Open discussion: BUILD A CITY 4.0!!!

670 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let's put the giant issue to a vote. It will help us narrow down what to use as a 'foe' for the area and let us move on.

I propose a vote that the river does not cause unnaturally large vegetation, animals, insects, etc and that it does not contain any other magical effects.

This is not really a valid proposal, as those that vote no, are in fact stating a double negative, and must give a reason why they do want what was previously proposed. I no vote would be along the lines of: "No I do not want the river to not cause unnaturally large..."

I think the topic deserves some more discussion myself.

The stream, which feeds the pond/small lake, would not be the watering hole for many animals or a great deal of vegetation. In fact it could be said that the gigantism is limited to a very small food chain:

1) The water feeds the small pond where the (giant) tortoises live.
(already voted in)

2) The (giant) eagles eat young tortoises as they can catch them.
(popular)

3) Grapevines of (giant) grapes draw the rest of the giantism from the waters before it can be washed out to the river (limiting the effect of the giantism).
(suggested)

4) The (giant) honey bees which pollinate the grapes are sized appropriately for the task.
(also suggested)

The cave resident could be an old hermit who has grown to giant proportions, and could be an interesting addition to the city (if appeased and not attacked).

This limits the giantism to five creatures/plants. The effects could take a few generations (if not used as the only source of water), but would slowly heighten the stature of the city's residents.
Giant Eagles: Ok

Giant Intelligent Eagles: Maybe, I assume that giant eagles would be relatively intelligent, might buy that they have the reasoning skills of a man.

Giant Intelligent Talking Eagles: No. This is the same problem as the giant spring, too exotic, too crowded.

I see your point. The villagers should be the focal point of the setting, not the flora and fauna. However, the notion of there being something fantastic and out of the ordinary within the area is quite pleasing to me; there must be something, even if it is something small, to set the community apart from the norm.

Take care, friend.
This is not really a valid proposal, as those that vote no, are in fact stating a double negative, and must give a reason why they do want what was previously proposed. I no vote would be along the lines of: "No I do not want the river to not cause unnaturally large..."

I think the topic deserves some more discussion myself.

The stream, which feeds the pond/small lake, would not be the watering hole for many animals or a great deal of vegetation. In fact it could be said that the gigantism is limited to a very small food chain:

1) The water feeds the small pond where the (giant) tortoises live.
(already voted in)

2) The (giant) eagles eat young tortoises as they can catch them.
(popular)

3) Grapevines of (giant) grapes draw the rest of the giantism from the waters before it can be washed out to the river (limiting the effect of the giantism).
(suggested)

4) The (giant) honey bees which pollinate the grapes are sized appropriately for the task.
(also suggested)

The cave resident could be an old hermit who has grown to giant proportions, and could be an interesting addition to the city (if appeased and not attacked).

This limits the giantism to five creatures/plants. The effects could take a few generations (if not used as the only source of water), but would slowly heighten the stature of the city's residents.

I have to disagree with this reasoning for a couple of reasons of my own. The biggest one is that the giant tortises are found in the valley, not at the exit from the ground where the hot spring's water comes out at the top of the cliffs. That means that the water is coming down several waterfalls and at least a small stream before gathering in the pool of water the tortoises live in/nearby. This means either the grapes get the water purified before the tortoises could get to it, or their is plenty of time for other creatures (say wolves or mountain lions which might prefer to drink the water higher up closer to the source) to get to it.

Even without that, it is common for predators and prey to share watering holes if they are the primary water source of the area. Just look at any wildlife documentary in Africa or Yellow Stone national park. This means that even if the tortoises are in the water and that is that area they will still allow other creatures to visit and drink the water once again leading to giant wolves/mountain lions/etcetera.

For this reason I vote NO on the water causing giantism in any form.

I am still open to some other low level magic in the water, and when I originally proposed it I had something in mind that would not propagate beyond the initial pool that started the stream deep within the caves (a kind of grotto buried deep within), something I am still working on from time to time.
I was not referring to any pool inside of the cave, but rather to the pond where the tortoises live (in the valley) as the place where the grapes grow. The reason the turtles are giant is because they live in the pond. The reason the grapes are giant is because they draw water primarily from the pond. The bees are gigantic as well because the grapes are the only source of nectar/pollen that is large enough to support/feed them and would be an example of two species co-evolving. The eagles are giant because there are giant eagles in D&D and it sounded fitting that there might be a mating pair in these mountains that could snack on young tortoises.

Many of the other animals in the area may be larger than normal, but not big enough to consider giant, because they are not primarily tied to the hotspring fed pond (live in or drink from exclusively), which is why the refugees and their children will never become giants, though there average height may increase slightly over the years with each passing generation.

Also, I am trying to hold off on voting on this topic until there is some further discussion. A vote was already called to not have the giantism effect, which you could vote for. There is really no vote to vote "no" against the pond, because no one has submitted a proposal for the giantism effect. If you consider my discussion such a proposal, I officially withdraw the proposal pending further discussion.
I have to say I agree on postponing the idea of the waters causing 'giantism', I agree totally on the dire turtles thats an excellent setting hook that we can build on. I also agree on the highly fertile land right in close location to the pond. *( this could create another plot hook with the farmers competing for these lands or the town conducting a community lottery to see who will reap the benefit of this loaction for a single growing season)

In the creation of the other BACT threads we gave one common simple idea that we were able to grow on the concept of a singular cause and effect: for the pair of turtles seems to fit in that mold we've built.

