Open discussion: BUILD A CITY 4.0!!!

670 posts / 0 new
Last post
Don't go out of your way to get it done earlier. I can wait. I was just trying to read back through what I'd missed and sometimes it's hard to tell what people agree on. I'm also in a position where I don't have any books on 4.0 so I'm missing things because of that too. But I figure I'm probably not the only one feeling this way (maybe I'm wrong.)

No worries; I don't have any of the books either. Not that it matters. The books that are already out don't provide enough information to give us much more than conjecture and supposition and there is certainly no crunch. For now, an idea's an idea, and you can contribute pretty much anything you like. We'll discuss specifics after we've had some chance to read the official rules.

I've also come to realize that it might be best to do a summary once every one or two weeks. It would allow us to stay focused on what still needs accomplishing, and allows newcomers and infrequent posters to get up to speed fairly quickly (instead of spending a week trying to catch up.)

P.S. If you're still wanting to know some of the highlights for the next edition, you may want to try your bookstore. The bookstore I go to allows me to order something, have it held until I've decided I'm purchasing it (within a time limit), and lets me read it while it's there.
What have we decided about population?
We actually haven't decided anything yet as we were all still in the midst of debate (a heavy one too.) But, I have reexamined his model and I think we can come to a happy medium.

To begin, I went and determined the maximum number of persons that our group would be able to support using the resources which are available to them. By applying the maximum value for each variable I arrived at the following figures:

LARGE POPULATION

4 large groups, Four 4-person families each, plus 4 individuals: 68
3 small groups, Two 3-person families each, plus 3 individuals: 21
2 tiny groups, Two 3-person families each, plus 1 individual: 13
1 solitary member of a species: 1

... giving me nine groups with a total population of 103 individuals. For me, that's just too high.

I then went a determined the minimum number of persons that could feasibly sustain a population that could survive change. By applying the minimum value for each variable, I arrived at these figures:

SMALL POPULATION

4 large groups, Two 3-person families each, plus 2 individuals: 26
3 small groups, One 2-person family each, plus 0 individuals: 6
2 tiny groups, Zero 2-person families each, plus 1 individual: 1

... giving seven groups with a total population of 34. That's pretty small, and insufficient for some.

So I took the average between the two and arrived at 69.

Assuming we lose about one-third of the population during their exodus, that would leave us with 46. The first winter is going to be the hardest on them, and they'd probably lose one-fourth (around 12) of that leaving us with a final population of 34. So 69, leaves us room for attrition.

On the other hand, say there's a population boom. For whatever reason, there is an increase in population by one-third of the total (arbitrary.) Assuming all the settlers survive the first winter, the population would be 92. That is only eleven people shy of our max, so that would leave us plenty of room for growth.

Even if it includes children, elderly and infirmed, I think that a starting population of 69 is a good compromise. It allows us to vary the population without having to many or to few people at any one time.
How did you calculate available resources. Not that I disagree with the math, which looks about right, according to what we have been discussing. I just was wondering, as I think that resources is another good topic to talk about. In other words, what is available to the city upon it's beginning (other than the obvious natural resources (which should be plentiful).
I will add my vote to the:
MODERATE POPULATION (69)

4 large groups, Three 3 to 4-person families each, plus 2 individuals: 47
3 small groups, Two 2-person families each, plus 2 individuals: 14
2 tiny groups, One 3-person family, plus 1 individual: 7
Suggested breakdown:

Two large groups of humans (Six 4-person families), plus two individuals, the falconer and ???: 26 humans (16 adults, 8 children, 2 elderly).

One large group of dwarves (Three 4-person families), the family of the scholar/cartographer's extended family: 12 dwarves (6 adults, 2 children, 4 elderly).

One large group of halflings (Three 3-person families): 9 halflings (6 adults, 3 children).

Two small groups of dragonborn (Four 2-person families): 8 dragonborn (4 adults, 4 children).

One small group of elves (Two 2-person families): 4 elves (3 adults, 1 child).

Two individual half-elves, the bartender and the guard: 2 half-elves (2 adults).

Two tiny groups of eldarin (Two 3-person families), plus one individual: 7 eladrin (5 adult, 2 children).

I think that we can agree that Moses, the tiefling preist(ess), will be the solitary member of a species: 1 tiefling (1 adult!).
Fluff stuff:

For the two large groups of humans I am thinking a group of farmers and a group of city folk. That will give us a wide selection of practical skills and resources. I know I suggested the Falconer, who has been (in this thread) promoted to minor nobility status. I'm not sure who the other individual human would be. Some ideas:
  • A woodsman, like a lumberjack that is more 'warrior' than 'expert'
  • A street urchin type.
  • A wandering minstrel from the fair/celebration.
  • ...etc.

I think that they extended family of the dwarven cartographer makes a good group of dwarves, with perhaps 4 generations. The lone grandfather, his two sons and daughter, the spouses of the second generation, and their children, and perhaps one or two great grandchildren.

A few halfing families with young children may not want to start out on the river after their boats and supplies are destroyed. The hardship might be too much. Though they would insist that the group settle near water of some sort, else their children grow up "weird".

Four dragonborn guards (2m/2f) and their wards (children) should do fine. I see them using their children like squires in order to teach them the ways of the dragonborn.

A pairing of elves might be trappers or trackers, etc. A single elf might have been more acclimated to the city, and might be the sire of one or both of the half elves if he has a penchant for human women (or vice versa).

Of the two individual half-elves, the bartender and the guard have been proposed, and I see nothing the matter with them, though other ideas can certainly be entertained.

Eldarin may have had interests in the city that were fulfilled with the celebration and following dragon attack, and were looking for a quick, safe way out of the city. Perhaps a place where the veil between the world and the feywild were close was destroyed in the onslaught of the dragon, stranding the eldarin until they find another such place.

Then there is Moses... could Moses be a priestess, and not a priest? Just thinking on keyboard...
I had actually originally envisioned the tiefling priest as female, but it seemed as though everyone else envisioned the tiefling priest as male, so I thought the name Moses was fitting.

I think that Moses is typically a male name, but we could still use it as the name of a female character. Perhaps she was given a male name for some sort of superstitious reason by her family. There is some real world practice of this; iirc, Bruce Lee's actual name was a female name; his father gave him a girl's name because his father believed giving Bruce a female name would fool the evil spirits which had plagued the male members of their family.

Alternatively, it would be pretty easy to modify Moses into a female name: Mosea, Mosesba, Mosesha, etc.

I support the moderate numbers for the population. 69 isn't far from what I had originally proposed.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
 The Best in Gaming!
How did you calculate available resources. Not that I disagree with the math, which looks about right, according to what we have been discussing. I just was wondering, as I think that resources is another good topic to talk about. In other words, what is available to the city upon it's beginning (other than the obvious natural resources (which should be plentiful).

Umm... I didn't really, but any manifest that I'd have provided would have been arbitrary at best. We haven't really given much consideration regarding space, food, ond other commodities, and we don't have a scale either. While I agree that the valley would be plentiful in food (and maybe timber), I simply assumed that the redoubt and the surrounding pass wouldn't have much in the way of space and shelter, and that the refugees wouldn't have imported many useable materials with them (being that it would all be from a ruined city.) So unless they could heavily exploit the valley's resources at first footing, their building materials and food supplies would be very minimal, especially during the first year. For many of the refugees, that is a course that I would probably doubt.
Man, this thread got quiet. What happened to everyone?
Man, this thread got quiet. What happened to everyone?

