H1 through H3

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
All of these modules seem to come with poster maps. I'm curious as to if they are all going to be using the same area so to speak? Will Winterhaven be listed on a map in H1 with the Thunderspire mountains and Shadowsong forrest nearby on the same map? Is there any continuity map-wise between the three adventures?

I'm curious as I'm gearing up to make a world for my 4e campaign and was planning on dropping these adventures into it because it saves me so much time that I don't have to spend on making all my own adventures. Sure it's feasible to just put them where ever in my world - but would it conflict with the hand-outs and maps it comes with? That would be a shame. It would be easier to build my world around the adventures - provided the adventure maps had some continuity to begin with.
It's really hard to tell at this point, though I wouldn't put it past WotC to do what I have seen done in prior adventure sets.

We may find the mini-maps in the actual book giving the "this way to thunderspire" sort of thing at the edge of the map for one adventure, or describing the surrounding area to let you know which direction the next adventure is "supposed" to be in.

I always found it easier to just pick a direction and go with that no matter what the adventures actually say, i.e. tell the players in play that there are mountains to the north that may hold further adventure, and then when the mountainy adventure happens just drop it in "to the north"

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

The description of Thunderspire also mentions general world information and I wouldn't be suprised if we get a web expansion for H1 that features a map or some more world info. My hope is that the poster maps are mainly focused on reproducing the dungeon at miniature scale.
From reading the product description, my guess is that the poster maps will be scaled to 1 inch = 5 feet, and detail some of the most interesting or climactic encounters in the module.
These poster maps would look like the ones produced for D&D minis in the "Fantastic locations" packs.
They would be designed to use as a battlemat, rather than a dungeon or world overview map.
From reading the product description, my guess is that the poster maps will be scaled to 1 inch = 5 feet, and detail some of the most interesting or climactic encounters in the module.
These poster maps would look like the ones produced for D&D minis in the "Fantastic locations" packs.
They would be designed to use as a battlemat, rather than a dungeon or world overview map.

I also hope the poster maps detail some of the more interesting areas/rooms of the module. But I hope the art is not like the "Fantastic Locations" line. For some reason, those maps were really boring. Maybe its because they were to be used more for the DDM game than for roleplaying. Or maybe it's because they weren't typical "dungeon rooms". But I got no sense of realism from them.

It would be nice if these poster maps had actual depictions of whats in each room. There's a weapon rack in this corner of the room, a table over here, a small cage in that corner... and so on. The ones in "Fantastic Locations" seemed to just show you where you could and couldn't walk. Not a lot of scenery. Hopefully they change that for these maps...
Sign In to post comments