Player Survey

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was just looking for advice on who best to ask the questions to my players.

I appreciate the advice that Bill gave on going with more word answers.

Concern was addressed to me that this looked too much like a poll which is agains the CoC; so, I have removed the initial content.
Let's try and see if I can answer the questions. If I don't know, your players might not either. Then again I'm a DM so I'm not sure.
Show
Player Survey

Do you prefer playing;
High Fantasy – Magic allows almost anything possible (Dragons everywhere, cities with skyscraper temples)
Middle Fantasy – Magic is prevalent but it mostly resembles regular ages society (Some dragons are to be found, cities look much like the history books with a few magical editions like a tower of sorcery)
Low Fantasy – Magic is rare and has little impact on regular life (Dragons are almost mythic and almost no mages can be found with many being charlatans)

Do you prefer;
Scripted role playing – You are told where to go an what you need to do to complete an adventure
Unscripted role playing – You can choose where to go and what you do

How would you rate on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most enjoyment?
Scripted role playing 1 2 3 4 5
Unscripted role playing 1 2 3 ]4 5
feels kind of arbitrary - is it really necessary with "prefers"?
Do you like mysteries or secrets that need to be solved or discovered as part of your role playing?
Yes or No
Rating on a scale of 1 to 5 1 2 3 4 5

If there are mysteries or secrets do you prefer to
Solve the mysteries or secrets yourself (information gathering and deduction required)
Find the pieces of the puzzle but have help putting it together at the end(information gathering but no deduction required)
Told the secrets as the adventure completes (no deduction or information gathering required)
What - no "deduction but not information gathering required"?

Do you like horror as part of your role playing?
Yes or No

If there is horror do you prefer
Lovecraftian type of unknowable horror that drives people insane
Psychological horror of being trapped in a situation with people that do horrid things
Beast horror with monsters those are big and bad like werewolves and vampires

What is your level of gory details?
I hit the monster and it dies in a puff of smoke and dust like vampires on Buffy
I hit the monster and leave a few bleeding cuts and dead bodies (parental guidance warning)
I hit the monster and there is some description of blood flying and dismemberment of the body (CSI warning of graphic content)
I hit the monster and there are severe trauma descriptions (heavy zombie movie or kill bill 1)
I hit the monster and there are buckets of blood everywhere (Hellraizer and Hostel movies are your thing)

Do you like humour as part of your role playing?
Yes or No

When it comes to humour in role playing;
I am a full participant and like playing Monty Python and the Holy Grail
I enjoy an occasional odd adventure or side line event
I enjoy an occasional character like a tinker gnome but the rest is serious
Save the jokes for outside the game
Why 3 different scales? The 3rd one is best

How much combat do you prefer in your adventures?
If I can not hack it then what is it doing in the adventure.
I need a hook and a resolution and the rest is up to my sword.
Three to four combats and one to two other encounters are good.
Two to three combats and the rest are other type of encounters.
One to two combats are what I like in an adventure with the rest other types of encounters.
Combat encounters only when other types of encounters have failed to resolve the situation.

How much role playing do you prefer in your adventure?
Swords should be the last resort if all other avenues have been tried
I enjoy an occasional odd adventure or side line event (Masque or Ball)
I enjoy meeting the occasional character like a King or talking Dragon but the rest is action
Save the talk till after I have defeated the villain

What length of adventures do you like?
Find the villain and resolve things in four to five encounters (1 game session)
Find the villain and resolve things in five to ten encounters (2 game sessions)
Find the villain and resolve things after a story arc (3 to 5 game sessions)
Find the villain and resolve things after a season (3 to 4 story arcs and 12 to 15 game sessions)
no preference here - might be a problem

On average how often do you like to find significant treasure (magical items or equivalent in money)?
Once per game session
Once per two game sessions
Once per three to five game sessions
I adventure for other reasons then treasure

On average how often do you think that you should gain a new level of experience?
Once per game session
Once per two game sessions
I adventure for other reasons then advancing in levels of experience

How do you feel on Mage-tech (Magic replacing science for things like magical powered torches replacing light bulbs and magic powered ships replacing air planes)?
Yes or No

How do you feel on Animal-tech (Animals and monsters replacing science for things like fireflies replacing light bulbs and griffons replacing air planes)?
Yes or No
Maybe not a 1-5 scale but rather a "how much" scale a la humor & roleplaying?

