Open discussion: BUILD A CITY 4.0!!!

670 posts / 0 new
Last post
The main points that need to be discussed right now:
  • The history of Moses
    What kind of person is she? What kind of person was she? Why did she change?

Here's (what I believe to be) what we have so far:

Moses was a priestess to [demon's pseudonym] who oversaw the orphanage at Lighthouse Temple (just a name I used.) Her devotion to her "god" was great, and she fulfilled the tenets as she was able. After the devestation wrought by the curse-warped gold, her powers (and those of her peers) waned, some not functioning at all. One can only imagine how she felt after that. Perhaps she became sullen and withdrawn, and is making a unconfident attempt at redemption. Or perhaps she learned of the dragon's story (including the demon-pact), and she forsook her "diety" in favor of her ideals, regaining some semblence of power. In any case, she found cause to help guide the refugees to their new location, and will help in anyway she can.

If you can think of anything to contribute here, we're all eyes. (I would have said ears, but there's no sound.)

• Resources for the refugees
    Who can bring what to contribute to the development of a new settlement?

For reference, look at Pk's resource breakdown to see what is available and what is needed (or wanted.) Also remember, whatever the settlers are unable to provide initially, the wealth of both The Merriweather Household and Ariana, the Falconer (and possibly The Neya Family) can contribute to the rest.

• Conditions of the cave/redoubt
    What kind of shape is the cave in? Is usable? Are there any inhabitants in the cave now (and would they be hostile)? What sort of structures already exist?

What we know of the cave/redoubt area is that it sit between two valleys: a forested one above the cave, and a fielded under the cliff below. Whoever abandoned it before left it in fairly good condition, and it can still be inhabited. Inside the cave (behind the redoubt) is a twisting maze-like cavern complex that includes a spiraling ramp that leads to an opening to the fields in the valley.

What we don't know is whether or not some (or all) of the cave is inhabited or by what. Some suggestions have included trolls, a basilisk, and kobolds, some of them being friendly, others not friendly. Nothing yet has been discussed on the matter, though it seems less urgent for the time being.

Of course if there is anything else you can think of, something you think we're overlooking, please don't hestiate to say something. There are still a few months left before the first chronicle, so we still have some time to discuss.

I'm also going to say that Thorast Kax and Terrapin Falls are indeed "official". There are three votes for Terrapin Falls as the name of the new city. And though I haven't completely reviewed everyone's opinion, I believe there are enough positive "votes" to make Thorast Kax the name for the old city. I'll update the outline to reflect this (please note the changes.)

P.S.: I'll probably put up a voting post sometime near the end of June, just to make things official (although, I already have an idea of how some subjects will turn out.)
with all that noted, if i was a part of the travelers, my first priorities would be:
1-setting up the smithy
2-tilling and planting what crops could be planted late season
3-acquiring all the lumber needed for both tasks as fast as possible.

This is very relevant, and a good point. The OP of the TBACT4 will include a synopsis of the first month, which makes this another good topic of discussion. Could the refugees get by without a smithy? They will need one sooner, rather than later.
Again, something relevant to the OP of TBACT4, it might be a rush to get food planted as well as foraged from the surrounding forest and fields before the winter. The rural refugees will know this. Very good point.

Definitely a good point!

I'd be inclined to say that getting the crops/food in is top priority, above the smithy.

There are at least 2 plows among the refugees' resources and if the whole community (including the children) turns to and helps, they could get the crops in as quickly as is possible.

After all, the smithy can be built and worked while the crops are growing and even into the winter if necessary.
Competition places
Winner of Hero Craftsmen 3: Gladiator Winner of Master Storyteller Competition 1: Ancient Ruins Gold Medallist in MDMC 38: Populate a map I placed first (that's right, FIRST!) in the second CowCon: "We All get Old" Contest! Gold Medallist in MDMC 42: Create a Remote Location Winner of Master Storyteller Competition 7: I am Legend Best in Category: Rules Use - Hero Craftsman 17 Best in Category: Clarity - Hero Craftsman 17 Second place in Master Storyteller Competition 6: Fall from Grace Silver Medallist in MDMC 32: Magic Item Spectacular Joint Silver in Hero Craftsmen 6: The Frostfell Silver medallist in Hero Craftsman 17: We're going Underground! Silver Medalist in Hero Craftsman 18: We need a Hero! Silver Medalist in Hero Craftsman 20: Back to School
Show
http://drewbaker.com/warlord/images/group9/Durga.jpg Now that's a half-orc! Like Joe Wood? Meet Gwen. http://tinyurl.com/ringofnine
If you think commoners can't do anything, you should meet Joe Wood! The pen is mightier than the sword - but only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett Methinks (still) wizards bit off more than they can chew. fantasy-28.gif
well with everyone helping on the fields, i don't see why it would take more than a couple of days to get a solid 3-4 acres sorted out and ready. if i recall correctly there was talk of garfunkels gang poking around at trying to find some natural ore nearby (possibly in the redoubt?) after the fields are set up the group might split up into 4 groups. garfunkels gang going out to locate some metal, various people to acquire lumber, koren's gang and others to help build, and vharas and senzor and a few others to work on getting the smithy up and running.

"Resources for the refugees
Who can bring what to contribute to the development of a new settlement?

For reference, look at Pk's resource breakdown to see what is available and what is needed (or wanted.) Also remember, whatever the settlers are unable to provide initially, the wealth of both The Merriweather Household and Ariana, the Falconer (and possibly The Neya Family) can contribute to the rest."

well according to the resource list, everyone's belongings are pretty much accounted for. as far as what is lacking that the new town will need goes:

seeds-there was some on the list, but to cover 2-6 acres they'll need more. not sure on what veggies they have access to, but i know that cucumbers and cabbage do pretty well for late crops, i'll read a bit more to get a better list though. plus any and all grain seed would be of use since they'll need it for bread and horse feed.

a few good sturdy axes-these could possibly be made as long as the group has one or two to start with, but if they don't, getting there hands a few is going to be a high priority.

block and tackle-hard to weigh the usefulness of such a useful item. if they don't have a one or two, they'll be wanting one.

various hammers, hatchets, trowels, shovels, and hoes. these will be for everything from down nailing planks with wooden studs, to laying morter, and more.

anvils-the smiths will need quite a few in order to do their job. to get them running, it'll probably take 3 or 4 different ones. they can always get the rest later.

a loom and spinning wheel-yes this could be built, but i wasn't sure where the wire/thick thread would come from. maybe it would need to be buoght, maybe not. speaking of which-sending the sisters out to locate what sort of plant resources are avaiable might a good choice as well.

if they think they'll be able to keep them alive through the winter some milking cows wouldn't be a bad choice either.

that's all i've got for the moment. more later.
Dougan,

My friend and brother-in-arms, I just got back and am letting all this soak in. Some, if not all the posts are great...! The creativity is wonderful.

Count me in, if you'll have me.

Rocky
Dougan,

My friend and brother-in-arms, I just got back and am letting all this soak in. Some, if not all the posts are great...! The creativity is wonderful.

Rocky

[Cartman]Sweeeet.[/Cartman] :D
1 I like the idea of keeping Moses in the dark about the cause of her power loss and the dragon. As an attempt to try and regain the favor of her patron (who is a demon, but do we have a name for it yet? Are we going to use a major Archduke? If so I vote for Asmodeus. If not I vote to look here

She chose to lead the people to the redoubt(how did they know of it btw? Was this already discussed?) in order to build again. Her intent is to have a sort of rebirth of society that moves away from a noble/royalty based system and instead focuses on the needs of all those in the city not just the 'higher' castes. Perhaps a democratic rule, perhaps not but the above would still be a theme in any government or leadership set up (however temporary).

I also would like to make a move to change the name Moses, it seems very masculine to me.

2. Something that should be kept in mind regarding resources is that we do not need iron immediately. Of course it's the best resource to progress technology but we can start with what we have. For example:

Since we live along a river, we could make do with brick houses (dried mud blocks) although we seem to have a good number of ways to access lumber.
Instead of nails we can use wood stubs, for axes we can use stone, for farming implements we can use wood. Many civilizations have used these resources for lack of a solid iron source.

For defensive purposes we can also use stone, wood, bone and horn. Bows, arrows and spears are the easiest weapons to learn basic techniques for and can easily be constructed of primitive materials.

Carts: I doubt that most of those who came would have walked. Someone (maybe I'll do this later) should go through and figure out who would have brought a cart. The two noble families should have one each. I would think Moses would have prepared her own cart full of supplies (food, seeds and the like).

3As for the state of the redoubt: I would vote for minimalistic. A single great hall with three floors (one below ground) that could eventually serve as the town hall/other place of governance. Rather then describe the rooms as 'big room A' I'll say what I think it should have in reference to what the rooms would have been when it was a dwarven(or otherwise) fortress:
a main hall
an armoury
several small guest rooms (perhaps one floor dedicated to this. Would have been captain's quarters and the like)
a kitchen area
a cellar( located in the basement floor)
a small dungeon with one large cell (the doors and such could be rusted and worn so the room could be refit to be something else, or in good enough condition to re-use;also located in basement floor)
an outdoor training area (An area of sand located in the fore or back of the building)
an indoor training area

Also inside the walls could be a single stable building. This would give us a place to store the horses and goats and carts for the moment.

