Open discussion: BUILD A CITY 4.0!!!

670 posts / 0 new
Last post
A tribe of elves lived in the woods not too distant from the old city. In the same woods was a vile, selfish, though rather cunning green dragon.

Marlola, one of the tribal elves, was out in a small hunting party, that was suddenly attacked, unprovoked, by our green dragon. Now elves are a favorite treat of this dragon, but the beautiful Marlola stirs another hunger in the villain.

Rather than killing and eating Marlola, he takes her back to his lair and... has his way with her. This went on until the green dragon grew tired of his captive, and formulated a plot to get a free lunch.

Suddenly Marlola, who has been dominated for much of her stay, finds herself free and rushes back to her tribe, unaware that this is part of the green dragon's plot. Her cries rally the elves into a frenzy, so much so that they forget themselves and walk into the waiting ambush of the green dragon.

Marlola is among those that survive the death trap, though her kin turn on her as well, blaming her for the loss of their tribe. Marlola is marked and forced to leave, while the dragon dines at his pleasure on the flesh of her kin, both unaware of their bond growing within her.

Yup... that's almost it

The only thing I would change is the last paragraph. If we leave it where the warparty is decimated and she escapes into the forest, the fate of the elf tribe can be undecided and left up to the DM to decide (more options). Marlola blames herself for the whole affair and runs off into the forest. DM option on how the tribe reacts if she ever returns.

So, something like this:
A tribe of elves lived in the woods not too distant from the old city. In the same woods was a vile, selfish, though rather cunning green dragon.

Marlola, one of the tribal elves, was out in a small hunting party, that was suddenly attacked, unprovoked, by our green dragon. Now elves are a favorite treat of this dragon, but the beautiful Marlola stirs another hunger in the villain.

Rather than killing and eating Marlola, he takes her back to his lair and... has his way with her. This went on until the green dragon grew tired of his captive, and formulated a plot to get a free lunch.

Suddenly Marlola, who has been dominated for much of her stay, finds herself free and rushes back to her tribe, unaware that this is part of the green dragon's plot. Her cries rally the elves into a frenzy, so much so that they forget caution and deliver themselves into the waiting ambush of the green dragon.

Marlola escaped the carnage wrought upon the war party. Blaming herself for the terrible loss she brought upon her tribe, she fled into the forest while the dragon dined at his pleasure on the flesh of her kin, both unaware of their bond growing within her.

During their exodus, the refugees of the warped gold dragon came to the aid of Marlola who was lost in the wilderness. The refugees took her in, almost with out question, for the she was near staving.

Marlola, to this day, remains quiet and distant, her unspoken past haunting her ever step. She spends her time split between her small vegetable garden, the excess of which she passes along to the others, and caring for her half-dragon son.
Yup... that's almost it

The only thing I would change is the last paragraph. If we leave it where the warparty is decimated and she escapes into the forest, the fate of the elf tribe can be undecided and left up to the DM to decide (more options). Marlola blames herself for the whole affair and runs off into the forest. DM option on how the tribe reacts if she ever returns.

So, something like this

Suddenly Marlola, who has been dominated for much of her stay, finds herself free and rushes back to her tribe, unaware that this is part of the green dragon's plot. Her cries rally the elves into a frenzy, so much so that they forget caution and deliver themselves into the waiting ambush of the green dragon.

Marlola escaped the carnage wrought upon the war party. Blaming herself for the terrible loss she brought upon her tribe, she fled into the forest while the dragon dined at his pleasure on the flesh of her kin, both unaware of their bond growing within her.

During their exodus, the refugees of the warped gold dragon came to the aid of Marlola who was lost in the wilderness. The refugees took her in, almost with out question, for the she was near staving.

Marlola, to this day, remains quiet and distant, her unspoken past haunting her ever step. She spends her time split between her small vegetable garden, the excess of which she passes along to the others, and caring for her half-dragon son.

I can live with that. So the vote stands:

Dracollich's Marlola Story:
Support (2): PerennialRook, Johnny_Angel

Kage_no_Neko's Marlola Story:
Support (0):

One more vote to carry, and put this to rest.
I'm getting a little tired of [Old City]. It is time for change!

Now that we almost have all of our refugees flushed out, I think that we should get on to naming the old city. From what I recollect, the city is coastal, as it houses a lighthouse. I have been imagining the city as a large city (by 3.5 standards), making our exodus, no more than a drop in the bucket of history for the city.

My suggestion for a name is Lodestar (which is something that serves as a guide or on which the attention is fixed).

The only other suggestion I remember is Beacon, and to be honest, searching 12 pages for suggestions is a little more than I am up for. I encourage everyone to post their ideas for names of the old city.

~Pk
Question: Who long of a history are we looking to flesh out?
My suggestion for a name is Lodestar (which is something that serves as a guide or on which the attention is fixed).

I could go along with this, though the name lodestar invokes more of a "compass" feel in me than a lighthouse.
Regarding the city name, I like Beacon, or something containing Beacon (like Beaconlight, Beaconport, or Beacon's Harbor).
I like Brillstad as the name of the old city.

How did I get Brillstad?

Stad is the word for "city" in Swedish.

Brilliante is the word for "bright" in Spanish.

I cut Brilliante short and added Stad for Brillstad. The end part is pronounced similar to the word "dad."
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
 The Best in Gaming!
Question: Who long of a history are we looking to flesh out?

I'm not sure what you're asking...
Show
I'm getting a little tired of [Old City]. It is time for change!

Now that we almost have all of our refugees flushed out, I think that we should get on to naming the old city. From what I recollect, the city is coastal, as it houses a lighthouse. I have been imagining the city as a large city (by 3.5 standards), making our exodus, no more than a drop in the bucket of history for the city.

The only other suggestion I remember is Beacon, and to be honest, searching 12 pages for suggestions is a little more than I am up for. I encourage everyone to post their ideas for names of the old city.

~Pk

I also remember you mentioning the name Thorast Kax after the man who defied and imprisoned the gold. I rather liked the name and think it would be a good (but inferior :P ) alternative for Beacon (which could be a modern name.) However, as Beacon is my suggestion, I'll be abstaining from any voting that may take place on this subject.

------------------------------------------------------------

Also, while I don't have a fundamtental change to my official position regarding Marlola and the dragon, I do feel that there needs to be some clarification.

It was never my belief that the green dragon should be portrayed as conniving or brutish; those are traits of other colors, and do not seem to fit what I remember a green to be. However, lazy a green dragon might be, above all else, a green dragon is manipulative.

The lands that this green claims just so happen to include a village populated by elves. From them, the dragon collectes tribute, as payment for his protection from the dangers indigenous to the forest (such as gnolls who are also subjected by him.) They pose no threat to him, and so the dragon is merely content to let them go about their business with the occasional visit.

On one such visit, he became enamored with the intelligent but headstrong Marlola. He was captivated by her beauty, and demanded her as tribute. Under protest (mostly from Marlola), the village agreed to the arrangement, and Marlola became his concubine. Marlola had made many attempts to escape, but under the watchful care of the dragon (and possibly gnolls) such escapes never succeeded and were often punished.

In the days and weeks of her captivity, she became pregnant, and the escapes were less and less frequent as a result. She took to resting often, typically in the cavern where she was kept; it was a terrible thing to bear a half-dragon, and the pregnancy took its toll. The cruel dragon was also aware of the pregnancy, and it brought Marlola no comfort.

Within months, the child was born in the dragon’s lair, and Marlola cared for him as best as she could. As the child grew, the dragon became even more abusive, occasionally beating Marlola to unconsciousness. But she stood firm every time.

At some point, the dragon had left for whatever reason (I actually like the connection Kage made with the gold), and never returned (perhaps the gold killed him.) This was Marlola’s chance; a cave was no place to raise a child, and she had enough of her stay. She left the cave, determined to find her way back home.

But she was no woodsman. She wandered aimlessly through the forest, desparate and hungry. Despite the dangers, she stumbled on, until finally she collapsed. She awoke to Ariana, scouting ahead for the refugees, who nursed her back to health, and was offered a place amongst the refugees.

I do not believe, though, that I can adequately decide whose description is better. Both were compelling reads and followed my lead pretty well, but there were aspects of each story that I disagree with.

For Perennial, it makes no sense to me to involve Marlola in some dragon’s elaborate scheme, especially one that does no more than provide him with food; that sort of limited scheming seems antithetical to the flavor that the dragons will be presented with

For Kage, the dragon is portrayed as little more that a loutish brute; there’s no depth to the dragon and I feel that given the new direction 4th Edition is taking them, depth of character is what is going to distinguish one dragon from another.

Unless some sort of collaboration takes place between the two presentments, I don’t feel that our background will be satisfactory. For now, I abstain.

------------------------------------------------------------

It should also be noted (after consideration) that we cannot best serve the community by deciding anything based on three consecutive votes. For one thing, a proposal can be decided upon in a matter of minutes with that method, and gives no room for argument. More importantly though, many members are unable to visit the boards very frequently; at the rate at which “consecutive votes” can occur, we may overlook an alternative that we would have to dismiss as already decided. I think having a time frame for voting would be a more appropriate method of deciding proposals, as that would allow more members a chance to voice the opinions and give us the opportunity for increased collaboration. For most issues (including the current one: Marlola) one week voting should be satisfactory
Okay.

As many times as we have tried to lay this to rest, Marlola's background keeps throwing curve balls, and no one is leaving satisfied. We need to find what we agree about, the basics, and work from there.

The best idea I can come up with is to vote on the basic principles, and have an array of contributers write up a background from there to vote on. We seem to agree on some basic points, i.e. Marlola is an elf carrying the child of a green dragon who can take the guise of an elf. It is the more fine points that seem to elude us.

So here are the points to vote on, and anyone can vote (including Kage and myself):

1) Marlola is...
a...a lifetime slave.
b...a typical elf.
c...free and wild.
d...atypical.
e...incompetent.
f...accomplished.