I guess we need some idea about what to discuss next...

Glad to see my demographic breakdown still surviving

Should we start listing off all of the citizens of the town?
Does this mean we're all in agreement? Is 69 a suitable amount of refugees? Is that including non-working population? (Are we just relenting? )

And did you want to tally off every person? Men, women, children, elderly, infirm? Or do we want to focus on just the notables, the people who will influence the story?

P.S. For the next summary, I'll post an outline of the thread to keep us both organized and inspired. I'll also include future topics that would be important elements to our project. If anyone has some suggestions on what topics we should discuss, feel free to let me know.
Does this mean we're all in agreement? Is 69 a suitable amount of refugees? Is that including non-working population? (Are we just relenting? )

I would go for either rounding to 70, or down to 68, just to stave off immature comments :P, but we can keep to PerennialRook's number.

If we go with the idea that the dragon attacked ,followed by the invasion some time later so that the initial refugees are actually prepared (albeit hastily) to start a settlement as opposed to fleeing with naught but the shirts upon their back, then this number can include the elderly and children.

I'd vote on using PR's tally
I will add my vote to the:
MODERATE POPULATION (69)

4 large groups, Three 3 to 4-person families each, plus 2 individuals: 47
3 small groups, Two 2-person families each, plus 2 individuals: 14
2 tiny groups, One 3-person family, plus 1 individual: 7

And So...
And did you want to tally off every person? Men, women, children, elderly, infirm? Or do we want to focus on just the notables, the people who will influence the story?

This shouldn't be necessary, but we can get a good head count to start with if we break it down like "John Doe, human woodworker, plus wife and son (2 adults, 1 child)", based around whatever npc one may invent to represent that group, followed by a short description.

We could break the tally down and take turns assigning parts like this:
(note - breakdowns like "six 4 person families" indicates an average)
(note 2 - My sort-of contribution is to enumerate the Dwarven Cartographer's family)

REFUGEE BREAKDOWN

HUMANS (26)

"Two large groups of humans (Six 4-person families), plus two individuals, the falconer and ???: 26 humans (16 adults, 8 children, 2 elderly)"
Family 1:
Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:
Family 5:
Family 6:
Individual 1: Ariana-Falconer and prodigal Noble (1 Adult)
Individual 2:
REMAINING - 15 Adults, 8 Children, 2 Elderly

DWARVES (12)

"One large group of dwarves (Three 4-person families), the family of the scholar/cartographer's extended family: 12 dwarves (6 adults, 2 children, 4 elderly)"
Family 1: Bobfin Axebreaker-Cartographer and Scholar, plus wife, grandson-barkeep, and his wife (2 Elderly, 2 Adults). Bobfin has seen his children succumb to the wandering nature of his youth, and without much success. He has committed too many of his children and grandchildren to the earth long before their time, and except his grandson and his wife, his few living decedents are scattered to the winds.
Family 2:
Family 3:
REMAINING - 4 Adults, 2 Children, 2 Elderly

HALFLINGS (9)

"One large group of halflings (Three 3-person families): 9 halflings (6 adults, 3 children)"
Family 1:
Family 2:
Family 3:
REMAINING - 6 Adults, 3 Children

DRAGONBORN (8)

"Two small groups of dragonborn (Four 2-person families): 8 dragonborn (4 adults, 4 children)."
Family 1:
Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:
REMAINING - 4 Adults, 4 Children

ELVES (4)

"One small group of elves (Two 2-person families): 4 elves (3 adults, 1 child)"
Family 1:
Family 2:
REMAINING - 3 Adults, 1 Child

HALF ELVES (2)

"Two individual half-elves, the bartender and the guard: 2 half-elves (2 adults)"
Individual 1: bartender? (1 adult)
Individual 2: guard? (1 adult)
REMAINING - 0

ELADRIN (7)

"Two tiny groups of eldarin (Two 3-person families), plus one individual: 7 eladrin (5 adult, 2 children)"
Family 1:
Family 2:
Individual 1:
REMAINING - 5 Adults, 2 Children

TIEFLING (1)

"I think that we can agree that Moses, the tiefling preist(ess), will be the solitary member of a species: 1 tiefling (1 adult!)"
Individual 1: Moses-Priest(ess?) (1 Adult)
REMAINING - 0

So, whoever comes along next can simply copy the refugee breakdown block, add their part, and the next person can copy the most recent block and continue. Soon, we'll have a good picture of our settlers.
I'll add my vote to the population breakdown. (By the way 69 was my figure :P but no worries.)

REFUGEE BREAKDOWN

HUMANS (26)

"Two large groups of humans (Six 4-person families), plus two individuals, the falconer and ???: 26 humans (16 adults, 8 children, 2 elderly)"
Family 1:
Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:
Family 5:
Family 6:
Individual 2:

DWARVES (12)

"One large group of dwarves (Three 4-person families), the family of the scholar/cartographer's extended family: 12 dwarves (6 adults, 2 children, 4 elderly)"
Family 1: Bobfin Axebreaker-Cartographer and Scholar, plus wife, grandson-barkeep, and his wife (2 Elderly, 2 Adults). Bobfin has seen his children succumb to the wandering nature of his youth, and without much success. He has committed too many of his children and grandchildren to the earth long before their time, and except his grandson and his wife, his few living decedents are scattered to the winds.
Family 2:
Family 3:

HALFLINGS (9)

"One large group of halflings (Three 3-person families): 9 halflings (6 adults, 3 children)"
Family 1:
Family 2:
Family 3:

DRAGONBORN (8)

"Two small groups of dragonborn (Four 2-person families): 8 dragonborn (4 adults, 4 children)."
Family 1:
Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:

ELVES (4)

Family 1:
Family 2:

HALF ELVES (2)

"Two individual half-elves, the bartender and the guard: 2 half-elves (2 adults)"
REMAINING - 0

ELADRIN (7)

"Two tiny groups of eldarin (Two 3-person families), plus one individual: 7 eladrin (5 adult, 2 children)"
Family 1:
Family 2:
Individual 1:

TIEFLING (1)

"I think that we can agree that Moses, the tiefling preist(ess), will be the solitary member of a species: 1 tiefling (1 adult!)"
REMAINING - 0

So, whoever comes along next can simply copy the refugee breakdown block, add their part, and the next person can copy the most recent block and continue. Soon, we'll have a good picture of our settlers.

I like this idea for a ledger-style breakdown block. I don't really have anything right now, but I'll try to come up with something over the weekend (new tile job, tomorrow's my third day doing tile; I am tired.) However, I'd like to add that if anyone has an idea for something unique or atypical, then post the idea before entering it into the "ledger". That way if anyone has some concerns about a character, they can be discussed and we can avoid passing over an NPC that might not fit.
For another character idea I propose two sisters who owned a flower shop in the old city. Although their expertise would be in flowers and floral arrangements, they should at least have enough knowledge about growing things to grow a small simple crop. They may struggle a bit as they learn to work with new types of plants, but they should be able to at least help a little bit.

I will say again that I like this idea, and I propose that the two sisters be a pair of elves. I know it is a little cliched (elves being "in tune" with plants and all) but I think it makes senses. If we say they are twins or close together in age, perhaps wanderlust took them both at nearly the same time and they decided to travel the world together. Considering their long lives, perhaps they decided to settle down in the city that was destroyed for a while to try spreading some of the beauty they found in their hometown and travels to a place they found lively (but drab?).