It will be interesting to see what creative 'potiental' 4E will allow, and how easily we will be able to justify the placement in this city.

I second Rook's observation on holding the giant-issue for now, with the standing that it may be revisited later.

Now an odd question...........?

If the eagles do indeed feed on the turtles, what would a emerging town do with say 2-3 'hollowed' turtle shells........?
OMG! I have finaly read tgrough everything and now able to post :D No complainst, I've much enjoyed the read even though it has taken probably 3 weeks with my schedule. Awsome work so far. Now for some of my ideas, they may be a bit late cause I didnt want to post until I've read the whole thread.
Ideas for an occupants for the cave I was thinking of a Troll. I'm thinking of a maimed Troll that is missing an arm because the damage was so sever from Acid or Fire that it wont regen so it knows its weakened so it justs want to be left alone. Maybe it lives in the same chamber that the magic pool is in and lives as an odd type of a Hermit?

Another idea for the cave occupant or maybe a unique predator, In one of my past Dragon magazines there was a breed of wingless reptles that were distant cousines to dragons called Drakes. There could be a single the size of a lion or maybe as large as a horse or even as small as wolves and be several of them. If the Drakes peeks anyones interest I could search through my Dragon mags and scan a mage to show what they look like. I would think they could be a good predator to the DST since they could have extra srong jaws for there size like a pitbul and agility like a feline.

Now an Idea for the ore, took a couple of the threads ideas and weaved them together. There is a used up cave/mine system a days ride, or more, from the new city, can't remember name and my break is about up. Now in a side tunnel at a dead end that has been mined there is a patch or Ferrousleach Moss that is growing showing an indication that there is ore nearby. Now there will be several tunnels and since this is a used up mine at the time, it will be found later in time when we are ready for it to be found. And it will be up above the new city, like I think was suggested earlier in the thread?

Thats what I have for now, let me know what ya think.
Oh and DA? I think maybe the redout occupant be a EVIL KOLBOLD!
Just kidding :P
OMG! I have finaly read tgrough everything and now able to post :D No complainst, I've much enjoyed the read even though it has taken probably 3 weeks with my schedule. Awsome work so far. Now for some of my ideas, they may be a bit late cause I didnt want to post until I've read the whole thread.

That's dedication.
Ideas for an occupants for the cave I was thinking of a Troll. I'm thinking of a maimed Troll that is missing an arm because the damage was so sever from Acid or Fire that it wont regen so it knows its weakened so it justs want to be left alone. Maybe it lives in the same chamber that the magic pool is in and lives as an odd type of a Hermit?

I'm liking the intelligent hermit idea, be it troll, giant, or whatever. Something that can be reasoned with that knows the area but not necessarily willing to help without compensation or perhaps takes a fondness to one of the refugees (I imagine a giant with the intelligence of a child succored like an orphan by Nan Kya, or perhaps a Quasimodo-esque affection for one of the women). A maimed troll might work well, but this may be something we want to wait for the MM1 in order to decide.

Also, some other intelligent occupants to consider: harpies, fey (nymph, dryad, satyr, etc.), hags, kobolds (;)) etc.
Another idea for the cave occupant or maybe a unique predator, In one of my past Dragon magazines there was a breed of wingless reptles that were distant cousines to dragons called Drakes. There could be a single the size of a lion or maybe as large as a horse or even as small as wolves and be several of them. If the Drakes peeks anyones interest I could search through my Dragon mags and scan a mage to show what they look like. I would think they could be a good predator to the DST since they could have extra srong jaws for there size like a pitbul and agility like a feline.

The problem with (a) dangerous occupant(s) is that it could very well kill some of the refugees, if not all of them, since there will be no PC class characters to save/protect them.
Now an Idea for the ore, took a couple of the threads ideas and weaved them together. There is a used up cave/mine system a days ride, or more, from the new city, can't remember name and my break is about up. Now in a side tunnel at a dead end that has been mined there is a patch or Ferrousleach Moss that is growing showing an indication that there is ore nearby. Now there will be several tunnels and since this is a used up mine at the time, it will be found later in time when we are ready for it to be found. And it will be up above the new city, like I think was suggested earlier in the thread?

This is along the lines of where the discussion was left off, so I think that we are all on the same page on this one. I'm glad that you got the same thing out of those pages so I know that I'm not way out in left field here.
Ya the Drake idea was mainly an outside unique predator I was thinking of and the giant eagles was posted beofre I was finished reading all the posts.

An idea for the water source:
Possibly a magic jar of endless water at the bottom of the pool always filling it or a small rift to the elemental plane of water and possibly a water elemental or Archon there called now protecting it.

Now as I mentioned planes a question has popped in my nogin.
If I remeber correctly and correct me if I'm wrong, didnt Wizards Presents: Monsters & Worlds mentioned that the comsos and planes been altered and that there are no "Planes" but everything is on the same plane except for the Feywild and Shadowfell.
Hmmmmm.....? Intelligent Hermit, thats an excellent idea...! I really like the sound of this, someone or something that could either be a benefactor or an allied force....

I would heartfully endorse this, but what I would like would be a "unique" entity, someone or something never used before..........., what will the options be with a 4e MM to look at..?

A intelligent aged giant.? very old and no longer looking to dominate a given area...?
A weary centaur, tired of arguing policy and politics and now in self-imposed exile...?
A slightly twisted Fey, excellent in nature, terrible in a social setting...?
A scarred life-tested Orc or Hobgoblin, retired and living on thier wits..?

