Points of Light_some questions

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know that points of light will be like a savage world with some "points of light" (strong citys, etc).

What i would like to know is:
1) will they give an explanation (on the core/basic books) for what happened to the world in order to be like that?

2) this leads to other questions: will they give any basic background? Like, the major gods and relations between them, the major citys (so, will they give more info than they gave in 3 ed?)?

3) Do you know any famous books (it must be really famous like Harry Potter lol, or LOTr, or Dragonlance, because in Portugal we only have famous books :-(...) that may serve as a reference to PoL? Book where the major story happens in a PoL world. Lotr is not a PoL isnt it?

4) The basic campaign will be Eberron or Forg.Realms?

thanks
1) will they give an explanation (on the core/basic books) for what happened to the world in order to be like that?

They likely will give some advice on starting up a campaign in the Points of Light fashion. Also, expect articles on it on these boards as well as DDI.

2) this leads to other questions: will they give any basic background? Like, the major gods and relations between them, the major citys (so, will they give more info than they gave in 3 ed?)?

See above.

3) Do you know any famous books (it must be really famous like Harry Potter lol, or LOTr, or Dragonlance, because in Portugal we only have famous books :-(...) that may serve as a reference to PoL? Book where the major story happens in a PoL world. Lotr is not a PoL isnt it?

Lord of the Rings is an excellent example of Points of Light. Absolutely.

4) The basic campaign will be Eberron or Forg.Realms?

The basic campaign will be Points of Light. Forgotten Realms will, IIRC, be the first setting they release.

thanks

Anytime.
1> PoL is the assumption of how the world works. Each DM will have reasons for why this might be the way of the world. For example, in the Forgotten Realms they basically said that over 100 years in the past, most of the world suffered a big calamity that tore down most of the previous kingdoms and structures. What is left is hanging on by the fingernails as the monsters have had a free run of the countryside to re-populate to the point that going too far into the 'wilderness' is asking for trouble.

A DM still is the source of their world's history and can choose whatever reason they like.

2> Clerics are fairly general now and only a few in specific campiagn worlds will in the near future get feats or paragon paths to personalize them. Gods and their relationship will be suggested in something like forgotten realms but this area is again mostly left up to the DM to choose.

This is why radient damage does not equall beams of light like lasers. Radient damage means divine events occuring to a target. If a priest declares worship of a god like Taltos and lightning then the radient damage can be taken as holy lightning bolts (or the DM may allow a player a free alteration of damage type depending on the DM). A priest that worships nature might say the radient damage is caused by things like roots bursting up through the ground or plagues of insects.

One key on the special effects are that they are not set with the power and can be more freely interpreted then in the past. This is why several aracane spells now have a variety of choices for the wizard to choose from when they cast a spell instead of specific effect.

3> Books that deal with fantasy on the fringes of civilization are good examples of PoL. The same goes for books of the 'Wild West' or 'Frontier Tales'. Post Apocalytic visions can also be a good reference like Mad Max series or most Gamma World tales. Also look up 'Cadilacs and Dinosaurs', 'Thundar the Barbarian', and 'Blackstar' for cartoon examples.

PoL deals with small patches of civilization holding a fortress mentality against the wilderness.

4> PoL is not a 'campaign' but a way of visualizing the world. PoL does not supply information that a DM can really use beyond saying that this background is a good starting point for adventure.

It does not really provide much in the way of background though the DM's guide does contain a starting town and references nearby spots that a DM could start an adventure.

The Forgotten Realms will be the first campaign and will be a three book model with one book dedicated to DMs and specifying the general important groups and threats. The second book will be dedicated to players and specify how characters might be different to fit within the forgotten realms and what the forgotten realms adds to the core books. The third book is designed around adventures within the forgotten realms. This book will likely give hints and suggestions on hooks and events to keep a campaign going from level 1 to level 30 (plus various monsters, traps, and other items).

The three book format will be repeated with the Ebberon campaign books that will start to come out the middle of 2009.

The campaign books are going to be more general then in the past so that a DM can borrow parts of the Forgotten Realms to include in their own campaign or possibly an Ebberon (or other) campaign.