2) The dragon (is)...
a...brutish.
b...cunning.
c...greedy.
d...selfish.
e...plotting.
f...calculating.
g...lazy.
h...cruel.
i...capricious.
j...secretive.
k...lording.
l...overt.

m...has long reaching plans.
n...plans things well into the future.
o...may have a few ideasand short term goals
p...is subject to it's whims.
q...acts without consideration.

r..."lawful"
s..."neutral"
t..."chaotic"

u...a monster.
v...a villain.

w...knocked up Marlola on accident.
x...planned for the child.
y...has plans for the child.
z...doesn't know about the child.

3) Marlola's elves...
a...are a tribe, living in tents (wild).
b...have a small city (civilized).

c...are demoralized subjects of the green dragon.
d...pay tribute to the green dragon.
e...have as little contact as possible with the green dragon.
f...didn't know about the dragon.

g...were all killed.
h...are decimated, but still around.
i...may or may not be all dead.

4) The half-dragon child...
a...is yet unborn.
b...is an infant.
c...doesn't exist.

d...appears fully half-dragon.
e...shows a few traits of its heritage.
f...could easily pass as an elf (at infancy).

So a typical vote (mine) would look like this:
1) b, c and f.
2) b, d, e, f, h, j, n, r, v and x.
3) a, e and h.
4) a and f.

VOTES:
PerennialRook

1) b, c and f.
3) a, e and h.
4) a and f.
Johnny_Angel

1) b.
2) b, f, g, k, o, p, r, v, w and z.
3) a, f, g and i.
4) a and e.
Dracollich

1) b.
2) b, e, g, h, j, m, o, w and z.
3) a, f and i.
4) b and f.
Khopesh122

1) a and d.
2) d, h, j, (o or p), t, (u or v), w and z
3) a, d, e and h.
4) b and f
Running Tally

1) a (1), b (3), c (1), d (1) and f (1).
2) b (3), d (2), e (2), f (2), g (2), h (3), j (3), k (1), m (1), n (1), o (2[3]), p (1[2]), r (2), t (1), u (0[1]), v (2[3]), w (3), x (1) and z (3)
3) a (4), d (1), e (2), f (2), g (1), h (2) and i (2).
4) a (2), b (2), e (1) and f (3).
Bold denotes probable outcome.

If I missed anything, feel free to contribute more to the quiz and I will add it to this list. Be sure to link back to the test, for reference purposes.
I also remember you mentioning the name Thorast Kax after the man who defied and imprisoned the gold. I rather liked the name and think it would be a good (but inferior :P ) alternative for Beacon (which could be a modern name.) However, as Beacon is my suggestion, I'll be abstaining from any voting that may take place on this subject.

I forgot about THORAST KAX, I change my proposal back! I wanted to like Beacon, but it never grew on me. Sorry.
Edit: As I like Lodestar, I am going to suggest it as the name of the lighthouse.

It should also be noted (after consideration) that we cannot best serve the community by deciding anything based on three consecutive votes. For one thing, a proposal can be decided upon in a matter of minutes with that method, and gives no room for argument. More importantly though, many members are unable to visit the boards very frequently; at the rate at which “consecutive votes” can occur, we may overlook an alternative that we would have to dismiss as already decided. I think having a time frame for voting would be a more appropriate method of deciding proposals, as that would allow more members a chance to voice the opinions and give us the opportunity for increased collaboration. For most issues (including the current one: Marlola) one week voting should be satisfactory

Wow, so all I have to do is call for a vote and I can stop the thread in its tracks for a week?!? Cool!

Really, three (non consecutive) votes has always worked before. It is a representative sampling of the thread. In this specific instance, Marlola hasn't been decided in the last several days, and anything this controversial will take enough time for most everyone with an opinion to contribute.

If a week long majority vote was needed, either the OP (Dougan_Axehammer) could call for one, or someone could propose the need for a week long majority vote and be carried by three votes in support. Three votes works, period.
1) B

2) B,F,G,K and O,P and R and V and W,Z

3) A, F, G, I

4) A, E
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
 The Best in Gaming!
PR good idea about deciding on which traits we're looking to include in Marlola's story.

If my vote were to count, this is what I would vote:
1.) B (I would also say D... but that then makes her an atypical, typical elf :D )

2.)B, E, G, H, J, M, O, V, W and Z

3.)A, F, I

4.)B, F

Axehammer... the thing that is not sitting right with me is a green dragon allowing elves to go about their business. They're his favorite dish.. IMO its like a butcher saying "eh... I don't need to kill any cows this week cause they're not bothering me"

As for the name of the city from which the refugees hail from, I vote for Thorast Kax. I like the name Beacon for the city the refugees start if there is yet a name for it.
This will only work if people take the survey.
Marlola Survey

So here are the points to vote on, and anyone can vote (including Kage and myself):

1) Marlola is...
a...a lifetime slave.
b...a typical elf.
c...free and wild.
d...atypical.
e...incompetent.
f...accomplished.

2) The dragon (is)...
a...brutish.
b...cunning.
c...greedy.
d...selfish.
e...plotting.
f...calculating.
g...lazy.
h...cruel.
i...capricious.
j...secretive.
k...lording.
l...overt.

r..."lawful"
s..."neutral"
t..."chaotic"

u...a monster.
v...a villain.

3) Marlola's elves...

g...were all killed.

a...is yet unborn.
b...is an infant.
c...doesn't exist.

My vote for Marlola
1)a+d
2)d+h+j, (o or p), t, (u or v), w+z
3)a (forest-based nomads sound good to me), d+e, h
4)b, f
Here are the points to vote on, and anyone can vote (including Kage and myself):
Survey

1) Marlola is...
a...a lifetime slave.
b...a typical elf.
c...free and wild.
d...atypical.
e...incompetent.
f...accomplished.

2) The dragon (is)...
a...brutish.
b...cunning.
c...greedy.
d...selfish.
e...plotting.
f...calculating.
g...lazy.
h...cruel.
i...capricious.
j...secretive.
k...lording.
l...overt.

r..."lawful"
s..."neutral"
t..."chaotic"

u...a monster.
v...a villain.

3) Marlola's elves...

g...were all killed.

a...is yet unborn.
b...is an infant.
c...doesn't exist.

So a typical vote (mine) would look like this:
1) b, c and f.
3) a, e and h.
4) a and f.

VOTES:
PerennialRook

1) b, c and f.
3) a, e and h.
4) a and f.
Johnny_Angel

1) b.
3) a, f, g and i.
4) a and e.
Dracollich

1) b.
3) a, f and i.
4) b and f.
Khopesh122

1) a and d.
3) a, d, e and h.
4) b and f
Running Tally

1) a (1), b (3), c (1), d (1) and f (1).
2) b (3), d (2), e (2), f (2), g (2), h (3), j (3), k (1), m (1), n (1), o (2[3]), p (1[2]), r (2), t (1), u (0[1]), v (2[3]), w (3), x (1) and z (3)
3) a (4), d (1), e (2), f (2), g (1), h (2) and i (2).
4) a (2), b (2), e (1) and f (3).
Bold denotes probable outcome.

If I missed anything, feel free to contribute more to the quiz and I will add it to this list. Be sure to link back to the test, for reference purposes.
C'mon, a few more votes for G (lazy dragon.)
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!
C'mon, a few more votes for G (lazy dragon.)

We need at least Kage and Dougan's votes before we see can get a real reading. 4 votes on any one item should clinch it, 3 votes is still a little shaky.
I'm not quite sure how this is going to help the process, but it seems to be a step in the right direction, so I'll add my vote.

Survey

1) Marlola is...
a...a lifetime slave.
b...a typical elf.
c...free and wild.
d...atypical.
e...incompetent.
f...accomplished.

2) The dragon (is)...
a...brutish.
b...cunning.
c...greedy.
d...selfish.
e...plotting.
f...calculating.
g...lazy.
h...cruel.
i...capricious.
j...secretive.
k...lording.
l...overt.

r..."lawful"
s..."neutral"
t..."chaotic"

u...a monster.
v...a villain.

3) Marlola's elves...

g...were all killed.

a...is yet unborn.
b...is an infant.
c...doesn't exist.

1: Marlola is (b) a typical elf with a (c) wild and free spirit, who (if I may say so) is also [i](g)[/i] a little bit stubborn.

2: The dragon, [Smaragzold], is a (b) cunning, (h) cruel, (r) "lawful" (v) villain who (e) plots and (n) schemes for thing well into the future. But his plans were set back a little when he (w) inadvertently conceived a child with Marlola. (I imagine him to be alot like "Ben" from ABC's Lost television series.)

3: Marlola's home was a (b) small, elven city quietly sitting in the woods relatively unnoticed. Though the dragon had no plans for the city, the people are (c) demoralized subjects who (d) regularly paid tribute to him on threat of death. It is unknown what happened to the city during Marlola's absence, but (i) her kin may still be alive.

4: Marlola's half-dragon (b) infant son has (e) a few subtle traits of his heritage, but without closer inspection could (f) easily pass for an elf for the time being.

We should also probably include our ideas on the manner in which Marlola had left the service of the dragon. Escape seems to be the method we all share, but there are other ways in which she might have left: discarded by the dragon and left for death in the wilderness, returned to her village (as useless) and ostracized by her peers, amicable serparation (could happen), etc. Other aspects could include when she left, and the manner in which she encountered the group (passed out, crossed paths, etc.) As for myself I think that she escaped with the child during some confusion (again the connection with the gold is interesting), and got lost in the woods sometime later.

P.S. Perhaps we should also give the voting an extra day to allow some of our readers to contribute as well. (One week would tie up alot of time.)
I'm not quite sure how this is going to help the process, but it seems to be a step in the right direction, so I'll add my vote.

The idea, is that instead of one large vote of all the proposals, each item is taken individually on it's own merit. The resulting data (collected... Thursday night?) can then be used to write a backstory that in amicable to all.