Just some fodder for discussion.
An idea for the water source:
Possibly a magic jar of endless water at the bottom of the pool always filling it or a small rift to the elemental plane of water and possibly a water elemental or Archon there called now protecting it.

Now as I mentioned planes a question has popped in my nogin.
If I remeber correctly and correct me if I'm wrong, didnt Wizards Presents: Monsters & Worlds mentioned that the comsos and planes been altered and that there are no "Planes" but everything is on the same plane except for the Feywild and Shadowfell.

I don't see any reason why the water source has to be magical. It would be interesting, but we might run into some logistic problems.

As for the cosmology we now have four basic 'spheres':
1. The Material Plane (The World, The Shadowfell, and the Feywild)
2. The Elemental Chaos (The four elements mixed together and the Abyss)
3. The Astral Sea (The Astral Plane and all the God's dominions and demiplanes (including the Nine Hells))
4. The Far Realm (Cthulhu Ftarghn!)

So there's four 'planes' now.

I believe there was some talk at the beginning of this thread about the original redoubt denizens. As far as I know we didn't get any farther than they were dwarves who exhausted a nearby iron supply, perhaps we can build the backstory a bit more (such as why they didn't stick around as an outpost or look for more ore), which may lead to this 'hermit' idea.

Also, remember that we have a green dragon around hereabouts that can take the 'interesting intelligent thingy' role. Too bad he's going to go batsh*t when he notices the mother and child.

Edit: DING! Page 20. I claim this page in the name of the King!
A scarred life-tested Orc or Hobgoblin, retired and living on thier wits..?

His name is Lancebreaker, and was a high ranking hobgoblin sergeant in an elite ranger unit, the personal guard of the Ravfest family. When the Ravfest family fell (PM me if you're interested in knowing more), the ranger unit splintered and warred against itself, gathering in their own militant tribes.

Lancebreaker is far from his home, which has decented into a literal necropolis, and intend(s/ed) to live out his life here in the redoubt.

Yeah?

Edit: Hobgoblins will most likely have some sort of "ranger" workup in the MM, and if not, one would be easy to make. While not a PC class character, he would be fairly competent, as much or more so than the merc. dragonborn in their midst, even in his old age.
I agree and yes Lancebreaker could and would fit that role nicely.

I'm trying to remember something I saw years ago, the hermit was quite a bit larger than the characters, but stooped with age and weary, you know battered cloak and gnarled walking staff, ect., ect.....he was heavily scarred and kept half his face covered, rarley spoke......seemed creepy to the townsfolk, but ended up with a trait for something unique and at the time very valuable. (I think is was an old anime from the late 70's or early 80's)

But thats something like I was thinking, a seeming outsider to grow in, but like I envision something unique. The last scion of a drudic sect, an aged cleric of a forgotten god, the last warrior from a forgotten mission. He, she or it could bring something completly off the wall to the table, a variant weapon, a unusual skill, some piece of forgotten mystic lore..........or just a great way to grow potatoes.!
How about...
IMAGE(http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/perennialrook/Minotaur1.jpg)
...a minotaur.

Sorry, I was just playing around with my wacom tablet today. I thought I'd share. :D
Wow, thats........different.! But this is interesting, how about it an aged minotaur, a once brutal war-band leader, with some form of nasty battle scars, deep eye-patch, missing one hand something like that.....

Yeah, this has possibilities.......................

Gorn
"Once the feared leader of the 'Bridgeburners' a violent Mercenary unit, Gorn has spent a lifetime in learning and mastering combat and tactics. At once seemingly unbeatable in combat the aged war-leader was beaten in single combat, and by the custom of the clan banished into self-imposed exile"

"Now the venerable war-leader, living as a hermit deep in the wood at the base of a forgotten land, feels the ravages of time more keenly than before. Bent over his staff, the weight of the world bringing him low in his elder days. he remembers the battles of old, mostly distant echos in the twilight, and feels the coming of the end. His woodcraft is good, his garden small and his mind sharp."

"Yes, he thinks, This will ba a good time to die......."

Just Thinking...
I would not vote for a minotaur. I imagine that a tired refugee's first reaction to a minotaur appearing (or even a hob or orc) would probably be something akin to: "KILL IT!!!"

I'd say that if there is a hermit, it should be a relatively common race. The character could be just as mysterious and interesting as a dwarf who talks to owls or schizophrenic eladrin as a huge minotaur, without the immediate problems that would appear with a monstrous humanoid.

Also, theres the possibility of the hermit no longer being alive. It might be more interesting to find an old journal (and maybe a map).
Also, theres the possibility of the hermit no longer being alive. It might be more interesting to find an old journal (and maybe a map).

I like this idea... I'll have to think on this one.

As for the "attack on sight" reaction to an intelligent monster, remember these are not player controlled PC's, these are NPC's controlled by... us. Which means they could react better than your common group of hack 'n' slashers.
Someone mentioned a group of Warforged before? What about a single Warforged? Possibly incomplete and/or no memory about his creators or why hes there. Maybe he doesnt leave the redout because he has no knowledge of the outside world and only knows the small area where he lives so its afraid to leave the redout.
I got some time to think on it and I agree, how valuable would a journal be to the new residents. Very I think.

