. You would have to fudge what powers they gain.

"On the Road"

4 players
Show
Remove 1 Dragonshield. This brings the xp to 350.

6 players
Show
Add 1 Slinger on the opposite side of the road. THis brings xp to 575

A1

4 players
Show
If the players took a long rest in town, remove 1 Skirmisher. If not, remove the wyrmpriest and add 2 minions. This will maker the other NPCs hit a little stronger but should be a much more manageable encounter.

6 players
Show
Add 1 Dragonshield

A2

4 players
Show
remove leftmost 2 minions and 1 skirmisher

6 players
Show
remove 3 minions add 1 skirmisher and 1 Slinger

A3

4 players
Show
Remove middle Skirmisher and his nearest minion. remove 1 Dragon shield. Drop I by 20 hp and adjust bloodied accordingly.

6 players
Show
Add 1 Dragonshield in first wave and 5 minions in second wave. This battle will be insane!

A4

4 players
Show
Remove 1 Guard Drake

6 players
Show
Add 2 Rabble (make 2 groups of 3) and 1 Slinger

XP add up

Show
By Default, the characters should get 3525 or 705 xp each (or 955xp each, if you had the Missing Mentor hook)

for 4 players it adds up to 2775 xp or ~695 xp a piece (~1005 if Missing Mentor)

for 6 players it adds up to 4275 xp or ~710 xp a piece (~920 if Missing Mentor)

So it seems the only real big change depends on what hook you give them. I definitely recommend Missing Mentor for the smaller group as it will make the follow up encounters a little easier.

So, let me know what you think, especially if you already have your hands on the module, overall you can see adjusting for a larger or smaller group on the fly. If you'd like me to continue through the module, let me know and I will. I'm running 2 demo sessions in the following weeks, so if I have off numbers, I'll let you know how it goes.
The first time running through this, I only had two players. It was all I could get together last minute. I think the formula is 100 xp per encounter level per character.
The first fight was fun with minions, the second was a lot tougher, had a TPK and let the players 'hit the reload button' the second time one player was dropped, but stabilized at the end and by the other who only had 2 hp left. Lots of bad die rolls on both are parts both hindered and helped the party. The second encounter was very tough, but it was doable. I should have put some minions in instead of just using what the encounter was supposed to have, but we all agreed that making it difficult was fine. I also gave them an extra action point the second time around which really didn't do all that much (failed rolls).