NEW ITEMS ARE IN BOLD ITALICS!

1) Marlola is...
a...a lifetime slave.
b...a typical elf.
c...free and wild.
d...atypical.
e...incompetent.
f...accomplished.
g...somewhat stubborn.

2) The dragon (is)...
a...brutish.
b...cunning.
c...greedy.
d...selfish.
e...plotting.
f...calculating.
g...lazy.
h...cruel.
i...capricious.
j...secretive.
k...lording.
l...overt.

r..."lawful"
s..."neutral"
t..."chaotic"

u...a monster.
v...a villain.

3) Marlola's elves...

g...were all killed.

a...is yet unborn.
b...is an infant.
c...doesn't exist.

5) Marlola (cont.)...
a...escaped from the dragon!
b...was let go/discarded by the dragon.
c...left on good terms with the dragon.

d...rallied her family to revenge.
e...was ostracized by her family for her insubordination.
f...just wandered back to her family.

g...lead the fight against the dragon!
h...barely escaped the dragons attack.
i...fought to the last elf, only to be (marked, ostracized, etc...).
j...left before anything else happened.

k...wandered, helpless in the woods.
l...survived by skill, even though burdened with (a) child.

m...found the refugees.
n...was found by the refugees.
o...was found unconscious/half-dead by the refugees.

VOTES:
Running Tally (out of 5)

1) a (1), b (4), c (2), d (1), f (1) and g (1).
2) b (4), d (2), e (3), f (2), g (2), h (4), j (3), k (1), m (1), n (2), o (2[3]), p (1[2]), r (3), t (1), u (0[1]), v (3[4]), w (4), x (1) and z (3).
3) a (4), c (1), d (2), e (2), f (2), g (1), h (2) and i (3).
4) a (2), b (4), e (1) and f (5).
5) b (1), d (1), i (1), l (1), n ([1]) and o ([1]).
Bold denotes a probable outcome.
PerennialRook

1) b, c and f.
3) a, e and h.
4) a and f.
5) b, d, i, l and (n or o).
Johnny_Angel

1) b.
3) a, f, g and i.
4) a and e.
5) no votes.
Dracollich

1) b.
3) a, f and i.
4) b and f.
5) no votes.
Khopesh122

1) a and d.
3) a, d, e and h.
4) b and f
5) no votes.
Dougan Axehammer

1) b, c and g.
2) b, e, h, n, r, v and w.
3) b, c, d and i.
4) b and f.
5) no votes.

(I imagine him to be alot like "Ben" from ABC's Lost television series.)

This reference is completely lost on me :D. Seriously.
Marlola's half-dragon (b) infant son has (e) a few subtle traits of his heritage, but without closer inspection could (f) easily pass for an elf for the time being.

Because these terms are meant to be exclusive, I have put you down for: "passes for elf" at infancy.
The idea, is that instead of one large vote of all the proposals, each item is taken individually on it's own merit. The resulting data (collected... Thursday night?) can then be used to write a backstory that in amicable to all.

Okay I see now. Excellent idea. It does serve to enhance some clarity of thought (which is really convenient for when you're really tired.) Thursday night would be a good time to end this part of the process.

Survey

5) Marlola (cont.)...

m...found the refugees.

Since this was added after my first vote:

5: At some point during her internment, some confusion (the emerging gold perhaps?) with [Smaragzold] gave Marlola (a) the opportunity to escape. She wandered back to her village, only to find herself (e) shunned and ostracized by her peers, both for having a child and for potentially bringing the full wrath of the dragon to bear. (j)Before anything else could happen, she was banned from the village, and (k) wandered helplessly through the woods before (o) being found by the refugees near to death.

This reference is completely lost on me :D. Seriously.

Benjamin Linus, currently the leader of the "others" on Lost. He is a devious, manipulative person who plots and schemes to get what he desires. He uses short term plans to acheive long term goals. It is this "type" of personality that I think should be portrayed for our green.

For reference watch full episodes at ABC's Full Episode Player. For a good impression, watch Season Three from "A Tale of Two Cities" (Episode 1) to "Not in Portland" (Episode 6). You can skip "Further Instructions" (Episode 3) as it has nothing to do with Ben.
1) B

2) B,F,G,K and O,P and R and V and W,Z

3) A, F, G, I

4) A, E

Marlola is a typical elf (B)who had the misfortune of being captured by the gnoll minions of a green dragon named Smaragzold. The gnoll minions offered Marlola to the dragon, and the dragon saw this as an opportunity to solve many problems he had been having as of late. The first problem being that he had been bored, but now he had a new play thing. The second problem was that one of his vices was an appetite for the flesh of elves. The flesh of elves was a delicacy for Smarzagold, and he enjoyed it much like a child would enjoy cotton candy at the fair. He knew there were some elves in the area because a few of his gnoll minions had reported having encounters with bands of elves. Marlola solved all of these problems. She was the dragon's entertainment, and she was also the dragon's way to find the other elves. The wheels in his cunning mind began to turn.

Smaragzold, the green dragon, is cunning and calculating, but he is also somewhat lazy and prefers to have many of his needs met by lording over a group of Gnolls. Although he is very intelligent, many of his goals are relatively short term in scope, and while he does have a sort of law which he believes in and imposes upon his subjects (the gnolls mainly) his ideas and goals are subject to his personal whims and desires. Although he is indeed evil, his mind makes him more villain than monster. During the time that he had captured Marlola, he has used her as a play thing. She was beaten much like a cat would toy with a mouse, and eventually Smaragzold decided to enjoy a few of the "finer pleasures in life" with Marlola which lead to Marlola becoming pregnant. This pregnancy was an accident, and -more than likely- knowledge of the child will be something which Smaragzold will not have unless he sees the child at some future point in time. (B,F,G,K and O,P and R and V and W,Z)

The tribe of elves which Marlola came from were wild and lived in tents. They did not originally know about the dragon, but they had encountered gnolls a few times. Eventually they found about the dragon when he attacked, but they were then all killed. To Marlola's knowledge her whole tribe was killed, but they may or may not be all dead; she is not entirely sure. (A, F, G, I)

At the time that the refugees from the old city find Marlola, the half-dragon child is unborn [Marlola only recently became pregnant (within the past month or two)]. At the time of birth the child will show some signs of his heritage. (A, E)

Marlola was relieved when the dragon finally told her that she was free to go. Smaragzold told her that he tired of her, and toying with her no longer amused him as it once had. Seemingly she was being let go, discarded as though she were an old toy. The truth, however, was that the dragon and a select few of his most stealth skilled gnolls trailed Marlola as she wandered back to her family. One of the elven lookout points spotted the gnolls and sounded the alarm, but they were not prepared for what was about to happen next. Not only were the gnolls harsh opponents; the elves were overmatched as one of the gnolls turned into a green dragon. Arrows hailed toward the dragon, but the group of gnolls provided enough of a threat that Smaragzold was free to take flight and rain terror and destruction down upon the elves who were not prepared for such an attack. The already beaten and bruised Marlola fled for her life during the conflict, and she barely escaped the same fate as the rest of her tribe. Weariness overtook Marlola and she fell unconcious; shortly afterward the group of refugees from Old City came across her fallen body. Many in the group wanted to leave her there feeling that adding another mouth to feed and another body to protect would strain their ability to survive during their long exodus from the Old City. Luckily for Marlola many more felt that to leave a helpless person to die was wrong; as a result they loaded her onto a wagon and continued upon their journey to find a new home. (B, F, H, O,)

BTW, don't feel bad about not getting the Lost reference, PR. I don't watch the show either (not much tv in general.) My idea for the personality of the green was like a devious version of the Cheshire Cat from Alice In Wonderland crossed with a big lazy Crocodile.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!
Wow, go away on buisness for a couple of days and the whole vote changes. I approve :D

-----------------

Now for the survey:

Marlola Back Story Survey

1) Marlola is...
a...a lifetime slave.
b...a typical elf.
c...free and wild.
d...atypical.
e...incompetent.
f...accomplished.
g...somewhat stubborn.

2) The dragon (is)...
a...brutish.
b...cunning.
c...greedy.
d...selfish.
e...plotting.
f...calculating.
g...lazy.
h...cruel.
i...capricious.
j...secretive.
k...lording.
l...overt.

r..."lawful"
s..."neutral"
t..."chaotic"

u...a monster.
v...a villain.

3) Marlola's elves...

g...were all killed.

a...is yet unborn.
b...is an infant.
c...doesn't exist.

5) Marlola (cont.)...

m...found the refugees.

Okay, here is my take:

Marlola was a beautiful but typical (1b) elf. She was demanded as tribute (3d) by the green dragon Smaragdzold which had demoralized (3c) and subjugated her tribe in the long past. For a long time Smaragdzold amused himself using Marlola as maidservant and whipping child, lording (2k) his power over her and breaking her will into an obedient slave (1a). It was only after returning from one of many machinations (2e) while he was distracted thinking on his ongoing plots that he was caught unaware and Marlola found that he could assume elven form (secretive 2j).

Seeing the increase in fear in her eyes, the dragon began to force Marlola to service him in his elven form (villian 2v), something he had not considered worth the time in the past. Over time the continued abuse eventually caused Marlola to become pregnant (accidental pregnancy 2v). Shortly after Marlola realized she was pregnant, Smaragdzold became aware of the gold dragon's release. Fearing for the complications in his long term plans (2m and 2n), Smaragdzold left to scout out the situation. Long since having the resistance beaten out of her, and therefore left relatively unfettered, Marlola had rediscovered a sense of purpose in the growing life of her unborn child and so used the rare opportunity provided by this unexpected distraction to flee (5a).

