H1 Keep on the Shadowfell Preview

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
My game store had a copy of Keep on the Shadowfell out on display, so I flipped through it. I'll write up more descriptions later, but here are the pregenerated characters that players can pick from:

Dwarf fighter
Human wizard
Half-elf cleric
Dragonborn paladin
Halfling rogue

All of these are different from the DDXP characters, though the wizard and cleric have many of the same powers as the DDXP characters.

Any questions? I'll try my best to answer them here.
Is there anything in there about Rituals?

Also, does it use the Delve Format, or something more sensible?
Haiku Police
Is there anything in there about Rituals?

I didn't see anything about rituals.

It's pretty much a delve. It looks like there are other things as well. But, I think it's mainly to showcase the new rules, so there's a lot of delving.

One thing I noticed was quest rewards. There are 'hooks' to give the group of characters a reason to be together and going through this adventure. When the party finishes the adventure and meets the goal of the quest, they get exp and sometimes gp.

It doesn't use the Expedition to... format ("Delve" format).

Amazon.com and Wizards seem to disagree on the specifics, so could you please inform us all: Hardcover or Softcover? How many pages? How many Battlemaps?

Also, does it give sugestions for what course the adventure could take should the heroes fail?...

You mentioned hooks for giving the heroes a reason to work together, can you be more specific? Is this adventure giving the group a background story too? I would sooner think they would prefer coming up with their own reason to be adventuring... Clarify please?
Amazon.com and Wizards seem to disagree on the specifics, so could you please inform us all: Hardcover or Softcover? How many pages? How many Battlemaps?

Also, does it give sugestions for what course the adventure could take should the heroes fail?...

You mentioned hooks for giving the heroes a reason to work together, can you be more specific? Is this adventure giving the group a background story too? I would sooner think they would prefer coming up with their own reason to be adventuring... Clarify please?

It's soft cover. It's really a large folder with a booklet with DM info on the adventure and some quick start rules. There is a smaller booklet with the 5 characters and another set of quick start rules. There are 3 battle maps which seem to be useful for a DnD Miniatures game too.

I don't remember seeing anything about what to do if they fail. I think if there is a TPK, then that's the end of that.

They do give some examples for hooks such as going to look for someone, mapping out the Keep, and one more that I can't remember. I think you could probably use those as guides to create your own hooks if you wanted to.
So...

Yeah, if you could just purchase that for me and send it along in the mail, that would be greeeaaat. Oh, and I'm gonna need you to come in and work on the weekend, too.
Dwarf fighter
Human wizard
Half-elf cleric
Dragonborn paladin
Halfling rogue

u remember some powers that we haven't seen in d&d exp characters already?
i'm also very curious about the fighter, is he sword and board fighter like the other one? is he a 2-handed fighter? if he is what kind of powers does he have?....
u remember some powers that we haven't seen in d&d exp characters already?
i'm also very curious about the fighter, is he sword and board fighter like the other one? is he a 2-handed fighter? if he is what kind of powers does he have?....

I remember some, but not all the details.

The rogue has a daily ability that lets him shift the target one square every time he hits it.

The fighter uses a two-handed maul and lacks a lot of the 'sticky' abilities that the DDXP fighter had. So, he didn't have tide of iron, but still had brute strike. Also, the 2nd level utility ability is a self heal.

The wizard and cleric had many of the same abilities as the DDXP characters. The level 2 utility ability was 'expeditious retreat' that lets the wizard shift up to twice his speed. A good thing when you need to get the Hell out of Dodge.

The paladin was also similar to the DDXP character. The paladin did have a utility ability that let him take the damage of an attack that hits one of his allies.

One more thing, I know that there's been a lot of conjecture that a half-elf can take an at-will ability from another class and use it as an encounter power. I didn't see any sign of that in the half-elf cleric.
Thanks for posting what you remember, I'm dying for more details.

SNIP
One thing I noticed was quest rewards. There are 'hooks' to give the group of characters a reason to be together and going through this adventure. When the party finishes the adventure and meets the goal of the quest, they get exp and sometimes gp.

This is awesome. I am thrilled that they've done this and I hope this is a trend that continues in all future adventures.

