Building your 4E setting

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well on the off chance that my group decides to move to 4E (unlikely at this point since everysingle one of them has said they don't want to, but minds could change between now and then) I will need to make a new setting (What info they have given us suggests my current setting just won't work, too many things are missing and too many things are incompatable with what I created)

The idea I am toying with now is this.

The world was divided between 4 great kingdoms, each pushing against each other for territory. Naturally they went to war and the world was plunged into chaos. Then one of the kingdoms (and it remains unknown which) unleashed a devastating magic. Some say they called a star down from the heavens to destroy one of the other three kingdoms. Regardless of what happened the world was shattered beyond recognition.
2 generations have passed and the world is now made of hundreds of small islands. Small kingdoms have grown up and exploration of the shattered world has begun. Strange stories of monsters and ships of black iron abound as small island kingdoms begin to rebuild lost empires.

Dose anyone else have the Seeds of their howmade 4E settings ready? If so lets hear them.
It is a pretty long backstory if I wrote it out completely so shall just do it point-form in chronological order (there are also things predating this, lost to the passing of time)

The Beginning:

-Unknown beings, perhaps the once True Gods created the Worlds. These massive constructs blanket much of the multi-dimensional space within the centre of the universe.
-Inside these Worlds life was held in stasis; the wind frozen, the animals still, the clouds never shifting.
-Each of these Worlds were maintained and left in stasis by a "god-machine".
-On one such World the barriers surrounding it broke, 6 Demiurge, or Angels as we would call them entered this World. They had for eons tried to master the art of World building in the Astral Sea; creating the towers hulks of stone and metal called Dominions.

The Creation of Life and the City:

-The Angels wandered the land, each step they took undoing the precious balance that kept the World in stasis.
-They soon found themselves wishing more of this World, they called upon the god-machine to grant them servants. Their prayers were answered; the beasts of the land were given the ability to speak and think but their animalistic nature did not wain. They became Prodigium; monsters.
-Once more the called out to the god-machine. This time their prayers were answered kindly, the god-machine brought into being the Caelestis, the First-Children.
-With their Caelestis, the Angels began to construct their City. It towered above the mountains and the oceans of the World, it grew mightier and mightier with the passing of time.

The Destruction of Reality and the Birth of the Pandoran:

-It is believed that the god-machine its abilities wanning began to experience malfunctions, one of these malfunctions would cost the Angels dearly.
-The Caelestis one night heard in their mind a message from the god-machine. "No Light can Exist Which is Too Bright", the Caelestis took up the message.
-The City ran knee deep in blood as the Caelestis rebelled the City cracked and shuddered and began to fall covering the World in ruins.
-Out of this chaos, reality too fell creating in its place monstrosities; the Pandoran.
-The Angels fled to die in the corners of the World.

The Way of Things:

-As the Caelestis wandered amongst the ruins of their city the Pandorans struck fearing anything created by the god-machine.
-New cities began to arise out of the ruins, cities ruled by the Pandoran. Soon the Caelestis began to change, many found themselves grow older quicker or become less sensitive to the world around them. These were the first Humans or Ortus as the Caelestis call them.
-Other races began to spawn from the very Flux of reality that spawned the Pandoran. Humans soon found themselves giving birth to Nefas, humans that weren't Human.
-Pandorans rule over much of the World; commanding legions of Caelestis, Humans and Nefas under their banner.
-Some Caelestis who remember try to resist in the backwaters of the World.

Qashmallim the Servants of the God-Machine:

-The god-machine as time passed began to construct for itself its own servants to bring the World back into its original form. These servants are the Qashmallim.
-The Qashmallim spread across the World, their goals singular and precise. They lay and wait or wander and search for those that their goals require to meet.
-Over time some Qashmallim grew corrupted by the Flux, created two orders of Qashmallim.
  • The Elipdos: Those that serve the god-machine and are commanded to bring about order and reality.
  • The Lilithium: Those corrupted by the Flux and only serve themselves and wish to maintain the World as is.

-Some Caelestis saw blindly the Lilithium as the servants of the god-machine and grew corrupt and tainted, becoming the twisted and debauched Atratus. Who live underground in the Subterraneus.

The Passage of Reality:

There are those that for whatever reason or quirk of fate are different then normal men. These people are those that have the ability, knowingly or unknowingly to change the Reality of this World with each step they take.

Most do not reach this, having taking a "mis-step" in fate and leading them off this path.

Some however, like the PCs are not so fortunate, they are the agents of change. Both those that wish it and don't seek their attention and powers, it is up to the PCs to decide which path they take.
wow that's actually real well laid out. I like the way you used the god machine and the quashmelim. My spelling is saturated with beer. Sorry.

I was gonna steal that and use it on my 4e version of the Inevitables. It's better back story then anything else that has been written up for them ( with a notable exception in Elder Evils).
Hehe, thanks assuming you have read the WoD stuff about them that I obviously took and warped for this :P
I am actually starting differently than normal. I am attempting to design it like the "Greenbriar" articles in Dungeon.

Basically I am trying to design the starting town and a few surrounding places and I will branch out from there as need be. It is a totally different approach and I haven't done much yet. Only time will tell how it works out.
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
The World of Otia

In the beginning there were the gods, and the gods did what they wished. The two brothers, Mathyrus and Obimorte, were always quarreling, and in their latest scuff, their excess magic combined, mixing together, and creating the world. This world, which we call Otia, developed life from the radiating arcane magics. Animals, magic beasts, and even some unintelligent aberration rose and roamed the world.

That's when the mother goddess, Iterna, found Otia and took it into her arms. She created many races and creatures, but the elves were her most prize possession.

Over the decades, the other gods took notice of Iterna's new children and their world. This is how many of the other races were created. However, most notably, the humans had yet to be brought into the world, but Betris, the goddess of balance and equality, created a race that would become known as the Immortals.

Time passed again, and the Immortal gain greater and greater power. It seemed that the longer they lived, the greater they become. Soon enough, their empires reached across all of Otia and their very existence threatened the authority of the gods as they made ventures into the chaotic elemental plane, reaching their empire even further.

The gods then held their divine courts and decided that the Immortals must be destroyed. Thus, a genocide had begun. The Immortals began to live in fear and everyday millions of them died. Their empires shrunk and whithered until only a handful of Immortals remained.

These Immortals fled to the planes, where they hid for centuries, running from the gods as the world of Otia rebuilt itself. Betris returned and created another race to replace her lost children, they were the humans.

Then the Immortals stroke. They created a hole in the planes that allowed them into Grimel's, the god of vile magic and undeath, sanctuary. Her the Immortal Jakiv lured him from his safety and the remaining Immortals struck him done, killing him.

Grimel's life faded and his body fell to the earth from the heavens, leaving areas of enormous magical radiation. In these places the creatures became perverse, more so than they were before and several aberrations were created, but one creature stood out above all. The Illithids were born.

A century of horror then occurred as the rest of the mortals races were enslaved and their brains devoured. But, as the terror reached its climax, portals opened to Otia from another plane. Out poured the army of the Daelkyr, created by the savage god Izon to be his personal army. It seemed that in the gods' focus on destroying the remaining Immortals, they had left their evilest of all siblings to his own devices, and boy was that a mistake.

Now the Mind Flayers and the Daelkyr waged war on each other. The Daelkyr demanded the extinction of all races not created by Izon and the Illithids simply couldn't allow their superior race to be destroyed, and nether could they allow there mortal slaves, which were their source of food and reproduction, to be destroyed.

Half a century of even greater horrors ensued as war raged between the two horrible races. Eventually, however, the Mind Flayers were able to win, locking the Daelkyr away deep in the earth. Unfortunately, the war had decimated the Illithids, leaving only a small number left. Thus, a new age of restoration for all the beings of Otia begun.

