Starting a new group before 4th ed launch?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've played DnD a long time, and groups have either fallen apart, the DM wants to take a break, tpk, someone moves, etc. The groups have lasted a long time, but something things happen.

Currently I'm itching to play again (or DM again), and so is my 12 year old daughter.

Should I:

a: gather a group, run 3.5, and convert to 4th ed after the books come out?
b: the same as "a" however try and do some conversion with what has been leaked on the boards
c: just wait until 4th ed comes out?

Thanks for your help.
I say get a group together any time it's possible, and Include your daughter if she wants. Then play whatever you can.

I'm currently trying to actually finish a 3.5 campaign so that I'll leave the edition on good terms before the change to 4th. I encourage playing anything you have available.

If you get a group together before 4th is out, play what you have however it will work best for the group. I found that with my group suggesting some house rules to aim 3.5 more towards the feel that 4th was aiming for (such as the suggested dying house rules from the article on death and dying in 4th) was accepted as a good idea, and were implemented with no real problems.

Always get the opinion of the group you play with before adjusting any rules though, the game is about fun so it only makes sense to find out what is fun to everyone involve.

Good luck getting a group together, I know it can be difficult at times.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

I suggest one of the following:

1. Play a short mini-campaign designed to last only a few levels. I suggest building characters around level 5, since that's when the game really starts to get interesting (IMO). That should fill the gap between now and the release.

2. Play Star Wars Saga Edition. I know its not the same, but it is a solid game and it will prepare your group for some of the rules changes that are shared between SWSE and 4E.

3. Play a brand-new campaign starting at level one, and design your characters with the express intention that they will be converted once the new edition is released. In other words, look at the 8 core classes in 4e and decide which one you would want to play, and play its 3e predecessor. Want to play a warlord? Play a marshal for now, he'll be a warlord in June.
If you already have 3.5 books then run that.
Otherwise... I don't know. We do a lot of arguing on this 'board. ;)
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
this one is off topic a bit, but there's a game con in my area next weekend where they will be running 4ed. adventures like they did at the DDXP event.

I usually don't do game conventions, but I'm dying to give the new rules a try. How does one go about getting involved in a convention game I wonder?
Should I:

a: gather a group, run 3.5, and convert to 4th ed after the books come out?
b: the same as "a" however try and do some conversion with what has been leaked on the boards
c: just wait until 4th ed comes out?

If you had an existing group of experienced 3e players, I would say pick an adventure you like and run it until 4e is available. Or do something with the 4e sample information we have, that is what it looks like I'll be doing till May.

But with the first 4e adventure coming out 5/2 it seems pointless to try starting a new group now. You would barely get the first adventure finished and then you would get stuck up converting.

Jay
I'm in the same boat. I just started playing again but the group I joined with is anti-4e (they are also anti 3 and 3.5 which we play!) where I would like to play 4e as soon as possible. I'm hoping I can just find a group that is switching and join them- either way I'd like to find a core group to play regularly with.

Look on the bright side, at least you have a dedicated player in your daughter. How about starting a teens game with other similarly aged children? You could have a game night to establish timing and play other games (Talisman for example) that would establish the fantasy setting but not 3.5 rules and habits that you then had to un-establish. Once 4e is out you can start with the H1 campaign, let them run the pre-existing characters as a cross over and then when you get your core books go solid into 4e where they make their own characters.

I need to get more involved in the local game scene, but one thing I'm trying to do is join an online game with someone who is already working on their 4e setting.