So my recommendation:
Small Family: Two elves: Sisters Pomi and Loti-florists in the previous city (previous non-heroic travelers/wanderers)

REFUGEE BREAKDOWN

HUMANS (26)

Family 1:
Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:
Family 5:
Family 6:
Individual 2:

DWARVES (12)

Family 2:
Family 3:

HALFLINGS (9)

Family 1:
Family 2:
Family 3:

DRAGONBORN (8)

Family 1:
Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:

ELVES (4)

Family 1: Sisters Pomi and Loti-florists in the previous city (previous non-heroic travelers/wanderers)
Family 2:

HALF ELVES (2)

REMAINING - 0

ELADRIN (7)

Family 1:
Family 2:
Individual 1:

TIEFLING (1)

REMAINING - 0

What happens when you cross a stream loving halfling and a stream of good luck? A halfling gold prospector! Sifting gold from the very streams he lives on, the young gold-seeking halfling, his newlywed wife, and brother make a fine addition to our group! Let me present:

(Proposed) Halfling Family 1: Garfunkel (the prospector) and Ginger Rabbitsnare and Garf's tag-along "little" brother Benji (3 adults; 2m, 1f).
This was supposed to be an easy hire. Or so the recruiter had claimed. Just standing guard in a city where the threat had already left. No problems, just routine watches from battered walls.

That's why Yorcha had brought her young cousin Yishi as her squire, hoping that the youngling would gain enough experience in the trade that she would actually settle down and work instead of craning her neck after every mage that walked past.

If only she had known that it wasn't over...

Proposal: 2 Dragonborn, 1 female adult (Yorcha, mercenary warrior), 1 female child (Yishi, 11 yr old squire, dreams of working magic)
Competition places
Winner of Hero Craftsmen 3: Gladiator Winner of Master Storyteller Competition 1: Ancient Ruins Gold Medallist in MDMC 38: Populate a map I placed first (that's right, FIRST!) in the second CowCon: "We All get Old" Contest! Gold Medallist in MDMC 42: Create a Remote Location Winner of Master Storyteller Competition 7: I am Legend Best in Category: Rules Use - Hero Craftsman 17 Best in Category: Clarity - Hero Craftsman 17 Second place in Master Storyteller Competition 6: Fall from Grace Silver Medallist in MDMC 32: Magic Item Spectacular Joint Silver in Hero Craftsmen 6: The Frostfell Silver medallist in Hero Craftsman 17: We're going Underground! Silver Medalist in Hero Craftsman 18: We need a Hero! Silver Medalist in Hero Craftsman 20: Back to School
Show
http://drewbaker.com/warlord/images/group9/Durga.jpg Now that's a half-orc! Like Joe Wood? Meet Gwen. http://tinyurl.com/ringofnine
If you think commoners can't do anything, you should meet Joe Wood! The pen is mightier than the sword - but only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett Methinks (still) wizards bit off more than they can chew. fantasy-28.gif
What happens when you cross a stream loving halfling and a stream of good luck? A halfling gold prospector! Sifting gold from the very streams he lives on, the young gold-seeking halfling, his newlywed wife, and brother make a fine addition to our group! Let me present:

(Proposed) Halfling Family 1: Garfunkel (the prospector) and Ginger Rabbitsnare and Garf's tag-along "little" brother Benji (3 adults; 2m, 1f).

This was supposed to be an easy hire. Or so the recruiter had claimed. Just standing guard in a city where the threat had already left. No problems, just routine watches from battered walls.

That's why Yorcha had brought her young cousin Yishi as her squire, hoping that the youngling would gain enough experience in the trade that she would actually settle down and work instead of craning her neck after every mage that walked past.

Proposal: 2 Dragonborn, 1 female adult (Yorcha, mercenary warrior), 1 female child (Yishi, 11 yr old squire, dreams of working magic)

Adding these two to the racial breakdown gives us:

REFUGEE BREAKDOWN

HUMANS (26)

Family 1:
Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:
Family 5:
Family 6:
Individual 2:

DWARVES (12)

Family 2:
Family 3:

HALFLINGS (9)

Family 1: Garfunkel (the prospector) and Ginger Rabbitsnare and Garf's tag-along "little" brother Benji (3 adults; 2m, 1f).
Family 2:
Family 3:
REMAINING - 3 Adults, 3 Children

DRAGONBORN (8)

Family 1: Yorcha (mercenary warrior) and Yishi (squire, dreams of working magic) (1 adult, 1 child; 2f)
Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:

ELVES (4)

Family 1: Sisters Pomi and Loti - florists in the previous city (previous non-heroic travelers/wanderers) (2 adults; 2f)
Family 2:
REMAINING - 1 Adult, 1 Child

HALF ELVES (2)

REMAINING - 0

ELADRIN (7)

Family 1:
Family 2:
Individual 1:

TIEFLING (1)

REMAINING - 0

None of these suggestions seem controversial to me, but if there is opposition, I'll remove them from the list.

I'll Add my own halfling family: Janis, F halfling woodswoman, and her two twin sons (1 Adult, 2 Children). Janis and her late husband spent a lot of time in on the rivers and in the nearby forests, but when her husband died when her sons were infants, Janis settled down to care for them. Janis found a friend in Ariana the falconer, and taught her much of what she knows of the forests.

Including Kage_no_Neko's elves, PerrenialRook's Halflings, and Heros-Backpack's Dragonborn, as well as mine, we have:

REFUGEE BREAKDOWN

HUMANS (26)

Family 1:
Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:
Family 5:
Family 6:
Individual 2:

DWARVES (12)

Family 2:
Family 3:

HALFLINGS (9)

Family 1: Garfunkel (the prospector) and Ginger Rabbitsnare and Garf's tag-along "little" brother Benji (3 adults; 2m, 1f)
What happens when you cross a stream loving halfling and a stream of good luck? A halfling gold prospector! Sifting gold from the very streams he lives on, the young gold-seeking halfling, his newlywed wife, and brother make a fine addition to our group!
Family 2: Janis, F halfling woodswoman, and her two twin sons (1 Adult, 2 Children).
Janis and her late husband spent a lot of time in on the rivers and in the nearby forests, but when her husband died when her sons were infants, Janis settled down to care for them. Janis found a friend in Ariana the falconer, and taught her much of what she knows of the forests.
Family 3:
REMAINING - 2 Adults, 1 Child

DRAGONBORN (8)

Family 1: 2 Dragonborn, 1 female adult (Yorcha, mercenary warrior), 1 female child (Yishi, 11 yr old squire, dreams of working magic)
This was supposed to be an easy hire. Or so the recruiter had claimed. Just standing guard in a city where the threat had already left. No problems, just routine watches from battered walls. That's why Yorcha had brought her young cousin Yishi as her squire, hoping that the youngling would gain enough experience in the trade that she would actually settle down and work instead of craning her neck after every mage that walked past. If only she had known that it wasn't over...
Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:

ELVES (4)

Family 1: Sisters Pomi and Loti-florists in the previous city (previous non-heroic travelers/wanderers) (2 Adults)
Family 2:

HALF ELVES (2)

REMAINING - 0

ELADRIN (7)

Family 1:
Family 2:
Individual 1:

TIEFLING (1)

REMAINING - 0

None of these suggestions seem controversial to me, but if there is opposition, I'll remove them from the list.