Since then, many empires have risen and fallen, but no event so tragic as genocide or the interplanar conflict has occurred, and those events that had happened were forgotten from the world.

All the creatures of the world know now is that Otia is rich with magic, with many pockets of Wild Magic, which cause the mutation of normal creatures into aberrations and the like, and that there are two divine factions, the Ancients and the Immortals, and they are at war with each other.

I liked the idea of having a lot of aberrations in my campaign world, and am even in the process of working on a 0 LA aberration template for PCs tainted by Wild Magic areas (but I'll have to edit it when 4e comes out). You'll also notice that I included the Daelkyr from eberron...well...I like 'em. I combine a lot of different campaign settings into this one.
I plan on taking all the (16-20+) PCs and running them through a series of apocolyptic games in the next couple months before 4th edition. The world will be destroyed with the PCs spending there last moments of time gathering the magic and ingrediants to construct a series of magical shields to save as much of the worlds population as possible. The shields will last for a couple thousand years before dropping to give enough time for even the longest lived of races to pass through a few generations. The population of the world will exit to find that monsters and some of the more evil of races have prospered while they where in hideing since the disaster had ended before the projected times.

The world is now shrouded in darkness but for the few groups of people saved by the PCs back in 3.5 . As a side effect there seems to be a new race of Dragonkin the remnents of the once mighty dragons that stories once told of mutated and weakend down to mere humanish form by the disaster.

I Like how this lets me carry on the previous history created by the PCs in the world. While giving a reasonable reason why none of the old PCs are around anymore to much time has passed. It offers an interesting place to have the Dragonkin apear from, and I will probley just have tieflings be humans that where left out of the shelters and tainted by the evil that the world has now become. It does a reasonable job of shifting my current Law and Order world into the new Point of Light concept the game is built on now.

PS. I am a terrible speller and bad at grammer so apoligies here in advance
Wow, I need to update my Valtoria notes..Well, this is a work in progress, and I'll use the spoiler tags to save some space.

Valtoria is a euro-centric campaign setting with a tech level ranging from the stone age all the way to steam punk, depending on location.

Races of Valtoria
The Elder Races

Also known as Elfin kin, The Eladrin, Elves, and Drow were once one race. Some of their history is detailed in the Tome of the Sovereign, depicting their involvement in the Fall. The rest is spun from legends pass around the evening fire. Today, the three races are quite distinct from one another, with variants spread around the world.

Tribes of the South
The high society of the Second Empire is home to the Eladrin. They pursue “noble” affairs with their long lives, typically delving into long studies of magic

Tribes of the North
Across the northern reaches of Valtoria live tribes of the proud and savage Nordic Elves. Typically of blond or red hair and pale skin, these people are willing to brave the icy waters of the Nordic Sea for trade or conquest. They are also a curious people, willing to explore places that no one else would dare to tread.

Tribes of the Forest
In the deep forests of middle Valtoria live the highly elusive forest elves. While intrigued by the more interesting aspects of the shorter-lived humans, they tend to lack interest in higher learning and find mechanics to be abrasive.

Tribes of the West
From a region known on the mainland as the Cursed Isles come the drow. While most drow live in small tribal villages, some have taken to the sea as pirates or emigrated from their homeland to the continent in search of a better life.

The Savage Races
Since the defeat of the Hoards of the East several hundred years before, goblinoids west side of the undying lands have lost much of their original culture. With the exception of the young mountain nation of Theurghime, they have integrated themselves into the lower echelon of human society.

Goblins have discovered that they have a bit of a technical knack, with a dangerous lack of concern involving their personal safety when working with machinery, chemicals, or just about anything. Bugbears are little more than brutes, and serve as hired muscle. Hobgoblins have proven themselves to be quite nefarious, and equally as intelligent as their human counter-parts.

The roles these races play in human society are very similar to the roles they played before their defeat. Hobgoblins are masterminds and excellent warriors, bugbears are subservient muscle heads, and goblins do the dirty work, ignorant of the fact that they are being kicked around by everyone.

Orcs
In contrast, Orcs are more or less antique farm equipment. They work the land as unskilled peasants, typically within the reaches of the Second Empire.

Dragonborn
Another race of the Cursed Isles is the dragonborn. These lesser kin of dragons have their reputations “saved” due to the racial conflicts they have with drow and teiflings.

Teiflings
A race of devilish appearance from the Cursed Isles, in the far past they were once human. When the continent that the Cursed Isles were once a part of vanished in cataclysmic destruction, the humans left in these lands were forever twisted into their current forms.

The Little People
Dwarves, Halflings, and Gnomes are spread around the realms of Valtoria. Gnomes are uncommon, due to the fact that they often forget to think things through. It doesn’t turn out to be a very good survival trait. Halfling gypsies roam about largely in the safety of the Second Empire. Their race is rarely found in the cooler climates.

Most of the dwarves around Valtoria are involved with corporate affairs. They are business men, with companies that span many nations. You won’t find shaggy, unkempt beards on these dwarfs. Often shopkeepers and business owners, a dwarf is always on the lookout for a good deal or investment. If one finds the right dwarf, almost any undertaking can receive investment, so long as the possible reward is high.

The Big Folk
Giant folk are rare, but clans still live in the wilds of Aderant and Corverant. Some of these Big Folk have moved in with the more tolerant areas of human society, with their skills in construction fetching a hefty price.

The Mechanicals
The last war between Aderant and Corverant ended with the collapse of Corverant as a charismatic warforge by the name of Crucible led his people in a revolt. Without the warforge, Corverant had no army to fight or secure their people, leaving them open to attack from raiders, monsters, and enemy forces.

Crucible, known also as the Lord of Blades, has fortified a new stronghold in northern Corverant. His people built their new home on the ruins of a stronghold of the First Empire.

The warforge as a race are located either in or around Corverant or in Aderant. In Aderant, the warforge are still seen as property – both by them and their owners. The scale of the usage of warforge in Aderant is not nearly as massive as what Corverant used. More common is the use of Iron Giants. They are typically powered by bound fire elements and steam engines and are typically used for heavy labor. While not as common outside of Aderant, these construct are finding themselves further and further abroad.

Races of Shadow
Shifters come from the Undying Lands, while Changelings largely appear within the Second Empire. The origins of both seem linked to ancient and forbidden experiments.

Nations of Valtoria

Theurghime
This is a small goblinoid nation tucked away between Aderrant and the Second Empire nestled within the Western Mountains. It was founded when many of remnants of the Goblinoid Hoard were chased out of the broken remains of the Second Empire.

Theurghime’s government is set up much like the tribal system sported by the original hoard with a blending of traditions picked up from nearby kingdoms. At it’s head is the Khan, a hobgoblin in charge of keeping and maintaining order. With the tribes shattered, he considered not only king but head of the family.

The poor soil of Theurghime makes for lousy farming, yet grasses grow in the mountainous terrain that are excellent for raising livestock.

Hobgobins maintain a strong sense of identity and tradition, despite changing from a nomadic society to a settled society. They are craftsmen, warriors, and breeders. In nearby societies it is not unusual for a hob to be hired to run a noble’s stables or as an organizer of guardsmen. Dwarfs enjoy hiring them as they make honest, intelligent employees and excellent foremen.

Goblins are highly curious and lacking in a decent sense of self-preservation. This has attracted them to the study of the mechanical, the magical, and the alchemical. Typically goblins are found in ghettos, whether human or hob, if only because they have lousy personal hygiene. They have an overall lack of concern towards each other. Combined with the fact other races more or less kick them around (something that doesn’t apparently bother them), it’s not uncommon for a dead goblin to turn up with nobody to care about it.

The Cursed Isles
Several sizable islands lie to the west of Valtoria. This lawless region is filled with wild magic and strange creatures. The races of the cursed isles are somewhat varied. Native to this land are the Tieflings, Dragonborn, and Drow. Other races that live here are often criminals fleeing from more civilized lands. As such, it is a dangerous place.

