My 4E starting town...

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I am making my 4E starting town. This is what I have come up with so far:

Its going to be named Varkinhawk and will be on a river. There will also be a couple of trade roads running through it. It will have an old dirt road leading from it as well.

The town will have several interesting locations nearby. I will detail those later.

The town will be made up of several sections being: Docks-where ships are constructed and put together, ships processed; Merchant-where shops/warehouses are located; Farming-farmland where the town grows its food will be here; Center-where the Mayor's house is and a couple of inns; Military-the town's keep will be here.

The town will have 537 total inhabitants divided as follows: 37% Human, 16% Dwarf, 14% Dragonborn, 13% Halfling, 10% Tiefling, 4% Elf, 3% Half-Elf, 3% Eladrin.

The town will have some notable locations:

Inns-The Inn of the Frying Dragon; The Lord Soth Bed and Breakfast; The Drunken Dwarf (owned by Elves); The Stumbling Elf (owned by Dwarves); The Sotted Sailor; The Steal'ems an' Sell'ems (owned by Halflings); The Iron Cudgel.
Shops-2 General stores, a Blacksmith's shop (a building with several blacksmiths working in it); a shop for all things nautical; a cartographer's shop; (Shops of a various nature-will look into DMG 2 for ideas here)
Mayor's House
Shipyards-Anchors Away; Azeroth Shipwrights; Rogaran Shipping
Keep-Fort Duran
Temples-5 total, one to Pelor (rest undecided)
Wizard's tower

Interesting Locations for adventuring:

Ruined tower on hill overlooking town
Cave that was once a dwarf city
Ruins of an elven town in forest
Ruins of a rundown castle that glows green at night certain days of the week
A ruined keep that flashes red on random days at sundown

I haven't given any names to NPCs since not all of them will be visited by the PCs.

I would like some advice on fleshing the town out more. Thanks in advance.

Well I don't see any help for you yet.

Some things you might want to think about.

Rather than Blacksmith shop you might just want a Forge w/ multiple smiths. You might want to also separate the shops to Weapon, Armor, and misc.

You might want to think about food. Where the commoners get their food like a bakery, butcher that kind of stuff.

You have a lot of Inns if it is a trading town you might want more of a trading area as well. A central stable or two near the roads would be a good idea.

Leather is a big resource you might want a Tannery away from the central town. A soap maker by the Tannery would be a good addition, as well as the butcher close by.

You have a couple general stores but you might also have at least one exotic supply store to buy your PC's loot. A book store would also be good for gathering information.

This should give you a couple ideas. The city I created for 4th has 50 buildings with 20 houses, 10 house-shops, 10 large shops, and 10 Common buildings. I have the complete list in my car if you want the list let me know.

As far as the names of npc's I plan on just having a big list of random names for the various no names and more specific names for the main npc's. As I use the names I plan to have the list of random names in a spread sheet with where they work or live (where the pc's met them) to cross reference.

I hope this helps.
I'm stealing the Inn of the Frying Dragon, that is gold!
I'm stealing the Inn of the Frying Dragon, that is gold!

:heehee
The chef of the Inn is a gold dragon...
Rather than Blacksmith shop you might just want a Forge w/ multiple smiths. You might want to also separate the shops to Weapon, Armor, and misc.

You might want to think about food. Where the commoners get their food like a bakery, butcher that kind of stuff.

I think a bakery would be good, maybe a butcher. But there is the river so it may be a fishmoner/preparar's place.
You have a lot of Inns if it is a trading town you might want more of a trading area as well. A central stable or two near the roads would be a good idea.

Well, the merchant has the marketplace. All the Inns except for the sailor one would have stables.
Leather is a big resource you might want a Tannery away from the central town. A soap maker by the Tannery would be a good addition, as well as the butcher close by.

Maybe, it would be in the merchant area.
You have a couple general stores but you might also have at least one exotic supply store to buy your PC's loot. A book store would also be good for gathering information.

Probably will have, got to add them in.
This should give you a couple ideas. The city I created for 4th has 50 buildings with 20 houses, 10 house-shops, 10 large shops, and 10 Common buildings. I have the complete list in my car if you want the list let me know.

I would like probably just like to know what kind of shops the shops are and what the common buildings where. I assume the houses are pretty much houses.
As far as the names of npc's I plan on just having a big list of random names for the various no names and more specific names for the main npc's. As I use the names I plan to have the list of random names in a spread sheet with where they work or live (where the pc's met them) to cross reference.

I will probably do something similiar.

I would be interested as well...
If you don't mind my opinion, I think you may have too many temples. With only 537 people living in the city I just can't see there being 5 temples. Now a temple or two with shrines to multiple gods I can definetly see. Perhaps a temple to Pelor that also holds ceremonies for Bahamut.