Marlola was able to eventually make her way back to the home she rembered from childhood (wandered home 5f?) surprising the elves that had long since considered her lost. Upon explaining why she fled, many of the younger elves disatisfied with the plight of the tribe became angered and called for the tribe to strike back at the dragon (rallied the tribe 5d ?, unintentional). After spending several days scouting out the situation with the gold dragon and working on contingency plans (cunning 2b) suddenly become necessary, Smaragdzold returned home to find his property missing and upon tracking her down found her surrounded by elves gathering arms and calling for an attack upon him. Enraged by the affront of his subjects and needing to deal with more important threats, the green dragon decided to destroy this minor issue before letting it get in the way of his other tasks (2r).

When the dragon struck, Marlola rendered near insensate in fear fled (barely escaped 5h). Regaining her senses several days later, she was unable to overcome her grief at bringing the menace upon her village to return (fate of tribe unknown 3i). Trapped by grief and with minimal woodskills, Marlola slowly made her way through the woods (5k ?) before eventually being found by Ariana (5n) as she was leading the refugees away from [old city] after the arrival if the gnoll hordes.
5) Marlola (cont.)...
a, e, j, k, m

This is an interesting exersize in collaborative character creation. After the dust has settled on Marlola, we'll see how the collective will of the thread can create this character's backstory.

If all goes well, I propose we follow the same process for the only central character not yet fleshed out: Moses, our tiefling priestess.
I will reiterate that this exercise is to determine what the whole community sees in Marlola, not to post further stories. I'm not saying you can't, just that it would be better to wait until we have all of the data, and then write your story around the data collected. Whichever ideas receive the most votes will be cannon.

With that said, here is how the voting stands:
Marlola Quiz

1) Marlola is...
a...a lifetime slave.
b...a typical elf.
c...free and wild.
d...atypical.
e...incompetent.
f...accomplished.
g...somewhat stubborn.

2) The dragon (is)...
a...brutish.
b...cunning.
c...greedy.
d...selfish.
e...plotting.
f...calculating.
g...lazy.
h...cruel.
i...capricious.
j...secretive.
k...lording.
l...overt.

r..."lawful"
s..."neutral"
t..."chaotic"

u...a monster.
v...a villain.

3) Marlola's elves...

g...were all killed.

a...is yet unborn.
b...is an infant.
c...doesn't exist.

5) Marlola (cont.)...

m...found the refugees.

~VOTES~

Running Tally (out of 6):
1) a (2), b (5), c (2), d (1), f (1) and g (1).
2) b (5), d (2), e (4), f (2), g (2), h (4), j (4), k (2), m (2), n (3), o (2[3]), p (1[2]), r (4), t (1), u (0[1]), v (4[5]), w (4), x (1) and z (3).
3) a (4), c (2), d (3), e (2), f (2), g (1), h (2) and i (4).
4) a (2), b (4), e (1) and f (5).
5) a (3), b (2), d (2), e (2), f (2), h (2), i (1), j (2), k (3), l (1), m (1), n (1[2]) and o (2[3]).
Bold denotes a probable outcome.
PerennialRook

1) b, c and f.
3) a, e and h.
4) a and f.
5) b, d, i, l and (n or o).
Johnny_Angel

1) b.
3) a, f, g and i.
4) a and e.
5) b, f, h and o.
Dracollich

1) b.
3) a, f and i.
4) b and f.
5) no votes.
Khopesh122

1) a and d.
3) a, d, e and h.
4) b and f
5) a, e, j, k and m.
Dougan Axehammer

1) b, c and g.
2) b, e, h, n, r, v and w.
3) b, c, d and i.
4) b and f.
5) a, e, j, k and o.
Kage_no_Neko

1) a and b.
2) b, e, j, k, m, n, r and v.
3) c, d and i.
4) no votes.
5) a, d, f, h, k and n.

[i]Voting ends tonight[/i] when the forum closes for maintenance.
This is an interesting exersize in collaborative character creation. After the dust has settled on Marlola, we'll see how the collective will of the thread can create this character's backstory.

If all goes well, I propose we follow the same process for the only central character not yet fleshed out: Moses, our tiefling priestess.

Agreed. Until we finish with Marlola, however, I'm reluctant to second this proposal. There's no telling how this method will work out. But, if it does goes well I think we should also do the same thing for all future characters as well (or at least the ones that there are disputes over.)
VOTING IS NOW OVER.

This is where we stand:

Marlola is a typical elf who escaped from the dragon, just to wander helpless in the woods until she was found, unconscious and half dead, by the refugees from [Old City], with her infant half-dragon child, which easily passes for an elf..

The dragon she escaped from can be described as a "lawful," cunning, plotting, cruel, secretive villain. It plans things well into the future, though knocked up Marlola on accident and doesn't know about the child.

Marlola's elves are a tribe, living in tents who occasionally paid tribute to the green dragon. It is not known what happened to her tribe as a result of her escape, they may or may not be all dead.

Which means, the following is (not) true of Marlola's backstory:

Marlola was not a lifetime slave nor particularly wild and free. She was not atypical for an elf, particularly incompetent nor overly accomplished, and would not be described as stubborn.

The green dragon would not be described as brutish, greedy, selfish, calculating, lazy, capricious, lording, or overt. It does not have extremely long reaching plans, but his plans are not limited to just ideas and short term goals, almost never is subject to it's whims or acting without consideration. He did not plan for the child, nor does he have any plans for it (since he doesn't know about it). The dragon is not a chaotic monster, nor would he be considered neutral.

The elves of Marlola's tribe do not have a small city, nor are they demoralized subjects of the green dragon. They knew about the dragon, though no steps were taken to have as little contact as possible with the green dragon. Actions taken in retribution are completely unknown.

The half-dragon child of Marlola and the green dragon has already been born, and thus it does really exist. It shows little to no sign of it's half-dragon heritage, not even what would be considered half-dragon traits.

Marlola was not actively let go/discarded by the dragon nor did she leave on good terms with it. She has had no contact with her family since being captured by the dragon. After escaping it was not skill that she survived. She didn't even find the refugees, who instead found her.

Feel free to post stories based on the collected information to be voted upon. There is a little wiggle room, just make sure to stick to what has been voted on/for.
*cracks fingers* Ok folks, lets see what I come up with.....

Marlola's Tale
The day a green dragon passed over Marlola's village signaled the arrival of a new tenant in her clan's forest. At first the elves feared aggression from this new danger, but as weeks turned into months with no attack, life returned to normal, the dragon forgotten.

The appearance of a hyena-faced humanoid two seasons later on the outskirts of the village was indication the green had not forgotten about them. Although the dragon's messenger was crude and demonic in the eyes of the elves, it approached them with no aggression and informed them of the dragon's demands. A few live stock and a trinket or two and the dragon would leave them in peace. And that's how things went for years, some livestock and goods for what felt like peace of mind.

One day, Marlola, while searching for roots, had an unlucky step into a sink hole. She tumbled down into a series of caves beneath the forest floor. Unable to climb back out, she traveled through the caverns to a cave entrance miles from her village. That is when Marlola had the misfortune of being the first of her tribe to meet the dragon in person.

When her gaze meet the unblinking stare of the green dragon, she froze. It slowly finished its meal of fresh venison, its stare piercing into her mind. For Marlola, her world descended into a haunted nightmare, completely consumed by the dragon's will power.

Her captivity by the cruel dragon was lived in a nightmare fog until the fateful day a gnoll messenger arrived. "The gold has broken free... this can not be" were the last words she ever heard from the green as it flew out of the cave. He did not return, nor did any of his servants. She continued living in the desolate cave, eating what minor food stores were left. She waited for her captor's return while the child in her grew, but he never returned.

Eventually the lack of food forced her outside into a forest she did not know. With the sun on her face and the smell of the forest enveloping her, she realized she was free. She wondered the forest, praying to find her village, but no stream or tree ever looked familiar. She survived as best she could and gathered what food she found when the time for her son's birth approached.

When the refugees found her by following the cries of her child, they found her half starved and near death. The baby boy was well nurtured and healthy, for Marlola gave the boy all she could. They took her in and cared for her. The secret of the boy's father remains hidden away in the her nightmares, while she remains fearful of what others may think of him if they knew the truth.

Possible concerns

First question that may come to mind... why did the green leave his lair and never return? what about his treasure hoard?The cave was just a hide a away for his captive, his main lair and treasure separate. The gold's sudden release threw a giant wrench in the plans he was unfolding and could no longer have the distraction of Marlola. OR the green may no longer be alive. Up to the DM and/or future plot ideas.

What about the elves not knowing about the cave complex? Until the appearance of the sink hole, the extensiveness of the caves was unknown. The entrances may have been known about but never explored.

Look forward to everyone's comments and critiques.
Not bad. I chose not to write a new version as I was to caught up in my old one to do the agreed upon character justice.

That said, this story makes no indication for the cunning and crafty nature of the dragon. No mention of any long or short term goals.

There is also absolutely no indication to the personality or background of Marlola. Nothing to build the character around as the new community develops. In this story she flees not because she escapes or discovers she is pregnant, but seems to just wander away when her captor disappears.

And why is the green dragon gone with his servants, never to return? Even if the green dragon is gone, why did all his servants leave with him? Your story seems to indicate that he died or that he fled. Dieing to defend his territory is one thing, but that in no way means that all his servants died with him. And if he is as cunning as we decided upon why did he die immediately when faced with the gold's release? And as for fleeing, what dragon is just going to flee from a territory he has taken the time to make his own without at least spending some time (weeks/months/etcetera) working to determine if he is truly being forced to leave? If, as has been suggested by myself and others, the gold dragon is confined to the [old city] and nearby surrounding lands there is no reason the gold's existence would force the green to leave. I personally like the idea of the green dragon still being around as a potential adversary of players or the gold dragon.
Not bad. I chose not to write a new version as I was to caught up in my old one to do the agreed upon character justice.

That said, this story makes no indication for the cunning and crafty nature of the dragon. No mention of any long or short term goals.

There is also absolutely no indication to the personality or background of Marlola. Nothing to build the character around as the new community develops. In this story she flees not because she escapes or discovers she is pregnant, but seems to just wander away when her captor disappears.