A musted and humidity stained journal found in some hollowed out tree or in a small man sized cave, written on its aged parchament pages are Animal lore, herding patterns for game, illustrations for snares, entries on crops and land information, patterns on weather and seasons, folk-lore surrounding common issues and ailments, drawings of leaves, plants and berries all with detailed descriptions

Each poster could add a entry from the journal that way giving a true comminity feel.
It could be Lancebreaker's journal. When the refugees look around the redoubt they notice that one particular area seems to have been recently used. Upon inspection they find Lancebreakers room. Lancebreaker died in this room, leaving behind a few survival implements, a couple of furs, his journal, and his most favored weapon (since he's a ranger I'm thinking a bow, but he's your character Perennial, so you get to decide the details).

One of the first things the refugees could do is give Lancebreaker a proper burial. Then, once they start reading his journal, they could find passages about his life, stories about his homeland, maybe even clues as to a nearby treasure (guarded by none other than the green dragon) as well as survival tips, animal lore, and other useful entries.

Lancebreaker could be a full fledged character, just developed through journal entries.

And to include Rizzen's idea, if he's not a hobgoblin, he might be an inactive warforged. Maybe there could be clues in the journal as to how to revive him?
I like the idea of an old minotaur as the hermit. Still strong enough to defend him or herself from an initial "ahh, kill it" reaction of a single individual or small group, but not so strong as to chase down the witless fool and kill him off. And with age and wisdom comes the knowledge and patience for establishing a relationship with the refugees.

One of the great things about this character is that he has plenty of knowledge of defensive tactics for when things get tough, and considering he has been living in the area a while he most likely knows all the edible plants on sight, where to hunt, what local woods make the best building materials, and probably has a small field or garden of his own. All of this knowledge he can share with the refugees as a wise old leader who still prefers solitude to company. This gives the refugees a quick start in their new area without creating a character that has to be continuously involved with the community all the while providing a sage for use in later adventures.

----------------

As for the water source. I had no intention that the water source itself would be magical (though that is possible). My current idea is that the water comes from or passes through a grotto deep within the caves, not a place easily located or accessible in any way, and it is this grotto that is magical in some small way. My current working description for the grotto follows:

Around the bend ahead a faint blue green luminescence can be seen. Turning the bend a wondrous sight opens before your eyes. Though stalactites and stalagmites have been common over the seeming miles you have had to crawl and climb to reach this point, they were nothing like what appears before you. The collection of stalactites and mites in front of you are clear and pure, almost like crystal, and it is from these that the faint glow appears.

The last stream down which you have walked to reach this point joins the pool at the base of the chamber, but instead of collecting drops from the ceiling and flowing elsewhere it seems drawn to the great multi-pointed stalagmite at the center. Once there it flows upward over the crystal and slowly drips up towards the ceiling, landing on the points of stalagmites before collecting in a pool on the roof mirroring the one below. As you walk across the stones just rising out of the pool you pass through a ring of different size droplets, seeming lost, floating far out in orbit around the upward flow and crystals at the center of the room. Finally nearing the center you notice a small motion in the pool on the ceiling, looking up you see a swirl where the water proceeds to drain into a tiny crack in the roof.

My current idea was to have the water be very warm at this point, possibly requiring the user to pass through rooms with steam geysers and such to reach this the grotto, making it a very uncomfortable trip. If there was going to be any magical effect of the water (other than defying gravity in and near the chamber) it would only happen by drinking directly from the pool there. Also the magic in the crystals would fade if they were removed.

I was thinking about having the original dwarves know about this place and having this as part of a latter plot I was considering. Something along the lines of their representative not being happy about these interlopers and remembering old contingency plans for "poisoning the well" if the need for retreat ever occurred, but that is something for the future.
I was thinking about having the original dwarves know about this place and having this as part of a latter plot I was considering. Something along the lines of their representative not being happy about these interlopers and remembering old contingency plans for "poisoning the well" if the need for retreat ever occurred, but that is something for the future.

I'm a little confused. Are the dwarves are still around? Or is this a kind of mechanical trap?

Also, if this river is the towns only water supply than that's really dangerous (although maybe that's the point). With roughly 70 people, even with a DC of only 5 that means that 17 people will fail. Remember that these aren't PC's with those nice bonuses to their saves.

Also, are you supporting the gigantism with the magical grotto or do you have a different effect in mind?
I'm a little confused. Are the dwarves are still around? Or is this a kind of mechanical trap?

As I said, this was an idea for in the future after the town had started getting on its feet and word gets around to whatever dwarven clan originally built the retreat. It was not something I was planning on bringing up all that early on.

Also, if this river is the towns only water supply than that's really dangerous (although maybe that's the point). With roughly 70 people, even with a DC of only 5 that means that 17 people will fail. Remember that these aren't PC's with those nice bonuses to their saves.

That is exactly the point. It was going to be a sort of deus ex machina effect where it slowly poisoned the people, causing them to become weaker and weaker the longer they continued to stay there and drink the water. This gives time for a group of adventurers to try to figure out the ominous warning I was going to have the dwaven representative leave with the town before disappearing.

Also, are you supporting the gigantism with the magical grotto or do you have a different effect in mind?

I am complete against the giantism effect from the waters as there is no way to contain it to a small group of creatures, especially once the citizens move in.

I was also not complete sure if there should be any other magic effect from the grotto other than the floating water, but it was always a possibility in the back of my mind. I am still not sure what the effect should be but I was not planning on having it be major. Something not really worth townspeople regularly making the dangerous trek to visit the grotto, while still being considered a boon for the party that had to go that way to resolve the plot I was working on.
The poison thing might work if you are planning to run a campaign here (I'm becoming more and more partial to having this be my first 4e setting) but remember that we don't have any adventurers.