I second the placement of a small scout/forward tower outside the walls. I see the cavern as being behind and outside the walls since most of it is unexplored. It could be fearsome looking with large stalagtites and stalagcites bearing down like the fangs of a beast [okay maybe that's tooo corny and traditional though].
Dougan,

Rocky

Come on in, it's nice to see you again. Please, pull up a seat, and tell us a little.
1 I like the idea of keeping Moses in the dark about the cause of her power loss and the dragon. As an attempt to try and regain the favor of her patron (who is a demon, but do we have a name for it yet? Are we going to use a major Archduke? If so I vote for Asmodeus. If not I vote to look here

I'm not sure the name of the devil is very important, Asmodeus is as good as any other. Asmodeus, who is now a god, would be capable of making the lighthouse, which is equivalent to a 3.X major artifact. The 'patron god' never existed, rather the 'divine power' was drawn from the caged gold dragon in the light house, created in a pact between Thorast Kax and the devil.
She chose to lead the people to the redoubt(how did they know of it btw? Was this already discussed?) in order to build again. Her intent is to have a sort of rebirth of society that moves away from a noble/royalty based system and instead focuses on the needs of all those in the city not just the 'higher' castes. Perhaps a democratic rule, perhaps not but the above would still be a theme in any government or leadership set up (however temporary).

I don't see a priestess who has just lost most of her power (her "non-pure-faith" based powers) as our bast candidate for leadership, though she has plenty of reason to go with the refugees, and many may still look to her for guidance.

Ariana, Bofbin Axebreaker, and Moses, all meet in the Dragon's Berth (owned by Bofbin's son and Jeffers) some short time after the gold dragon's rampaging is finished. They all agree that the dragon will most likely come back, and it is best to leave the city; an idea contrary to the popular opinion in the city (read: cover up by the church and ruling aristocracy). Bofbin brings up the redoubt, which he remembers from his time served in the dwarven armies as a cartographer, and they all decide together to leave the city with as many people as they can convince, including Lyndon Merriweather, who is coerced/blackmailed into the deal for certain indiscretions in the tavern (throwing himself at Ariana, a noblewoman by birth).
I also would like to make a move to change the name Moses, it seems very masculine to me.

The name is masculine, but the naming conventions of tieflings are so varied, that Moses still fits. We all recognize that the name is masculine, and that makes her unique. If you have suggestions for other names, feel free to post some, but I have grown quite fond of calling her Moses, so you can be pretty sure where my vote will fall.
2. Something that should be kept in mind regarding resources is that we do not need iron immediately.
snip
Of course it's the best resource to progress technology but we can start with what we have. For example:

Since we live along a river, we could make do with brick houses (dried mud blocks) although we seem to have a good number of ways to access lumber.
Instead of nails we can use wood stubs, for axes we can use stone, for farming implements we can use wood. Many civilizations have used these resources for lack of a solid iron source.

For defensive purposes we can also use stone, wood, bone and horn. Bows, arrows and spears are the easiest weapons to learn basic techniques for and can easily be constructed of primitive materials.

Carts: I doubt that most of those who came would have walked. Someone (maybe I'll do this later) should go through and figure out who would have brought a cart. The two noble families should have one each. I would think Moses would have prepared her own cart full of supplies (food, seeds and the like).

A very good point, combined with the fact that they will bring most of the tools that they need, and perhaps some iron ore, it could be a couple of years before iron ore is truly needed. If this is to be used as a place for adventurers to stop off at (and it will), then iron ore becomes very important for equipping said PC's. Combine that with an ever growing city and a points of light setting, and iron ore is essential.

Perhaps there is a vein of ore that intersects with the staircase? Assuming some time passes before the staircase is even discovered, this gives us some time before ore is found, and a preformed tunnel to access it.
3As for the state of the redoubt: I would vote for minimalistic.

I'll stop you right there. I don't think we are on the same page here. Though this hasn't been discussed to great length, nor very recently, so I don't blame your misconception.

The original idea was a small cave, that the refugees could seek shelter in. As we have a somewhat large group of refugees, and a natural cavern would be problematic for housing our future citizens, I suggested that the cavern be worked stone (flat floors, no danger of stalactites/stalacmites, etc.) in the form of a dwarven redoubt (a temporary defensive structure. Hence the redoubt is merely a cave which has been carved out to be suitable for habitation. Because of the nature of the structure and time constraints, the dwarves would not have mined out lots of separate rooms, etc, but rather one great hall/multipurpose room that could accommodate a small regiment of dwarves (packed very tightly).

This means, no outer walls (the cave walls work just fine), tiered floors (difficult to engineer underground and not efficient), or dungeon (no prisoners behind the defenses).

While there may be a few separate rooms, carved out further down the passage ways to separate the wounded from the fighting men, to store food and supplies, and perhaps a fall back position (located at the top of the secret/hidden staircase), it is not a full blown keep/castle type structure. It is a temporary defensive structure built in the pass that separates the valley from the mountains behind them (where you will find all of your dwarven ruins :D).

I hope this makes things a little more clear.

All that said, please continue with the awesome ideas, it is doing wonders for generating and refining the concepts that will go into TBACT4!

~Pk
Ah the bit about Moses leading was also a misunderstanding. I'm just full of those like swiss cheese with holes. Damn!!

For the name, I suppose I'll let it grow on me. I keep forgetting about the weird tiefling naming.

Iron: With the redoubt being IN the cave(a thing I really did not understand until now) we could probably have an iron vein found somewhere deeper back in the caverns although still close to the opening.

[Insert silly stuff said here]

For food I say we plant wheat/barley. It has the best output. But that's just boring so how about we discover a unique crop to the area? Say a type of pale grain that grows underground without light from the rock walls needing only water to survive/give off enough grain to feed people? Or even nifty giant mushrooms. Eithero f these (or any other type of strange/unique plant) could be found within the cave growing naturally. It would do two things at once: Prevent us from having to worry immediately about harvests (plants could be planted with the intent to be for next harvest or at least partly) and give the town an interesting if quirky aspect.
Or even nifty giant mushrooms.

"Here try this mushroom."
"No! You eat the mushroom!"
"Where is Mikey? He'll eat anything."
Can I vote to have the first child born be named Mikey 'Mushroom' [last name]?
wouldn't the mushrooms seem a bit too convienant? i mean it already has a heated water supply, wouldn't heated water AND naturally growing food be a bit on really damn lucky side? personally i'd like to see the redoubt barren be dusty and forgotten about when the settlers arrive. gives it something of a "it was a pretty decent spot, but we had to work hard to make it work" vs. "we were pretty much guarenteed success".
Can I vote to have the first child born be named Mikey 'Mushroom' [last name]?

Jackson, Uther "Bear" Daar, Mikael "Mikey" Karlsson, and Puma Felidae, cattle wranglers and ranch hands (4 adults; 3m, 1f).

Description: The distant flames seemed to light up Jackson's eyes against the canvas of his dark skin in the shadows of the night. His first thoughts were of Ariana. He thought she had said she was coming back to the city today. For once he hoped that she was late.

Jackson found Bear, his face buried in his meaty paws. A man who could bare knuckle coldcock a horse, reduced to a whimpering child. Bear's horse was a heavy clod, too dumb to flee.

Puma, arguably the most cunning wrangler, had managed to wrangle a dozen head of cattle up into a draw, trusting (correctly) that the others would find her.

The three found Mikael, the youngest, smallest of the wranglers, still sound asleep back at camp.

That Mikey...
Updated refugee, resource, and skill breakdown:
HUMANS:
Carpenter's Family
Koren (carpenter), plus wife and two sons (2 Adults, 2 Children; 3m, 1f).

Description: Koren grew up in a seaside city, learning his father's trade and becoming an accomplished shipwright. When he lost both of his brothers to the sea, he closed up shop and moved inland, where he as worked as a carpenter in [Old City]. While much work was available in [Old City] after the dragon attack, Moses convinced him that the attack was not over. Since moving to [Old City], he has bowed to the demands of his customers and kept to the prevailing styles of the city, but now he feels a renewal of his youthful ambitions and dreams, and Koren thinks he can make a mark in this new settlement, artistically speaking.

Skills: Carpentry (Koren and his sons), wicker weaving (wife).

Resources: Carpenter's tools, a cart (for hauling lumber) and mule.
Nan Kya's Orphans
Nan Kya (cook and herbalist), Jessie (stablegirl), Tam (linkboy) and Rat (mudlarker and occasional pickpocket) who currently has a badly sprained leg. (1 elderly, 3 children; 2m, 2f).

Description: Nan Kya is unofficial third granny to many of the children in the slum quarter of [Old City] and when disaster struck and scattered their families, it was Nan Kya that the lost children gravitated to. In the days that followed, most of the children were reclaimed by their parents, older siblings and street gangs, but three remain with nowhere else to go and Kya has taken them under her wing.

Although justifiably renowned for her ability to make even the poorest food taste good, it is in fact the medical side of her herb lore that the local adults revere. Nan Kya, they say, is the person to turn to when you can't go to the temples and the official healers or alchemists - for whatever reason, be it cost, or fear, or simply having a bounty on your head.

Skills: Cooking, healing, and herbalism.

Resources: Spices, herbs, and a grand old black cauldron.
Noble Swine
Lyndon Merriweather a noble, his wife Fionna, and two daughters (2 adults, 2 children; 1m, 3f).

Description: Lyndon Merriweather had come from a prestigious, well-to-do family. His family holdings were spread far across the city, with monetary influence in almost every walk of life. Lyn had it all. And he wasted it daily. He was a spoiled, rich brat, never having to work a day in his life for anything. Everything that he wanted he could purchase, from his clothes, to his house, to his "education", to his every whim. Typically, he could be seen at one of the local taverns, frittering away coin on boozing, gambling, and whoring. No one really liked him, not that he cared; with all of his money and power, no one could really do anything about it. This was a life that he was used to.

He had an arranged marriage, and wasn't even old enough to speak up for himself when the deal was made. With his own inheritance and the dowry of his wife, he would have been able to drink away the next fifty years, had he lived that long. Fionna was pretty, though not as stunning as some of the women that he frequented. They had two daughters who barely knew their father.

