Resurrecting Ravenloft

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was not a fan of the OGL remake of Ravenloft.

That said, I have always been in love with the old TSR Ravenloft Boxed set and assorted accoutrements.

Thoughts from you forum dwellers?
Modifing the 2ED fear rules might work alright.

The Gothic horror genre is fun.
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
Played a few Ravenloft one-shots in 3E, and it worked alright. The most important thing to get with the setting is the atmosphere, not the rules. The published Ravenloft books give you maps and history and all, but it's really up to the DM to make it a good experience.

I'd really like to see some 4E Ravenloft material (that goes beyond what Heroes of Horror did...which really was Wizard's non-copyrighted Ravenloft setting) that helps establish it as a real setting with good, consistent supplements. We'll see what happens though.
I don't think Ravenloft will fit very well with the "heroic level" of 4E without a lot of modification. If it could be done, I'd check it out, but I must say I was terribly disappointed with EtCR.
Im currently playing a 3e ravenloft game and am seriously considering bowing out because it is the second worsed setting ever designed. In no setting should evil have that much power. The only reason its not the worsed is because dragonlance is far worse. I hope they leave both settings by the way side.
I doubt that Ravenloft as is could be adapted to 4E, however taking the Heroes of Horror supplement and applying it to a pol type setting without the horror movie dressing could work.

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
That's the problem with horror and D&D...I don't think that they're very compatible with one another...that's not to say that elements from both can't cross over, but as genres they are too different.

D&D is mechanically based around the idea of heroic fantasy and extended campaigns. The assumption is that your characters will eventually come out on top.

Horror games don't work well as extended campaigns, they work best when it's generally understood that your characters are living on borrowed time and that the clock is ticking away inexorably toward their inevitable doom. Chaosium's Call of Cthulu is a prime example.

What made the original Ravenloft Module so great, was that it was essentially D&D's answer to Castlevania (or was Castlevania Nintendo's answer to Ravenloft?) It was a detailed dungeon crawl that ended with the characters defeating a powerful vampire, or becoming unwilling blood donors.

It was a great mix of genres that worked well over the course of a few adventures, but doesn't work nearly as well as an entire campaign setting, in my opinion...because it's based around D&D which makes the assumption that ideally your characters will conquer all and grow into towering behemoths of power, and once that happens and the characters have little to fear, then it essentially cheapens the horror element to mere window dressing, which then ruins the entire mood that Ravenloft was built on from the beginning. But that's just my opinion.

Now Spelljammer, there's a setting I'd like to see make a comeback.
Im currently playing a 3e ravenloft game and am seriously considering bowing out because it is the second worsed setting ever designed. In no setting should evil have that much power. The only reason its not the worsed is because dragonlance is far worse. I hope they leave both settings by the way side.

...umm...wtf? spelling errors...baseless claims...opinions stated as fact...yup...sounds like a troll to me. Anyway, back to topic, IMHO I always loved Ravenloft. Aside from it spanning multiple campaign universes, I've always been a bigger fan of darker grittier settings. I think that your opinion of the setting may be due to the DM's inability to run the setting well. It really is fun if you're willing to sacrifice a little extra time to provide mood.

Oh, and bring back Dark sun.