Rumor has it that there are great ruins in these isles from a civilization apart from the First and Second Empires. Folklore persists that the Cursed Isles were once a much greater land, destroyed in a cataclysm that sank it beneath the waves.

Today, Dragonborn and Tieflings can be found in Aderrant as well as a few other nations. While there are certainly stigmas against there races, Aderrant’s general racial tolerance allows them to live their lives in relative peace.

Corverant
The northern-most nation on the continent, Corverant is much smaller than it used to be. Much of it’s army was once composed of (“nazi”)Warforged, who walked off the battlefield at the behest of the charismatic Crucible, the Lord of Blades.

Aderrant
Between everything is the nation of Aderrant. To the west and across the sea lies the Cursed Isles. To the north lies its formal rival Corverant and untamed wilderness. To the east lie the undying lands. To the southeast lies Theurghime and several other smaller nations divide it from the remainder of the Second Empire to the southeast.

Aderrant is a nation of commerce, inter-racial environments, and technological achievement. With the collapse of much of Corverant, its formal rival, it has been left as the most technologically advanced nation in Valtoria.

The First Empire
The most ancient ruins around Valtoria belong to the First Empire, a nation that spanned the continent in eons past. Little is remembered about this empire, other than if one is lucky, ancient and advanced magical and technological wonders can be found in places that have remained untouched for millennia.

The Second Empire
This nation once spanned the length and breath of Valtoria, only to be largely sundered by the arrival of the goblinoid hoard. After the event that created the Undying Lands, many of the current nations of Valtoria declared independence and set up their own kingdoms.

The Undying Lands
When the armies of the Second Empire clashed against the goblinoid hoards, they were crushed. The sheer amount of death caused the Shadowfell to manifest itself that day, with the recently slain brought back to life. Flanked by the now undead army whose living selves had fallen, the hoard was destroyed. After this great battle, the manifested zone remained. Now, undead lords rule this nation that bridges the realm of life and death.

Now I need to refine this a bit, detail the Church of the Sovereign, and work out a Creation/Fall story...
(assuming I DM in 4E) I imagine that it'd start off with a band of adventurers trudging up the road to a lonely Keep on the Borderlands....
And then I'll just make all the rest of it up as I go.

Worked all those years ago when we started playing Basic.
Worked when we adopted AD&D.
Worked again for 2nd ed.
Worked just the same for 3.x
Should work just fine come June.
I'm sort of forging ideas now for a begining city.

It's set in a variation of the "points of light" setting for now.

And it takes place in a massive ancient city, that's been built on top of an even older city. A lot like New New York in Futurama.

The city is occupied by pretty much the entirety of the Monster Manual with a few exceptions like excluding Warforged and Changelings from Eberron.

How they all got there is most are original habitants, the others are survivors of a massive cataclysm who trickled in to the city over time.

It's thousands of years after, the world pre-cataclysm is lost, the host of monsters and dangers lurking in the shadows beyond the walls of the city. City forces protect the upper city and sections of the lower city from the underground invaders of Goblins, Drow, Trolls and other unspeakable evils. Who make the unexplored ruins beneath the city their hunting grounds for anyone who carelessly crawls beneath, or tempts the gods.

The forests, jungles, and broken plains that exist beyond the nations borders are unexplored. With rampaging destructive raids from denizens of the "netherwood" in to local farms and border towns.

There's danger surrounding the survivors of the cataclysm, at all sides.

This gives a whole host of options for the players to explore and experiment with the new game.
My own campaign setting (Kalrithia):

Creation

No one's exactly sure when it began. All that is known is that the only surviving elder god, known simply as Death, mutters something about an "inter-planar elder god kegger" and changes the subject. Assuming anyone can even get Death to chat with them, anyway.

There is the theory that the universe resulted from the elder gods getting together, getting drunk, and creating it through a series of drinking games. Considering how some of the lifeforms look, this is considered quite believable. Most religions hold this theory as blasphemy and there's been more than one recorded instance of Pelor's followers burning someone at the stake for talking about it too much.

Ancient History

At some point, the elder gods either left, died, or simply stopped caring. Considering all inquiries about this typically end up leading to questions about how the universe got started, most people are encouraged to not ask questions. Usually by waking up to find a still-smoldering used torch beside their head.

What is known is that, at some point, a goddess named Thorabinestia came about. Stories disagree as to whether she was created by the elder gods or is a mortal who ascended to divinity. What is known is that she grew lonely. Having grown very lonely, she took mortal form and descended to a random world, where she quickly found a small village and managed to work her way into its social circle. She even managed to fall in love and get proposed to. Sadly, the night she got married, she had too much wine and drunkenly revealed her divinity to the entire town, along with how to gain divinity as well. The townspeople, fearful of this goddess, kidnapped her while she was passed out with her husband and burned her at the stake for witchcraft. Sadly, as they later learned after a five-year-old tried it, her advice about obtaining godhood was sound and, soon, their world was ripped apart as the townspeople, now all gods, feuded with each other and unleashed terrible powers upon it.

Of the forty-some-odd gods, one survived the destruction of their world. This god, leaving the world behind, drifted through the cosmos, lamenting his fallen brethren. Eventually, this god got to drinking too much and created the world that now exists today. When the divinity sobered up and saw it had created a world of madness, it quickly exterminated as much of the life as it could before reshaping the world with more proper animals. Of course, being hungover, the god had not done a complete job, and thus some of its original creations had survived. Today, these creations are known as abberations and their numbers have been added onto by the mistakes of hundreds of wizards since then.

No one is exactly sure when the first sentient life came about. The records have been lost in countless wars between the various races and what little may have survived has since become so corrupted by religious dogma that it is impossible to tell exactly how much is true. In any case, the official creation behind each race is listed in its racial entry (except humans, who are thought to be a result of an elf magic party involving potent hallucinogens).

What is known is that there is a book, written around this time, that details how to gain godhood. The official story varies from church to church, but the oldest records say the god who first created the world wrote the book after smoking a plant he thought was tobacco but which turned out to be something else entirely. These records are also considered blasphemy by most major religions for obvious reasons.

History of Empires

The first nation to be established is the Corlinas City-State, established back in 20,000 B.W.E. It was a democratic society, though limited in that only the wealthiest of land-owners could vote. It was also thought to be the first nation to utilize magic up until the famous historian Magnius Whittlebeard proved that their magic was nothing more than simple card tricks combined with a particular plant that still grows in the area.

Corlinas quickly rose to having several established cities, each one supported by a massive series of farms. It's also the first nation to attempt war when, organizing its farmers, it attempted to pacify the roaming tribes that frequently raided its farms for foodstuffs. It's also the first nation in history to lose a war, since those same tribes turned out to have mastered a very crude form of spellcasting.

It would be another thousand years before another civilization arose, this one being those very same tribes uniting under religious belief to form the Tribes of Kerendor. This fledgeling nation quickly took over all of the territory that once belonged to Corlinas and, within two years, had already evolved their magic to have the equivolent of early clerics. Unlike Corlinas, the Kerendori used trade to pacify their neighbors, a clan of wild people living in nearby forests. Over five hundred years, this trade made the Kerendori quite wealthy in resources... which, in turn, invited invasion from the now-jealous tribe, resulting in the rather quick fall of Kerendor and the stablishment of the first Elven nation.

This Elven nation was eventually destroyed by the same events that split the elves into separate peoples, during which time the dwarves, humans, and other races had begun to establish their own nations. What was to come of these nations, as well as the next seven thousand years, is generally unknown due to a tendency of the still-new fire spells wielded by mages to destroy records combined with the general effectiveness of fire at ending sieges.

