In honor of the Dungeonmaster

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
So Mr. Gygax has passed, and it saddens us all. I've decided to rename Moradin in my games. The creator god and father of dwarfs will now be Gygax. Personally I think it would be awesome if we got them to put Gygax in as a god in the core books.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Kyle
Heartily seconded.
I'm never fond of people dying, but didn't Gary Gygax once say that he hated the typical D&D player?

...still. Gygax should probably become a god or monster or something in honor of him, just 'cause.

Hmm. The Gygax. A mosnter with no hit points, just an attack roll and an armor class.
http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75862/135534/the_praxeum Saga Edition Dungeons and Dragons! An alternative to 4th Edition rules. Post and help build the RPG! You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
div>
So Mr. Gygax has passed, and it saddens us all. I've decided to rename Moradin in my games. The creator god and father of dwarfs will now be Gygax. Personally I think it would be awesome if we got them to put Gygax in as a god in the core books.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Kyle

Personally I find the idea of apotheosis to be creepy and weird.

On the other hand, yes, honor is due. Mr. Gygax did found the pen and paper role plaing game (certainly not alone, but he was the ringmaster and chief carnival barker). By modern standards the games he wrote were outright bad, being lumbering mechanical mostrosities held together by a dozen ad hoc systems, but if those games had not existed then better games would never had followed. By all accounts he was at his finest if you had the chance to actually meet him over the tabletop, as a DM and storyteller. The old boxed edition of Grayhawk is still my favorite gameworld that I have ever played.

I think an apropriate honor would be perhaps a dedication in the new DMG. But naming a deity after him is just. . . creepy.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Kyle

I totally agree. What better way to honor the FIRST AND TRUE DM of D&D???
Wasnt Elminster made after Gary?
I think you mean "Pattern On"?

I don't know. I don't think so.
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
Wasnt Elminster made after Gary?

Elminster was a Ed Greenwood production, though Modenkainen was one of Gygax's play test characters. As far as naming a deity or something else after him, somewhere in Greyhawk there's either a powerful wizard or demi-god named "Xagyg the Mad". That being said I like the idea of a dedication of some kind.
He most definitely needs to be deified. His rules may have made me pull my hair out at times, but if it wasn't for him, I may never have enjoyed this hobby at all. He will be missed.

I think though, I am gonna name a plane "Gygax." It will be the plane of confusion.

A deity to personify him will definitely happen too.
I don't know how exactly good such a brief of the fourth wall would be. However, I too suggest a way of honoring Gary. Let us further immortalize in the greatest way to immortalize anyone in our game.

Let Mordenkainen transcend setting boundaries. Mordenkainen is Gary Gygax's wizard character. It would not be a difficult move to make him transcend the walls of FR. Maybe even make him an ascendant god.

HAVE MORDENKAINEN REPLACE MYSTRA.
As was said, technically there already is a deity named after Gary -- Xagyg or Zagyg the Mad. There's also the Ring of Gaxx as an artifact. We just need to be sure both of those make it into 4e.
I would suggest to name 'Gygax' one of the central neighbourhoods of the new Sigil. Or perhaps the residence of the LoP.

Enter the Gygax!
HAVE MORDENKAINEN REPLACE MYSTRA.

Heartily seconded. It's cool, but it's not creepy like naming a god Gygax would be.
As was said, technically there already is a deity named after Gary -- Xagyg or Zagyg the Mad. There's also the Ring of Gaxx as an artifact. We just need to be sure both of those make it into 4e.

I second this!

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
Though I did mourn the loss of Mr. Gygax (I rolled all of my D20's untill i hit a nat 20 on all of them.) I don't think naming a God, plane of exsistance, or anything like that after him is very well needed.

Perhaps a small subset of spells would be due (like Melfs spells, or bigbys spells.) but not something that might be hard to cross over multiple different campaign settings.

Something more subtle would be much easier to intigrate.
I, too, would like a way to honor the 'father' of D&D, but think naming a diety after him would be a mistake.

Many groups already falsely claim that D&D is a cult, an accusation that many religious groups used to almost wipe out the game back in the late 80's. Using Gygax's name as a diety would only give them more ammo in their crusade.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of naming some spells or magic items after him.

For example, renaming all Mordenkainen spells to Gygax spells, or better yet, keep Mordenkainen's spells, but name a new group of spells after Gygax (preferably a set of spells dealing with knowledge or insight)...