And why is the green dragon gone with his servants, never to return? Even if the green dragon is gone, why did all his servants leave with him? Your story seems to indicate that he died or that he fled. Dieing to defend his territory is one thing, but that in no way means that all his servants died with him. And if he is as cunning as we decided upon why did he die immediately when faced with the gold's release? And as for fleeing, what dragon is just going to flee from a territory he has taken the time to make his own without at least spending some time (weeks/months/etcetera) working to determine if he is truly being forced to leave? If, as has been suggested by myself and others, the gold dragon is confined to the [old city] and nearby surrounding lands there is no reason the gold's existence would force the green to leave. I personally like the idea of the green dragon still being around as a potential adversary of players or the gold dragon.

I think it works as written, only because it is written from her perspective. She doesn't know, so we don't know. It could be any number of things, but really, for our purposes, it doesn't really matter. Marlola has some character, and at least as much as the most basic of our other refugees. She would do well to fade into the background for a little while, I think. I was going to write a story, but I also found it hard to separate myself from my previous versions.
I still don't fully understand the connection between the green dragon and the gold dragon.

The green dragon would need to be pretty old to know that the gold dragon had been imprisioned.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!
I still don't fully understand the connection between the green dragon and the gold dragon.

The green dragon would need to be pretty old to know that the gold dragon had been imprisioned.

I feel at this point in the development of the city, leaving the connection up in the air leaves plenty of options open. As for how the green knows about the red, same deal.

As the epic story of our city evolves, the more sketchy, unknown elements of the citizens past can flesh out.

Kage, as far as what happened to the green... who knows? All that is known is that he did not return the one Marlola was in, and the lack of treasure implied a second, more permanent cave.

As for wondering, in a foreign forest with no signs of civilization... I don't think she had any clue which direction to go. Being from a culture more hunter gatherer in nature, she had the knowledge of the woods in order to survive. This leaves open the possibility of some encounter during that time, which was minor then, but becomes a spring board for a plot hook.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm looking forward to seeing what else can be made out of those chosen characteristics. Kinda felt like a creative writing assignment.
I've added Marlola's new story to the refugee breakdown. We are still short another rural human family, a dragonborn family, an eladrin family, and an eladrin individual.
REFUGEE BREAKDOWN

HUMANS: Two large groups (six 4-person families), plus two individuals.
Total: 26 humans (16 adults, 8 children, 2 elderly).
Open: 3 adults, 1 child.
Breakdown

Carpenter's Family
Koren (carpenter), plus wife and two sons (2 Adults, 2 Children; 3m, 1f).

Description: Koren grew up in a seaside city, learning his father's trade and becoming an accomplished shipwright. When he lost both of his brothers to the sea, he closed up shop and moved inland, where he as worked as a carpenter in [Old City]. While much work was available in [Old City] after the dragon attack, Moses convinced him that the attack was not over. Since moving to [Old City], he has bowed to the demands of his customers and kept to the prevailing styles of the city, but now he feels a renewal of his youthful ambitions and dreams, and Koren thinks he can make a mark in this new settlement, artistically speaking.
Nan Kya's Orphans
Nan Kya (cook and herbalist), Jessie (stablegirl), Tam (linkboy) and Rat (mudlarker and occasional pickpocket) who currently has a badly sprained leg. (1 elderly, 3 children; 2m, 2f).

Description: Nan Kya is unofficial third granny to many of the children in the slum quarter of [Old City] and when disaster struck and scattered their families, it was Nan Kya that the lost children gravitated to. In the days that followed, most of the children were reclaimed by their parents, older siblings and street gangs, but three remain with nowhere else to go and Kya has taken them under her wing.

Although justifiably renowned for her ability to make even the poorest food taste good, it is in fact the medical side of her herb lore that the local adults revere. Nan Kya, they say, is the person to turn to when you can't go to the temples and the official healers or alchemists - for whatever reason, be it cost, or fear, or simply having a bounty on your head.
Noble Swine
Lyndon Merriweather a noble, his wife Fionna, and two daughters (2 adults, 2 children; 1m, 3f).

Description: Lyndon Merriweather had come from a prestigious, well-to-do family. His family holdings were spread far across the city, with monetary influence in almost every walk of life. Lyn had it all. And he wasted it daily. He was a spoiled, rich brat, never having to work a day in his life for anything. Everything that he wanted he could purchase, from his clothes, to his house, to his "education", to his every whim. Typically, he could be seen at one of the local taverns, frittering away coin on boozing, gambling, and whoring. No one really liked him, not that he cared; with all of his money and power, no one could really do anything about it. This was a life that he was used to.

He had an arranged marriage, and wasn't even old enough to speak up for himself when the deal was made. With his own inheritance and the dowry of his wife, he would have been able to drink away the next fifty years, had he lived that long. Fionna was pretty, though not as stunning as some of the women that he frequented. They had two daughters who barely knew their father.

Lyndon became the unwilling financier of the refugees, when he tactlessly threw himself at Ariana, not realizing that she too was of noble birth. The fact that his money had bought many of the provisions was a fact that he would not soon forget, and would lord over any who questioned his slothfulness.
Wranglers
Jackson and three other cattle wranglers and ranch hands (4 adults; 3m, 1f).

Description: The distant flames seemed to light up his eyes against the canvas of his dark skin in the shadows of the night. His first thoughts were of Ariana. He thought she had said she was coming back to the city today. For once he hoped that she was late.

In the chaos of the aftermath, Jackson could only find three other wranglers. The cattle were so long gone, it would have been futile to try and find them all. Jackson needed to get back to visit the city.
The Farmer's Family
Costran, Farm Family Patriarch, plus wife Dhalitha and sons Dexis and Lorten (1 elderly, 3 adult; 3m, 1f).

Description: Costran has farmed all his life, and is rather successful about it. He oversees large farming plots outside the city, growing crops on rotating years, and even trying his hand at winemaking as a hobby. He has four three strong sons from his first (late) wife, and has remarried Dhalitha , an attractive young foreign-born dancer Costran met in the city, much to the dismay of his sons who think she might be after his land and money. In his youthful days, Costran became a devoted follower of the local religion, converted by the newly-confirmed priestess Moses. When he heard that Moses was having a bit of a crisis of faith, he decided to follow her on her pilgrimage, and make sure these "danged younguns who ain't known a hard days work" didn't get themselves in trouble. He turned his farm over to his eldest son and his wife to take care of while he went on this little trip, and took his two younger sons Dexis and Lorten along with him.
Ariana the Falconer
Ariana: falconer and prodigal noble (1 adult; 1f).

Description: Born the unexpected fourth child to the noble Aquila family allowed Ariana to be freed of most of the obligations and expectations of her older siblings. Lacking a strong hand to guide her into being a typical noble, Ariana found herself drawn to the wilderness and the freedom to be found there. Though considered uncouth and snubbed by her noble peers, it was this relaxed nature that allows her to interact easily with commoners and has allowed her to stand forward in these times of troubles.
Full Description Found Here
Urchin Bandon
Urchin, once homeless (1 adult; 1m)

Description: Like any street kid, Klein "the Urchin" Bandon had had a hard life, one which nearly doubled his apparent age. Now sixteen, he looked nearly thirty, which had played to his favor. He was uncommonly strong for his age, which could be attributed mostly to his iron will and good cooking. His strength, combined with his older looks, had allowed him to work at the docks since he was only twelve. The wages barely paid for food, so what food he bought was usually in the form of raw ingredients, which Nan Kya, his adopted grandmother, was more than willing to cook up.

The docks were closed for solstice, which left Klein to his other "profession", spending the day collecting on the generosity of others. He was at the temple pavilion when the lighthouse gave birth to the cursewarped terror, and was one of the many ushered inside the safety of the temple walls.

In the aftermath, there were not enough common labor jobs for even those that were recently made homeless, let alone those who had spent a lifetime in poverty. When Moses approached him about going with the small group of refugees, he knew his bargaining chip. Thanks to Nan Kya's kindness, he was an ox. It was no surprise that his agreement came with the condition that Nan Kya be allowed to go as well.

DWARVES: One large group (three 4-person families).
Total: 12 (6 adults, 2 children, 4 elderly).
Breakdown

Axebreaker Clan
Bofbin Axebreaker (cartographer and scholar) and his wife Darea (2 elderly; 1m, 1f).
Helthal (soldier), Bofbin's son, and his wife and children (1 elderly, 2 adults, 1 child; 2m, 2f).
Orion (barkeep), Bofbin's grandson, and his wife (2 Adults; 2m, 2f).

Description: Bobfin has seen his children succumb to the wandering nature of his youth, and without much success. He has committed too many of his children and grandchildren to the earth long before their time, and except one son, a daughter, and his grandson, his few living decedents are scattered to the winds.

Dirt Farmers
Darryl One-eye (retired mercenary) with his farmer father, his wife Deurana and baby daughter (1 elderly, 2 adults, 1 child; 2m, 2f).

Description: Darryl heard the dragon wings before his remaining eye spotted the fires springing up in its wake. He managed to get down into the cellar with his wife, his baby daughter and his doom-and-gloom father before the dragon reached them - along with a goat that was about to kid. The group huddled at the back of the cellar and waited for the beast to go away.

When they finally emerged again, there were 4 goats to lift out of the cellar and all the grain fields were burnt flat.

HALFLINGS One large group of halflings (three 3-person families).
Total: 9 halflings (6 adults, 3 children).
Breakdown

Garfunkle's Gang
Garfunkel (prospector) and Ginger Rabbitsnare and Garf's tag-along "little" brother Benji (3 adults; 2m, 1f).

Description: What happens when you cross a stream loving halfling and a stream of good luck? A halfling gold prospector! Sifting gold from the very streams he lives on, the young gold-seeking halfling, his newlywed wife, and brother make a fine addition to our group!
Janis and Sons
Janis (woodswoman), and her two twin sons (1 adult, 2 children; 2m, 1f).

