Adventure in May?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a question to send out there to you all. Why are they releasing a 4E adventure in May? The core books do not come out until June. I'm trying to figure out how they could be used without access to the basic materials. Any thoughts?
Keep on the Shadowfell will contain quick start rules and pre-generated characters.

It will be playable before June 6th, but with fewer options and less depth to the rules.

It would be suitable for a "Demo" game for potential players that want a taste before purchasing a PHB.
I want to pose a follow-up question about Keep on the Shadowfell (H1). The product information out there makes it clear that not only will it contain the quick-start rules, but that it is intended to advance characters from levels 1-3. Has there been any confirmation on how they will handle this advancement in the absence of the PHB when H1 is released? Will pre-gen characters have pre-gen advancement with no options or will the quick-start rules include some choices (of a limited selection of powers for instance) in the process of advancement. I realize there may be no information out there yet about this, but if that is the case I would also be interested to hear how Wizards has handled this other times they released pre-gen characters as part of their basic or starter sets in 3.5.
It's been back and forth as to whether or not the pre-gens will have level advancement options or not, however Mearls recently told us that they're suggesting that players either

a) start the adventure over with new character once the PHB comes out
or
b) make new characters, transposing the XP you earned with the pre-gen

The quick play and pregen character rules are mostly intended for retailers who will be using it as demo material, but they'll also be getting copies in April and May, wheras customers purchasing H1 through retail will only be getting H1 two and a half weeks in advance of the PHB. Under the assumption that most groups play on the weekend, that's only two play sessions between H1 and the PHB, so at the moment it's throwing darts as to whether or not the "average group" will have even run into a need for leveling up mechanics before they have the books in their hands.

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
who, squatting upon the ground,
held his heart in his hands, and ate of it.
I said, "is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter – bitter," he answered;
"but I like it,
"beacuase it is bitter,
"and because it is my heart."

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the PHB was originally planed to release in May, but it got delayed back to the same time as the DMG and MM. So, I think when they originally planned to release H1, they thought the PHB would already be available. Since that is no longer the case, they are going to add the quick-start rules and pre-gen characters.

As for level advancement, we'll just have to wait and see, but if they do it, I imagine it will be a pre-generated advancement. As in each character will have stats at level 1, 2, and 3.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, the PHB was originally planed to release in May, but it got delayed back to the same time as the DMG and MM. So, I think when they originally planned to release H1, they thought the PHB would already be available. Since that is no longer the case, they are going to add the quick-start rules and pre-gen characters.

As for level advancement, we'll just have to wait and see, but if they do it, I imagine it will be a pre-generated advancement. As in each character will have stats at level 1, 2, and 3.

Actually, H1 was originally scheduled for an April release.

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
who, squatting upon the ground,
held his heart in his hands, and ate of it.
I said, "is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter – bitter," he answered;
"but I like it,
"beacuase it is bitter,
"and because it is my heart."