Lyndon became the unwilling financier of the refugees, when he tactlessly threw himself at Ariana, not realizing that she too was of noble birth. The fact that his money had bought many of the provisions was a fact that he would not soon forget, and would lord over any who questioned his slothfulness.

Skills: None.

Resources: (TBD)
Wranglers
Jackson, Uther "Bear" Daar, Mikael "Mikey" Karlsson, and Puma Felidae, cattle wranglers and ranch hands (4 adults; 3m, 1f).

Description: The distant flames seemed to light up Jackson's eyes against the canvas of his dark skin in the shadows of the night. His first thoughts were of Ariana. He thought she had said she was coming back to the city today. For once he hoped that she was late.

Jackson found Bear, his face buried in his meaty paws. A man who could bare knuckle coldcock a horse, reduced to a whimpering child. Bear's horse was a heavy clod, too dumb to flee.

Puma, arguably the most cunning wrangler, had managed to wrangle a dozen head of cattle up into a draw, trusting (correctly) that the others would find her.

The three found Mikael, the youngest, smallest of the wranglers, still sound asleep back at camp.

That Mikey...

Skills: Handling animals and martial training.

Resources: Four well bred riding horses, riding gear, whips and other weaponry.
The Farmer's Family
Costran, Farm Family Patriarch, plus wife Dhalitha and sons Dexis and Lorten (1 elderly, 3 adult; 3m, 1f).

Description: Costran has farmed all his life, and is rather successful about it. He oversees large farming plots outside the city, growing crops on rotating years, and even trying his hand at winemaking as a hobby. He has four three strong sons from his first (late) wife, and has remarried Dhalitha , an attractive young foreign-born dancer Costran met in the city, much to the dismay of his sons who think she might be after his land and money. In his youthful days, Costran became a devoted follower of the local religion, converted by the newly-confirmed priestess Moses. When he heard that Moses was having a bit of a crisis of faith, he decided to follow her on her pilgrimage, and make sure these "danged younguns who ain't known a hard days work" didn't get themselves in trouble. He turned his farm over to his eldest son and his wife to take care of while he went on this little trip, and took his two younger sons Dexis and Lorten along with him.

Skills: Farming (Costran and his sons), wood-cutting (Lorten) and entertainment (Dhalitha).

Resources: Farming implements (plow, etc.), (?) seed and a couple of good draft horses.
Hoffman Family
Randell, wife Jacqueline, brother Jarett, and son Payton (3 adults, 1 Child; 3m 1f)

Description:With their parents recently deceased, Randell and Jarett maintained a small potato farm far outside of [Old City]. On [Old City's] fateful day, the Hoffman family only saw brief glimpses of the life altering event. When refugees started making their way out, they threw the farmstead open to help those in need. Sticking together and helping out where ever they can, they joined the refugees out to a future unknown.

Skills: Potato farming (Randell), wood-cutting (Jarett) and mending (Jacqueline).

Resources: Mule, cart, plow and potatoes.
Ariana the Falconer
Ariana: falconer and prodigal noble (1 adult; 1f).

Description: Born the unexpected fourth child to the noble Aquila family allowed Ariana to be freed of most of the obligations and expectations of her older siblings. Lacking a strong hand to guide her into being a typical noble, Ariana found herself drawn to the wilderness and the freedom to be found there. Though considered uncouth and snubbed by her noble peers, it was this relaxed nature that allows her to interact easily with commoners and has allowed her to stand forward in these times of troubles.
Full Description Found Here

Skills: Wilderness survival, diplomacy and martial training.

Urchin Bandon
Urchin, once homeless (1 adult; 1m)

Description: Like any street kid, Klein "the Urchin" Bandon had had a hard life, one which nearly doubled his apparent age. Now sixteen, he looked nearly thirty, which had played to his favor. He was uncommonly strong for his age, which could be attributed mostly to his iron will and good cooking. His strength, combined with his older looks, had allowed him to work at the docks since he was only twelve. The wages barely paid for food, so what food he bought was usually in the form of raw ingredients, which Nan Kya, his adopted grandmother, was more than willing to cook up.

The docks were closed for solstice, which left Klein to his other "profession", spending the day collecting on the generosity of others. He was at the temple pavilion when the lighthouse gave birth to the cursewarped terror, and was one of the many ushered inside the safety of the temple walls.

In the aftermath, there were not enough common labor jobs for even those that were recently made homeless, let alone those who had spent a lifetime in poverty. When Moses approached him about going with the small group of refugees, he knew his bargaining chip. Thanks to Nan Kya's kindness, he was an ox. It was no surprise that his agreement came with the condition that Nan Kya be allowed to go as well.

Skills: Heavy lifting, jack-of-all-trades.

Resources: None.
DWARVES:
Axebreaker Clan
Bofbin Axebreaker (cartographer and scholar) and his wife Darea (2 elderly; 1m, 1f).
Helthal (soldier), Bofbin's son, and his wife and children (1 elderly, 2 adults, 1 child; 2m, 2f).
Orion (barkeep), Bofbin's grandson, and his wife (2 Adults; 2m, 2f).

Description: Bobfin has seen his children succumb to the wandering nature of his youth, and without much success. He has committed too many of his children and grandchildren to the earth long before their time, and except one son, a daughter, and his grandson, his few living decedents are scattered to the winds.

Skills: Various.

Resources: Charts and maps, a small collection of books, axes, armor, etc...
Dirt Farmers
Darryl One-eye (retired mercenary) with his farmer father, his wife Deurana and baby daughter (1 elderly, 2 adults, 1 child; 2m, 2f).

Description: Darryl heard the dragon wings before his remaining eye spotted the fires springing up in its wake. He managed to get down into the cellar with his wife, his baby daughter and his doom-and-gloom father before the dragon reached them - along with a goat that was about to kid. The group huddled at the back of the cellar and waited for the beast to go away.

When they finally emerged again, there were 4 goats to lift out of the cellar and all the grain fields were burnt flat.

Skills: Farming and masonry.

Resources: 1 goat, 4 kids, and the miscellaneous contents of the cellar (everything else was burnt to the ground).
HALFLINGS:
Garfunkle's Gang
Garfunkel (prospector) and Ginger Rabbitsnare and Garf's tag-along "little" brother Benji (3 adults; 2m, 1f).

Description: What happens when you cross a stream loving halfling and a stream of good luck? A halfling gold prospector! Sifting gold from the very streams he lives on, the young gold-seeking halfling, his newlywed wife, and brother make a fine addition to our group!

Skills: Prospecting (Garfunkel), mining (Garf), and trapping (Ginger).

Resources: Pickax, snares, and a gold pan.
Janis and Sons
Janis (woodswoman), and her two twin sons (1 adult, 2 children; 2m, 1f).

Description: Janis and her late husband spent a lot of time in on the rivers and in the nearby forests, but when her husband died when her sons were infants, Janis settled down to care for them. Janis found a friend in Ariana the falconer, and taught her much of what she knows of the forests.

Skills: Wilderness survival (including fishing and trapping).

Resources: Fishing lures, twine, a hatchet, and skinning knife.
The Lucky Trio
Gillybloom (f), Taffle (m), Tansy (f child) (2 adults, 1 child; 1m, 2f).

Description: It was originally part dare, part coming of age celebration (apart from someone's tag-along kid sister determined to prove she was just as good as the rest of them). They were all going to climb the lighthouse and wave flags from the top. Gillybloom was leading the way when the beast broke out, hurling them all in different directions. Gillybloom and two others were lucky enough to land in the softish mud of the riverbank, but they haven't seen any of their friends since. These three, Gillybloom, Taffle and Tansy, now stick together as a personal reminder not to be so foolish again.

Before the [Old City] was attacked, Gillybloom was learning to scout ahead and around and Taffle is an apprentice sail & rope-maker. Tansy is still a generalist, used to pitching in with any task that needs help.

Skills: Scouting (Gillybloom) and rope/sail making (Taffle)

DRAGONBORN:
Yorcha and Yishi
Yorcha (mercenary warrior), and Yishi, her 11 yr old squire with dreams of working magic(1 adult, 1 child; 2f)

Description: This was supposed to be an easy hire. Or so the recruiter had claimed. Just standing guard in a city where the threat had already left. No problems, just routine watches from battered walls.

That's why Yorcha had brought her young cousin Yishi as her squire, hoping that the youngling would gain enough experience in the trade that she would actually settle down and work instead of craning her neck after every mage that walked past.

If only she had known that it wasn't over...

Skills: Martial training.

Resources: Weapons and armor.
Double Dragons
Ghoros, first out of the egg, and Ghent, who followed (2 children; 2m).

Description: A rarity indeed, twin dragonborn are almost unheard of. Born of the same shell, Ghoros is the stronger of the brothers, while Ghent is more clever. The two are in constant competition, and had been in a footrace (Ghoros leading, of course) when the cursewarped dragon shook the world. They never found their father.

While Ghoros leans more towards the martial persuasion, leaning to the hand-and-a-half swords like their father, Ghent keeps his head in books, trying to wrap his intellect around the concepts of the arcane arts. However, without a teacher, it would be a surprise if Ghent ever mastered more than the most basic of cantrips.

The twins soon come of age, a time of power for dragonborn when inherent abilities manifest. Only the gods know the fates of the double dragons.

Skills: Arcane (Ghent) and martial training (Ghoros).

Resources: A book on arcane magic and a relic katana.
Deethra, new mother
Deethra, inactive dragonborn mercenary, and her unhatched egg, name undecided. (1 adult, 1 child; 1f, 1 unknown)

Description: Deethra had entered [Old City] a few weeks before solstice. After years of mercenary service, she needed to settle down for a bit. Gestation would soon be over, and she needed a place to rest, lay her egg, and raise her child. She spoke with the elders of the temple near the lighthouse, and they did what they could to accommodate her.