Description: Janis and her late husband spent a lot of time in on the rivers and in the nearby forests, but when her husband died when her sons were infants, Janis settled down to care for them. Janis found a friend in Ariana the falconer, and taught her much of what she knows of the forests.
The Lucky Trio
Gillybloom (f), Taffle (m), Tansy (f child) (2 adults, 1 child; 1m, 2f).

Description: It was originally part dare, part coming of age celebration (apart from someone's tag-along kid sister determined to prove she was just as good as the rest of them). They were all going to climb the lighthouse and wave flags from the top. Gillybloom was leading the way when the beast broke out, hurling them all in different directions. Gillybloom and two others were lucky enough to land in the softish mud of the riverbank, but they haven't seen any of their friends since. These three, Gillybloom, Taffle and Tansy, now stick together as a personal reminder not to be so foolish again.

Before the [Old City] was attacked, Gillybloom was learning to scout ahead and around and Taffle is an apprentice sail & rope-maker. Tansy is still a generalist, used to pitching in with any task that needs help.

DRAGONBORN: Two small groups (four 2-person families).
Total: 8 (4 adults, 4 children).
Open: 2 adults, 0 children.
Breakdown

Yorcha and Yishi
Yorcha (mercenary warrior), and Yishi, her 11 yr old squire with dreams of working magic(1 adult, 1 child; 2f)

Description: This was supposed to be an easy hire. Or so the recruiter had claimed. Just standing guard in a city where the threat had already left. No problems, just routine watches from battered walls.

That's why Yorcha had brought her young cousin Yishi as her squire, hoping that the youngling would gain enough experience in the trade that she would actually settle down and work instead of craning her neck after every mage that walked past.

If only she had known that it wasn't over...
Double Dragons
Ghoros, first out of the egg, and Ghent, who followed (2 children; 2m).

Description: A rarity indeed, twin dragonborn are almost unheard of. Born of the same shell, Ghoros is the stronger of the brothers, while Ghent is more clever. The two are in constant competition, and had been in a footrace (Ghoros leading, of course) when the cursewarped dragon shook the world. They never found their father.

While Ghoros leans more towards the martial persuasion, leaning to the hand-and-a-half swords like their father, Ghent keeps his head in books, trying to wrap his intellect around the concepts of the arcane arts. However, without a teacher, it would be a surprise if Ghent ever mastered more than the most basic of cantrips.

The twins soon come of age, a time of power for dragonborn when inherent abilities manifest. Only the gods know the fates of the double dragons.
Deethra, new mother
Deethra, inactive dragonborn mercenary, and her unhatched egg, name undecided. (1 adult, 1 child; 1f, 1 unknown)

Description: Deethra had entered [Old City] a few weeks before solistice. After years of mercenary service, she needed to settle down for a bit. Gestation would soon be over, and she needed a place to rest, lay her egg, and raise her child. She spoke with the elders of the temple near the lighthouse, and they did what they could to accomodate her.

Her labor began on the eve of summer solistice. Feasts and festivities were well under way already, and it seemed to be a glorious day to birth her young. The labor was long, too be sure, but no matter for her; young born on solistice was an auspicious event. She was excited, both for herself and her child. That is, until it happened.

The egg began to crown at dusk on solstice, and as the sun set the ground began to shake. Everyone stopped what they were doing, and when the sun dropped beneath the horizon, a tremendous explosion shattered the lighthouse. All that could be seen was smoke and flame. And at that moment, the egg was laid, and Deethra collapsed from exhaustion.

When she awoke the following morning, many of the priests were unconscious, if not dead, though her egg seemed healthy. She was still exhausted from her delivery, but was compelled to investigate. It was then she met Moses, as the visibly shaken priest insisted that Deethra lay back down; Deethra was in no condition to do anything at the moment. The priest then presented Deethra’s egg to her, and was directed to care and watch over it.

As the days past, there was much discussion over the events of solistice; the curse-warped gold dragon laid waste to much of the city. Leaders promised that everything would be fine, and that rebuilding is already underway. But there were some who were unconvinced, and after listening to Moses, she had to agree. This place would not be a safe location to raise her child. She would join the refugees; it was time to leave.

ELVES: One small group (two 2-person families).
Total: 4 elves (3 adults, 1 child)
Breakdown

Twin Sisters Pomi and Loti
Sisters Pomi and Loti, wanderers who had most recently been florists in [Old City] (2 adults; 2f).

Description: Pomi and Loti grew up in an elven community built around a small hillock in the woods. Born as twins they were inseparable, often getting into trouble for finding themselves in places they adults feared they were to young to visit. In truth this was as much due to egging each other on as much as their natural curiosity. As they grew their wanders took them farther and farther afield, so it was no surprise when they announced they had decided to see the world beyond their forests. Traveling mostly by foot on the few roads available for over five years they were lucky to pass by most of their potential obstacles, but eventually news of their elder sister's declining health directed their travels to [old city]. Upon arriving in [old city] they found their sister had passed on and a niece, Mililani (half-elf), in need of a family so they agreed to take a short break. Two years later they had their florists business thriving but were starting to feel the need to wander again when the dragon broke free...
Marlola
Marlola and her infant, half-dragon son, Acharis (draconic, meaning emerald hope) or "Chris" (adult 1, child 1; 1f, 1m).

Description: With the sun on her face and the smell of the forest enveloping her, Marlola realized she was free. She wondered the forest, praying to find her village, but no stream or tree ever looked familiar. She survived as best she could and gathered what food she found when the time for her son's birth approached.

When the refugees found her by following the cries of her child, they found her half starved and near death. The baby boy was well nurtured and healthy, for Marlola gave the boy all she could. They took her in and cared for her. The secret of the boy's father remains hidden away in the her nightmares, while she remains fearful of what others may think of him if they knew the truth.

HALF ELVES: Two individuals (2 adults).
Total: 2 (2 adults)
Breakdown

Mililani
Mililani the young niece of Pomi and Loti, and barwench from the Dragon's Berth (1 adult; 1f).

Description: Mililani is a young half-elf (16 years old) living with aunts Pomi and Loti while working at the bar her mother worked in, the Dragon's Berth. Though her father is not publicly known Mililani has lived a life of love and joy, surrounded by the friendly patrons of the bar. Forced to live alone when her mother died three years ago, she was eventually reunited with her elven heritage when her aunts arrived a year later. Though independent and somewhat brash, her ready smile and lively wit has allowed Mililani to avoid most of the troubles that could be expected of a young girl in a large city.
Jeffers
Jeffers, retired guard, co-owner of the Dragon's Berth (1 adult; 1m).

Description: During his last patrol as city guard, a group of burglars had shattered his right leg, and he had been forced to retire from service. Taking what savings he had, Jeffers found common cause at the Dragon’s Berth. Owned by Bobfin’s grandson, Boffin (?), the bar had become seedy and run down, typically losing money to drinks unpaid. Now as co-owner and cook/part-time bouncer of the Dragon's Berth, he has helped turn it into a well-established tavern and inn that typically caters to both city-folk and wayward travelers. On occasion, his right leg would courses with pain, and it always foretelling of a bad day to come. He has a gruff, somewhat reserved demeanor, but is always honest and helpful, and loves to recount his days as a guard.

ELADRIN: Two tiny groups (two 3-person families), plus one individual.
Total: 7 (4 adult, 2 children, 1 venerable).
Open: 2 adults, 2 children.
Breakdown

Aust's Entourage
Aust Amakiir (lorekeeper), his "nephew" Tier (escort), and Slyvia (2 adult, 1 venerable; 2m, 1f).

Description: Aust Amakiir lives only half in the world. As his body passes into the ether his soul seems to shine through it like a light. He is not long for the world, which may explain why he seemed as serene as ever while the dragon streaked like a bright golden meteor above the darkened streets of the city.

Amakiir [meaning: beautiful silence of dusk] fancies himself a loremaster, which offers the other explanation as to why he was so calm. He knew. Though it is only speculation, it would explain his timely arrival in the city, the countless hours in the library, and how some books just happened to be in his possession rather than at the library when it burned to the ground.

He arrived in town with two young eladrin, Tier, who he introduced as a nephew, and Sylvia his nephew's bride. Tier has a quick wit, and a quick blade, and never strays far from the company of his uncle. Tier seems to be more of guard and escort than young nephew, though Sylvia seems to genuinely be espoused to Tier.

TIEFLING: One individual.
Total: 1 (1 adult)
Breakdown

Moses
Moses, the tiefling priestess (1 adult; 1f).

Submission for rural Human family:

Hoffman Family

Randell, wife Jacqueline, brother Jarett, and son Payton (3 adults, 1 Child; 3m 1f)

Description:With their parents recently deceased, Randell and Jarett maintained a small potato farm far outside of [Old City]. On [Old City's] fateful day, the Hoffman family only saw brief glimpses of the life altering event. When refugees started making their way out, they threw the farmstead open to help those in need. Sticking together and helping out where ever they can, they joined the refugees out to a future unknown.
Submission for rural Human family:
Hoffman Family

Randell, wife Jacqueline, brother Jarett, and son Payton (3 adults, 1 Child; 3m 1f)

Description:With their parents recently deceased, Randell and Jarett maintained a small potato farm far outside of [Old City]. On [Old City's] fateful day, the Hoffman family only saw brief glimpses of the life altering event. When refugees started making their way out, they threw the farmstead open to help those in need. Sticking together and helping out where ever they can, they joined the refugees out to a future unknown.

Two (slight) problems. (1) It has been noted that we already have a gender unbalance towards males and (2) we don't yet have a blacksmith. We already have more than one competent farmer however. Though more farmers never hurt, and one of the dragonborn or dwarves could easily be a blacksmith. Just something to consider. :D
[EDIT]Started this post before PR commented about the blacksmith. Guess we're on the same page...[/EDIT]

Here's a dragonborn family for consideration.