I think that it is safe to keep adding until someone brings up an objection to a post. If push comes to shove, we can add some slots. Nothing is set in stone until OP of the 4E TBACT (which is what we are establishing here and now).

A quote to set up my next suggestion:

El(adrin) are blessed with extraordinarily long life spans and graceful, easy aging process... El(adrin) do eventually age, but their aging takes a form not seen in other races. Their faces remain unlined, their hair remains ungrayed, and their skin remains smooth and strong, but middle-aged el(adrin) begin to develop a sort of etherealness... el(adrin) undergo a living transformation form beings of flesh and blood to beings of spirit and light, for lack of a better description.
~Races of the Wild

With that out of the way, here is my next suggestion for a family:

Aust Amakiir lives only half in the world. As his body passes into the ether his soul seems to shine through it like a light. He is not long for the world, which may explain why he seemed as serene as ever while the dragon streaked like a bright golden meteor above the darkened streets of the city.

Amakiir [meaning: beautiful silence of dusk] fancies himself a loremaster, which offers the other explanation as to why he was so calm. He knew. Though it is only speculation, it would explain his timely arrival in the city, the countless hours in the library, and how some books just happened to be in his possession rather than at the library when it burned to the ground.

He arrived in town with two young eladrin, Tier, who he introduced as a nephew, and Sylvia his nephew's bride. Tier has a quick wit, and a quick blade, and never strays far from the company of his uncle. Tier seems to be more of guard and escort than young nephew, though Sylvia seems to genuinely be espoused to Tier.

REFUGEE BREAKDOWN

HUMANS (26)

Family 1:
Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:
Family 5:
Family 6:
Individual 2:

DWARVES (12)

Family 2:
Family 3:

HALFLINGS (9)

Family 1: Garfunkel (the prospector) and Ginger Rabbitsnare and Garf's tag-along "little" brother Benji (3 adults; 2m, 1f)
What happens when you cross a stream loving halfling and a stream of good luck? A halfling gold prospector! Sifting gold from the very streams he lives on, the young gold-seeking halfling, his newlywed wife, and brother make a fine addition to our group!
Family 2: Janis, F halfling woodswoman, and her two twin sons (1 Adult, 2 Children).
Janis and her late husband spent a lot of time in on the rivers and in the nearby forests, but when her husband died when her sons were infants, Janis settled down to care for them. Janis found a friend in Ariana the falconer, and taught her much of what she knows of the forests.
Family 3:
REMAINING - 2 Adults, 1 Child

DRAGONBORN (8)

Family 1: 2 Dragonborn, 1 female adult (Yorcha, mercenary warrior), 1 female child (Yishi, 11 yr old squire, dreams of working magic)
This was supposed to be an easy hire. Or so the recruiter had claimed. Just standing guard in a city where the threat had already left. No problems, just routine watches from battered walls. That's why Yorcha had brought her young cousin Yishi as her squire, hoping that the youngling would gain enough experience in the trade that she would actually settle down and work instead of craning her neck after every mage that walked past. If only she had known that it wasn't over...
Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:

ELVES (4)

Family 1: Sisters Pomi and Loti-florists in the previous city (previous non-heroic travelers/wanderers) (2 Adults)
Family 2:

HALF ELVES (2)

REMAINING - 0

ELADRIN (7)

Family 1: Aust Amakiir (lorekeeper), his "nephew" Tier (escort), and Slyvia (2 adult, 1 venerable; 2m, 1f).
Family 2:
Individual 1:
REMAINING - 2 Adults, 2 Children

TIEFLING (1)

REMAINING - 0

*Grumble, grumble, downtime ate my first try*

It was originally part dare, part coming of age celebration (apart from someone's tag-along kid sister determined to prove she was just as good as the rest of them). They were all going to climb the lighthouse and wave flags from the top. Gillybloom was leading the way when the beast broke out, hurling them all in different directions. Gillybloom and two others were lucky enough to land in the softish mud of the riverbank, but they haven't seen any of their friends since. These three, Gillybloom, Taffle and Tansy, now stick together as a personal reminder not to be so foolish again.

Halflings: Gillybloom (f), Taffle (m), Tansy (f child)

REFUGEE BREAKDOWN

HUMANS (26)

Family 1:
Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:
Family 5:
Family 6:
Individual 2:

DWARVES (12)

Family 2:
Family 3:

HALFLINGS (9)

Family 3: Gillybloom (f), Taffle (m), Tansy (f child) (2 adults, 1 child)
It was originally part dare, part coming of age celebration (apart from someone's tag-along kid sister determined to prove she was just as good as the rest of them). They were all going to climb the lighthouse and wave flags from the top. Gillybloom was leading the way when the beast broke out, hurling them all in different directions. Gillybloom and two others were lucky enough to land in the softish mud of the riverbank, but they haven't seen any of their friends since. These three, Gillybloom, Taffle and Tansy, now stick together as a personal reminder not to be so foolish again.
REMAINING - 0

DRAGONBORN (8)

Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:

ELVES (4)

Family 2:

HALF ELVES (2)

REMAINING - 0

ELADRIN (7)

Family 1: Aust Amakiir (lorekeeper), his "nephew" Tier (escort), and Slyvia (2 adult, 1 venerable; 2m, 1f).
Family 2:
Individual 1:

TIEFLING (1)

REMAINING - 0

Competition places
Winner of Hero Craftsmen 3: Gladiator Winner of Master Storyteller Competition 1: Ancient Ruins Gold Medallist in MDMC 38: Populate a map I placed first (that's right, FIRST!) in the second CowCon: "We All get Old" Contest! Gold Medallist in MDMC 42: Create a Remote Location Winner of Master Storyteller Competition 7: I am Legend Best in Category: Rules Use - Hero Craftsman 17 Best in Category: Clarity - Hero Craftsman 17 Second place in Master Storyteller Competition 6: Fall from Grace Silver Medallist in MDMC 32: Magic Item Spectacular Joint Silver in Hero Craftsmen 6: The Frostfell Silver medallist in Hero Craftsman 17: We're going Underground! Silver Medalist in Hero Craftsman 18: We need a Hero! Silver Medalist in Hero Craftsman 20: Back to School
Show
http://drewbaker.com/warlord/images/group9/Durga.jpg Now that's a half-orc! Like Joe Wood? Meet Gwen. http://tinyurl.com/ringofnine
If you think commoners can't do anything, you should meet Joe Wood! The pen is mightier than the sword - but only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett Methinks (still) wizards bit off more than they can chew. fantasy-28.gif
I guess I'll toss in a Human or four...

Koren-Human carpenter, plus wife and two sons (2 Adults, 2 Children)
Koren grew up in a seaside city, learning his father's trade and becoming an accomplished shipwright. When he lost both of his brothers to the sea, he closed up shop and moved inland, where he as worked as a carpenter in [Old City]. While much work was available in [Old City] after the dragon attack, Moses convinced him that the attack was not over. Since moving to [Old City], he has bowed to the demands of his customers and kept to the prevailing styles of the city, but now he feels a renewal of his youthful ambitions and dreams, and Koren thinks he can make a mark in this new settlement, artistically speaking.