The next great empire to arise was the Kelbereth Mage Alliance. This alliance built massive floating cities kept aloft by powerful magical engines, each one a marvel of artifice. In time, the Alliance came to rule over much of the world, bringing education about magic and magic item creation to all known peoples. They brought with them a golden age of general peace and it was thought their empire would last forever.

Sadly, the Alliance was doomed to failure. Months before the final territories of the world were to fall under its control, a series of strange accidents and thefts occured throughout many laboratories. Spells were miscast, components and magic items went missing, and one laboratory was found to have completely destroyed. The mystery of this was soon solved when a young magistrate of the Alliance was found to be having a party with people in various stages of undress, inebriation, and general drug intake near one of the magical generators. This magistrate, upon being caught, attempted to teleport to safety... only to have his drunken state cause the teleportation to go awry, disrupting the magical engines of all of the floating cities and sending the entire civilization crashing to the ground.

It was in the aftermath of the literal fall of the Alliance that outsiders came to be known to the Mortal Plane. Investigators discovered that the magistrate had been controlled by a group of succubi, who were using him to gain access to various parts of their civilization in preparation for demonic invasion. The massive magical power being used by the Alliance had drawn the attention of the outsiders, and some of them did not have good attentions towards mortals. In the end, it was discovered that a celestial had purposefully sacrificed itself to cause the magistrate's teleportation to go awry, which not only stopped the upcoming invasion by removing what was to be the power source for the portals but also killed the succubi. Thus, mortals had been saved by the destruction unleashed.

That's all I have right now. I need the core rulebooks to write more. But, well, you get the idea of what this world is like.
I am still not ready to leave Greyhawk behind. We've been playing in the setting for ages, and have LOTS of history with the world. How does this work with the Points of Light concept? Some other part of the world would do nicely, some place where people haven't been for years, decades,... Centuries. A place like the Sea of Dust.

My new campaign, the Sea of Dust Setting, can be found here.

Be well in all things,
Rave
Answers never come to those who refuse to face the fact that there are questions. -R. Ryder
Jcmead I really like your apocolyptic thing. I did something similar to end an epic campaign (it'd gone on for I think 4 years up to epic), which ended with a single island being shielded from massive polar shifts on the plane. The PCs survived the apocolypse, but didn't outlast the following climate changes.

Yours is cool because it even sets the stage for 4e.
My 4e setting (work in progress, of course) is sitting in the 3.5 board's Campaign Workshop, unfortunatly untouched in months. Just got myself caught up in a number of other things. Anyway, opening fluff crossposted here for your ease-of-viewing pleasure :D

--------------------------------------------------------

Hello fellow traveller. I am Agria Garian, a vagabond. I wander this land in search of those who know more of this land than I. There are not many. That is not because I am special, though, but rather due to the fact that I have been travelling since The Fugue. Ahh, The Fugue. The day five years ago when everyone woke up with no recollection of the past. Some were worse off than others, not remembering their professions, their family, their names. It intrigues me that there were no children, and few elders. None who could not take care of themselves. It brings many to the conclusion that The Fugue was deliberate, inflicted upon us, as opposed to some natural event. Some even believe that there was nothing prior to The Fugue, that we were all created just five years ago. I assume nothing.

I, as well as other travellers and adventurers, am known as an Aithanphosian. A bit of a jab at people like me, it refers to a legend, mostly passed around by travellers and bartenders who wish to trade hope for money. The tale refers to a grand city, always seen by a reputable friend of a friend. This city, defended well from all the dangers of the world, is said to contain all the world's knowledge, including that from the time before The Fugue. Some undertake a life of travel and adventure in a search for this mythical city, some are drawn by the freedom of the road, the excitement of new locales, and others, like myself, travel out of a desire to discover the truth; Truth behind The Fugue, truth about the world, or just a personal inner truth. Regardless of the reason for adventuring, it is common for any traveller to be referred to as, "One who seeks Aithanphos," or Aithanphosian, in short.

This land has no one name, simply referred to as The Land when reference to the entirety is necessary. Generally, though, one does not reference the land in it's entirety, but rather by kingdom, or more often geographical area; for example, we currently are in the midst of the Kolkala Hills, lands mostly inhabited by small tribes of Padravan, Kurga-Kel, and the occasional wandering Chekre clan. Land, since The Fugue, tends to belong to those who claim it, and protect it. Kingdoms are small, many villages unprotected, and the lands wild. Of course, one does hear stories. I have heard tales, recently, of conquering bands under a united flag claiming large tracts of land, villages and town being overrun, and resistance being met with force. If the stories hold truth, these forces originate from what was once the town of Kailor. This, "Kailorian Empire," if it exists, may be what will be known as the first attempt to unite this fallen land since The Fugue. I doubt the truth of the stories, but one can never know for sure.

In any event, I have taken up space around this campfire for long enough. Perhaps we shall meet on the road again, and I can bend your ear with news of the world. May your search for your own Aithanphos go well, fellow adventurer.
I am actually starting differently than normal. I am attempting to design it like the "Greenbriar" articles in Dungeon.

Basically I am trying to design the starting town and a few surrounding places and I will branch out from there as need be. It is a totally different approach and I haven't done much yet. Only time will tell how it works out.

I have found the Greenbriar idea a real challenge for two reasons. First, I tend to think BIG! Starting a campaign out from a small town, or small point of light, and branching out is just the opposite of how I normally do things. Second, I have not purchased the Races and Classes, or Worlds and Monsters books and have virtually no idea what we are in store for with 4e. I find it very hard to write a campaign setting without knowledge of the existing pantheon, or detailed info on races. I have made the decision to use the Core pantheon rather than come up with my own, so I am sort of set in a limbo period until more info came come to me...which is driving me nuts! That being said, I really like the idea of starting small. The approach is a challenge and I look forward to filling it out.

Lot's of nice homebrew campaigns here. Nice work all!
I already have a map drawn up (this is how i start every campain)
The Brettonian Empire (think King Arthur's Camelot) rules one fourth of the world, The Elven Nations another 4th The Dwarven Reaches another 4th the last is an unkown contitdent that no one really knows about.
In my campain the PCs will travel to a mountain called the Bull'shorn to help fight an enemy of the dwarves. There they find an entance to the bullshorn and go inside. they then realise that is is an odd machine built eons ago, called the Tower of Stone. on activation a yellow beam of light is emited from it going out across the sea.
They then travel to the elven nations to the Tower of Glass they activate it and a green beam goes out across the land and sea. they then go to the Tower of Iron and activate it, a red beam. they then follow the enemies they hae been encountering to the Tower of Slate ruled by an evil Warlock that wants to free the Devourer ,an ancient evil force that lives to destroy, from it's prison in the Void. the PCs must stop him by activating the Tower of Slate, red beam. then following the beam of light they travel the Sea of Sorrow to an island no one knew about. There they fight the Warlock and must make some moral delima to stop the Devourer from entering the world.

Also they come to the realisation that the Gods are moral (but extremely powerful) and that the Creater is what made everything.
... Second, I have not purchased the Races and Classes, or Worlds and Monsters books and have virtually no idea what we are in store for with 4e.

You should look in Amazon or Ebay and see if anyone is selling the books. You might get a deal!
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
Ok for my setting, it's rough, because it's only for a taster campaign right now. Thought some more about it last night and I've thought of a general concept, the details just need filling in.

In this world, it's a smallish continent, there aren't any countries, I decided against that, instead, the continent is dotted with city states ala ancient greece (I think FR has this system too doesn't it? I don't know a lot about FR).

These city states have a very rough borders, but the change depending on which state you're talking to, and it makes little difference anyway because the city states only really have control of the area immideately surrounding them. The city states have small villages and towns dotted around them, these are governed by the city, they pay taxes in exchange for protection, although not all towns do, but they then recieve no benefits of being affiliated with the state. There are also minor cities dotted about, similar to the city states, but not very powerful, and influenced greatly by the nearby metropoli.