Also, we probably won't get far enough down the timeline to have the original dwarves come into play (since the redoubt is totally abandoned, they'd probably only hear about it after the town is settled and starts growing, which may be as much as a decade away).

This is a good hook, and I could definitely see this working well in the setting, but I think it should be postponed for a while. We're still working on how the city gets started, we might want to save things that would happen 5+ years later for a different time.
I completely agree that this proposed hook was supposed to be several years or more down the life of the city. I only mentioned it as the reason I had been working on the grotto idea in the background.

I had always assumed there would be something special about the water, hot spring or something else, so I kept bouncing ideas around in my head till I landed on the grotto, and then I tried to come up with an idea how to get a group of adventures into such a hidden and hard to reach place; as I felt it should be too difficult and time consuming for the regular townspeople to locate anytime within the first many years that they were settling in.
Has this thread died already? If not then this is a bump.
Bumping a stickied thread? Funny.

The idea isn't dead, we are just waiting on... well 4e, really.

There is the little matter of the OP. Like, who is going to write it? Who will be the OP (thread lead)? Etc.

It is my hope that we wait until everyone can digest 4e, make sure there aren't any changes or ideas that come up to resolve, and then collaborate on an OP and get the 4TBACT rolling.
Bumping a stickied thread? Funny.

The idea isn't dead, we are just waiting on... well 4e, really.

There is the little matter of the OP. Like, who is going to write it? Who will be the OP (thread lead)? Etc.

It is my hope that we wait until everyone can digest 4e, make sure there aren't any changes or ideas that come up to resolve, and then collaborate on an OP and get the 4TBACT rolling.

Really, I thought that perhaps we were all simply too busy with work, end of semester, whatever; so busy in fact, that we were just too burnt out to contribute anything. But I suppose that we're also waiting until 4E.

P.S. Keep On The Shadowfell hit stores yesterday.
I agree thats where we are, I'm waiting to get the 4E stuff to see how it will all be orginized and weather or not some of our creative energies are being mis-guided or not.

All I hope is that this latest version will allow the tools for solid role-playing, I admit I am a little worried
BUMP
To the matter of the BACT lead (read: OP):

I have found myself rather busy as of late, so I'm not able to keep up with the discussion as much as I'd like. Because of that, I'm not sure how I would fare as lead for the story thread. I'll do it if that is what everyone wishes, but I suggest nominating someone who can be more proactive than I (someone like PerennialRook.)

Perhaps my role here should evolve into that of moderator only. It would allow me to be more objective for one, and I would be able to spend more time working on the "managerial" aspects of the thread (such as keeping the thread updated (which I have been neglecting), answering questions, and resolving disputes.)
I'd vote for PerennialRook.

So is there anything else we need to do before 4E comes out?

The only thing I can think of is maybe an expanded map of the area, but I think we're pretty much ready.
So, is this going to go anywhere now?
Well Dougan can't do this so someone else will need to start this. Nobody's stepping up. I've been tossing some ideas around in my head, I'd like to see this start soon.
There are a few things to work out before we get this going in another thread. Like: how we are handling NPCs, what posting rules we are going to have, etc.
Some NPC Statblocks I have been working on:
Moses, Level 4 Controller (Leader)
Medium natural humanoid, female tiefling cleric; XP 150

Initiative +5; Senses Perception +4; low-light vision
HP 43; Bloodied 21
AC 16; Fortitude 13, Reflex 16, Will 19
Resist 7 fire
Speed 6

IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/bmelee.gif)Unarmed (standard; at-will) * Weapon
+3 vs. AC; 1d4+1 damage
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/ranged.gif)Sacred Flame (standard; at-will) * Divine, Implement, Radiant
Ranged 5; +5 vs. Reflex; 1d6 + 3 radiant damage, and one ally she can see chooses either to gain 6 temporary hit points or to make a saving throw.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/ranged.gif)Command (standard; encounter) * Charm, Divine, Implement
Ranged 10; +5 vs. Will; The target is dazed until the end of her next turn. In addition, she can choose to knock the target prone or slide the target 7 squares.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/close.gif)Beacon of Hope (standard; daily) * Divine, Healing, Implement
Close burst 3; +5 vs. Will of each enemy in burst; The target is weakened until the end of her next turn; Moses and all her allies in the burst regain 7 hit points, and her healing powers restore +5 hit points unil the end of the encounter.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/melee.gif)Cure Light Wounds (standard, daily) * Divine, Healing
Melee touch; Moses or one creature touched regains hit points as if it had spent a healing surge +2.
Channel Divinity (encounter)
  • Divine Fortune (free) * Divine
    You gain a +1 bonus to your next attack roll or saving throw before the end of your next turn.
  • IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/close.gif)Turn Undead (standard) * Divine, Implement, Radiant
    Burst 2; +5 vs. Will; 1d10+3 radiant damage, and Moses pushes the target 7 squares. The target is immobilized until the end of her next turn; Half damage on a miss, and the target is not pushed or immobilized.

IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/close.gif)Healing Word (minor; twice per encounter) * Divine, Healing
Close burst 5; Moses or one ally within burst can spend a healing surge and regain an additional 1d6+2 hit points.
Infernal Wrath (minor; encounter)
Moses can channel her fury to gain a +1 power bonus to her next attack roll against an enemy that she has hit since her last turn. If her attack roll hits and deals damage, add 4 extra damage.
Bloodhunt Moses gains a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against bloodied foes.