REFUGEE BREAKDOWN

HUMANS (26)

Family 1: Koren-Human carpenter, plus wife and two sons (2 Adults, 2 Children)
Koren grew up in a seaside city, learning his father's trade and becoming an accomplished shipwright. When he lost both of his brothers to the sea, he closed up shop and moved inland, where he as worked as a carpenter in [Old City]. While much work was available in [Old City] after the dragon attack, Moses convinced him that the attack was not over. Since moving to [Old City], he has bowed to the demands of his customers and kept to the prevailing styles of the city, but now he feels a renewal of his youthful ambitions and dreams, and Koren thinks he can make a mark in this new settlement, artistically speaking.
Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:
Family 5:
Family 6:
Individual 2:

DWARVES (12)

Family 2:
Family 3:

HALFLINGS (9)

REMAINING - 0

DRAGONBORN (8)

Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:

ELVES (4)

Family 2:

HALF ELVES (2)

REMAINING - 0

ELADRIN (7)

Family 2:
Individual 1:

TIEFLING (1)

REMAINING - 0

*pants and wheezes* Phwew! I've finally caught up to you guys!

Anyway, excellent thread! I like the fact that this is carrying over into 4e before its coming out. If one were to use this city as a point in a campaign (the beginning point, or even [Old City) they would have a lot at their disposal to work with beforehand, instead of having to come up with stuff on the fly.

That being said, I did have some thoughts about the Falconer and her quasi-nobility. I was thinking that perhaps the reason that she was not involved as much with the other nobility could be two-fold-

If this is a "realistic" kind of town for the proposed time period, she could have been scoffed or shunned because she was a woman. I don't much like this, however, as it drags with it some other things that really aren't terribly important to the actual project here.

Secondly, she could have spent a lot more time out in the wilderness than actually tending to her noble-duties. A thought here is (I might have missed if this was already covered, sorry) that she was the person to originally suggest the Redoubt, since she knew where it was and the lay of the land pretty well.

Some other things that I thougth I'd toss out there are that I really like the Dire Snapping Turtle and such being used. I think that creating a mostly-working ecology for the surrounding area would also be important. Other things to think about are the fact that if there are Elves in the forest, maybe the refugees could ask for assistance with (crops, hunting, whatever) in the new area in exchange for... Something.

Other than that, I think that we should definitely hold back on there being too many "high CR" wildlife creatures in the areas surrounding the Redoubt, for several reasons.
*pants and wheezes* Phwew! I've finally caught up to you guys!

Yeah, we tend to ramble on. Sorry. Welcome!

Anyway, excellent thread! I like the fact that this is carrying over into 4e before its coming out. If one were to use this city as a point in a campaign (the beginning point, or even [Old City) they would have a lot at their disposal to work with beforehand, instead of having to come up with stuff on the fly.

I'm using the TBACT2 in my campaign right now. It's really fun having a very dynamic city that players can really make a difference in (as opposed to most campaign setting cities).

That being said, I did have some thoughts about the Falconer and her quasi-nobility. I was thinking that perhaps the reason that she was not involved as much with the other nobility could be two-fold-

If this is a "realistic" kind of town for the proposed time period, she could have been scoffed or shunned because she was a woman. I don't much like this, however, as it drags with it some other things that really aren't terribly important to the actual project here.

Secondly, she could have spent a lot more time out in the wilderness than actually tending to her noble-duties. A thought here is (I might have missed if this was already covered, sorry) that she was the person to originally suggest the Redoubt, since she knew where it was and the lay of the land pretty well.

I think your second point is more along the lines of what she is about. She was also described as being tomboyish. I will note however that the dwarven cartographer was mentioned as the first to suggest the redoubt, since he had heard rumors about it in his old military days. It would be an interresting aside, since (according to my short explanation) Ariana was one of the three to discuss leaving, that she might have run cross it before in her woodland travels. Good idea!

Some other things that I thougth I'd toss out there are that I really like the Dire Snapping Turtle and such being used. I think that creating a mostly-working ecology for the surrounding area would also be important. Other things to think about are the fact that if there are Elves in the forest, maybe the refugees could ask for assistance with (crops, hunting, whatever) in the new area in exchange for... Something.

In exchange for being a terrible burden, you mean. This was discussed once, and several people voiced their opinions about how it would make life too easy for the refugees. They may come along later, when the refugee city becomes comfortable and starts adventuring out farther into the wild, running across the elves. I can see the conversation now...

Oh, and Giant dire snapping tortoises rock!

Other than that, I think that we should definitely hold back on there being too many "high CR" wildlife creatures in the areas surrounding the Redoubt, for several reasons.

If by wildlife, you mean mundane animals, I agree. Though wolf packs with one or two dire wolves (werewolves? werewolf lords?) may include the area around the redoubt as part of their territory. I imagine that they only come to hunt the tortoise population inn the worst winters when easier prey is scarce.
*Grumble, grumble, downtime ate my first try*

snip

Halflings: Gillybloom (f), Taffle (m), Tansy (f child)

Bad luck, mate.

Might I ask what these halflings do (other than cause trouble)? If they were coming of age (just barely adults), had they been apprenticed in any halfling trade?

Hero's_Backpack's post brings up another good point: Who didn't survive? Is the family/group in tact? Is Joe Wood sick with filth fever? All good things to think about.

I also really like the carpenter with a sense of style! Way to go Khopesh122.

Another thing to consider is what supplies each family can bring to the table. Some of the human families from the surrounding farms may have draft horses that survived the attack, and seeds they intended to plant next year... Hopefully the carpenter has his master's set of tools with him.

If anyone is counting. That's it for halflings, half-elves, and tielfings.

Updated Breakdown:

REFUGEE BREAKDOWN

HUMANS (26)

City Family 1: Koren (carpenter), plus wife and two sons (2 Adults, 2 Children; 3m, 1f)
City Family 2:
City Family 3:
Farm Family 1:
Farm Family 2:
Farm Family 3:
Individual 2:

DWARVES (12)

Family 2:
Family 3:

HALFLINGS (9)

REMAINING - 0

DRAGONBORN (8)

Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:

ELVES (4)

Family 2:

HALF ELVES (2)

REMAINING - 0

ELADRIN (7)

Family 2:
Individual 1:

TIEFLING (1)

REMAINING - 0

Another thing to consider is what supplies each family can bring to the table. Some of the human families from the surrounding farms may have draft horses that survived the attack, and seeds they intended to plant next year... Hopefully the carpenter has his master's set of tools with him.

If anyone is counting. That's it for halflings, half-elves, and tielfings.

The Half elves need some fleshing out still, however.
In the tradition on non-family families:

Jackson was wrangling cattle on a drive in the high hills when the city burnt down. The distant flames seemed to light up his eyes against the canvas of his dark skin in the shadows of the night. He immediately alerted the other ten or so wranglers and shouted orders that the cattle be driven to a nearby shelter. He didn't know that the assailant was on the wing.

Jackson's first thoughts were of Ariana. He thought she had said she was coming back to the city today. For once he hoped that she was late.

They were headed back to the large natural cavern that was oft used as a barn when moving cattle across the old fields, when they were overtaken suddenly by a flaming streak of gold. Some cattle burnt where they stood, instantly dying in the intense heat of the flames. The rest ran.

In the chaos of the aftermath, Jackson could only find three other wranglers. The cattle were so long gone, it would have been futile to try and find them all. Jackson needed to get back to visit the city.