Each metropolis is connected by trade highways, trade is incedibly important in this world, each metropolis usually controls something the others need. There are no real wars between cities, because the logistics to capture a metropolis is just not available, there are pitched battles when a dispute arises, but these are more akin to gentlemen's duels.

The reason they don't attack each other and rely on each other is the wilderness is very dangerous, the metropoli are busy enough dealing with whatever lurks outside their towns.

So far I have two cities with a good conecept and ideas for others:

One city, the biggest, is a massive metropolis, the reason it is so big is it is actually two cities that began quite close by and then merged together over hundereds of years as they grew, one city was an elven ruled city, and the other mainly human, so you get an interesting mix of architechture. One half is distinctly elven, while the other is distinctly human, and where they join, you get a mix of the two and sometimes, a combination in the same buliding. This city would be the super power of the setting, but because they're two cities combined, there is often internal disagreement on the correct course of action, when an important even occurs, there is lots of red tape to cut through before the city can actually deal with the problem. The landmark of the city would either be a large citadel in the centre, which merges the two architectures, or two separate towers, one elven, one human.

The other city I have concepted is a harsh city. The laws are very strict and the punishment severe. The reason for this is this city is in especially hostile territory, they have enough problems coming from the outside, so any problems caused inside need to be dealt with swiftly, and the harsh punishments help keep the majority of citizens on the straight and narrow. However, it's not an oppressive city, most citizens realise the need for these laws and enfact call for it, it they have done nothing wrong, they have nothing to fear, and if someone wrongs them, it is likely to be resolved quickly and with a satisfying punishment.

I should point out, although you might consider that last city to be evil, it's not really, it's just different, there aren't really any evil city states in this setting, there isn't one hell bent on domination of the world, because domination of the world is next to impossible. Some cities might seem harsh or have peculiar customs, but there isn't really an evil city.

I want to include some kind of underdark (this could be exactly the same as the underdark, or it could perhaps be an alternate plane that often crosses over), but I'm not entirely sure how to implement it. If I do, one of the reasons the above city would be so dangerous would be it's a hotspot for "underdark" activity.

Some other cities I have briefly thought of:

A mainly dwarven city; exports mainly mined goods like metal and gems

A moroccan style desert city; founded on massive salt pans, exports salt, essential to the running of every city, without these exports the population couldn't survive at it's current levels

All these cities are multicultural. Some may have a majority of one race, but every race has the same rights in each city. They might not be quite as respected, like a newcomer human in the dwarf city would be looked down upon slightly, but at the same time, he still has the same rights as every dwarf.
My one
With the fall of the multi-planar Thiefling and Dragonborn Empires many human and other race domains are now without master… Imperials city of the two empire are now isolated and fall in ruins. Magical forces engaged in many war within the two empires let the world with ruins. In our dark day, many places of the material world are near the shadowfeld and the feywild. But in the darkness… spare across the land, city-states fight the darkness of the old world.
You should look in Amazon or Ebay and see if anyone is selling the books. You might get a deal!

I did look on Amazon and did find a great deal on the books! Sadly, even though the price is very cheap, I am in such a sorry state that I can't afford even the slightest financial frivolity. I am waiting for my tax return to pre-order the 4th ed books.

Such is the life of a father-gamer

Thanks for the tip though
My root world is a bit of melting pot, a little bit from most sourcest hat I can't help but enjoy when it coems to fantasy.

In the west there is an island group where the paths between the material world adn the Feywild seem to litter the landscape so that nearly every village has some connection to that other realm.

Far to the north is the Snowfall, a barren waste of a tundra where Barbarians rule tribes of hard men with the wisdom of their shamen.

To the south, there are the sun blasted lands of shifting sands and deserts without end.

To the East, the only great empire that has yet to fall. The Jade Empire, Empire of the dragon, it is called many names but little is known of it save those tales told by the brave adgenturers that survive the long passage through great mountains, monster filled valleys, and warlord controled plains, and the few wandering monks that have come from this land to teach their ways to the people of the rest of th world.

Into all of this the heroes find themselves drawn from other worlds. Using what ever published world they want as their home world (Ebberon, Greyhawk, or Forgotten Realms) they create a character that went to sleep after an adventure or mission, only to dream about a strange creature of increadible beauty who asks them for help. As soon as they agree to help in some way or form they wake around a small camp fire int he ruins of a temple in the middle of a dark forrest.

They can leave the forest goign any direction they want, but the direction they choose will take them to a different village and lead to finding one of half a dozen great threats I have been working on that is trying to destroy the world.
I am seriously considering running an "Elric of Melnibone" style setting for our first delve into 4e (if we go there, we haven't really decided if/when/etc...). but my sons and I really like the Elric books.

I'm thinking I will have the PCs start out in the young kingdoms and really limit their exposure to any Melniboneans until I get a handle on creating races in 4e - or maybe, if I have to have a Melnibonean, I'll just gently tweak the Eladrin. In explaining the presence of Tieflings, I was thinking of using the Melniboneans penchant for summoning demons as a good segueway into why Tieflings are here. Perhaps they are the descendents of Demons & human melnibonean slaves, or perhaps they are a lesser powerful type of demon who, through generations of living away from the abyss have lost most of the dark powers... or maybe something completely different, I don't know.

Overall, though, I am excited about starting something new, but so far - without having seen the core material - I'm still not 100% where I'm going to go in setting, or even if I'm going to readily adopt 4e. I'll peruse the books, and the forums, and then see if we'll take the plunge.

Cheers

ANTILLUS

[INDENT][/INDENT]The world of Antillus is broken up into 6 human kingdoms, 2 half-elf states, 3 elf protectorets, 2 dwarf principalites, 5 halfling river lands, 3 dragonborn states and 1 dragonborn kingdom, eladrin live mostly in my magic dominant human kingdom, and Tieflings are nodadic.
[INDENT][/INDENT]The humans in the six kingdoms live in a current state of peace. The kingdoms are The Republic of Purn, The Kingdom of Keldore, Goardia (currently run by a military dictatorship), the Magical Meridian (magocracy), The Holy Land of Paxrom (theocracy), and the Allied States of Silika (city states/monarchy).
[INDENT][/INDENT]Dragonborn are divided up into 4 colors, the green of Certif in Keldore, the steel colored of the wastes in Goardia, the dark brown/light green of Shaps in Meridian, and the copper/tan of the Shifting Sands.
[INDENT][/INDENT]As far as monsters go most have been pushed in to the shadowlands but from time to time a small pocket of before unknown monsters may spring up. Goardia and Meridian being on the border of the shadowlands are the first lines of defense.
[INDENT][/INDENT]The Shadowlands are currently being run by the drow using the orcs as shocktroops, the goblins as scouts, and the hobgoblins inbetween. Most gnomes live on the border of the shadowlands and act as traders to the nonshadowland races and guides to the shadowlands.
[INDENT][/INDENT]Other races-Warforged guard a region that borders Meridian, Paxrom, and the shadowlands, known as the outlands, a mountainous region of bandits, heritics, and political exiles.

If you hve any ideas to add to this let me know and I will take it under advisement.
I'm looking at creating a world similar to the Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte. The series starts out with a man foreseeing the fall of the Roman Empire and he gathers the best people he can find to live at his villa to help stem the tide of darkness that is to come. It's a great series and I highly suggest reading it if you have not already. It's a great point of light reference. If you wanted to base it around this world, it would definitely be low fantasy but it wouldn't take much to move it to high fantasy.
I haven't got much yet, only some ideas and part of the history.

