4e adventures w/ minis?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all-

I'm a complete D&D n00b in every sense of the word. I apologize if this is the wrong place to post my question.

I've been very interested in reading about 4e and have even preordered Keep on the Shadowfell. My question regards using minis w/ 4e adventures like KotS.

The product description on the Wizards page reads "suitable for use with D&D Miniatures" but unless I'm mistaken, they are only available in "booster" packs of 8 (12?) random minis. Is there any way to buy only the minis I need to run a specific adventure like KotS?

And if not, is there a suitable alternative? For example, does WotC or anyone else produce maybe "moster tiles" or "monster pogs" (wooden circles w/ stickers) or anything else where I can buy, say, a bunch of Kobolds?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.
IT would be nice if they sold mini packs that were not random. Or if they put adventures in a box with minis and dungeon tiles you need to run that adventure. Sort of like the Basic Game box for the 3.5 rules that came with the figs needed for the mini adventure that was included.
I do not think they will do this as there is much more money to be made off the random packs, from people that really want specific minis for what ever reason. Those of us that want a good deal thats reasonable and fairly priced just wont use minis in our games.
There's a very serviceable "after-market" for individual minis if that's what you're looking for.

Just do a google search for "D&D minis singles" and you'll find sites like strikezone, troll and toad, and even ebay all offering individual bits and pieces.

Check with your FLGSs as well, it's not uncommon for stores to sell singles.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

And if not, is there a suitable alternative? For example, does WotC or anyone else produce maybe "moster tiles" or "monster pogs" (wooden circles w/ stickers) or anything else where I can buy, say, a bunch of Kobolds?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

For 3.5 era games, we've been using monster counters by a company called Fiery Dragon. I bought one of their image libraries on CD that had tons of monster counters. I print whatever I need on label paper, stick the label paper to cardboard (chipboard) and cut out the counters - voila - instant durable counters. It's cool when you need to more orcs just to print out more counters.

For 4E, we're drinking the kool-aid and have started collecting the 4E Dungeons of Dread, but using counters for years has worked fine.
For 4E, we're drinking the kool-aid and have started collecting the 4E Dungeons of Dread, but using counters for years has worked fine.

That's cool -- I'm okay with buying the official minis. However, I looked at all the previews for Dungeons of Dread and there seems to be a lot of whacky monster types.

I really just need a bunch of low level creatures.
Sign In to post comments