Alignment Good; Languages Common, Supernal
Skills Bluff +8, Heal +9, Religion +10, Stealth +5
Str 10 (+2) Dex 12 (+3) Wis 14 (+4)
Con 11 (+2) Int 16 (+5) Cha 19 (+6)
Equipment preist's robes, symbol of Beacon worn under cloak.
Ghoros, Level 1 Soldier
Medium natural humanoid, male dragonborn fighter; XP 100

Initiative +1; Senses Perception +0
HP 24; Bloodied 12; see also dragonborn fury
AC 18; Fortitude 17, Reflex 12, Will 14
Speed 5

IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/bmelee.gif)Bastard Sword (Katana) +1 (standard; at-will) * Weapon
+8 vs. AC; 1d10+3 (4 two-handed) damage.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/melee.gif)Sure Strike (standard; at will) * Martial, Weapon
+10 vs. AC; 1d10 damage.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/melee.gif)Spinning Sweep (standard; encounter) * Martial, Weapon
+8 vs. AC; 1d10+3 (4 two-handed) damage, and Ghoros knocks the target prone.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/melee.gif)Villian's Menace (standard; daily) * Martial, Weapon
+8 vs. AC; 2d10+3 (4 two-handed) damage, and Ghoros gains a +2 power bonus to attack rolls and a +4 power bonus to damage rolls against the target until the end of the encounter; On a miss he gains a +1 power bonus to attack rolls and a +2 power bonus to damage rolls against the target until the end of the encounter.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/close.gif)Dragon Breath (encounter; minor) Cold
Close blast 3; +6 vs. Reflex; 1d6+4 cold damage.
Combat Challenge Anytime Ghoros attacks a target, he may choose to mark it. The mark lasts until the end of his next turn. While the target is marked, it takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that doesn't include Ghoros as a target.
In addition, whenever a marked enemy that is adjacent to Ghoros shifts or makes an attack that does not include him, Ghoros can make a melee basic attack against that enemy as an immediate interrupt.
Combat Superiority An enemy struck by Ghoros's opportunity attack stops moving, if a move provoked the attack. If it still has actions left, it can use them to resume moving.
Fighter Weapon Talent When using one-handed weapons, Ghoros gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls.
Dragonborn Fury When Ghoros is bloodied, he gains a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls.
Draconic Heritage Ghoros's healing surge value is equal to 9.

Alignment Unaligned; Languages Common, Draconic
Skills Athletics +7, History +2, Intimidate +10
Str 15 (+2) Dex 12 (+1) Wis 10 (+0)
Con 16 (+3) Int 11 (+0) Cha 16 (+3)
Equipment bastard sword (katana) +1, scale armor
Ghent, Dragonborn Evoker, Level 2 Artillery
Medium natural humanoid; XP 125

Initiative +4; Senses Perception +2
HP 34; Bloodied 17; see also dragonborn fury
AC 14; Fortitude 15, Reflex 15, Will 16
Speed 6

IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/branged.gif)Dragonborn Longbow (basic ranged, standard, at-will) * Weapon
Ranged 20/40; +9 vs. AC; 1d10 + 3 damage.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/close.gif)Evoker's Dragon Breath (minor, recharge IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/6.gif)) * Arcane, Lightning, Thunder
Close blast 3; +7 vs. Reflex; 1d6 + 3 lightning damage; secondary attack; +7 vs. Fortitude; 1d6 + 3 thunder damage.
Dragon Leap (encounter, move) * Arcane
Ghent makes an athletics check to jump with a +15 power bonus, and does not have to move to make a running jump, shifting up to that number of squares.
Dragonborn Fury When Ghent is bloodied, he gains a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls.
Draconic Heritage Ghent's healing surge value is equal to 11.
Arcane Training Ghent can cast all of the wizard cantrips as explained in the PHB.

Alignment Unaligned; Languages Common, Draconic
Skills Arcana +9, History +11, Intimidate +5
Str 11 (+1) Dex 10 (+1) Wis 12 (+2)
Con 16 (+4) Int 17 (+4) Cha 15 (+3)
Equipment longbow, book of arcane study
My version of the Dire Snapping Tortoise

Show
Dire Snapping Tortoise, Level 8 Soldier

Large natural beast (reptile); XP 350

Initiative +2; Senses Perception +4; low-light vision
HP 76; Bloodied 38
AC 24; Fortitude 24, Reflex 20, Will 20
Resist 5 damage
Speed 4, Swim 6

Snap (basic melee; standard; at-will)
Reach 2; +15 vs. AC; 2d6+5 damage
Vorpal Jaws (standard; encounter)
Reach 2; +15 vs. AC; 3d10 + 5 damage, if the target is dropped to 0 hp by this attack the tortoise may make an additional standard, move, or minor action.
Fling (standard; at-will)
Reach 2; +13 vs. Reflex; 2d6 damage and the target slides 3 squares and is knocked prone
Iron Shell (standard; at-will; usable only while bloodied)
The tortoise's gains an additional 15 resistance to damage until the beginning of it's next turn. If any damage is done to it during this time all resistance (including the original 5) is negated until the beginning of the tortoise's next turn.