Her labor began on the eve of summer solstice. Feasts and festivities were well under way already, and it seemed to be a glorious day to birth her young. The labor was long, too be sure, but no matter for her; young born on solstice was an auspicious event. She was excited, both for herself and her child. That is, until it happened.

The egg began to crown at dusk on solstice, and as the sun set the ground began to shake. Everyone stopped what they were doing, and when the sun dropped beneath the horizon, a tremendous explosion shattered the lighthouse. All that could be seen was smoke and flame. And at that moment, the egg was laid, and Deethra collapsed from exhaustion.

When she awoke the following morning, many of the priests were unconscious, if not dead, though her egg seemed healthy. She was still exhausted from her delivery, but was compelled to investigate. It was then she met Moses, as the visibly shaken priest insisted that Deethra lay back down; Deethra was in no condition to do anything at the moment. The priest then presented Deethra’s egg to her, and was directed to care and watch over it.

As the days past, there was much discussion over the events of solistice; the curse-warped gold dragon laid waste to much of the city. Leaders promised that everything would be fine, and that rebuilding is already underway. But there were some who were unconvinced, and after listening to Moses, she had to agree. This place would not be a safe location to raise her child. She would join the refugees; it was time to leave.

The Smiths
Vharas and Senzer (2 adults, 2m).

Description: By all that is just and true in Dragonborn society, Vharas should have grown up to be an incredible warrior. However, strong blood and great apprenticeships did not overcome his pacifism. After he was formally recognized as an adult, he took the rare step of reapprenticing himself to Senzer, an older dragonborn mercenery who had retired from campaigning and worked as a weapon and armorsmith.

Senzer, not being one for celebrations, was working with Vharas in his shop when the Golden Death struck. Half of the building collapsed, pinning Senzer's left arm to the burning forge-coals. Vharas freed himself from the rubble quickly, and struck off Senzer's arm with a recently forged axe to free his master from his torment and escape the spreading fire.

Senzer has been a shell of his former self since the attack, and with the shop destroyed, there has been little to occupy his time. Vharas heard about this foolish band of refugees, and decided to drag Senzer on one last, and Vharas' first, campaign, in order to rekindle his spirits.

Skills: Blacksmithing, weapon and armor smithing, and martial training.

Resources: Smithing tools, iron ore, and a variety of weaponry and other metal implements.
ELVES:
Twin Sisters Pomi and Loti
Sisters Pomi and Loti, wanderers who had most recently been florists in [Old City] (2 adults; 2f).

Description: Pomi and Loti grew up in an elven community built around a small hillock in the woods. Born as twins they were inseparable, often getting into trouble for finding themselves in places they adults feared they were to young to visit. In truth this was as much due to egging each other on as much as their natural curiosity. As they grew their wanders took them farther and farther afield, so it was no surprise when they announced they had decided to see the world beyond their forests. Traveling mostly by foot on the few roads available for over five years they were lucky to pass by most of their potential obstacles, but eventually news of their elder sister's declining health directed their travels to [old city]. Upon arriving in [old city] they found their sister had passed on and a niece, Mililani (half-elf), in need of a family so they agreed to take a short break. Two years later they had their florists business thriving but were starting to feel the need to wander again when the dragon broke free...

Resources: Gardening tools and exotic seeds.
Marlola
Marlola and her infant, half-dragon son, Acharis (draconic, meaning emerald hope) or "Chris" (adult 1, child 1; 1f, 1m).

Description: With the sun on her face and the smell of the forest enveloping her, Marlola realized she was free. She wondered the forest, praying to find her village, but no stream or tree ever looked familiar. She survived as best she could and gathered what food she found when the time for her son's birth approached.

When the refugees found her by following the cries of her child, they found her half starved and near death. The baby boy was well nurtured and healthy, for Marlola gave the boy all she could. They took her in and cared for her. The secret of the boy's father remains hidden away in the her nightmares, while she remains fearful of what others may think of him if they knew the truth.

HALF-ELVES:
Mililani
Mililani the young niece of Pomi and Loti, and barwench from the Dragon's Berth (1 adult; 1f).

Description: Mililani is a young half-elf (16 years old) living with aunts Pomi and Loti while working at the bar her mother worked in, the Dragon's Berth. Though her father is not publicly known Mililani has lived a life of love and joy, surrounded by the friendly patrons of the bar. Forced to live alone when her mother died three years ago, she was eventually reunited with her elven heritage when her aunts arrived a year later. Though independent and somewhat brash, her ready smile and lively wit has allowed Mililani to avoid most of the troubles that could be expected of a young girl in a large city.

Skills: Diplomacy.

Jeffers
Jeffers, retired guard, co-owner of the Dragon's Berth (1 adult; 1m).

Description: During his last patrol as city guard, a group of burglars had shattered his right leg, and he had been forced to retire from service. Taking what savings he had, Jeffers found common cause at the Dragon’s Berth. Owned by Bobfin’s grandson, Boffin (?), the bar had become seedy and run down, typically losing money to drinks unpaid. Now as co-owner and cook/part-time bouncer of the Dragon's Berth, he has helped turn it into a well-established tavern and inn that typically caters to both city-folk and wayward travelers. On occasion, his right leg would courses with pain, and it always foretelling of a bad day to come. He has a gruff, somewhat reserved demeanor, but is always honest and helpful, and loves to recount his days as a guard.

Resources: His old weapon (the armor belonged to the city).
ELADRIN:
Aust's Entourage
Aust Amakiir (lorekeeper), his "nephew" Tier (escort), and Sylvia (2 adult, 1 venerable; 2m, 1f).

Description: Aust Amakiir lives only half in the world. As his body passes into the ether his soul seems to shine through it like a light. He is not long for the world, which may explain why he seemed as serene as ever while the dragon streaked like a bright golden meteor above the darkened streets of the city.

Amakiir [meaning: beautiful silence of dusk] fancies himself a loremaster, which offers the other explanation as to why he was so calm. He knew. Though it is only speculation, it would explain his timely arrival in the city, the countless hours in the library, and how some books just happened to be in his possession rather than at the library when it burned to the ground.

He arrived in town with two young eladrin, Tier, who he introduced as a nephew, and Sylvia his nephew's bride. Tier has a quick wit, and a quick blade, and never strays far from the company of his uncle. Tier seems to be more of guard and escort than young nephew, though Sylvia seems to genuinely be espoused to Tier.

Resources: Carriage with two good horses, a collection of books saved from the [Old City] library along with many of his own scripts and a light riding horse with gear.
Neya Family
Ovien Neya a noble eladrin with a swashbuckler style, his wife [b]Sooraya[b] (silversmith) and Layla, their tomboyish daughter who is soon to be apprenticed (2 adult, 1 child; 1m, 2f).

Description: Ovien desperately wants to re-establish his family's name. However, rather then acting as an arrogante noble he has decided to hide his background and try to start anew. He knows that others may distrust his noble heritage but he hopes to directly help the people rather then become some overbearing tyrant.

Ovien is tall, with blond hair and fair skin. Purple eyes. Dresses in subdued swashbuckler-esque dress. He has some skill at dueling and training horses but his primary skill lies in diplomacy.

Sooraya is a good hand at silversmithing since she originally came from a poor noble line that had to work hard for a living. She is a moderately attractive woman who emphasizes the strange fey-like qualities of the Eladrin. She walks with a strange grace. Her hair is long and shimmers like silver. Her eyes are as bright as emeralds. She dresses in blue and gold silk gowns still wearing the colors of the Neya family.

Layla is of an eladrin age equivalent to a fourteen year old human. Before the disaster in [Old City], she had been learning various etiquettes involved with being a noble. Now, Sooraya has been trying to keep up those lessons while emphasizing the need to learn a good trade. Sooraya is looking to apprentice her daughter so that she can learn to be her own person. The decision on what trade to learn is up to Layla.

Layla is lithe, quick eladrin with curly blonde hair. She has her father's purple eyes. Layla is the only member of the family to run around in what her parents call 'undignified' dress. She wears leather pants, linen shirts and likes to rough-house with the local children. Her friendly personality has made her several friends.

Skills: Diplomacy (all) and silversmithing (Sooraya).

Resources: A treasure chest with the family fortune, a few well bred horses, to include Ovien's prizewinning stud and mare.
The Orphaned Child
Silaqui (1 child, 1f)

Description: Silaqui had moved to [Old City] with her parents several years ago, while she was still very young. In the aftermath of the first attack, she found herself alone; both parents were slain, and she had no family to care for her. Now a youth, and with noone else to turn to, she joins Nan Kya with the refugees.

TIEFLING:
Moses
Moses, the tiefling priestess (1 adult; 1f).

Skills: Diplomacy, healing, divine abilities and religious knowledge.

Resources: None (due to an aesthetic lifestyle).

(I also added the last eladrin family. )
wouldn't the mushrooms seem a bit too convienant?

If you could live off of mushrooms, yes. As a possible future export, I think the mushrooms are a good idea. The mushrooms do not rule out the need for some sort of grain crop (far from it).
i mean it already has a heated water supply, wouldn't heated water AND naturally growing food be a bit on really damn lucky side?

Is it heated? That would suck... Nothin' better than ice cold mountain stream water. Is it a hot spring? We really need to hammer out (pun intended) this whole (pun intended) redoubt thing...
personally i'd like to see the redoubt barren be dusty and forgotten about when the settlers arrive. gives it something of a "it was a pretty decent spot, but we had to work hard to make it work" vs. "we were pretty much guarenteed success".