In case anyone missed it, the EN thread can be found here
One more thing, I know that there's been a lot of conjecture that a half-elf can take an at-will ability from another class and use it as an encounter power. I didn't see any sign of that in the half-elf cleric.

as far as i understand half-elfs now get a free multiclass feat at 1st lvl, this means that if u choose the wizard multiclass u get a "power" once per encounter, but this changes for other multiclass feats as we saw in the preview.

moreover, can u explain what u mean when u say that the fighter does not have the sticky abilities? u mean that he does not have the combat challenge abilities? if he doesn't what else does he have?
(i can guess that the fighter a all other classes has 2 option to choose from at 1st lvl, 1 might be a tank option like combat challenge, and the other a 2handed fighter option, something like dealing 1.5 str dmg with 2hander perhaps?)
as far as i understand half-elfs now get a free multiclass feat at 1st lvl, this means that if u choose the wizard multiclass u get a "power" once per encounter, but this changes for other multiclass feats as we saw in the preview.

moreover, can u explain what u mean when u say that the fighter does not have the sticky abilities? u mean that he does not have the combat challenge abilities? if he doesn't what else does he have?
(i can guess that the fighter a all other classes has 2 option to choose from at 1st lvl, 1 might be a tank option like combat challenge, and the other a 2handed fighter option, something like dealing 1.5 str dmg with 2hander perhaps?)

I checked again and I still didn't see anything that made the half-elf especially good at multiclassing. A friend of mine suggested that it may be a racial ability that this character did not take. But, I didn't see anything that would replace that ability. It may be that this was the idea at the time of DDXP, but the developers decided that that made half-elves too similar to humans and took it out.

Fighters do have combat challenges. This one did not have tide of iron, however. I listed some more of the new abilities for the fighter and the rogue here:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1029040
Do they offer several choices of feats/skills/powers when you level up or are they set for each character.
Do they offer several choices of feats/skills/powers when you level up or are they set for each character.

They are set for each character.
What is the official release date of H1?
What is the official release date of H1?

May 20th
it seems that fighters don't stop anymore enemies they hit with an attack of opportunity...
can u confirm this?
it seems that fighters don't stop anymore enemies they hit with an attack of opportunity...
can u confirm this?

It is actually more likely there are at least two build options for fighters.

Everyone gets +@ to OOa's and hit people on a slide. Then based on your weapon/design choice (much like the brutish and charisma based rogue choices) you get some other boon:

Single weapon & Shield: If you hit someone as they try to move, you stop their movement.

2-H weapon: You get free attacks whenever anyone adjecent attacks ANYONE but you.

Both are pretty nice and have a different effect. One stops people from getting by and the other stops people from attacking your close by allies.

See ya,
Ken
One thing I noticed was that there is little (almost no) benefit to using a Maul as written.

Warhammer : 1 handed : 1d10+Str (+1 Two handed)
Maul : 2 Handed : 2d6+Str

So wielding them two handed, a warhammer is 6.5 Avg, and a Maul is 7 Avg. BUT, the warhammer CAN be used 1 handed with a shield if needed, only lowering its damage to 5.5 compared to 7.

I personally gave my Maul user a +1 Dmg for "using it two handed".
One thing I noticed was that there is little (almost no) benefit to using a Maul as written.

Warhammer : 1 handed : 1d10+Str (+1 Two handed)
Maul : 2 Handed : 2d6+Str

So wielding them two handed, a warhammer is 6.5 Avg, and a Maul is 7 Avg. BUT, the warhammer CAN be used 1 handed with a shield if needed, only lowering its damage to 5.5 compared to 7.

I personally gave my Maul user a +1 Dmg for "using it two handed".

My guess is (and it's a total guess) is that there are two builds for fighters: powers for those that go with two-handed weapons and powers for those that use sword and board techniques. So, I assume that WotC designed the weapons to be comparable, but the differences are what the fighter can do with them.

But, we'll find out for certain on June 6.
True. And that may be the case. Though it does escalate the "I'm stuck using this one kind of weapon because I made the choice at 1st level" problem. But as you said, we won't really know until June 6th.

Until then though, considering the 2 handed KotSF fighter doesn't have any [2 handed required powers]** I'll probably keep the extra +1 dmg I gave him.

**Unless the change in combat challenge is, in fact, a representation of him using a two handed weapon instead of one handed. But, really...1 Damage isn't gonna break the fighter anyways, but it doesn make him feel better about himself. :P
I think characters can also retrain. I've gotten the impression that anytime a character gains a level in which they gain a feat or a power, they can use that opportunity to switch out feats and powers. If this is true, then every couple of levels or so, a character can completely redesign themselves. I hope this is the case so that a fighter doesn't get stuck doing the same thing over and over.

It's a lot like retraining in WoW except you don't have to pay out the ass in gold.:D
What genders are the characters?
What genders are the characters?

They leave those blank. You can choose your own gender and name. But, I think the pictures of the characters are all male. The dragonborn may be female minus the dragoboobs. I'm not certain on dragonborn mating habits.