D&D Planes Clarification

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mainly, I am trying to figure out if Planes are multiple copies of the world, in different dimensions, or if they are just a totally different dimension altogether. Here is the example I have come up with:

We'll look at three Planes of existence: Gameworld, Feywild and Shadowfell. Now, let's look at just a section of each of those, the same section of each plane: Silent Vale.

Now, when these planes were created, they began with the same physical characterisitics. However, it is the denizens of the plane that are much different, along with the environment. The gameworld has a mix of things and can be light or dark, depending. However, the Feywild copy is vibrant and celebrating, with fey creatures. On the opposite side, the Shadowfell is dark and dreary, with its own dark residents.

Now, it is the environment of the plane and it's residents that dictate how each plane has evolved. Silent Vale was a vacant valley but now colonized in the gameworld. However, in the Feywild, perhaps Silent Vale is a dark place where an ancient evil made its nest and waits to awake. In the Shadowfell, on the other hand, Silent Vale is the location of a past battlefield, now haunted with the souls of soldiers.

Each Plane has the same location, and the terrain is quite similar, although not exact. However, even with the same location, its meaning is different because of the individual history from each Plane.

If the above example is my interpretation of Planes, is it accurate in the history of D&D Planes? Do I have a basic understanding of what some Planes are? Copies of the physical world with unique characteristics tied to the Plane's environment?
Mainly, I am trying to figure out if Planes are multiple copies of the world, in different dimensions, or if they are just a totally different dimension altogether.

Some of them (such as Elemental Chaos and Astral Sea) are completely different, others (such as Gameworld, Feywild and Shadowfell) are similar, although there are some distortions (what is 5 miles apart in Gameworld could be 3 miles apart in Feywild or 8 miles apart in Feywild).

Now, when these planes were created, they began with the same physical characterisitics. However, it is the denizens of the plane that are much different, along with the environment. The gameworld has a mix of things and can be light or dark, depending. However, the Feywild copy is vibrant and celebrating, with fey creatures. On the opposite side, the Shadowfell is dark and dreary, with its own dark residents.

Now, it is the environment of the plane and it's residents that dictate how each plane has evolved. Silent Vale was a vacant valley but now colonized in the gameworld. However, in the Feywild, perhaps Silent Vale is a dark place where an ancient evil made its nest and waits to awake. In the Shadowfell, on the other hand, Silent Vale is the location of a past battlefield, now haunted with the souls of soldiers.

Sort of. Here's my understanding of it:
* Gameworld - This is the base world, can have anything.
* Feywild - This is a copy of a natural aspect of Gameworld. Major geographical features will be the same, but cities and the like won't be and any similarities in the manmade aspects are purely coincidences.
* Shadowfell - This is a copy of the man-made aspects of Gameworld. Cities, towns and roads will all be in the same spots, but they'll be twisted versions (so where something might be a thriving town in Gameworld it could be a ghost town in Shadowfell).

So for Silent Vale:
* Gameworld - Been colonized.
* Feywild - Natural part is mostly similar with Gameworld. Inhabitants can be whatever you want with any buildings (or no buildings) if you like.
* Shadowfell - Has same towns and cities in the same places as Gameworld, but they're either abandoned or inhabited by denizens of the Shadowfell (such as Shadar-Kai or Dark Ones). These towns and cities were also (if my understanding is correct) built by Shadowfell creatures.
Sign In to post comments