On the same page.
To make it easier to see what we have (and need) I have compiled all of the existing skills and resources.

Updated Skill Breakdown:
  • Animal handling (17%; Ariana, Costran, Dexis, Duerana, Jackson, Jarett, Lorten, Mikael "Mikey" Karlsson, Ovien Neya, Puma Felidae, Randell, and Uther "Bear" Daar)
  • Arcane abilities (>1%; Ghent)
  • Carpentry (>1%; Koren [and sons])
  • Cooking (23%; Benji, Costran, dwarven women, Jacqueline, Janis, Jeffers, Koren's Wife, Loti, Nan Kya, Pomi and Loti, Sooraya, and Sylvia)
  • Diplomacy (15%; Ariana, Aust Amakiir, Bofbin, Garfunkel, Ghent, Mililani, Moses, Ovien Neya, Pomi and Loti, and Sooraya Neya)
  • Divine abilities (>1%; Moses)
  • Entertainment (>1%; Dhalitha [dancing])
  • Farming (7%; Costran [wheat], Darryl and his father [dwarven hops and barley:D], Randell and Jarett Hoffman [root vegetables], ???)
  • Healing (7%; Moses, Nan Kya, Pomi and Loti, and Tier)
  • Herbalism (4%; Nan Kya, Pomi and Loti)
  • Knowledge (4%; Aust [arcana, history & lore], Bofbin [cartography, history & tactics], Moses [religion], ???)
  • Martial training (26%; Ariana, Bofbin Axebreaker, Darryl One-eye, Deethra, Ghoros, Helthal Axebreaker, Jackson, Jeffers, Mikael "Mikey" Karlsson, Orion Axebreaker, Ovien Neya, Puma Felidae, Senzer, Tier, Uther "Bear" Daar, Vharas, Yishi, and Yorcha)
  • Masonry (1%); Darryl's Father)
  • Mining (>1%; Benji)
  • Prospecting (>1%; Garfunkle)
  • Scouting (2%; Ariana, Gillybloom)
  • Smithing (4%; Vharas and Senzer [iron], Sooraya Neya [silver])
  • Textile Manufacture (2%; Taffle [canvas & rope], Koren's Wife[wicker])
  • Wood-cutting (4%; Jarett Hoffman, Lorten, and Uther "Bear" Daar)
  • Wilderness survival (14%; fishing, trapping, etc.; Ariana, Ginger Rabbitsnare, Jackson, Janis, Pomi and Loti, Puma Felidae, and Sylvia)
Updated Resource Breakdown:

Livestock:
  • Cattle (13; 2 bulls, 4 steer [castrated], 4 oxen [draft steer], 3 cows [milk])
  • Mules (2; can't breed )
  • Horses (5 riding, 2 draft, 2 carriage, 3+ "other" [Ovien's horses])
  • Goats (1 doe, 4 kids; 2m, 3f)

Transport:
  • Cart (2)
  • Carriage
  • Riding gear

Tools:
  • Armor (???)
  • Cauldron, grand black
  • Farming implements (2 plows, scythes, sickles, etc.)
  • Professional tools (blacksmithing, carpentry, gold prospecting, ???)
  • Laborer's tools (axes, pickax and shovels/spades)
  • Survival gear (snares, fishing lures & twine, hatchets, skinning knives)
  • Weapons (relic dragonborn katana, whips, ???)
  • other metal implements (trowels, ???)

Food/Seed:
  • Herbs (medicinal and spices)
  • Root vegetables ([sweet] potatoes and yams)
  • Seed (dwarven hops & barley, exotic flower, and wheat)

Library:
  • Aust's books (from Thorast Kax's library)
  • Axebreaker's books, charts and maps.
  • Libris Arcanus (Ghent)
as far i knew it was decided to have the stream be a hot spring and provide warm a long time before i got here. at first i think someone was talking about the water being magical, but instead it was just a hot spring. if i'm wrong let me know. though i do believe the water would almost have to be a hot spring to help with the turtles being there, since they are cold blooded creatures and living(sometimes migrating) in a mountainous valley.
I didn't realize the water was heated. I wasn't thinking that the mushrooms are just suddenly 'discovered' and become a primary food source, more like after 3-5 years some type of unique cave growth item is found that can be a tasty treat! Something that isn't too healthy or nutritious but like Perennial said, a good export.

BTW, where did you get the name for Puma Felidae from? I ask because someone I DMed a PbP game for named a puma cat-person Felidae. Curious coincidence :P
ah. i misunderstood about the mushrooms. sounds pretty cool if done that way, could add alot of flavor if used right(pun intended).

this is a pontentially offbeat question, but what are the current thoughts on thorast kax the person. did the dragon get him, did the devil/fey, or did he weasel out of it. i honestly don't think it's unreasonable to say he might still be around. after all we are talking about a guy who was smart enough to outwit a dragon when he was still a young adult, who knows a thing or two about summon/contacting powerful otherworldly beings, and has had 5000(or so) years of experience under his belt. not to mention he knew the day was coming and when it would happen. might be interesting to see what would happen if thorast was able to slime his way out of paying the piper.
I've added the orphans' skills and few resources to the list.
Jessie - animal handling
Rat - slight of hand entertainment and valuation of worked goods and raw materials

Tam - lantern and oil

Updated Skill Breakdown:
  • Animal handling (17%; Ariana, Costran, Dexis, Duerana, Jackson, Jarett, Jessie, Lorten, Mikael "Mikey" Karlsson, Ovien Neya, Puma Felidae, Randell, and Uther "Bear" Daar)
  • Cooking (23%; Benji, Costran, dwarven women, Jacqueline, Janis, Jeffers, Koren's Wife, Loti, Nan Kya, Pomi and Loti, Sooraya, and Sylvia)
  • Diplomacy (15%; Ariana, Aust Amakiir, Bofbin, Garfunkel, Ghent, Mililani, Moses, Ovien Neya, Pomi and Loti, and Sooraya Neya)
  • Entertainment (1%; Dhalitha [dancing], Rat [sleight of hand])
  • Farming (7%; Costran [wheat], Darryl and his father [dwarven hops and barley:D], Randell and Jarett Hoffman [root vegetables], ???)
  • Knowledge (4%; Aust [arcana, history & lore], Bofbin [cartography, history & tactics], Moses [religion], ???)
  • Martial training (26%; Ariana, Bofbin Axebreaker, Darryl One-eye, Deethra, Ghoros, Helthal Axebreaker, Jackson, Jeffers, Mikael "Mikey" Karlsson, Orion Axebreaker, Ovien Neya, Puma Felidae, Senzer, Tier, Uther "Bear" Daar, Vharas, Yishi, and Yorcha)
  • Mining (>1%; Benji)
  • Wilderness survival (14%; fishing, trapping, etc.; Ariana, Ginger Rabbitsnare, Jackson, Janis, Pomi and Loti, Puma Felidae, and Sylvia)
  • Valuation (>1%; Rat [wood, metal, coins, gems, scrap])

Livestock:
  • Cattle (13; 2 bulls, 4 steer [castrated], 4 oxen [draft steer], 3 cows [milk])
  • Goats (1 nanny, 4 kids; 2m, 3f)[more milk]

Transport:
  • Cart (2)
  • Carriage
  • Riding gear

Tools:
  • Armor (???)
  • Cauldron, grand black
  • 1 lantern and oil

Food/Seed:

Library:
  • Libris Arcanus (Ghent)
Competition places
Winner of Hero Craftsmen 3: Gladiator Winner of Master Storyteller Competition 1: Ancient Ruins Gold Medallist in MDMC 38: Populate a map I placed first (that's right, FIRST!) in the second CowCon: "We All get Old" Contest! Gold Medallist in MDMC 42: Create a Remote Location Winner of Master Storyteller Competition 7: I am Legend Best in Category: Rules Use - Hero Craftsman 17 Best in Category: Clarity - Hero Craftsman 17 Second place in Master Storyteller Competition 6: Fall from Grace Silver Medallist in MDMC 32: Magic Item Spectacular Joint Silver in Hero Craftsmen 6: The Frostfell Silver medallist in Hero Craftsman 17: We're going Underground! Silver Medalist in Hero Craftsman 18: We need a Hero! Silver Medalist in Hero Craftsman 20: Back to School
Show
http://drewbaker.com/warlord/images/group9/Durga.jpg Now that's a half-orc! Like Joe Wood? Meet Gwen. http://tinyurl.com/ringofnine
If you think commoners can't do anything, you should meet Joe Wood! The pen is mightier than the sword - but only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett Methinks (still) wizards bit off more than they can chew. fantasy-28.gif
BTW, where did you get the name for Puma Felidae from? I ask because someone I DMed a PbP game for named a puma cat-person Felidae. Curious coincidence :P

You caught me. :surrender

Felidae is the biological family (a step above genus) of cats (i.e. puma).
Tam - lantern and oil

What kind of oil are we talking here? I have been thinking a lot about the self-sustainability of our fledgling community. What happens when the oil runs out?
Refugee
WORK IN PROGRESS...

Updated Refugee, Resource, and Skill Breakdown:
HUMANS:
Carpenter's Family
Koren, his wife, and two sons (2 adults, 2 children; 3m, 1f).

Description: Koren grew up in Thorast Kax, learning his father's trade and becoming an accomplished shipwright. When he lost both of his brothers to the sea, he closed up shop and moved inland, where he as worked as a carpenter.

When the refugees came through his small town, Moses convinced him that the attack was not over.

Since moving inland, he has bowed to the demands of his customers and kept to the prevailing styles of the town, but now he feels a renewal of his youthful ambitions and dreams, and Koren thinks he can make a mark in this new settlement, artistically speaking.

Skills: Carpentry [Koren & sons], cooking [wife], shipbuilding [Koren], and wicker weaving [wife].