BTW, never met the guy, but played with a group that did game with him for many years. Talked to him on the phone once at 3am. The group I was playing with at the time had gamed with him for years. When I doubted their claim, they picked up the phone and called him on speaker.
I'd like to repeat: The Gygax. It's a monster. It has no hit points, just an attack roll and an armor class. If you're hit, you die, no save.

It'd be in-keeping with Gygaxian play styles.
http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75862/135534/the_praxeum Saga Edition Dungeons and Dragons! An alternative to 4th Edition rules. Post and help build the RPG! You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
div>
I'd like to repeat: The Gygax. It's a monster. It has no hit points, just an attack roll and an armor class. If you're hit, you die, no save.

It'd be in-keeping with Gygaxian play styles.

I have harbored the idea of renaming the Terrasque, Gygax. Maybe give it some cool save or die abilities. I am not sure if its his creation, but that beast can be troublesome.
Hi All,

just spreading this to as many games forums as I am a member.

As a mark of tribute to Gary Gygax we are asking game players of all types to have 1d4 minutes silence in his honour on Saturday. His funeral is at 2pm central US time which is 8pm here in the UK but I don't think it matters when you do it. Maybe when/if you meet some friends at the weekend.

I think we all owe this man a great debt and I can't think of a more fitting way to honour his memory.

Please spread to other gamers.

-----

Cheers.... Glen

Gordian Knot Games

I feel that as long as we keep playing the game, keep imaginations running wild, and work towards making the gae better, we honor his memory. But I also like the idea of changing the godess Mystra for Mordenkainen. Or just go back to the old names for the spells. Though, I am planning on breaking out the old basic and expert sets and rereading those and perhaps running an adventure or two at a convention soon. Just for old times sake.
Gygax definately deserves a tribute of some kind, though naming a God after him would be a little weird. Maybe they should put a new major artifact into the game, named after the first box that D&D came in, and it should have the power to alter and create new worlds, or something like that.
Speaking of Gygax tributes, I went to a deathcore show last night with my girlfriend, as most of the bands were local and we know some of the kids playing.

Well the band threw up a two song Gygax dedication and shook the house with it. It wasnt the place I would have expected one to sound off like that. But none the less it was really cool to see just what scenes the ol Dungeonmaster touched.

be good.
The man is responsible for the hobby surviving its turbulent infancy. That's a feat in and of itself. And for all its faults, I still love the old TSR products.

Any OD&D or 1E player should know what I'm talking about. There was a vibe to those games, even with the cumbersome and wonky mechanics that we'll never achieve again. I get nostalgic everytime I open my original MM1 or flip through my old red cover OD&D texts.

Still, I'd like to get my hands on an original Chainmail text.

As long as we fight like the Nine Hells to keep the hobby alive, we're honoring the Dungeonmaster's memory.
I never read anything about Mr. Gygax being so negative toward D&D, albeit, I never really read anything about him.
I find it odd that he had so many negative things to say about D&D and the players... considering D&D was his brainchild.
I would appreciate it if someone could provide links to these statements by him.
Thanks!

Have a wonderful day!

Yes, that's true. There is even an old Dragon Magazine that describes this deity in 1e rules. The Wikipedia page dedicated to Zagyg has some general guidelines for implementing him as a functioning demigod, at least in rough 3.5e terms.

Zagyg
Title(s): The Mad Arch-Mage
Home Plane: Concordant Opposition
Power Level: Demigod
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Portfolio: Humor, Eccentricity, Occult Lore, Unpredictability
Domains: Chaos, Knowledge, Magic, Rune, Spell
Alias(es): Zagig Yragerne
Superior: Boccob

Using the 3.5e Deities & Demigods and using statistics given for the 4e gods in the 4e PHB, stats for Zagyg could be worked out.
I find it odd that he had so many negative things to say about D&D and the players... considering D&D was his brainchild.

I don't. We're talking about Gary Gygax, a man who by most accounts shafted Dave Arneson out of both the royalties and the credit for creating the game we love, then went on to spend his old age bitterly complaining about how he didn't get his own due.

This is a man who filled his game with Ents (not treants), Hobbits (not halflings), and Balrogs (not Balors), then claimed never to have read Tolkien.

E. Gary Gygax, author of god-awful fantasy novels and cumbersome, virtually unplayable RPGs. The man hailed as the father of tabletop gaming, but the creator of only one game that was even remotely playable, which required decades of revision by third parties, which Mr. Gygax then trashed to no end, along with his own adoring fans. Gary Gygax, the man with one good idea his whole life, but who lacked the capability to do anything with it.

Sorry, but the truth hurts.