REFUGEE BREAKDOWN

HUMANS (26)

City Family 1: Koren (carpenter), plus wife and two sons (2 Adults, 2 Children; 3m, 1f)
Description

City Family 2:
City Family 3:
Farm Family 1: Jackson and three other cattle wranglers and ranch hands (4 adults; 3m, 1f).
Description
The distant flames seemed to light up his eyes against the canvas of his dark skin in the shadows of the night. His first thoughts were of Ariana. He thought she had said she was coming back to the city today. For once he hoped that she was late.

In the chaos of the aftermath, Jackson could only find three other wranglers. The cattle were so long gone, it would have been futile to try and find them all. Jackson needed to get back to visit the city.

Farm Family 2:
Farm Family 3:
Individual 2:
REMAINING - 9 Adults, 6 Children, 2 Elderly
DWARVES (12)

Family 1: Bobfin Axebreaker-Cartographer and Scholar, plus wife, grandson-barkeep, and his wife (2 Elderly, 2 Adults).
Description
Bobfin has seen his children succumb to the wandering nature of his youth, and without much success. He has committed too many of his children and grandchildren to the earth long before their time, and except his grandson and his wife, his few living decedents are scattered to the winds.

Family 2:
Family 3:
HALFLINGS (9)

Description
Description
Description

Before the [Old City} was attacked, Gillybloom was learning to scout ahead and around and Taffle is an apprentice sail & rope-maker. Tansy is still a generalist, used to pitching in with any task that needs help.

REMAINING - 0
DRAGONBORN (8)

Description

Family 2:
Family 3:
Family 4:
ELVES (4)

Family 1: Sisters Pomi and Loti-florists in the previous city (previous non-heroic travelers/wanderers) (2 Adults; 2f)
Family 2:
HALF ELVES (2)

REMAINING - 0
ELADRIN (7)

Description
Aust Amakiir lives only half in the world. As his body passes into the ether his soul seems to shine through it like a light. He is not long for the world, which may explain why he seemed as serene as ever while the dragon streaked like a bright golden meteor above the darkened streets of the city.

Amakiir [meaning: beautiful silence of dusk] fancies himself a loremaster, which offers the other explanation as to why he was so calm. He knew. Though it is only speculation, it would explain his timely arrival in the city, the countless hours in the library, and how some books just happened to be in his possession rather than at the library when it burned to the ground.

He arrived in town with two young eladrin, Tier, who he introduced as a nephew, and Sylvia his nephew's bride. Tier has a quick wit, and a quick blade, and never strays far from the company of his uncle. Tier seems to be more of guard and escort than young nephew, though Sylvia seems to genuinely be espoused to Tier.

Family 2:
Individual 1:
TIEFLING (1)

"I think that we can agree that Moses, the tiefling preistess, will be the solitary member of a species: 1 tiefling (1 adult!)"
Individual 1: Moses-Priestess (1 Adult; 1f)
REMAINING - 0

Might I ask what these halflings do (other than cause trouble)? If they were coming of age (just barely adults), had they been apprenticed in any halfling trade?

Sorry, that must have been one of the bits I forgot to type in again. Gillybloom was learning to scout ahead and around and Taffle is an apprentice sail & rope-maker. Tansy is still a generalist, used to pitching in with any task that needs help.
Competition places
Show

Updated Breakdown

REFUGEE BREAKDOWN

HUMANS: Two large groups (six 4-person families), plus two individuals.
Total: 26 humans (16 adults, 8 children, 2 elderly).
Open: 9 adults, 6 children, 2 elderly.
Breakdown

City Family 1
Koren (carpenter), plus wife and two sons (2 Adults, 2 Children; 3m, 1f)

Description: Koren grew up in a seaside city, learning his father's trade and becoming an accomplished shipwright. When he lost both of his brothers to the sea, he closed up shop and moved inland, where he as worked as a carpenter in [Old City]. While much work was available in [Old City] after the dragon attack, Moses convinced him that the attack was not over. Since moving to [Old City], he has bowed to the demands of his customers and kept to the prevailing styles of the city, but now he feels a renewal of his youthful ambitions and dreams, and Koren thinks he can make a mark in this new settlement, artistically speaking.
Farm Family 1
Jackson and three other cattle wranglers and ranch hands (4 adults; 3m, 1f).

Description: The distant flames seemed to light up his eyes against the canvas of his dark skin in the shadows of the night. His first thoughts were of Ariana. He thought she had said she was coming back to the city today. For once he hoped that she was late.

Individual 1
Ariana: falconer and prodigal noble (1 Adult; 1f).

Description: (Needed)

DWARVES: One large group (three 4-person families).
Total: 12 (6 adults, 2 children, 4 elderly).
Open: 4 adults, 2 children, 2 elderly.
Breakdown

Family 1
Bobfin Axebreaker cartographer and scholar, and his wife. Also his grandson, a barkeep from the [Old City], and the grandson's wife (2 Elderly, 2 Adults; 2m, 2f).

Description: Bobfin has seen his children succumb to the wandering nature of his youth, and without much success. He has committed too many of his children and grandchildren to the earth long before their time, and except his grandson and his wife, his few living decedents are scattered to the winds.

HALFLINGS One large group of halflings (three 3-person families).
Total: 9 halflings (6 adults, 3 children).
Breakdown

Family 1
Garfunkel (prospector) and Ginger Rabbitsnare and Garf's tag-along "little" brother Benji (3 adults; 2m, 1f)

Description: What happens when you cross a stream loving halfling and a stream of good luck? A halfling gold prospector! Sifting gold from the very streams he lives on, the young gold-seeking halfling, his newlywed wife, and brother make a fine addition to our group!
Family 2
Janis (woodswoman), and her two twin sons (1 Adult, 2 Children; 2m; 1f)

Description: Janis and her late husband spent a lot of time in on the rivers and in the nearby forests, but when her husband died when her sons were infants, Janis settled down to care for them. Janis found a friend in Ariana the falconer, and taught her much of what she knows of the forests.
Family 3
Gillybloom (f), Taffle (m), Tansy (f child) (2 adults, 1 child; 1m, 2f)

Description: It was originally part dare, part coming of age celebration (apart from someone's tag-along kid sister determined to prove she was just as good as the rest of them). They were all going to climb the lighthouse and wave flags from the top. Gillybloom was leading the way when the beast broke out, hurling them all in different directions. Gillybloom and two others were lucky enough to land in the softish mud of the riverbank, but they haven't seen any of their friends since. These three, Gillybloom, Taffle and Tansy, now stick together as a personal reminder not to be so foolish again.

Before the [Old City} was attacked, Gillybloom was learning to scout ahead and around and Taffle is an apprentice sail & rope-maker. Tansy is still a generalist, used to pitching in with any task that needs help.

DRAGONBORN: Two small groups (four 2-person families).
Total: 8 (4 adults, 4 children).
Open: 3 adults, 3 children.
Breakdown

Family 1
Yorcha (mercenary warrior), and Yishi, her 11 yr old squire with dreams of working magic(1 adult, 1 child; 2f)

Description: This was supposed to be an easy hire. Or so the recruiter had claimed. Just standing guard in a city where the threat had already left. No problems, just routine watches from battered walls. That's why Yorcha had brought her young cousin Yishi as her squire, hoping that the youngling would gain enough experience in the trade that she would actually settle down and work instead of craning her neck after every mage that walked past. If only she had known that it wasn't over...