Resources: Carpenter's tools, a cart (for hauling lumber) and mule.
Nan Kya's Orphans
Nan Kya (cook and herbalist), Jessie (stablegirl), Tam (linkboy) and Rat (mudlarker and occasional pickpocket) who currently has a badly sprained leg. (1 elderly, 3 children; 2m, 2f).

Description: Nan Kya is unofficial third granny to many of the children in the slum quarter of Thorast Kax and when disaster struck and scattered their families, it was Nan Kya that the lost children gravitated to. In the days that followed, most of the children were reclaimed by their parents, older siblings and street gangs, but three remain with nowhere else to go and Kya has taken them under her wing.

Although justifiably renowned for her ability to make even the poorest food taste good, it is in fact the medical side of her herb lore that the local adults revere. Nan Kya, they say, is the person to turn to when you can't go to the temples and the official healers or alchemists - for whatever reason, be it cost, or fear, or simply having a bounty on your head.

Skills: Animal handling [Jessie], cooking [Nan Kya], entertainment [Rat (sleight of hand)], healing [Nan Kya], herbalism [Nan Kya], scavenging [Rat], and valuation [Rat (wood, metal, coins, gems, scrap)].

Resources: Spices, herbs, a lantern, oil, and a grand old black cauldron.
Noble Swine
Lyndon Merriweather a noble, his wife Fionna, and two daughters (2 adults, 2 children; 1m, 3f).

Description: Lyndon Merriweather had come from a prestigious, well-to-do family. His family holdings were spread far across the city, with monetary influence in almost every walk of life. Lyn had it all. And he wasted it daily. He was a spoiled, rich brat, never having to work a day in his life for anything. Everything that he wanted he could purchase, from his clothes, to his house, to his "education", to his every whim. Typically, he could be seen at one of the local taverns, frittering away coin on boozing, gambling, and whoring. No one really liked him, not that he cared; with all of his money and power, no one could really do anything about it. This was a life that he was used to.

He had an arranged marriage, and wasn't even old enough to speak up for himself when the deal was made. With his own inheritance and the dowry of his wife, he would have been able to drink away the next fifty years, had he lived that long. Fionna was pretty, though not as stunning as some of the women that he frequented. They had two daughters who barely knew their father.

Lyndon became the unwilling financier of the refugees, when he tactlessly threw himself at Ariana, not realizing that she too was of noble birth. The fact that his money had bought many of the provisions was a fact that he would not soon forget, and would lord over any who questioned his slothfulness.

Skills: Entertainment [gambling].

Wranglers

That Mikey...

Skills: Handling animals and martial training.

Resources: Four well bred riding horses, riding gear, whips and other weaponry.
The Farmer's Family
Costran, Farm Family Patriarch, plus wife Dhalitha and sons Dexis and Lorten (1 elderly, 3 adult; 3m, 1f).

Description: Costran has farmed all his life, and is rather successful about it. He oversees large farming plots outside the city, growing crops on rotating years, and even trying his hand at winemaking as a hobby. He has three strong sons from his first (late) wife, and has remarried Dhalitha , an attractive young foreign-born dancer Costran met in the city, much to the dismay of his sons who think she might be after his land and money.

In his youthful days, Costran became a devoted follower of the local religion, converted by the newly-confirmed priestess Moses. So, when he heard that Moses was having a bit of a crisis of faith, he decided to follow her on her pilgrimage, and make sure these "danged younguns who ain't known a hard days work" didn't get themselves in trouble.

He turned his farm over to his eldest son to take care of while he went on this little trip, and took his two younger sons Dexis and Lorten along with him.

Skills: Farming [Costran, Dexis and Lorten], vinification [Costran], wood-cutting (Lorten) and entertainment (Dhalitha).

Resources: Farming implements (plow, etc.), 2 carts, seed [wheat, ???] and a couple of good draft horses.
Hoffman Family
Randell, wife Jacqueline, brother Jarett, and son Payton (3 adults, 1 Child; 3m 1f)

Description:With their parents recently deceased, Randell and Jarett maintained a small potato farm far outside of Thorast Kax. On Thorast Kax's fateful day, the Hoffman family only saw brief glimpses of the life altering event. When refugees started making their way out, they threw the farmstead open to help those in need. Sticking together and helping out where ever they can, they joined the refugees out to a future unknown.

Skills: Potato farming (Randell), wood-cutting (Jarett) and mending (Jacqueline).

Resources: Mule, cart, plow and potatoes.
Ariana the Falconer
Ariana: falconer and prodigal noble (1 adult; 1f).

Description: Born the unexpected fourth child to the noble Aquila family allowed Ariana to be freed of most of the obligations and expectations of her older siblings. Lacking a strong hand to guide her into being a typical noble, Ariana found herself drawn to the wilderness and the freedom to be found there. Though considered uncouth and snubbed by her noble peers, it was this relaxed nature that allows her to interact easily with commoners and has allowed her to stand forward in these times of troubles.

Skills: Animal handling, wilderness survival, diplomacy and martial training.

Urchin Bandon
Urchin, once homeless (1 adult; 1m)

Description: Like any street kid, Klein "the Urchin" Bandon had had a hard life, one which nearly doubled his apparent age. Sixteen, he looks nearly thirty, which played to his favor as a common laborer. He was uncommonly strong for his age, which could be attributed to his iron will and the sweet mercy and good cooking of Nan Kya.

Klein's strength, combined with his rugged older looks, had allowed him to work at the docks since he was merely twelve. The wages barely paid for food, so what food he bought was usually in the form of raw ingredients, which Nan Kya, his adopted grandmother, was more than willing to cook up.

The docks were closed for solstice, which left Klein to his other "profession", spending the day collecting on the generosity of others. He was at the temple pavilion when the lighthouse gave birth to the cursewarped terror, and was one of the many ushered inside the safety of the temple walls.

In the aftermath, there were not enough common labor jobs for even those that were recently made homeless, let alone those who had spent a lifetime in poverty. When Moses approached him about going with the small group of refugees, he knew his bargaining chip. Thanks to Nan Kya's kindness, he was an ox. It was no surprise that his agreement came with the condition that Nan Kya be allowed to go as well.

Skills: Heavy lifting, jack-of-all-trades.

DWARVES:
Axebreaker Clan
Bofbin Axebreaker (cartographer and scholar) and his wife Darea (2 elderly; 1m, 1f).
Helthal (soldier), Bofbin's son, and his wife and children (1 elderly, 2 adults, 1 child; 2m, 2f).
Orion (barkeep), Bofbin's grandson, and his wife (2 Adults; 2m, 2f).

Description: Bobfin has seen his children succumb to the wandering nature of his youth, and without much success. He has committed too many of his children and grandchildren to the earth long before their time, and except one son, a daughter, and his grandson, his few living decedents are scattered to the winds.

Resources: Charts and maps, a small collection of books, axes, armor, etc...
Dirt Farmers
Darryl One-eye (retired mercenary) with his farmer father, his wife Deurana and baby daughter (1 elderly, 2 adults, 1 child; 2m, 2f).

Description: Darryl heard the dragon wings before his remaining eye spotted the fires springing up in its wake. He managed to get down into the cellar with his wife, his baby daughter and his doom-and-gloom father before the dragon reached them - along with a goat that was about to kid. The group huddled at the back of the cellar and waited for the beast to go away.

When they finally emerged again, there were 4 goats to lift out of the cellar and all the grain fields were burnt flat.

Skills: Farming and masonry.

Resources: 1 goat, 4 kids, and the miscellaneous contents of the cellar (everything else was burnt to the ground).
HALFLINGS:
Garfunkle's Gang
Garfunkel (prospector) and Ginger Rabbitsnare and Garf's tag-along "little" brother Benji (3 adults; 2m, 1f).

Description: What happens when you cross a stream loving halfling and a stream of good luck? A halfling gold prospector! Sifting gold from the very streams he lives on, the young gold-seeking halfling, his newlywed wife, and brother make a fine addition to our group!

Skills: Prospecting (Garfunkel), mining (Garf), and trapping (Ginger).

Resources: Pickax, snares, and a gold pan.
Janis and Sons
Janis (woodswoman), and her two twin sons (1 adult, 2 children; 2m, 1f).

Description: Janis and her late husband spent a lot of time in on the rivers and in the nearby forests, but when her husband died when her sons were infants, Janis settled down to care for them. Janis found a friend in Ariana the falconer, and taught her much of what she knows of the forests.

Skills: Wilderness survival (including fishing and trapping).

Resources: Fishing lures, twine, a hatchet, and skinning knife.
The Lucky Trio
Gillybloom (f), Taffle (m), Tansy (f child) (2 adults, 1 child; 1m, 2f).

Description: It was originally part dare, part coming of age celebration (apart from someone's tag-along kid sister determined to prove she was just as good as the rest of them). They were all going to climb the lighthouse and wave flags from the top. Gillybloom was leading the way when the beast broke out, hurling them all in different directions. Gillybloom and two others were lucky enough to land in the softish mud of the riverbank, but they haven't seen any of their friends since. These three, Gillybloom, Taffle and Tansy, now stick together as a personal reminder not to be so foolish again.

Before the [Old City] was attacked, Gillybloom was learning to scout ahead and around and Taffle is an apprentice sail & rope-maker. Tansy is still a generalist, used to pitching in with any task that needs help.

Skills: Scouting (Gillybloom) and rope/sail making (Taffle)

DRAGONBORN:
Yorcha and Yishi
Yorcha (mercenary warrior), and Yishi, her 11 yr old squire with dreams of working magic(1 adult, 1 child; 2f)

Description: This was supposed to be an easy hire. Or so the recruiter had claimed. Just standing guard in a city where the threat had already left. No problems, just routine watches from battered walls.