Either that or you may want to make most of those temples more of shrines inside of another building. For example perhaps there is a temple of Pelor, and the fort has a shrine to Bahamut that a priest uses to give sermon. And when the town is in trouble the townspeople and militia will make their way to the shelter of the fort and the shrine is used to send prayers of protection.

That's just my opinion on that though.
Alrighty went out to my car.

Large Buildings:

Mayors house
Temple
Fighters Guild
Inn
Wizards Tower (this is also an adventure area)
Forge
Tannery
Guard Barrecks
Warehouse
Watchmans Tower

Shops:

Armor Merchant
Weapon Merchant
Fletcher
Stables
Potion Maker (by the Wizards Tower)
Cloth Merchant/Dyer
Dry goods/supplies
Shoe Maker
Bookstore
Exotic supplies

Shops-houses:

Map Maker
Candle Maker
Tailor
Barber
Needle worker(Delicate work and yarn work like socks)
Baker
Engraver
Butcher
Soap Maker(this might be just a shop havn't decided yet)
Woodworker

My town is between two mountain cliffs. Town sprung up around the wizards tower which was discovered after the the fall of the main human empire. Dwarfs and Humans started the town with a mine going up by the town shortly after the formation it is about 2 miles away. There is a smelting building by the mine.

Farms are outside the main town and a forest is close by. A river is also within 5 miles of the town.
If you don't mind my opinion, I think you may have too many temples. With only 537 people living in the city I just can't see there being 5 temples. Now a temple or two with shrines to multiple gods I can definetly see. Perhaps a temple to Pelor that also holds ceremonies for Bahamut.

Either that or you may want to make most of those temples more of shrines inside of another building. For example perhaps there is a temple of Pelor, and the fort has a shrine to Bahamut that a priest uses to give sermon. And when the town is in trouble the townspeople and militia will make their way to the shelter of the fort and the shrine is used to send prayers of protection.

That's just my opinion on that though.

I agree to a point but if it is a central trading area more temples might fit. The actual towns people might not be worshiping at all of them but visitors might.
I agree to a point but if it is a central trading area more temples might fit. The actual towns people might not be worshiping at all of them but visitors might.

I would think that would mean that there would be a good amount of shrines, but full temples might be a bit much. It really depends on two things. What does the OP mean by "temple" and how big of a trading area is the town? I would think if those trade routes were very big then the town would be bigger. But I guess I'm getting too bogged down in details now. Again, IMO there should be one or maybe two temples that the town uses on a regular basis and then multiple small shrines that travelers can use.
Well the temples would be a building. It would have a shrine and an office/room for the suprivising priest. A couple of double cot rooms for lesser priests. It would only have one floor.

Yes, there would be a shrine to Bahamut in the garrison, but that wouldn't exactly count as a temple in my thinking.

The temples would be the main gods worshipped.

One atleast would be to a traveling deity. So that would leave 3 undecided but I have to look at the gods list in the Phb or DMg to determine what the others would be.

If you want temples including shrines, then there would be maybe 10 of them. Each race would want to have a shrine to their deity (elves, dwarves) and there would be ones worshipped so-so.

5 sounded good. I could choose 5 gods to be really important to the town and if I had less, the extra temples would be for other things. Maybe one temple should be a druid's place.

About the trade roads...They are quite important. I thought a little over 500 sounded good. My original idea had a little over 200 population. It didn't get posted up though and when I redid it I upped the population because it seemed to low.

The population is to count people actually living in the town semi-permanently not the travellers; which would increase the town's population by quite a bit.

I do agree with you as you can see from my list I only have 1 temple. I was just saying with some explanation it is possible to have several temple buildings. If for example there is one main temple and several small house sized temples to say elven or dwarf gods I could see it. There does seem to be a lot of separation in his town so they might be more segregated. It depends on the setting.

My setting has next to no segregation (everyone has to work together in the light to avoid the dark). That allows me to have more common buildings then specific buildings.
One question: Where did the Dragonborn, halflings and eladrin come from? Why do they live in this town (I assume the dwarves and elves came from their ruined towns). Why did this town get founded? When did it get founded?
One question: Where did the Dragonborn, halflings and eladrin come from? Why do they live in this town (I assume the dwarves and elves came from their ruined towns). Why did this town get founded? When did it get founded?

The halflings travel on the river so thats where they come from. The Dragonborn live there because they were part of the forces assigned to the city. I don't have any idea where the Eladrin came from. They just appeared.

I will try to have all this later. I am planning to do some design stuff with it then post that data.