Years of Bronze
At the beginning of the world, if we can trust the words of our shamans, all the celestial spirits fought a perpetual war. Their motives for fighting this war are unknown to us mortals, but the dark elves have kept an accurate history and deep in their libraries their are still some accounts of the war. At one moment a spirit, known as Valorem, discovered how to make bronze weapons and his armies quickly became more victorious is battle, but it did not take long before the knowledge of bronze spread to the other factions and the war lasted for seven years more.

Years of the Trickster
The war ended when a young and cunning spirit, known as Callidus, tricked the others and murderer all the warlords of the other factions. The remaining warlords were very grateful and Callidus became their new leader. His reign lasted for nine years in which he brought peace and justice amongst the spirits and his reign would have lasted longer if it wasn’t the nature of the spirits to be forgetful. They had forgotten all the good things that Callidus had done and became envious of his power and his status. Callidus was murdered.

Years of light
With the death of Callidus two new factions had appeared. The dark elves, former supporters of Callidus, tried to resist the influence of the light elves, supporters of the murderers. The light elves had chosen a new leader, Sxino, who now ruled over the spirits. He founded an order of knights with the mission to find all dark elves and kill them. Many dark elves tried to hide and many fled into the shadow realm, never to return again, but many more died a horrid death by the blades of Sxino’s knights.

Sxino’s journey to the underworld
Sxino aged slowly, but when he became 257 he started to fear death and that is why he gathered his men and with a small army he started a journey to the underworld to find out what laid ahead of him.
The journey first took him through the shadow realms, home to the dark elves, pale of skin, like a corps and dark black of hair. Consumed by envy and a craving for wealth these nomadic elves travel through the shadow realms after they were banished from Sxino’s kingdom.
The shadow realms are a barren desert of dark grey sand and, except for the occasional rock or pool of dark black poisonous water, there is nothing. Sxino and his army got lost in the everlasting desert and eventually Sxino turned insane and he was killed by one of his guards. He never reached the underworld alive.

The elven homeland
During Sxino’s absense his empire collapsed and with it the entire race of light elves began its downfall. Younger races, those of men and changelings, started to colonise former elven territory. The light elves almost completely died out and nowadays only a few human bloodlines exist that call themselves “elventouched” as they have some light elf ancestry.

Magic

Every object, living or dead, is inhabited by a sentient spirit. Spirits differ in strength, sentience, age and alignment. Some mortals can control these spirits, increase their power, or even kill them and use their power for their own doings. Others make pacts with certain spirits and by doing that gain control over some of the spirits powers. Yet again there are others who learn to manipulate our own spirits, these people are capable of healing and some can even resurrect the dead.

Mechanics:
  • Elventouched use the stats of Half-Elfs
  • Dark Elves are Eladrin and Light Elves are Elves
  • Warlocks: Make pacts with natural spirits to gain supernatural powers
  • Wizards: Manipulate natural spirits to gain supernatural powers
  • Clerics: Manipulate the spiritual energy within themselves and within others.
  • PC races will be Human, Elventouched, Dark Elf, Light Elf, Weretouched (Shifter) and maybe some other races. I think I will not include dwarves or halflings. I am interested in including both Tieflings and Dragonborn.
After reading the prereleases, Races & Classes and Worlds and Monsters, things started clicking. It's mentioned that humans do not have a patron god, their creator, who mysteriously disappeared long ago. W&M tells of how their design team discarded an idea in which Zehir (then known as Set) killed the human god. It also tells of the ruined human empire of Bael Turath, which spawned the tieflings. And R&C states that the biggest human flaw is corruptibility.

Disjointed, I know, but let me try to connect the thread. It stands to reason that any race mirrors it's creator, so the human god, too, was corruptible. Following the battle in which the gods beat back the primordials, the human god desired to be more powerful than his contemporaries, and formed a shaky alliance with the primordials. Many of his followers did the same, striking pacts for more personal power and gain. They then waged a war of extinction against the dragonborn, and when it was over, the human god was much weakened.

The other gods decided that this could not continue, fearing that once the human god recovered, he would train his sights on them. So Set, with reptilian coldness, did that which the other gods spoke, he killed the human god. Concerned with the ramifications should this ever be discovered, a cover story was put in place about a ruined city called Bael Turath and accounting for the presence of the tieflings. And Set became Zehir.

Although there was never a city called Bael Turath, there was an empire of Bael Turath. The name of the now deceased human god? Bael Turath.

This does two things. First, it removes the dragonborn from the world, whom I didn't like as a PC race. Secondly, for me, it better explains the presence of tieflings, who, although a separate race, are now part and parcel in human society.

As far as the physical world, I've decided to hang onto some of the old faves. The dwarven clanholds of the Ridgeback Mountains. Aarianii-aa-falai ("the forest of the sky" in elvish), an enormous magical forest, the wood of whose trees is lighter than air and allows for the construction of flying ships. In ages past, the entire forest ripped free of the ground (taking with it an incredible amount of earth secured by the tree's roots), and it was only the elves' great magic which restrained it's flight. It now floats hundreds of feet in the air, direct over where it was on the ground, and not moving with the wind. This is definitely going to be the principal area where the Feywild bleeds over into the world.

The area below this forest is called Uundarii -uu-falai (the land beneath the forest), and is a huge bowl which catches the rain runoff from the magical forest. This land is wondrous, with mushrooms growing as large as manor houses. The halflings which have taken up residence on the fringe of the mushroom forest have adapted quite well. Carving their homes from the fungus, domesticating and riding the creatures which live there, an elite few even using, as mounts, the giant bats which dwell beneath Aarianii-aa-falai.
Some very interesting ecosystems.

As far as where I'm planning to start the adventure, I'm thinking in a plains community next to a river fork. Halfling water caravans foster trade between the human of the settlement, the dwarves of the Northern Rim, end the elves and eladrin to the west. In the spring, as the snows melt to the north, all trade is forced to a halt as the river swells. The timing of the new campaign will be just before the spring thaw, and will allow a selection of humans, tieflings, dwarves, halflings, elves, and eladrin as PC races. As I've said, dragonborn will not exist in my world, nor will warforged.

However, dragonborn existed at one time, so an expedition to one of their ruined cities is always a possibility, should the campaign call for it. Anyway, as long as this post was, it's only a fraction of what I've got. Perhaps I should get a trademark berfore revealing more...
Awesome stuff. My 4E campaign is going to be the first time my old gaming group has gotten together in almost 20 years, so it's going to start in a small town, just after the characters grew up together, and just like we knew each other in real life. I'm going to take the most simple premade adventures I can find and tie them loosely together, and see how it goes. Totally off the cuff, and as player driven as possible.
Xearic-a land of magic and primal fury.

Races {Definites}
Humans
Elves
Drow
Dwarves
Dragonborn
Halflings
Burks {homebrewed}
Orcs

Races i'm still thinking about:
Teiflings {probably}
Gnomes
Warforged {Small Chance}
Fearie {possible homebrew of three foot tall flying magic people}

The humans abound in their villages on the plains and their Ports. The elves, tall fast warriors, hunt and wander through their forests, fascinated by nature, but no strangers to defending it. The dwarves work metal and mines, also mastering the art of warfare. The halflings live on and near water, in floating wooden villages and boat houses. The Dragonborn are pride filled warriors from a lost world. The Burks, a race of aquatic fish people inhabit the vast inner sea, fending off terrible monsters. The drow, a race of evil black skinned elves, live beneath the surface of the world, worshiping their evil god and doing her will. Most races share a neutral attitude toward each other {most of them hate the drow and orcs, though} and get along fairly well. Wars come and go, and shape the landscape of the world.

Other Stuff
I'll include all core classes, with the adition of the warmage and scout.