That's why Yorcha had brought her young cousin Yishi as her squire, hoping that the youngling would gain enough experience in the trade that she would actually settle down and work instead of craning her neck after every mage that walked past.

If only she had known that it wasn't over...

Resources: Weapons and armor.
Double Dragons
Ghoros, first out of the egg, and Ghent, who followed (2 children; 2m).

Description: A rarity indeed, twin dragonborn are almost unheard of. Born of the same shell, Ghoros is the stronger of the brothers, while Ghent is more clever. The two are in constant competition, and had been in a footrace (Ghoros leading, of course) when the cursewarped dragon shook the world. They never found their father.

While Ghoros leans more towards the martial persuasion, leaning to the hand-and-a-half swords like their father, Ghent keeps his head in books, trying to wrap his intellect around the concepts of the arcane arts. However, without a teacher, it would be a surprise if Ghent ever mastered more than the most basic of cantrips.

The twins soon come of age, a time of power for dragonborn when inherent abilities manifest. Only the gods know the fates of the double dragons.

Skills: Arcane (Ghent) and martial training (Ghoros).

Resources: A book on arcane magic and a relic katana.
Deethra, new mother
Deethra, inactive dragonborn mercenary, and her unhatched egg, name undecided. (1 adult, 1 child; 1f, 1 unknown)

Description: Deethra had entered [Old City] a few weeks before solstice. After years of mercenary service, she needed to settle down for a bit. Gestation would soon be over, and she needed a place to rest, lay her egg, and raise her child. She spoke with the elders of the temple near the lighthouse, and they did what they could to accommodate her.

Her labor began on the eve of summer solstice. Feasts and festivities were well under way already, and it seemed to be a glorious day to birth her young. The labor was long, too be sure, but no matter for her; young born on solstice was an auspicious event. She was excited, both for herself and her child. That is, until it happened.

The egg began to crown at dusk on solstice, and as the sun set the ground began to shake. Everyone stopped what they were doing, and when the sun dropped beneath the horizon, a tremendous explosion shattered the lighthouse. All that could be seen was smoke and flame. And at that moment, the egg was laid, and Deethra collapsed from exhaustion.

When she awoke the following morning, many of the priests were unconscious, if not dead, though her egg seemed healthy. She was still exhausted from her delivery, but was compelled to investigate. It was then she met Moses, as the visibly shaken priest insisted that Deethra lay back down; Deethra was in no condition to do anything at the moment. The priest then presented Deethra’s egg to her, and was directed to care and watch over it.

As the days past, there was much discussion over the events of solistice; the curse-warped gold dragon laid waste to much of the city. Leaders promised that everything would be fine, and that rebuilding is already underway. But there were some who were unconvinced, and after listening to Moses, she had to agree. This place would not be a safe location to raise her child. She would join the refugees; it was time to leave.

The Smiths
Vharas and Senzer (2 adults, 2m).

Description: By all that is just and true in Dragonborn society, Vharas should have grown up to be an incredible warrior. However, strong blood and great apprenticeships did not overcome his pacifism. After he was formally recognized as an adult, he took the rare step of reapprenticing himself to Senzer, an older dragonborn mercenery who had retired from campaigning and worked as a weapon and armorsmith.

Senzer, not being one for celebrations, was working with Vharas in his shop when the Golden Death struck. Half of the building collapsed, pinning Senzer's left arm to the burning forge-coals. Vharas freed himself from the rubble quickly, and struck off Senzer's arm with a recently forged axe to free his master from his torment and escape the spreading fire.

Senzer has been a shell of his former self since the attack, and with the shop destroyed, there has been little to occupy his time. Vharas heard about this foolish band of refugees, and decided to drag Senzer on one last, and Vharas' first, campaign, in order to rekindle his spirits.

Skills: Blacksmithing, weapon and armor smithing, and martial training.

Resources: Smithing tools, iron ore, and a variety of weaponry and other metal implements.
ELVES:
Twin Sisters Pomi and Loti
Sisters Pomi and Loti, wanderers who had most recently been florists in [Old City] (2 adults; 2f).

Description: Pomi and Loti grew up in an elven community built around a small hillock in the woods. Born as twins they were inseparable, often getting into trouble for finding themselves in places they adults feared they were to young to visit. In truth this was as much due to egging each other on as much as their natural curiosity. As they grew their wanders took them farther and farther afield, so it was no surprise when they announced they had decided to see the world beyond their forests. Traveling mostly by foot on the few roads available for over five years they were lucky to pass by most of their potential obstacles, but eventually news of their elder sister's declining health directed their travels to [old city]. Upon arriving in [old city] they found their sister had passed on and a niece, Mililani (half-elf), in need of a family so they agreed to take a short break. Two years later they had their florists business thriving but were starting to feel the need to wander again when the dragon broke free...

Resources: Gardening tools and exotic seeds.
Marlola
Marlola and her infant, half-dragon son, Acharis (draconic, meaning emerald hope) or "Chris" (adult 1, child 1; 1f, 1m).

Description: With the sun on her face and the smell of the forest enveloping her, Marlola realized she was free. She wondered the forest, praying to find her village, but no stream or tree ever looked familiar. She survived as best she could and gathered what food she found when the time for her son's birth approached.

When the refugees found her by following the cries of her child, they found her half starved and near death. The baby boy was well nurtured and healthy, for Marlola gave the boy all she could. They took her in and cared for her. The secret of the boy's father remains hidden away in the her nightmares, while she remains fearful of what others may think of him if they knew the truth.

HALF-ELVES:
Mililani
Mililani the young niece of Pomi and Loti, and barwench from the Dragon's Berth (1 adult; 1f).

Description: Mililani is a young half-elf (16 years old) living with aunts Pomi and Loti while working at the bar her mother worked in, the Dragon's Berth. Though her father is not publicly known Mililani has lived a life of love and joy, surrounded by the friendly patrons of the bar. Forced to live alone when her mother died three years ago, she was eventually reunited with her elven heritage when her aunts arrived a year later. Though independent and somewhat brash, her ready smile and lively wit has allowed Mililani to avoid most of the troubles that could be expected of a young girl in a large city.

Skills: Diplomacy.

Jeffers
Jeffers, retired guard, co-owner of the Dragon's Berth (1 adult; 1m).

Description: During his last patrol as city guard, a group of burglars had shattered his right leg, and he had been forced to retire from service. Taking what savings he had, Jeffers found common cause at the Dragon’s Berth. Owned by Bobfin’s grandson, Boffin (?), the bar had become seedy and run down, typically losing money to drinks unpaid. Now as co-owner and cook/part-time bouncer of the Dragon's Berth, he has helped turn it into a well-established tavern and inn that typically caters to both city-folk and wayward travelers. On occasion, his right leg would courses with pain, and it always foretelling of a bad day to come. He has a gruff, somewhat reserved demeanor, but is always honest and helpful, and loves to recount his days as a guard.

Resources: His old weapon (the armor belonged to the city).
ELADRIN:
Aust's Entourage
Aust Amakiir (lorekeeper), his "nephew" Tier (escort), and Sylvia (2 adult, 1 venerable; 2m, 1f).

Description: Aust Amakiir lives only half in the world. As his body passes into the ether his soul seems to shine through it like a light. He is not long for the world, which may explain why he seemed as serene as ever while the dragon streaked like a bright golden meteor above the darkened streets of the city.

Amakiir [meaning: beautiful silence of dusk] fancies himself a loremaster, which offers the other explanation as to why he was so calm. He knew. Though it is only speculation, it would explain his timely arrival in the city, the countless hours in the library, and how some books just happened to be in his possession rather than at the library when it burned to the ground.

He arrived in town with two young eladrin, Tier, who he introduced as a nephew, and Sylvia his nephew's bride. Tier has a quick wit, and a quick blade, and never strays far from the company of his uncle. Tier seems to be more of guard and escort than young nephew, though Sylvia seems to genuinely be espoused to Tier.

Resources: Carriage with two good horses, a collection of books saved from the [Old City] library along with many of his own scripts and a light riding horse with gear.
Neya Family
Ovien Neya a noble eladrin with a swashbuckler style, his wife [b]Sooraya[b] (silversmith) and Layla, their tomboyish daughter who is soon to be apprenticed (2 adult, 1 child; 1m, 2f).

Description: Ovien desperately wants to re-establish his family's name. However, rather then acting as an arrogante noble he has decided to hide his background and try to start anew. He knows that others may distrust his noble heritage but he hopes to directly help the people rather then become some overbearing tyrant.

Ovien is tall, with blond hair and fair skin. Purple eyes. Dresses in subdued swashbuckler-esque dress. He has some skill at dueling and training horses but his primary skill lies in diplomacy.

Sooraya is a good hand at silversmithing since she originally came from a poor noble line that had to work hard for a living. She is a moderately attractive woman who emphasizes the strange fey-like qualities of the Eladrin. She walks with a strange grace. Her hair is long and shimmers like silver. Her eyes are as bright as emeralds. She dresses in blue and gold silk gowns still wearing the colors of the Neya family.

Layla is of an eladrin age equivalent to a fourteen year old human. Before the disaster in [Old City], she had been learning various etiquettes involved with being a noble. Now, Sooraya has been trying to keep up those lessons while emphasizing the need to learn a good trade. Sooraya is looking to apprentice her daughter so that she can learn to be her own person. The decision on what trade to learn is up to Layla.

Layla is lithe, quick eladrin with curly blonde hair. She has her father's purple eyes. Layla is the only member of the family to run around in what her parents call 'undignified' dress. She wears leather pants, linen shirts and likes to rough-house with the local children. Her friendly personality has made her several friends.

