Preview Adventures?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've noticed around the boards people make reference to "preview 4e adventures" that others have been playing and reviewing. Are these official or just extrapolations based on what has been released? I see Enworld referenced a lot as well.
If you go to http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20080319a there is a list of officially sanctioned Demo's. That is what they are usually referring to. I am running one and WotC sent me the module, pc's (same as are available online) along with some additional rules, but not much. The mod is intended as a demo of the combat rules with a smattering touch on the skills. If you are looking for a heavy RP experience this demo will not please you. It is what it is...
There are a number of unofficial, fan-based adventures being used to get a glimpse of 4e for the really impatient people that are willing to forgo accuracy. An yes, they are found on EnWorld's 4e forum. At this point though, with KotS and the official rulebooks so close (and yet so far away), you might be better served just waiting it out.
Thanks for the info. I was planning on waiting for the release of KotS anyhow, I was just confused on the commentary about the new system based on these previews. I didn't see how people were coming to conclusions about 4e without the actual books.
Thanks for the info. I was planning on waiting for the release of KotS anyhow, I was just confused on the commentary about the new system based on these previews. I didn't see how people were coming to conclusions about 4e without the actual books.

I would hope that people weren't coming to conclusions about the system before getting the whole picture, but there is enough information available either through the D&DXP materials or the preview excerpts that you can generate 1st level characters (with limited options) and go fight some basic battles or run one of the fan adventures. The numbers might be a little off, but not by more than 1 or 2 points in most cases. Essentially people are trying to recreate the D&D Experience convention at home.
However, now with KotS is in stores as a "Store Preview" copy it is allowing folks to get an even closer look at 4E. I for one have spent some time perusing it and will be purchasing it as soon as I can.