Once, all there was to exestence was four gods-Earth, Fire, Water, and Air. They each existed in their own realm {plane} of existence, constructing their creations-Elementals. The Four gods existed in harmony for many eras, until they started to think themselves the best. They were plunged into the worst war in astral history, but also the creation of the universe. Elements went insane, waves of water colliding with walls of fire, air eating through earth, fire biting and burning earth, air blowing through water-it was endless chaos. Elementals of every shape and size battled in the greatest battle of all time. In this utter, destructive chaos, all Four Gods were destroyed-but the Universe was created. All these elements had formed into the stuff of the World, a place of natural beauty, and the other realms, where the new gods existed, and space, an empty place of mystery. The raw energy created by the war made magic, a new powerful element. Life came to exist in the World, the works of th gods themselves. After many, many ages {millions and millions and millions and millions and millions of years}, the world is in its present state.

Xearic
The Continet that serves as my campain setting is Xearic, an ancient place of nature, magic and mystery, where dangers abide. The line between good and evil is blurred, and Xearic is a place of darkness and endless wilderness. Most of Xearic is either forests or plains, with a huge Inner salt water sea in the center. But, There is the great, vast, dry wastelands of the Sinyou desert in the far south, the vast jungles in the South East, the many tropical islands that dot the Inner Sea, the Hellspire Mountains, and the vast Bearspear tundras of the northern reaches of the world. Xearic is a place of wild and interesting Geography, populated by natural and bizzare things {often both}.

Just a few ideas.
you obviously have put your heart into this world. So far, i am loving it. As long as you feel your campaign is 'natural/ cohesive' it will be easier to tell the story to the players. After all, the more comfortable and intimate you are with your ideas, the better you can express them. Buenos
That's all I have right now. I need the core rulebooks to write more. But, well, you get the idea of what this world is like.

Well if no one else is going to say it I will. You win.

My favorite part is the unifying theme of substance abuse as a catalyst for change.

Incidentally, you're actually Terry Pratchett aren't you?
Hmmm...some very good ideas for campaign worlds.

Though I am building my own fantasy realm, it's for the purpose of writing a series of novels, and unfortunately it would be impossible to represent in D&D mechanics, even with the new edition. And that is where most of my creative energies are being focused at the moment.

However, I have been bandying about the idea of a home-brewed campaign setting. The basic idea is based around the invasion of the American continents by European colonialists in an alternate universe analogous to our own that recasts North and South America as a Tolkienesque landscape of magic and other high fantasy tropes.

In the interest of keeping this as brief as possible, I'll avoid going into a lot of specifics and rather offer a broad overview...

There are essentially 5(?) continents, separated by an "endless sea" so called because the oceans don't span across distances that can be measured in leagues, but rather time and space. So few really have the capability to traverse these oceans (and the ones who can aren't talking) that is, until recently, when one man manages to develop a type of compass that successfully navigate across the endless seas and to the realms beyond.

And so the basic principle of the campaign setting is that player characters are indigenous to this "New World" where demi-human races have built great cities and empires and humans exist in tribal societies patterned after those of Native Americans. Their way of life is disrupted when strange iron ships arrive upon their shores, bearing men with strange devastating weaponry, and monstrous humanoids that have been enslaved to fight, as well as soulless mages and machines that act as men. They wave flags of peace but secretly plot to conquer.

And with these men come agents from two separate orders, one a secret society of evil men dedicated to using vast stores of secret arcane knowledge to control an empire behind the scenes (based loosely around the Illuminati and Masonic conspiracy theories) and agents of a race chosen by the gods to be the wardens of secrets too dangerous to fall into evil hands (based around Hassidic Jews) both seeking answers to a vast and complex equation, said to hold the secrets of the universe.

So players can take place in political struggles of trying to unite the different demi-human factions against the invading forces, or perhaps seek to bargain their way into the antagonists favor for whatever power their strange science can offer. They can wage guerilla warfare on the invaders colonies, or delve into ancient ruins searching for clues about the Alpha Equation(?) or other great, long forgotten mysteries of the universe. Maybe, they can even comandeer a ship and see the homeland of these colonialists, or travel to other strange continents.

Anyway...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Funny enough, the campaign setting I created as the "greyhawk" of my own FRPG fits really well with the Points of Light saga... In fact, it fits well with how they adjusted the races fluff text too.

Dichatome
In the beginning, there was the Earth, the world of Terra. Prestine, beautiful, and flowing with abundant magical forces and stray knowledge of the cosmos; the remenants of creation.

Mankind learnt to harness these powerful forces, and built great monolithic cities of crystal augmented with their technology; the better to harness the ambient magics still buzzing with creative potential. And thus, the nation of Atlantis was formed.

No-one knows how it happened, but on one fatefull day, an experiment to combine magic and technology failed and a great rift was torn in the fabric of Space-Time. Intense magical and gravitational forces pulled through the vortex, warping the delicate balance of the world. Continent-spanning Tsunami battered the world while monolithic volcano's thrust out of the mantle to spew molten devistation.

In an instant, an explosion of creative force rippled across the face of Terra, unmaking the world, and in one day, where the world once stood, two now stood in its place.

However, the worlds were not the same. The vortex of unmaking as it came to be known, split the essence of Terra (Magik & Inspiration) in twain. The twin worlds, formed in the wake of the devistation were each a manifestation of a single element.

The essence of Magik coalesced into the world of Myrmidon; while the essence of Inspiration and Creativity - powers of Technology, formed that which we know today as Earth.

The dichotomization of Terra had been wrought.

The History of Myrmidon
No-one knows if it was because Myrmidon retained the essence of Magik, or whether it was happenstance, however, what can be agreed upon is that for whatever reason, the energies which split the world in twain, remade life in the same fashion.

While not all were affected, those that were touched by the creative forces of the unmaking were torn apart, and where once there was but one creature, two now stood in its place; Mirrored reflections of a single defining trait, magnified and concentrated beyond measure.....Monsters, and feral creatures now ravaged the lands.

Where-ever the tendrils of unmaking struck man, he too was unmade, and in the wake of the devistation, three races of humanity were born.

The Fae - creatures born of the concentrated essence of mans intelligence (resemble grey aliens however I can see the Eladrin fitting nicely); The Ogres - towering creatures of raw emotion made flesh; and Man - those untouched by the unmaking.

The Fae, incapable of emotion, sought to remake this world in their own, gifted image; and thus began an eon of experimentation. No-one knows how the Fae declined, but rumor has it that they retreated through an artificial rift to Earth's moon.

The Ogre's, incapable of reason, sought to unmake all that was made in fits of blind passion, and were nearly wiped out by the clever and inventive Fae. In their war against the powerful and numerous ogres, the fae created many other species: The Dwarves, the Elf, the Giants; Dragons - living war machines.

In the dust, many races crawled from the ashes of what was once a mighty empire to stare about.....

However, the umbilicus between the worlds was tenuous, and occassionally, energies from both worlds bled through.... Sometimes this bleed-through would cause a rift to open, and creatures from both worlds could cross the planar boundaries.

It is prophecised that every thousand years, during the time of the great rift, a human would attempt to remake the world, and bring armageddon down on both worlds....

It has been nearly a thousand years since the last great rift opened....
I really liked the idea of the PoL setting. But as a simulationist have has a few major problems with the idea of a single city/town being self-sufficient and travellers being few. With this in mind I decided to focus on a small, and I mean small area. Although not quite as tiny as a single town.

Westire: Nation, Country, Alliance
Show

The country of Westire is roughly 3,000 square miles and technically isn't even a safe haven. So one couldn't really say it's surrounded by danger on all sides. Rather, there's danger on all sides AND on practically every road within the nation. The country itself is a loose coalition of seventeen provinces [it'd be a stretch to say even city-states]. The three largest towns have populations of a mere five thousand while most villages survive with 750-1600 people. The center of Westire is Spirit, a city ruled by a monarchy who claims governance over the whole region despite it being closer to an alliance of small states.

Race
Show

And, of course, where does this morsel fit in? Why we have tensions everywhere! There's those pesky elven tribes in the north...and south..and they seem to grow like weeds in the woods of the country.