Alignment Unaligned; Languages None
Skills: Endurance (+10)
Str 18 (+4) Dex 10 (+0) Wis 10 (+0)
Con 18 (+4) Int 3 (-4) Cha 8 (-1)

Dire Tortoise Tactics:
The tortoise will use it's basic attack throughout the fight. When an enemy get's too close to the tortoise's allies it will use Fling to move them back. The tortoise will use Vorpal Jaws on the first bloodied enemy to come into reach. If the tortoise is in danger of losing it will use Iron Shell and try to retreat to the nearest shelter (usually the water).
I made some changes to my own working version after seeing yours. I also made the sample encounters before the hatchling and normal dire versions.
Snapping Tortoises
IMAGE(http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/perennialrook/DireGiantSnappingTortoise1copy-1.jpg)
Hatchling Snapping Tortoise, Level 3 Skirmisher
Small natural beast (reptile), XP 150

Initiative +5; Senses Perception +6; low-light vision
HP 52; Bloodied 26
AC 17; Fortitude 18, Reflex 15, Will 14
Speed 5 (swamp walk), swim 6

IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/bmelee.gif)Razorsnap (standard; at-will)
+8 vs. AC; 1d10 + 3 damage.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/bmelee.gif)Needleclaw (minor; at-will)
+6 vs. AC; 1d6 + 3 damage.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/melee.gif)Rend (immediate reaction; at-will) If the hatchling snapping tortoise hits a single opponent with more than one melee basic attack durring a round, it deals an additional 1d6 damage.
Stability When an effect forces the giant dire snapping tortoise to move-through a pull, a push, or a slide-the tortoise can move one square less than the effect specifies. In addition, when an attack would knock it prone, the tortoise can immediately make a saving throw to avoid falling prone.
Pod Tactics The dire giant snapping tortoise gains a +1 power bonus to its AC and Reflex defenses for each adjacent snapping tortoise. Also, for each adjacent snapping tortoise the number of squares a tortoise can resist moving (via Stability) is increased by one.
Hibernation The dire giant tortoise can sleep submerged underwater and cease eating from late fall until early spring.

Skills Endurance +13, Perception +6
Str 14 (+2) Dex 14 (+3) Wis 10 (+1)
Con 20 (+6) Int 2 (+0) Cha 10 (+1)
Dire Snapping Tortoise, Level 5 Brute
Medium natural beast (reptile), XP 200

Initiative +6; Senses Perception +8; low-light vision
HP 82; Bloodied 41
AC 17; Fortitude 20, Reflex 17, Will 16
Speed 5 (swamp walk), swim 7

IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/bmelee.gif)Snap (standard; sustain minor, at-will)
+8 vs. AC; 1d10 + 4 damage, and the target is grabbed (until escape). The dire giant snapping tortoise can grab only one creature at a time, and cannot make bite attacks while grabbing. On subsequent turns, with a successful attack, the dire giant snapping tortoise can sustain the bite as a minor action, dealing bite damage while maintaining the grab.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/bmelee.gif)Claw (standard; at-will)
+6 vs. AC; 1d6 + 4 damage.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/melee.gif)Rend (immediate reaction; at-will) If the dire giant snapping tortoise hits a single opponent with more than one melee basic attack durring a round, it deals an additional 1d6 + 4 damage.
Stability When an effect forces the giant dire snapping tortoise to move-through a pull, a push, or a slide-the tortoise can move one square less than the effect specifies. In addition, when an attack would knock it prone, the tortoise can immediately make a saving throw to avoid falling prone.
Pod Tactics The dire giant snapping tortoise gains a +1 power bonus to its AC and Reflex defenses for each adjacent snapping tortoise. Also, for each adjacent snapping tortoise the number of squares a tortoise can resist moving (via Stability) is increased by one.
Hibernation The dire giant tortoise can sleep submerged underwater and cease eating from late fall until early spring.

Skills Endurance +15, Perception +8
Str 16 (+5) Dex 14 (+4) Wis 12 (+3)
Con 22 (+8) Int 2 (+0) Cha 10 (+2)
Dire Giant Snapping Tortoise, Level 8 Elite Soldier
Large natural beast (reptile, mount), XP 700

Initiative +6; Senses Perception +10; low-light vision
HP 194; Bloodied 97
AC 26; Fortitude 26, Reflex 16, Will 19
Saving Throws +2
Speed 5 (swamp walk), swim 8
Action Points 1

IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/bmelee.gif)Snap (standard; sustain minor, at-will)
Reach 2; +13 vs. AC; 2d6 + 5 damage, and the target is grabbed (until escape). The dire giant snapping tortoise can grab only one creature at a time, and cannot make bite attacks while grabbing. On subsequent turns, with a successful attack, the dire giant snapping tortoise can sustain the bite as a minor action, dealing bite damage while maintaining the grab.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/bmelee.gif)Claw (standard; at-will)
+13 vs. AC; 1d8 +5 damage.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/melee.gif)Maul (standard; recharge when first bloodied)
The dire giant snapping tortoise makes three melee basic attacks.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/melee.gif)Rend (immediate reaction; at-will) If the dire giant snapping tortoise hits a single opponent with more than one melee basic attack durring a round, it deals an additional 2d6 damage.
Pod Tactics * Mount The dire giant snapping tortoise gains a +1 power bonus to its AC and Reflex defenses for each adjacent snapping tortoise. Also, for each adjacent snapping tortoise the number of squares a tortoise can resist moving (via Stability) is increased by one. A trained rider of equal or higher level also counts as a snapping tortoise for the effects of this power.

