The evil campaign

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Since the first edition I have had the pleasure of playing the bad guy, and I do not mean the antihero but the villain. As the game has changed over the years I have ever been the antagonist, and the way that I have played in that time has evolved. In the begining I was a simple kill everyone take all for myself type. Now my motivations have changed somewhat, O fear not I still play all of the despicable stereotypes but with much more thought put into them. I eagerly await the coming of 4th edition so that I may begin planing my new dark deeds and twisted ambitions. I am aware that this style of play is not for everyone but it has been a great source of fun for me and many others. So bring fourth your encouragements or your criticisms I will hear them all.:evillaugh
Since the first edition I have had the pleasure of playing the bad guy, and I do not mean the antihero but the villain. As the game has changed over the years I have ever been the antagonist, and the way that I have played in that time has evolved. In the begining I was a simple kill everyone take all for myself type. Now my motivations have changed somewhat, O fear not I still play all of the despicable stereotypes but with much more thought put into them. I eagerly await the coming of 4th edition so that I may begin planing my new dark deeds and twisted ambitions. I am aware that this style of play is not for everyone but it has been a great source of fun for me and many others. So bring fourth your encouragements or your criticisms I will hear them all.:evillaugh

I'm not sure what you're looking to hear. This is a perfectly viable campaign type for those who want to play it. Currently, I'm in a campaign where we as players have moved into a town and are in the process of taking over and replacing the thieve's guild. We're not playing nice guys.
I'm not sure what you're looking to hear. This is a perfectly viable campaign type for those who want to play it.

Ditto.

By the way, in a city-based game, an evil Bard is god-like. That's is all.
Ahh, evil campaigns they are fun, especially urban ones.

I have had way to much fun with my Rogue/Swashbuckler, Tiefling who is NE and has lots of style. Sooo much, deliciously evil fun :P
One of my few 3e regrets is that I'll never be able to play a Dragonfire Adept in a city-based game. Some of their kind of better Invocations as well as many of their "Meh" ones are utterly and completely *broken* in a non-combat setting.

Oh, the things I could've done with unlimited alter self and charm person... I had this false prophet evil PC written up once.
Excellent it does my black heart good to know that the evil campaign lives on. As to what I wish to hear, some of your more infamous exploits will do. I also welcome any conjecture against evil pcs and their dark adventures.
Well, my Tiefling Rogue/Swashbuckler had lots of nasty tactics in combat to start things off:

• Dirty fighting; eye-gouging, backstabbing, throwing dust, spitting in the eye, breaking knee caps, using lots of hidden weapons.
  • Once suffocated a paladin by crushing his armour.
  • Various assassinations here and there.
  • Burnt down a church.
  • When she finally went berserk/insane she paraded around with the skull of a random ex-soldier, talking to it and making it talk. (Her own intelligent skull she had in her possession wasn't amused).
  • Letting herself burst into flames (old Tiefling ability) and ended up burning down a whole block.
  • Taking control of the Merchant's Guild, by having her men and herself hide in crates then killed off everyone in the Guild hall.
I have a CE Halfling Rogue in a current campaign, and after slaying a pit-fiend the DM determined it burned into a massive pile of highly poisonous ash. Well my character was covered in the stuff, as she had been on his back when he died. (Thankfully, I had been rendered immune to poison at that time.) I decided to rinse off in the river running through a forest and feeding the tree of a dryad that had thwarted my earlier attempts at casting unhallow at various places around the forest, just for fun mind you. Needless to say, she paid the price for ruining my fun.
Please tell me you collected some of that ash in plugged jars. I be very tempted to use those for assassinations or as a impromptu weapon by chucking it into a crowd of enemies. Where it would shatter and the ash would plum up in a cloud and coat the enemies.
We all have our favorites, mine would have to be my cleric/blackguard of Nerull aka. the Shroudrender. This was a truly terrifing villian, I wished to become a deathkinght with this psychopath but alas the Reaper had other plans for me . I was eventually killed buy a band of good adventures, a fitting end to one of my most evil characters.
Most of my evil characters tend to be wolves in sheep's clothing. My favorite was a mage who hung around with a bunch of goody-goodies who insisted on taking prisoners whenever possible instead of killing their opponents... which is significant, because the primary antagonists in this campaign were an order of powerful evil wizards.

Bad guy would get captured, I'd copy anything interesting from his spellbook, then spring him in exchange for "certain considerations" -- all without the other PCs ever figuring out how these guys were escaping. Rinse and repeat and I ended up with plenty of "bad guy" cred, an exhaustive spellbook... oh, and eventual absolute control of the DM's evil organization.
I guess the closest I've gotten (more chaotic than evil), my DM wanted a wild west-style duel. We (the NPC and I) stood at either end of the street. When the signal was given, we were to load our crossbows and fire. I just shot the NPC for no good reason. When the villagers ran into the street in shock, one of them said, "You shot him!"

I said, "Yeah."

The Villager said, "But there was no signal!"

I said, "Oh, yeah. I guess you're right. I still win."
For those looking to GM an "evil" campaign I highly recommend "Darkwalkers: The Evil Within" by Dragon Wing. Its chalk full of tips for players and GM's alike on not just creating an evil character, but how to get these bad-boys to work together in a campaign format.

You can buy it as a pdf from http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=13694&it=1

Good luck.
For those looking to GM an "evil" campaign I highly recommend "Darkwalkers: The Evil Within" by Dragon Wing. Its chalk full of tips for players and GM's alike on not just creating an evil character, but how to get these bad-boys to work together in a campaign format.

You can buy it as a pdf from http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=13694&it=1

Good luck.

Although I do not need help to run or play in a sucessful evil campaign, I am intrigued by Darkwalkers. The artwork is very cool and new ideas never hurt, thanks for the input.
Sign In to post comments