Vharas and Senzer, 2 adult male dragonborn
By all that is just and true in Dragonborn society, Vharas should have grown up to be an incredible warrior. However, strong blood and great apprenticeships did not overcome his pacifism. After he was formally recognized as an adult, he took the rare step of reapprenticing himself to Senzer, an older dragonborn mercenery who had retired from campaigning and worked as a weapon and armorsmith.

Senzer, not being one for celebrations, was working with Vharas in his shop when the Golden Death struck. Half of the building collapsed, pinning Senzer's left arm to the burning forge-coals. Vharas freed himself from the rubble quickly, and struck off Senzer's arm with a recently forged axe to free his master from his torment and escape the spreading fire.

Senzer has been a shell of his former self since the attack, and with the shop destroyed, there has been little to occupy his time. Vharas heard about this foolish band of refugees, and decided to drag Senzer on one last, and Vharas' first, campaign, in order to rekindle his spirits.
With our latest additions, all we need are a few eladrin and a description for Moses. My question is: What are people's thoughts on Moses? I'm half tempted to dredge through 14 pages of posts to find everything said about her...

REFUGEE BREAKDOWN

HUMANS: Two large groups (six 4-person families), plus two individuals.
Total: 26 humans (16 adults, 8 children, 2 elderly).
Breakdown

Carpenter's Family
Koren (carpenter), plus wife and two sons (2 Adults, 2 Children; 3m, 1f).

Description: Koren grew up in a seaside city, learning his father's trade and becoming an accomplished shipwright. When he lost both of his brothers to the sea, he closed up shop and moved inland, where he as worked as a carpenter in [Old City]. While much work was available in [Old City] after the dragon attack, Moses convinced him that the attack was not over. Since moving to [Old City], he has bowed to the demands of his customers and kept to the prevailing styles of the city, but now he feels a renewal of his youthful ambitions and dreams, and Koren thinks he can make a mark in this new settlement, artistically speaking.
Nan Kya's Orphans
Nan Kya (cook and herbalist), Jessie (stablegirl), Tam (linkboy) and Rat (mudlarker and occasional pickpocket) who currently has a badly sprained leg. (1 elderly, 3 children; 2m, 2f).

Description: Nan Kya is unofficial third granny to many of the children in the slum quarter of [Old City] and when disaster struck and scattered their families, it was Nan Kya that the lost children gravitated to. In the days that followed, most of the children were reclaimed by their parents, older siblings and street gangs, but three remain with nowhere else to go and Kya has taken them under her wing.

Although justifiably renowned for her ability to make even the poorest food taste good, it is in fact the medical side of her herb lore that the local adults revere. Nan Kya, they say, is the person to turn to when you can't go to the temples and the official healers or alchemists - for whatever reason, be it cost, or fear, or simply having a bounty on your head.
Noble Swine
Lyndon Merriweather a noble, his wife Fionna, and two daughters (2 adults, 2 children; 1m, 3f).

Description: Lyndon Merriweather had come from a prestigious, well-to-do family. His family holdings were spread far across the city, with monetary influence in almost every walk of life. Lyn had it all. And he wasted it daily. He was a spoiled, rich brat, never having to work a day in his life for anything. Everything that he wanted he could purchase, from his clothes, to his house, to his "education", to his every whim. Typically, he could be seen at one of the local taverns, frittering away coin on boozing, gambling, and whoring. No one really liked him, not that he cared; with all of his money and power, no one could really do anything about it. This was a life that he was used to.

He had an arranged marriage, and wasn't even old enough to speak up for himself when the deal was made. With his own inheritance and the dowry of his wife, he would have been able to drink away the next fifty years, had he lived that long. Fionna was pretty, though not as stunning as some of the women that he frequented. They had two daughters who barely knew their father.

Lyndon became the unwilling financier of the refugees, when he tactlessly threw himself at Ariana, not realizing that she too was of noble birth. The fact that his money had bought many of the provisions was a fact that he would not soon forget, and would lord over any who questioned his slothfulness.
Wranglers
Jackson and three other cattle wranglers and ranch hands (4 adults; 3m, 1f).

Description: The distant flames seemed to light up his eyes against the canvas of his dark skin in the shadows of the night. His first thoughts were of Ariana. He thought she had said she was coming back to the city today. For once he hoped that she was late.

In the chaos of the aftermath, Jackson could only find three other wranglers. The cattle were so long gone, it would have been futile to try and find them all. Jackson needed to get back to visit the city.
The Farmer's Family
Costran, Farm Family Patriarch, plus wife Dhalitha and sons Dexis and Lorten (1 elderly, 3 adult; 3m, 1f).

Description: Costran has farmed all his life, and is rather successful about it. He oversees large farming plots outside the city, growing crops on rotating years, and even trying his hand at winemaking as a hobby. He has four three strong sons from his first (late) wife, and has remarried Dhalitha , an attractive young foreign-born dancer Costran met in the city, much to the dismay of his sons who think she might be after his land and money. In his youthful days, Costran became a devoted follower of the local religion, converted by the newly-confirmed priestess Moses. When he heard that Moses was having a bit of a crisis of faith, he decided to follow her on her pilgrimage, and make sure these "danged younguns who ain't known a hard days work" didn't get themselves in trouble. He turned his farm over to his eldest son and his wife to take care of while he went on this little trip, and took his two younger sons Dexis and Lorten along with him.
Hoffman Family

Ariana the Falconer
Ariana: falconer and prodigal noble (1 adult; 1f).

Description: Born the unexpected fourth child to the noble Aquila family allowed Ariana to be freed of most of the obligations and expectations of her older siblings. Lacking a strong hand to guide her into being a typical noble, Ariana found herself drawn to the wilderness and the freedom to be found there. Though considered uncouth and snubbed by her noble peers, it was this relaxed nature that allows her to interact easily with commoners and has allowed her to stand forward in these times of troubles.
Urchin Bandon
Urchin, once homeless (1 adult; 1m)

Description: Like any street kid, Klein "the Urchin" Bandon had had a hard life, one which nearly doubled his apparent age. Now sixteen, he looked nearly thirty, which had played to his favor. He was uncommonly strong for his age, which could be attributed mostly to his iron will and good cooking. His strength, combined with his older looks, had allowed him to work at the docks since he was only twelve. The wages barely paid for food, so what food he bought was usually in the form of raw ingredients, which Nan Kya, his adopted grandmother, was more than willing to cook up.

The docks were closed for solstice, which left Klein to his other "profession", spending the day collecting on the generosity of others. He was at the temple pavilion when the lighthouse gave birth to the cursewarped terror, and was one of the many ushered inside the safety of the temple walls.

In the aftermath, there were not enough common labor jobs for even those that were recently made homeless, let alone those who had spent a lifetime in poverty. When Moses approached him about going with the small group of refugees, he knew his bargaining chip. Thanks to Nan Kya's kindness, he was an ox. It was no surprise that his agreement came with the condition that Nan Kya be allowed to go as well.

DWARVES: One large group (three 4-person families).
Total: 12 (6 adults, 2 children, 4 elderly).
Breakdown

Axebreaker Clan
Bofbin Axebreaker (cartographer and scholar) and his wife Darea (2 elderly; 1m, 1f).
Helthal (soldier), Bofbin's son, and his wife and children (1 elderly, 2 adults, 1 child; 2m, 2f).
Orion (barkeep), Bofbin's grandson, and his wife (2 Adults; 2m, 2f).

Description: Bobfin has seen his children succumb to the wandering nature of his youth, and without much success. He has committed too many of his children and grandchildren to the earth long before their time, and except one son, a daughter, and his grandson, his few living decedents are scattered to the winds.

Dirt Farmers
Darryl One-eye (retired mercenary) with his farmer father, his wife Deurana and baby daughter (1 elderly, 2 adults, 1 child; 2m, 2f).

Description: Darryl heard the dragon wings before his remaining eye spotted the fires springing up in its wake. He managed to get down into the cellar with his wife, his baby daughter and his doom-and-gloom father before the dragon reached them - along with a goat that was about to kid. The group huddled at the back of the cellar and waited for the beast to go away.

When they finally emerged again, there were 4 goats to lift out of the cellar and all the grain fields were burnt flat.

HALFLINGS One large group of halflings (three 3-person families).
Total: 9 halflings (6 adults, 3 children).
Breakdown

Garfunkle's Gang
Garfunkel (prospector) and Ginger Rabbitsnare and Garf's tag-along "little" brother Benji (3 adults; 2m, 1f).

Description: What happens when you cross a stream loving halfling and a stream of good luck? A halfling gold prospector! Sifting gold from the very streams he lives on, the young gold-seeking halfling, his newlywed wife, and brother make a fine addition to our group!
Janis and Sons
Janis (woodswoman), and her two twin sons (1 adult, 2 children; 2m, 1f).

Description: Janis and her late husband spent a lot of time in on the rivers and in the nearby forests, but when her husband died when her sons were infants, Janis settled down to care for them. Janis found a friend in Ariana the falconer, and taught her much of what she knows of the forests.
The Lucky Trio
Gillybloom (f), Taffle (m), Tansy (f child) (2 adults, 1 child; 1m, 2f).

Description: It was originally part dare, part coming of age celebration (apart from someone's tag-along kid sister determined to prove she was just as good as the rest of them). They were all going to climb the lighthouse and wave flags from the top. Gillybloom was leading the way when the beast broke out, hurling them all in different directions. Gillybloom and two others were lucky enough to land in the softish mud of the riverbank, but they haven't seen any of their friends since. These three, Gillybloom, Taffle and Tansy, now stick together as a personal reminder not to be so foolish again.

Before the [Old City] was attacked, Gillybloom was learning to scout ahead and around and Taffle is an apprentice sail & rope-maker. Tansy is still a generalist, used to pitching in with any task that needs help.