Skills Endurance +20, Perception +10
Str 19 (+8) Dex 10 (+4) Wis 12 (+5)
Con 25 (+11) Int 2 (+0) Cha 8 (+3)

Dire Giant Snapping Tortoise Tactics: When threatened, unable to flee, and/or protecting its pod, the dire giant tortoise will begin the fight by mauling the greatest perceived threat, snapping until it hits to grab and then clawing to attempt a rend. Subsequent turns are spent sustaining the snap and attempting to claw the grabbed enemy in order to rend it further.
Interesting facts: Passive endurance allows the tortoise to automatically hold its breath for 25 rounds (or 2 1/2 minutes) and ignore hunger for a week and a half (10 days). Also, the lifespan of a snapping tortoise means that a trained dire giant snapping tortoise will stay in a clan or family for several generations.

Encounter Groups: These denizens of the waters can be found with a variety of freshwater residents.

Level 4 Encounter (XP 875)
1 dire giant snapping tortoise (level 8 elite soldier)
1 greenscale hunter (level 4 soldier)

Level 6 Encounter (XP 1,250)
1 dire giant snapping tortoise (level 8 elite soldier)
1 greenscale marsh mystic (level 6 controller [leader])
2 spitting drakes (level 3 artillery)

Level 9 Encounter (XP 1,750)
2 dire giant snapping tortoises (level 8 elite soldier)
2 halfling prowlers (level 6 lurker)
1 halfling slinger (level 1 artillery)

Level 12 Encounter (XP 3,500)
5 dire giant snapping tortoises (level 8 elite soldier)
Yay! Someone used my statblock icons. =)
Sorry I haven't been posting for a while. I have a new job, I've been spending more time with my family, and I've just started running what I hope to be my first long-running campaign.

The statblocks are very nice for our first step in blending with the new rules. We might want to combine ideas for the snapping tortoise. I like james's Iron Spine and Fling abilities, and I also like Pk's Stability and Pod Tactics/Mount abilities.

I'm not so sure about giving Moses PC levels. For one thing, it detracts from our position earlier of an NPC-created city. Secondly, we've already decided that Moses is no longer a priest. Maybe she was a priest at some point, but through the revelation of Thorast, she has since lost her powers.

So instead of PC levels, we could take a tiefling out of the Monster Manual, switch out abilities from other creatures (Incite Faith from kobold wyrmpriest on page 168, and Incite Bravery from goblin hexer on page 132) to make him more PC-friendly. Give her a staff of some sort, and add the cleric's healing word ability (recharge IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/4.gif)IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/5.gif)IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/6.gif)). Now she's a "good aligned" priest without being a PC.

Excellent start though.
Here is a reworked Moses. I took out all divine references and radiant powers, making her "godless" while leaving her with appropriate powers for a priestess. The incite powers, which are cool for their respecting monsters, are flavored heavily towards those races. Also, I didn't include a staff, or any weapon, because I didn't think it thematically appropriate for her to know how to use weaponry.

Moses, Tiefling Preistess of Beacon, Level 4 Controller (Leader)
Medium natural humanoid; XP 150

Initiative +5; Senses Perception +4; low-light vision
HP 51; Bloodied 25; see also sanctuary from the storm
AC 18; Fortitude 14, Reflex 16, Will 18
Resist 7 fire
Speed 6

IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/bmelee.gif)Unarmed (standard; at-will)
+5 vs. AC; 1d4+3 damage
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/melee.gif)Healing Touch (minor; recharge IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/1.gif)IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/2.gif)IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/3.gif)) * Healing
Moses or one ally touched can spend a healing surge.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/ranged.gif)Command (standard; recharge IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/4.gif)IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/5.gif)) * Charm
Ranged 10; +8 vs. Will; The target is dazed until the end of her next turn. In addition, Moses can choose to knock the target prone or slide the target 6 squares.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/close.gif)Beacon of Hope (standard; recharge IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/6.gif)) * Healing
Close burst 3; +6 vs. Will of each enemy in burst; The target is weakened until the end of her next turn; Moses and all her allies in the burst regain 5 hit points, and her healing powers restore +5 hit points until the end of the encounter.
IMAGE(http://www.ariagames.net/forums/images/smilies/ranged.gif)Sanctuary from the Storm (minor; recharge when first bloodied)
Ranged 10; Moses or one creature receives a +5 bonus to all defenses. The effect lasts until the target attacks or until the end of her next turn.
Infernal Wrath (minor; encounter)
Moses can channel her fury to gain a +1 power bonus to her next attack roll against an enemy that she has hit since her last turn. If her attack roll hits and deals damage, add 4 extra damage.
Bloodhunt Moses gains a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against bloodied foes.

Alignment Good; Languages Common, Supernal
Skills Bluff +8, Heal +9, Religion +10, Stealth +5
Str 10 (+2) Dex 12 (+3) Wis 14 (+4)
Con 11 (+2) Int 16 (+5) Cha 19 (+6)
Equipment preist's robes, symbol of Beacon worn under cloak.

Priestess of Beacon Tactics
Moses begins combat by issuing a command to the opposing leader/creature with aura/strongest opponent, removing it from the next whole round of combat and removing them from the area or knocking them prone for combat advantage against them. The second round, she uses beacon of hope to heal her allies that have been hurt in the first round and to strengthen her healing touch throughout the rest of the encounter, also weakening her opponents. One the following rounds she uses her powers as they become available via recharge, favoring command and then beacon of hope, healing allies with healing touch when the other two are unavailable.
Sign In to post comments