ELVES: One small group (two 2-person families).
Total: 4 elves (3 adults, 1 child)
Open: 1 adult, 1 child
Breakdown

Family 1
Sisters Pomi and Loti, wanderers who had most recently been florists in [Old City] (2 adults; 2f).

HALF ELVES: Two individuals (2 adults).
Total: 2 (2 adults)
Breakdown

Individual 1 (semi-open)
bartender? (1 adult; 1f)
Individual 1 (semi-open)
guard? (1 adult; 1m)

ELADRIN: Two tiny groups (two 3-person families), plus one individual.
Total: 7 (4 adult, 2 children, 1 venerable).
Open: 2 adults, 2 children.
Breakdown

Family 1
Aust Amakiir (lorekeeper), his "nephew" Tier (escort), and Slyvia (2 adult, 1 venerable; 2m, 1f).

Description: Aust Amakiir lives only half in the world. As his body passes into the ether his soul seems to shine through it like a light. He is not long for the world, which may explain why he seemed as serene as ever while the dragon streaked like a bright golden meteor above the darkened streets of the city.

TIEFLING: One individual.
Total: 1 (1 adult)
Breakdown

Individual 1
Moses, the tiefling preistess (1 adult; 1f).

I played through month 10 of the TBACT2 tonight. Some of the best stuff came from the player's interaction with the living city. Next week they will be joining Sailstrom on his adventures into the old ruins on the other side of the island to retrieve the giant ruby!
Nan Kya is unofficial third granny to many of the children in the slum quarter of [Old City] and when disaster struck and scattered their families, it was Nan Kya that the lost children gravitated to. In the days that followed, most of the children were reclaimed by their parents, older siblings and street gangs, but three remain with nowhere else to go and Kya has taken them under her wing.

Although justifiably renowned for her ability to make even the poorest food taste good, it is in fact the medical side of her herb lore that the local adults revere. Nan Kya, they say, is the person to turn to when you can't go to the temples and the official healers or alchemists - for whatever reason, be it cost, or fear, or simply having a bounty on your head.

Nan Kya (cook and herbalist), Jessie (stablegirl), Tam (linkboy) and Rat (mudlarker and occasional pickpocket) who currently has a badly sprained leg.

REFUGEE BREAKDOWN

HUMANS: Two large groups (six 4-person families), plus two individuals.
Total: 26 humans (16 adults, 8 children, 2 elderly).
Open: 9 adults, 3 children, 1 elderly.
Breakdown

City Family 1
Koren (carpenter), plus wife and two sons (2 Adults, 2 Children; 3m, 1f)

Description: Koren grew up in a seaside city, learning his father's trade and becoming an accomplished shipwright. When he lost both of his brothers to the sea, he closed up shop and moved inland, where he as worked as a carpenter in [Old City]. While much work was available in [Old City] after the dragon attack, Moses convinced him that the attack was not over. Since moving to [Old City], he has bowed to the demands of his customers and kept to the prevailing styles of the city, but now he feels a renewal of his youthful ambitions and dreams, and Koren thinks he can make a mark in this new settlement, artistically speaking.
City Family 2
Nan Kya (cook and herbalist), Jessie (stablegirl), Tam (linkboy) and Rat (mudlarker and occasional pickpocket) who currently has a badly sprained leg. (1 elderly, 3 children, 2m, 2f)

Description Nan Kya is unofficial third granny to many of the children in the slum quarter of [Old City] and when disaster struck and scattered their families, it was Nan Kya that the lost children gravitated to. In the days that followed, most of the children were reclaimed by their parents, older siblings and street gangs, but three remain with nowhere else to go and Kya has taken them under her wing.

Although justifiably renowned for her ability to make even the poorest food taste good, it is in fact the medical side of her herb lore that the local adults revere. Nan Kya, they say, is the person to turn to when you can't go to the temples and the official healers or alchemists - for whatever reason, be it cost, or fear, or simply having a bounty on your head.
Farm Family 1
Jackson and three other cattle wranglers and ranch hands (4 adults; 3m, 1f).

Description: The distant flames seemed to light up his eyes against the canvas of his dark skin in the shadows of the night. His first thoughts were of Ariana. He thought she had said she was coming back to the city today. For once he hoped that she was late.

Individual 1
Ariana: falconer and prodigal noble (1 Adult; 1f).

DWARVES: One large group (three 4-person families).
Total: 12 (6 adults, 2 children, 4 elderly).
Open: 4 adults, 2 children, 2 elderly.
Breakdown

Family 1
Bobfin Axebreaker cartographer and scholar, and his wife. Also his grandson, a barkeep from the [Old City], and the grandson's wife (2 Elderly, 2 Adults; 2m, 2f).

Description: Bobfin has seen his children succumb to the wandering nature of his youth, and without much success. He has committed too many of his children and grandchildren to the earth long before their time, and except his grandson and his wife, his few living decedents are scattered to the winds.

HALFLINGS One large group of halflings (three 3-person families).
Total: 9 halflings (6 adults, 3 children).
Breakdown

Family 1
Garfunkel (prospector) and Ginger Rabbitsnare and Garf's tag-along "little" brother Benji (3 adults; 2m, 1f)

Description: What happens when you cross a stream loving halfling and a stream of good luck? A halfling gold prospector! Sifting gold from the very streams he lives on, the young gold-seeking halfling, his newlywed wife, and brother make a fine addition to our group!
Family 2
Janis (woodswoman), and her two twin sons (1 Adult, 2 Children; 2m; 1f)

Description: Janis and her late husband spent a lot of time in on the rivers and in the nearby forests, but when her husband died when her sons were infants, Janis settled down to care for them. Janis found a friend in Ariana the falconer, and taught her much of what she knows of the forests.
Family 3
Gillybloom (f), Taffle (m), Tansy (f child) (2 adults, 1 child; 1m, 2f)

Description: It was originally part dare, part coming of age celebration (apart from someone's tag-along kid sister determined to prove she was just as good as the rest of them). They were all going to climb the lighthouse and wave flags from the top. Gillybloom was leading the way when the beast broke out, hurling them all in different directions. Gillybloom and two others were lucky enough to land in the softish mud of the riverbank, but they haven't seen any of their friends since. These three, Gillybloom, Taffle and Tansy, now stick together as a personal reminder not to be so foolish again.

DRAGONBORN: Two small groups (four 2-person families).
Total: 8 (4 adults, 4 children).
Open: 3 adults, 3 children.
Breakdown

Family 1
Yorcha (mercenary warrior), and Yishi, her 11 yr old squire with dreams of working magic(1 adult, 1 child; 2f)

Description: This was supposed to be an easy hire. Or so the recruiter had claimed. Just standing guard in a city where the threat had already left. No problems, just routine watches from battered walls.

ELVES: One small group (two 2-person families).
Total: 4 elves (3 adults, 1 child)
Open: 1 adult, 1 child
Breakdown

Family 1
Sisters Pomi and Loti, wanderers who had most recently been florists in [Old City] (2 adults; 2f).

HALF ELVES: Two individuals (2 adults).
Total: 2 (2 adults)
Breakdown

Individual 1 (semi-open)
bartender? (1 adult; 1f)
Individual 1 (semi-open)
guard? (1 adult; 1m)

ELADRIN: Two tiny groups (two 3-person families), plus one individual.
Total: 7 (4 adult, 2 children, 1 venerable).
Open: 2 adults, 2 children.
Breakdown

Family 1
Aust Amakiir (lorekeeper), his "nephew" Tier (escort), and Slyvia (2 adult, 1 venerable; 2m, 1f).