DRAGONBORN: Two small groups (four 2-person families).
Total: 8 (4 adults, 4 children).
Breakdown

Yorcha and Yishi
Yorcha (mercenary warrior), and Yishi, her 11 yr old squire with dreams of working magic(1 adult, 1 child; 2f)

Description: This was supposed to be an easy hire. Or so the recruiter had claimed. Just standing guard in a city where the threat had already left. No problems, just routine watches from battered walls.

That's why Yorcha had brought her young cousin Yishi as her squire, hoping that the youngling would gain enough experience in the trade that she would actually settle down and work instead of craning her neck after every mage that walked past.

If only she had known that it wasn't over...
Double Dragons
Ghoros, first out of the egg, and Ghent, who followed (2 children; 2m).

Description: A rarity indeed, twin dragonborn are almost unheard of. Born of the same shell, Ghoros is the stronger of the brothers, while Ghent is more clever. The two are in constant competition, and had been in a footrace (Ghoros leading, of course) when the cursewarped dragon shook the world. They never found their father.

While Ghoros leans more towards the martial persuasion, leaning to the hand-and-a-half swords like their father, Ghent keeps his head in books, trying to wrap his intellect around the concepts of the arcane arts. However, without a teacher, it would be a surprise if Ghent ever mastered more than the most basic of cantrips.

The twins soon come of age, a time of power for dragonborn when inherent abilities manifest. Only the gods know the fates of the double dragons.
Deethra, new mother
Deethra, inactive dragonborn mercenary, and her unhatched egg, name undecided. (1 adult, 1 child; 1f, 1 unknown)

Description: Deethra had entered [Old City] a few weeks before solistice. After years of mercenary service, she needed to settle down for a bit. Gestation would soon be over, and she needed a place to rest, lay her egg, and raise her child. She spoke with the elders of the temple near the lighthouse, and they did what they could to accomodate her.

Her labor began on the eve of summer solistice. Feasts and festivities were well under way already, and it seemed to be a glorious day to birth her young. The labor was long, too be sure, but no matter for her; young born on solistice was an auspicious event. She was excited, both for herself and her child. That is, until it happened.

The egg began to crown at dusk on solstice, and as the sun set the ground began to shake. Everyone stopped what they were doing, and when the sun dropped beneath the horizon, a tremendous explosion shattered the lighthouse. All that could be seen was smoke and flame. And at that moment, the egg was laid, and Deethra collapsed from exhaustion.

When she awoke the following morning, many of the priests were unconscious, if not dead, though her egg seemed healthy. She was still exhausted from her delivery, but was compelled to investigate. It was then she met Moses, as the visibly shaken priest insisted that Deethra lay back down; Deethra was in no condition to do anything at the moment. The priest then presented Deethra’s egg to her, and was directed to care and watch over it.

As the days past, there was much discussion over the events of solistice; the curse-warped gold dragon laid waste to much of the city. Leaders promised that everything would be fine, and that rebuilding is already underway. But there were some who were unconvinced, and after listening to Moses, she had to agree. This place would not be a safe location to raise her child. She would join the refugees; it was time to leave.
The Smiths
Vharas and Senzer (2 adults, 2m).

Description: By all that is just and true in Dragonborn society, Vharas should have grown up to be an incredible warrior. However, strong blood and great apprenticeships did not overcome his pacifism. After he was formally recognized as an adult, he took the rare step of reapprenticing himself to Senzer, an older dragonborn mercenery who had retired from campaigning and worked as a weapon and armorsmith.

Senzer, not being one for celebrations, was working with Vharas in his shop when the Golden Death struck. Half of the building collapsed, pinning Senzer's left arm to the burning forge-coals. Vharas freed himself from the rubble quickly, and struck off Senzer's arm with a recently forged axe to free his master from his torment and escape the spreading fire.

Senzer has been a shell of his former self since the attack, and with the shop destroyed, there has been little to occupy his time. Vharas heard about this foolish band of refugees, and decided to drag Senzer on one last, and Vharas' first, campaign, in order to rekindle his spirits.

ELVES: One small group (two 2-person families).
Total: 4 elves (3 adults, 1 child)
Breakdown

Twin Sisters Pomi and Loti
Sisters Pomi and Loti, wanderers who had most recently been florists in [Old City] (2 adults; 2f).

Description: Pomi and Loti grew up in an elven community built around a small hillock in the woods. Born as twins they were inseparable, often getting into trouble for finding themselves in places they adults feared they were to young to visit. In truth this was as much due to egging each other on as much as their natural curiosity. As they grew their wanders took them farther and farther afield, so it was no surprise when they announced they had decided to see the world beyond their forests. Traveling mostly by foot on the few roads available for over five years they were lucky to pass by most of their potential obstacles, but eventually news of their elder sister's declining health directed their travels to [old city]. Upon arriving in [old city] they found their sister had passed on and a niece, Mililani (half-elf), in need of a family so they agreed to take a short break. Two years later they had their florists business thriving but were starting to feel the need to wander again when the dragon broke free...
Marlola
Marlola and her infant, half-dragon son, Acharis (draconic, meaning emerald hope) or "Chris" (adult 1, child 1; 1f, 1m).

Description: With the sun on her face and the smell of the forest enveloping her, Marlola realized she was free. She wondered the forest, praying to find her village, but no stream or tree ever looked familiar. She survived as best she could and gathered what food she found when the time for her son's birth approached.

HALF ELVES: Two individuals (2 adults).
Total: 2 (2 adults)
Breakdown

Mililani
Mililani the young niece of Pomi and Loti, and barwench from the Dragon's Berth (1 adult; 1f).

Description: Mililani is a young half-elf (16 years old) living with aunts Pomi and Loti while working at the bar her mother worked in, the Dragon's Berth. Though her father is not publicly known Mililani has lived a life of love and joy, surrounded by the friendly patrons of the bar. Forced to live alone when her mother died three years ago, she was eventually reunited with her elven heritage when her aunts arrived a year later. Though independent and somewhat brash, her ready smile and lively wit has allowed Mililani to avoid most of the troubles that could be expected of a young girl in a large city.
Jeffers
Jeffers, retired guard, co-owner of the Dragon's Berth (1 adult; 1m).

Description: During his last patrol as city guard, a group of burglars had shattered his right leg, and he had been forced to retire from service. Taking what savings he had, Jeffers found common cause at the Dragon’s Berth. Owned by Bobfin’s grandson, Boffin (?), the bar had become seedy and run down, typically losing money to drinks unpaid. Now as co-owner and cook/part-time bouncer of the Dragon's Berth, he has helped turn it into a well-established tavern and inn that typically caters to both city-folk and wayward travelers. On occasion, his right leg would courses with pain, and it always foretelling of a bad day to come. He has a gruff, somewhat reserved demeanor, but is always honest and helpful, and loves to recount his days as a guard.

ELADRIN: Two tiny groups (two 3-person families), plus one individual.
Total: 7 (4 adult, 2 children, 1 venerable).
Open: 2 adults, 2 children.
Breakdown

Aust's Entourage
Aust Amakiir (lorekeeper), his "nephew" Tier (escort), and Sylvia (2 adult, 1 venerable; 2m, 1f).

Description: Aust Amakiir lives only half in the world. As his body passes into the ether his soul seems to shine through it like a light. He is not long for the world, which may explain why he seemed as serene as ever while the dragon streaked like a bright golden meteor above the darkened streets of the city.

Amakiir [meaning: beautiful silence of dusk] fancies himself a loremaster, which offers the other explanation as to why he was so calm. He knew. Though it is only speculation, it would explain his timely arrival in the city, the countless hours in the library, and how some books just happened to be in his possession rather than at the library when it burned to the ground.

He arrived in town with two young eladrin, Tier, who he introduced as a nephew, and Sylvia his nephew's bride. Tier has a quick wit, and a quick blade, and never strays far from the company of his uncle. Tier seems to be more of guard and escort than young nephew, though Sylvia seems to genuinely be espoused to Tier.

TIEFLING: One individual.
Total: 1 (1 adult)
Breakdown

Moses
Moses, the tiefling priestess (1 adult; 1f).

From what I recall, Moses is a tiefling (non-magical?) priest who is having a crisis of faith. There is really no more to go on than that.

However, I think that our exercise with Marlola went very well (in my opinion), and I think that we should be able to treat Moses in the same manner. Since we don't really have much of a story for him/her, a collaboration of the minds would be most beneficial. (Although, if the original creator, J_A I believe, can create a background that we all enjoy we can use that too.)

Anyways, here's my "individual" contribution (still needs fleshing though):

The Orphaned Child:

Silaqui (Eladrin, 1 child, 1f) had moved to [Old City] with her parents several years ago, while she was still very young. In the aftermath of the first attack, she found herself alone; both parents were slain, and she had no family to care for her. Now a youth, and with noone else to turn to, she joins Nan Kya with the refugees.
From what I recall, Moses is a tiefling (non-magical?) priest who is having a crisis of faith. There is really no more to go on than that.

However, I think that our exercise with Marlola went very well (in my opinion), and I think that we should be able to treat Moses in the same manner. Since we don't really have much of a story for him/her, a collaboration of the minds would be most beneficial. (Although, if the original creator, J_A I believe, can create a background that we all enjoy we can use that too.)

With what I learned from the last test, I am more than willing to run another one. I'll post it tomorrow. In the mean time, I need everyone that has an opinion about Moses (including alternate names) to PM me with your ideas! The more responses I get, the better and more concise the test will be, and the better the overall result.

EDIT: POST 400!
Over the next week I'll be drafting the next summary for the thread. Included in the summary will be an outline of the project, including (but not limited to) rules for the main thread, scope of the city, and the direction we wish to go. If anyone has any suggestions for elements you think we should discuss, please PM me so that I can include them in the draft (but hard ideas won't be needed.) I will be going over the thread and picking things out, but your contribution will help out alot. Thank you in advance.