Dwarves? Everyone loves the dwarves. Who couldn't when they bring in shipments of precious gold and mithral? How else could we mint coins?

Halflings? Oh yes I have heard of those creatures. Hin, they call themselves, no? I do say they have a floating raft town in the lake to the east! A full two day's journey by boat it is. Those little people provide the main guides for moving goods safely along the rivers. And guards to boot.

Demons? We have those...bastards took land from my good friend Lord Neuf just twenty years hence. The king granted it to them! Of course Neuf disagreed but it's hard to fight when the other side has demon horns and a small army.
It's said they came from past the northern deserts from a far away place. Name? No I didn't ask. Why would I care where they came from? They're here and they even have two noble families now. Pfft, disgusting isn't it?

Dragonborn? Yes I have met one. They are quite the warriors. They took refuge within Spirit during the End of Days. Unfortunately due to the whole death coming to almost everyoen we're not really sure where they came from BEFORE that....I still don't trust them though.

The Faeries? I know little personally. Every full moon their city appears within the Moonlit Forest and the Dreux province has strong trade with them. I've heard several have settled in Spirit itself but I have yet to see one.

Of course I have plans for the warforged, shifters, gnomes, and anything else the MM throws out at me but they're not important unless someone wants to play them. Even if I personally dislike a race I feel it would be wrong to simply state, Oh..that doesn't exist. If a player asks, I will provide.

PoL ideas *may or may not get implemented*
Show

*Nighttime is dangerous. Why? Well it's dark you idiot! Oh and the barriers between worlds weaken according to the phases of the moon leading to things from other places...walking..about. They seem to avoid noisy areas though so every full moon we party!

*Bandits? What? Kill them?!!? NO we don't want you to kill them! We want you to bring our shipment of gold to them for the month. No No, We don't want you to kill them! They keep out the freaking harpies, are you dense? Criminals? Oh you are a dolt. Do you see the king's, **** that, the Corday family's soldiers anywhere? Course not. Bandits may tax us worse then a noble but...you do what you have to.

*Gnome villages of mushrooms

*Demons/Devils from the End of Days still walk the earth. Although preferably they're busy eating some other village's farmers at the moment and not ours. Last year we lost all the potatoes!

The first few games will all be centered around the small village of Tuseilles in the Corday Province. Harpies, lost cities, mysterious disappearances, political manuevering, player group vs. player group, and life-threatening battles will all feature a major role. What fun is a dungeon without a cast of NPC's along for the ride to calculate your gains, analyze the historical state of the ruins and cooks to feed you? Oh and don't forget the king's agent along for the ride who may secretly be plotting with your own bodyguard [who your vengeful brother has sent along without your consent...]. A thread on th construction of the town can be seen here.

I'm also looking for others to expand/possibly change and use this setting. If you like what you see above please go here
Dose anyone else have the Seeds of their howmade 4E settings ready? If so lets hear them.

I will be converting my current world (I use the Mystara maps, but not a lot else from the setting) and possibly having it collide and merge with the new Realms. Thus, I kill 2 birds with 1 stone -

1. I get to keep my NPCs and fluff,
2. I get to run the New Realms stuff that has me excited.
Color me flattered.

LIFE CYCLE OF A RULES THREAD

Show
Thank_Dog wrote:

2Chlorobutanal wrote:
I think that if you have to argue to convince others about the clarity of something, it's probably not as objectively clear as you think.

No, what it means is that some people just like to be obtuse.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of home-brewed campaign settings as a whole.

The reason being that in my experience, games run in home-brews that have been developed with a DM's sole input have a greater tendency towards player railroading. And I personally like to feel as though my character is an influencial part of the story, and not just another schmoe along for the great and powerful NPC exhibition.

"Yes players! Sit back and marvel at my epic story and cool characters! Quick fetch my Paladin his longsword so that he may slay your arch nemesis in the name of the god D'EMicus!"

Of course, it could just be that I've had bad luck with this, and that most home-brewed worlds are designed as open sand boxes in which players can take on a variety of different adventures...but I'd never know because I always get stuck in the games where the DM won't allow the slightest deviation from his predetermined script

This is why I prefer playing and running published campaign settings, or the generic D&D setting (which was formerly Greyhawk)

Hmmm...I think I'll ressurect Spelljammer for 4E :D
Wow I always feel completely opposite! In games where I have DMed homebrew settings or played in homebrew settings there are often very few powerful NPC's or if there are they are the opponents. In pre-made campaign settings I feel as if there is no room for creativity on the DM's part. Cities are made, towns are made, countries are done and social norms are already set up.

I also feel there is no room for the players to become the powerful leaders of an area because there are already statted out big powerful NPC's that may not even be evil enough to bother to replace. I know I know you can change what you want about it but it still feels off.

In the end our experiences are the complete opposite of one another! I like to plan out an area for the player's to use and then design a basic storyline. For example, I'm currently debating over running two games in two different areas. One would be a group of nobles investigating an ancient city but since its a city there's numerous ways to do it. The point is to get the PC's involved in the political aspect of their role as nobles while doing the adventuring and see whether they try to gain control of anything in the game world.

The other will be based off of several factions within a city fighting for control of valuable food resources and iron mines. And that's all I'm building. The PC's will all be of the same faction (based on player vote) and from there...well. We'll see if they wipe out the rest of the factions, ally with them or simply walk away.
I like to throw divergent plot threads into adventures, have at least a few things going on that the PC's could take part in if they choose to. I've found that if you give them an obvious array of choices, then they're less likely to go off on some wild hair brained tangent and make me have to improvise...which I hate having to do in 3.5

But if I were to design my own campaign world, I would probably follow the same philosophy. Keep the structure open and leave a few dangling plot threads for them to grasp onto. Keep the plots simple at the beginning and avoid "save the world" style epic stories until the PCs become invested enough in a certain plot to develop it. Also, as a rule I never take campaigns too seriously...I try to throw a little Joss Whedon-esque humor in so that Players don't start thinking they're in a Tolkien novel.
Sounds good. I always find it difficult to run a completely humor-less tabletop game. My friends and I make far too many jokes. The PbP games are generally more useful. One of the things I generally don't worry too much about are PC's running off on harebrained ideas. Not really sure why this is. It could simply be a part of who my players are and what types of characters they make. Many of them often set several personal objectives. (for example, one player's cleric wanted to set up a new temple to his god on the plane of fire so he played to work towards that goal...too bad he died though)
I'm going to do a '300 years later'-setting that puts the PCs of my last campaign in the position of revered heroes and empire-founders of today's world.

Since the party didn't feature a druid, barbarian or bard, I'm making something up about them largely having been driven away. The old sorceress has done some studies basically transforming the sorcerer class into the warlock.

One of the revered ones was a tiefling which lends itself nicely to the integration of that race into society. I have yet to decide how the dragonborn are going to make their appearance if at all but it shouldn't be too hard to do.

The focus of the campaign was the rebirth of an old deity who had been driven into obscurance by the other deities. The PC's success makes Talana goddess of love the state's religion for the kingdom where the story takes place. I'll see if there's a god or two missing from 3E which wouldn't bother me except if it was Ehlonna. I'm probably going to kill off one or two of the evil deitys and perhaps Heironeous.

Of course there's been the inevitable period of decline in those 300 years lest it wouldn't be PoL so the once mighty empire will have shrunk down to a handfull of strong city-sites and there'll be lots of old awe-inspiring ruins to discover in the new wilderness.
I create the world and have several adventure ideas at any given time - in case the players don't want to go to the next obvious area. I like to give them options - and eventually they go the way I would like. Of course some of the best adventures I've run have been when they go completely off tangent - or think "this is way to easy - this couldn't be right" and go off past left field, through the parking lot, and off into the suburbs.
Sign In to post comments