If you like the way the underdark is done in the forgotten realms and do not have the same information in the Ebberon books then you can just lift and paste the forgotten realms underdark, gods, drow, or what you like and drop it into your Ebberon campaign.

The flavour is too remain but not be as strict as before allowing more usage of books and adventures outside of the strict setting that they used to be connected to.
I know that points of light will be like a savage world with some "points of light" (strong citys, etc).

What i would like to know is:

IMHO
The PoL stuff is NOT a world or campaign. It is a new way of describing the classic Tavern in a town (where player-characters meet) and a near by Dungeon (where player-characters have adventures). It is nicely described and so many who have read the description are carried away with there own ideas of what it would/should be like.

If you want a campaign with politics and stuff... Forgotten realms will be out in a couple of months, AND Eberron next year.

PoL is just another way of saying "Basic Fantasy Environment". IMHO
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
IMHO
The PoL stuff is NOT a world or campaign. It is a new way of describing the classic Tavern in a town (where player-characters meet) and a near by Dungeon (where player-characters have adventures). It is nicely described and so many who have read the description are carried away with there own ideas of what it would/should be like.

If you want a campaign with politics and stuff... Forgotten realms will be out in a couple of months, AND Eberron next year.

PoL is just another way of saying "Basic Fantasy Environment". IMHO

I think this is basically the point. The other thing I think they are trying to drive home is to start small and work out. The dungeoncraft articles are IMO the best way to think about PoL. And I think that 4E is sort of going the route of "Don't Overplan, Just Play." The Combat seems to be easier to deal with and the GM planning seems like it will be easier. Same probably goes for campaign crafting as well.
Oh! Very well said Jedi_Master_Trobon.
"Don't Overplan, Just Play."
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
Someone said that there is a basic town on the new handbook player.

Where can i find that town (or map)? I am curious about that :-)

And, other question: are there any other guys giving importante to the PoL concept? Are you thiking on radical POL or a normal one? I mean:
1) u can choose a PoL world where there still exist some civilization, towns, etc or
2) you could create something more like madmadness. A world with almost no citys, completly wild...

wich one will u be playing? i think that maybe a midle way between 1) and 2)...
Someone said that there is a basic town on the new handbook player.

Where can i find that town (or map)? I am curious about that :-)

Not released for viewing.
And, other question: are there any other guys giving importante to the PoL concept? Are you thiking on radical POL or a normal one? I mean:
*clip*
wich one will u be playing? i think that maybe a midle way between 1) and 2)...

PoL is not important to me.
The fantasy campaign I want to is about exploration.
If you want to read the ultimate "Points of Light" style novel, find a copy of The Face in the Frost by John Bellairs. It was one of Gygax's inspirations for D&D and an absolutely wonderful book. Some great magic in it too.
As others have said PoL is a concept rather then a fully fleshed out campaign world. Its made up by the collective ideal of what DnD campaigns are about; hills and tress and rivers and mountains, dungeons and castles and towers and forts, monsters, undead, corrupt barons and long forgotten demons.

I think it helps to have a very small area mapped out, so the players can at least feel like they know where they come from. But then the edges of that map can go on for ever in each direaction, and who knows what lies on the next sheet of graph paper.

Nerath was a kingdom that fell in the last 100 years after being attacked by hordes of orcs and trolls. If you have that as your last civilization (as its intended) that's why the world is so dangerous.

Do you know any famous books (it must be really famous like Harry Potter lol, or LOTr, or Dragonlance, because in Portugal we only have famous books :-(...) that may serve as a reference to PoL? Book where the major story happens in a PoL world. Lotr is not a PoL isnt it?

In some regards Wheel of Time is a PoL world. Its certainly on its way to becoming a PoL world. There were large civilizations that crossed the whole world, however after they fell the nations that followed them make claim to large areas, but much of it is uncivilized wildland with any inhabitants in those regions left to themselves. What is taken for granted in some regions (Wizards or Snow) is taken as complete myth in other regions. Its not strictly PoL, but its certainly on its way to becoming PoL.