How do you feel on published game settings?
I only like to play in published game settings
I prefer to play in published game settings but will accept some DM changes
I like playing in published game settings but like what the DM does with it
I like whatever the DM provides whether it is published or not

Please list up to three published game settings that you like (does not have to be a DnD setting)?
___
___
___
Never played in one

How do you feel on campaign background?
Please write me a novel so I know my place in the world
Please give me the high points and important landmarks
Please let me know where I start and what is within ten miles of where I start
Save the fluff for the movie and let us get adventuring

How do you feel on the DM providing a group background (all members of the same organization, all related by clan, all students at the same academy, etc)
Please give us all a mandatory background so I don’t have to create an excuse to know the other players
Please give us a flexible background so I have an excuse to know the other players but don’t have to like them
Please give us just a common goal (we all want loot) and I will provide the background
Please only say I need to come up with a reason to know two other players and I will work out the rest of the background
Please stay out of my background and let me create my own background and let me discover the other characters as part of the adventure

How grand a scale do you like your adventures?
I like saving the world from destruction often
I like saving the world every few adventures
I like saving the world only once as a major end to a campaign (time to retire)
I do not care if I ever save the world

With adventures do you prefer to encounter?
Dungeon crawls with several levels and over a dozen locations to explore (endless dungeons)
Lairs with one to two levels and only a dozen locations to explore (castles and fortresses)
Encounters with a possible temple or lair once and a while.
Get rid of the dungeon and just have encounters

How do you feel on death of your character?
Never
If I really make a mistake and deserve to die then it is okay
Death is part of role playing but please have a way to bring my character back to life
Death is part of role playing and I do not need to have my character brought back to life
Death should be a common risk and a character should die every couple of sessions

I have always wanted in a fantasy role playing game to ...
Explain

I have always wanted in a fantasy role playing game to have ...
Explain

My most favourite moment of role playing was when I ...
Explain

My least favourite moment of role playing was when ...
Explain

Thoughts:
Don't use 1-5 scales, scales with actual words rather then numbers is better. Most people want everything at least occasionally.
Include the missing options.
I tried my best with this, I hope it helps.

Do you prefer playing;
Middle Fantasy with some hints of High, such as legendary magical cities and foreign people are commonly the nonhuman race the commoner assumes they would be.

Do you prefer;
A balance between the two. I need a framework, but I sure do love to sandbox once in a while.

How would you rate on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most enjoyment?
Scripted role playing 3
Unscripted role playing 4

Do you like mysteries or secrets that need to be solved or discovered as part of your role playing?
Yes
Rating on a scale of 1 to 5 4

If there are mysteries or secrets do you prefer to
Varies, but usually either Solve it myself or Cather pieces. I hate haet hat being told the answer to a mystery.

Do you like horror as part of your role playing?
No
Rating on a scale of 1 to 5 1
note: not because I hate horror, but because I've never had a DM do it right.

If there is horror do you prefer
I <3 Lovecraftian horror

What is your level of gory details?
I hit the monster and there is some description of blood flying and dismemberment of the body (CSI warning of graphic content)

Do you like humour as part of your role playing?
Yes

When it comes to humour in role playing;
I enjoy an occasional odd adventure or side line event

How much combat do you prefer in your adventures?
Three to four combats and one to two other encounters are good.

How much role playing do you prefer in your adventure?
I enjoy an occasional odd adventure or side line event (Masque or Ball)

What length of adventures do you like?
A little of column A, a little of column b;
Find the villain and resolve things in five to ten encounters (2 game sessions)
Find the villain and resolve things after a story arc (3 to 5 game sessions)

On average how often do you like to find significant treasure (magical items or equivalent in money)?
Once per two game sessions sounds about right.

On average how often do you think that you should gain a new level of experience?

How do you feel on Mage-tech (Magic replacing science for things like magical powered torches replacing light bulbs and magic powered ships replacing air planes)?
Yes

How do you feel on Animal-tech (Animals and monsters replacing science for things like fireflies replacing light bulbs and griffons replacing air planes)?
Yes

How do you feel on published game settings?
I like whatever the DM provides whether it is published or not

Please list up to three published game settings that you like (does not have to be a DnD setting)?
Mystara
Ravenloft
Shadowrun

How do you feel on campaign background?
Please let me know where I start and what is within ten miles of where I start

How do you feel on the DM providing a group background (all members of the same organization, all related by clan, all students at the same academy, etc)
Please give us just a common goal (we all want loot) and I will provide the background

How grand a scale do you like your adventures?
I do not care if I ever save the world But I'll do it, if its relevant to the plot and is fun for me as a player to do so.

With adventures do you prefer to encounter?
I like dungeons in all their types.

How do you feel on death of your character?
Death is part of role playing and I do not need to have my character brought back to life

I have always wanted in a fantasy role playing game to ...
Be a fun and entertaining excuse to hang out with friends and pretend to be heroes in a fantasy world similar to the novels I read and movies I watch.

I have always wanted in a fantasy role playing game to have ...
Comradere and entertainment. The specific parts of the game are irrelevant as long as everyone at the table is having fun.

My most favourite moment of role playing was when I ...
As a part of a 4 person party systematically worked through each of our character's personal goals, mine being the destruction of my character's father; then retiring the characters after the worlds-shattering events.

My least favourite moment of role playing was when ...
Spotlight hogs railroad the game into what they want without at least first discussing it with the other players. I'm all for character-specialized plots, but give the other players warning first.
Sign In to post comments