Description: Aust Amakiir lives only half in the world. As his body passes into the ether his soul seems to shine through it like a light. He is not long for the world, which may explain why he seemed as serene as ever while the dragon streaked like a bright golden meteor above the darkened streets of the city.

TIEFLING: One individual.
Total: 1 (1 adult)
Breakdown

Individual 1
Moses, the tiefling priestess (1 adult; 1f).

Competition places
Show
Nan Kya is unofficial third granny to many of the children in the slum quarter of [Old City] and when disaster struck and scattered their families, it was Nan Kya that the lost children gravitated to. In the days that followed, most of the children were reclaimed by their parents, older siblings and street gangs, but three remain with nowhere else to go and Kya has taken them under her wing.

Nan Kya (cook and herbalist), Jessie (stablegirl), Tam (linkboy) and Rat (mudlarker and occasional pickpocket) who currently has a badly sprained leg.

Talk about obscure. I had to google the two "jobs" that the boys had. That is awesome. Kudos to you, and a .
Talk about obscure. I had to google the two "jobs" that the boys had. That is awesome. Kudos to you, and a .

*pulls off historian's hat in a hurry*

I didn't mean to be quite that obscure. I just got to wondering what children might do to earn money and my inner historian took over.

For anyone who doesn't want to spend time on google, a "linkboy" carries a lantern for richer people to see where they're going and a "mudlarker" scavenges along beaches and riverbanks for stuff they can sell/use.

*eats cookie quickly behind hat*
Competition places
Show
Here is my suggestion for the other individual human, and the half-elf bartender, but I'd like to get some input before we add it to the breakdown of the refugees:

Jor'el was an elf friend, loving the company of the fair folk. He had learned his trade in their woods, and was remarked by all to have remarkably nimble lutenist's fingers. His voice danced on the wind in the wild as he traveled about the world, catching celebrations everywhere he could.

He had been to [Old City]'s Summer Solstice Celebration many times before, and always made a point to catch it. The year of the spellwarped dragon was no different.

Unbeknownst to Jor'el, he had a daughter, Mililani. She was the other reason that the twins Pomi and Loti had stayed in [Old City]. One of them was her mother, though they had never said who, and who could tell. They had both raised her in the absence of a father, and she called both of them mother.

In fact, Jor'el had met Mililani many times. She was a bartender, he a traveling minstrel, so they had enjoyed each other's company on several occasions.
Here is my suggestion for the other individual human, and the half-elf bartender, but I'd like to get some input before we add it to the breakdown of the refugees:

Jor'el was an elf friend, loving the company of the fair folk. He had learned his trade in their woods, and was remarked by all to have remarkably nimble lutenist's fingers. His voice danced on the wind in the wild as he traveled about the world, catching celebrations everywhere he could.

Ok so far, but I'd change the name. Wasn't Jor'el Superman's dad? Maybe Jarrel or J'rell or Georrel.

He had been to [Old City]'s Summer Solstice Celebration many times before, and always made a point to catch it. The year of the spellwarped dragon was no different.

Unbeknownst to Jor'el, he had a daughter, Mililani. She was the other reason that the twins Pomi and Loti had stayed in [Old City]. One of them was her mother, though they had never said who, and who could tell. They had both raised her in the absence of a father, and she called both of them mother.

In fact, Jor'el had met Mililani many times. She was a bartender, he a traveling minstrel, so they had enjoyed each other's company on several occasions.

Eeeew?
Ok so far, but I'd change the name. Wasn't Jor'el Superman's dad? Maybe Jarrel or J'rell or Georrel.

Oops.
Eeeew?

I. Did. Not. Mean. That.

You're dirty.

Upon further consideration, I really can't see why the minstrel would come with the refugees. I'm thinking that he should stop by the new city, though much later on, if just to see his daughter (assuming he finds out). That way we could make him a bard, which is what he should be.
I. Did. Not. Mean. That.

You're dirty.

I figured that it wasn't meant that way, but it struck me as too funny to let it pass without comment.

The minstrel/father might come with the refugees if the attack shook him badly and he suddenly started feeling protective of the daughter he knew so little. If Mililani's bar was destroyed in the attack, and daddy saved her from the wreckage, it could account for an appropriate change of perspective/priorities.

Of course, this assumes that he knows that Mililani is his daughter. He may have found out in the aftermath from the florist-ladies, and that too could account for the change of heart
Upon further consideration, I really can't see why the minstrel would come with the refugees. I'm thinking that he should stop by the new city, though much later on, if just to see his daughter (assuming he finds out). That way we could make him a bard, which is what he should be.

Presumably as a minstrel, he's always looking for new tales to tell?

Just think how many tales he could get from one heroic migration - especially if this sort of migration and town founding that doesn't happen very often in the POL setting.

He may go along just to garner tales, although he might not stay much past the founding of the [New Town]. If he does travel and spread tales afterwards, that might provide a reason why people both know about [New town]'s existence and include it in their travel plans.
Competition places
Show
Presumably as a minstrel, he's always looking for new tales to tell?

Just think how many tales he could get from one heroic migration - especially if this sort of migration and town founding that doesn't happen very often in the POL setting.

He may go along just to garner tales, although he might not stay much past the founding of the [New Town]. If he does travel and spread tales afterwards, that might provide a reason why people both know about [New town]'s existence and include it in their travel plans.

A very good idea!

I think it would be appropriate for the florist sisters to tell him during the migration about the origins of their daughter. There is little telling what his reaction might be, and what songs he would sing about the new town.

On the other hand, if the minstrel has a daughter from his world travels that is now an adult (late teens?) then he is probably not as young and spry as he used to be. Having a daughter tells his age, and middle aged men all react somewhat strongly to this revalation, and especially in his case where he has been an exemplar of youth.

I am thinking Ebbard, for his name. Ebbard of Ehlonhill? I think it is funny that originally I subconsciously chose the name of a father figure who was notably absent in their child's life.

Things to think about.
I've read throuht the latest refugee list and I see something slightly odd. There seems to be a lack of human women. Imho there should be almost a 1:1 ratio if not higher. Since this was a disaster what about women and children first? Every succsesful society had a balance of male/female members. I just think that the city could run into...problems later.
Here's what I propose for the half-elf bartender:

Jeffers was a veteran of the city guard. During his last patrol, a group of burglars had shattered his right leg, and he had been forced to retire from service. Working his way up, he is now the owner and operator of the Dragon's Berth, a local tavern and inn that typically caters to both city-folk and wayward travelers. On occasion, his right leg would course with pain, and it always foretold of bad times. He has a gruff personality, but is always friendly, always helpful, and loves to recount his days as a guard.
Show
Jeffers: Half-elf War3/Exp2 (or 4.0 equivalent), crippled right leg (-2 Strength/Dexterity)

I was also thinking that one of the individual humans could be a whiny, pompous aristocrat that typically spent his days and his wealth slothing at Jeffers' bar. Because of his nature, he would have no influence over any of the refugees, and may simply become more burden than aid when they reach the new settlement. Just an idea.

Edit: Maybe we could combine ideas here and let both half-elves count: Jeffers could be the out-of-service guard and Mililani could be the bartender.
Sign In to post comments