Skills: Diplomacy (all) and silversmithing (Sooraya).

Resources: A treasure chest with the family fortune, a few well bred horses, to include Ovien's prizewinning stud and mare.
The Orphaned Child
Silaqui (1 child, 1f)

Description: Silaqui had moved to [Old City] with her parents several years ago, while she was still very young. In the aftermath of the first attack, she found herself alone; both parents were slain, and she had no family to care for her. Now a youth, and with noone else to turn to, she joins Nan Kya with the refugees.

TIEFLING:
Moses
Moses, the tiefling priestess (1 adult; 1f).

Skills: Diplomacy, healing, divine abilities and religious knowledge.

Resources: None (due to an aesthetic lifestyle).

Updated Skill Breakdown:
  • Animal handling (17%; Ariana, Costran, Dexis, Duerana, Jackson, Jarett, Jessie, Lorten, Mikael "Mikey" Karlsson, Ovien Neya, Puma Felidae, Randell, and Uther "Bear" Daar)
  • Entertainment (4%; Dhalitha [dancing], Lyndon Merryweather [gambling], Rat [sleight of hand])
  • Mining (>1%; Benji)
  • Scavenging (>1%; Rat)
  • Shipbuilding (>1%; Koren)
  • Valuation (>1%; Rat [wood, metal, coins, gems, scrap])
  • Vinification (>1%; Costran)

Livestock:
  • Goats (1 nanny, 4 kids; 2m, 3f)[more milk]

Transport:
  • Carts (4)
  • Carriage
  • Riding gear

Tools:
  • Armor (???)
  • Cauldron, grand black
  • Lantern and oil

Food/Seed:

Library:
  • Libris Arcanus (Ghent)
I don't know if we should have the city rely on oil of any type. Although it'd be nice if someone had skills as a chandler for soap/candle making.
What kind of oil are we talking here? I have been thinking a lot about the self-sustainability of our fledgling community. What happens when the oil runs out?

The cheapest sort of oil that a lantern will burn, and probably no more than Tam needs to do a couple of nights of work (lighting peoples' way for them). When he runs out, I suspect he'd just put in a longer wick and use whatever liquid or semi-liquid fat was around and would burn (such as warm and sloppy tallow rendered from animals the town has hunted and killed)

If the oil looks to be a problem, feel free to lose it and just keep the lantern.
Competition places
Show
I for one simply misunderstood the intent of the oil. I don't see a problem with a single flask or so and I don't really know how lanterns work so I can't say anything on the issue of using tallow/animal fat instead.
And now for a fun game!

~Anagram Exercise~

A - E - E - I - L - L - M - N - Q - R - T - U

The priests of Thorast Kax worshiped a unique false god, though the priests unknowingly drew "divine" power from the lighthouse where the gold dragon was imprisoned for countless centuries. Rearrange the letters of the draconic words for light (itmen) and house (quellar) to come up with a unique name for the false god of Thorast Kax!
Qlirtuaelimn? I don't know all I can manage is something sounding like a horrid mix of aztec language and strange sounds. I vote for making it be pronounced like an irish-gaelic word, simply make 3/4 of the letters silent! Qlirtuaelimn becomes "Litulin"
I have:

Quaellim Tren

and
Tel-Milenquar

out of those letters.

Any good?
Competition places
Show
A compiled list of origin concerns:
  • Were the minerals that the Dwarves considered valuable panned/mined out?
  • Did something kick the Dwarves out of the Redoubt?
  • Did the Dwarves discover something in the caves below the Redoubt that made them leave?
  • Was the redoubt may be in such a state of disrepair that occupying it was not viable?
  • Was it somewhat far away from where the main power center of the kingdom was in the past, so that when wars and other world changing events started to happen, the kingdom to whom the fort belonged to couldn't afford to support the fort anymore?
  • Did the dwarves developed stronger walls, better defensive structures or a newer better fort in the same area?
  • Did the dwarves win the war for which they built the fort?
  • What if the cave and redoubt were at the upper elevation of a river valley with a relatively steep grade (20-30%)? Making it too darned inconvenient a climb.
Thorast Kax
Work in progress:
I think survivors in question could be united around some religious (or quasi-religious) institution. That could give them some common cause to fight for. I don't mean them to be religiuos community, lots people could be just paying lip service to it or even refuse it altogether, but it is a uniting force of the community (could be a corrupt force for a darker twist). It gives lots of prophecy-kind hooks for adventures which could be rather simple or twisted and complicated.

I also had an idea regarding a magical source to bring several of the ideas together. I started by taking the idea of a coastal city possessing a similar lighthouse like on the earthberg. Powered by magic (nexus perhaps or a trapped entity similar to Final Fantasy espers), the city was a true point of light. But, like all lights, eventually they get too hot and burn out. In this case, though, it exploded, unleashing a torrent of magical energy across several countrysides, thus bringing us to the present. Now the city lies in ruins, the lighthouse is erratic and dangerous, and a redoubt in a nearby mountain valley is the last refuge for a mere handful of survivors. After that, the redoubt, an ancient dwarven structure, is used as the basis for the new city; think Helm's Deep (from Tolkein) or Thorbardin (Dragonlance setting/Dwarven Nations Trilogy.)

EDIT: I had another idea, spawned by the lighthouse idea. Perhaps the lighthouse is powered by a trapped entity. After centuries of confinement, a crack in its crystal "cage" allowed it to break free, causing a massive explosion. Now, the dragon (not necessarily red, or even chromatic, chaos perhaps), driven mad by slavery, lays waste to the surrounding countryside before departing into locations unknown, as a reminder to the survivors of their folly.

If we use the 'Dragon Gone Mad' idea, I think it would be interesting to use a dragon which is normally good aligned. An insane Gold Dragon ravaging the country side.

I just think it would be nice to try to use something different; give PCs (possibly once they are high enough level) a chance to fight a monster which they normally don't get to see as a monster.

The gold dragon was trapped via magic by a less than good mayor/other official of the town a long time ago. She didn't care what kind of creature she trapped; all she needed was a power source, and she figured out a way to tap into the dragon's magical energies by trapping him -similar to espers as you mentioned.

Perhaps as the crystal cage is only cracked, the entity is only able to come out periodically or at random times (slipping its bonds as it were) before being magically recalled to the crystal prison. If we use something like a fire archon as described in the article on the WotC site, I could easily see it laying siege against the city that kept it prisoner, preventing it from fighting in the war. If we say the creature can not damage the crystal itself, and the presence of other living beings near the cage dramatically increases the likelihood of it slipping free (unstable magic and an inability to fix the cage because you can not get close enough) so much the better. This also leads to a semi-permanent guardian of the old city ruins, especially if the creature is automatically pulled back into its prison if it travels to far when "free".

I think this is a great idea.

But why the gold dragon?

My thoughts...

Perhaps the gold dragon originally helped the town to be founded. Going back to one of the original ideas, it was mentioned that a good dragon was helping to protect the town. Perhaps a few members of the original town council became unsatisfied with the dragon's "rule" over the town. The reason could be anything from feeling that the town was developing too slowly in comparison to a rival town or perhaps they just found the dragon to be overbearing and resented it. Perhaps the reason has been forgotten and various outlawed historical texts have a few versions of the story.

At any rate, at some point the unsatisfied council members made contact with a devil who appeared as a benign entity and promised that the town would be both prosperous and free of the dragon for no less than _______ amount of years. The devil only asked two things: the entire council (including those who had no qualms about the dragon) had to offer the dragon to the devil as a sign of submission, and the town had to build sculptures to worship the devil as a god and praise the devil in their religious services. In fact, the devil at the time claimed to be a deity; the false name that the devil gave became the local deity (or patron saint or whatever) of the town. For thousands of years the inhabitants of the town had/have worshipped the being who would be the reason for the town's destruction.

The amount of time the deal was made for has passed; now the gold dragon (no longer good due to torment and being imprisioned for so long) is released and ravages the town. From here we can tie in the idea I had of this occuring the same night as an attack from a group of hostile humanoids.

One of the huge secrets of this idea is the true story behind the dragon and the devil. Possibly one of the refugees is even a clergy member of the church which praises the devil's false identity (cleric with a few warlock abilities); he starts to notice that some of his cleric abilities are working unusually or maybe not working at all.

That's how I see it anyway.

rather lengthy idea
Thorast had great potential, wise beyond what his youth should have allowed. A strong spirit burnt within him whose drive even gods could recognize. Some learned men might say that his power came too early, that Thorast Kax was doomed from birth, but this is hindsight and old men are prone to speculate on such things when they are no longer important.

Before the city was known as Thorast Kax, it was simply Nesbith, a small sanctuary in the wide woods of the Doulogg Forests. Hardy men cleared out their living from the ever growing circle of trees, others followed in their paths and sowed seed, and a mill made Nesbith a center of agriculture. It was a quiet time in the world.

Trouble never lets peace rest, and the word of the town's success traveled to ears of those who would take advantage. It was only a few gnolls at first, a small band that thought they could easily take what men had made. But the men had a forge, and hard wills, and they held strong against the first threats.

This act of resistance angered the pride of the proud gnolls, and soon it was war. Packs of gnolls gathered to storm the town, ravage it, and leave their mark.

In a twist of fate, such attention from the monstrous races stirred the interest of yet another force in the world, a gold dragon. Gnolls would pose little threat to it, and it's protective nature called out to it. A town worth defending. One that could pay homage to it.

On a fateful morning, the young gold dragon swooped in over the tree line and perched itself atop the mill in the center of town. It was a spectacle than none in Nesbith had ever seen nor imagined. And nary a soul had the courage to approach.

"You have defended yourselves valiantly," boomed the dragon in the common tongue, "but your good efforts do not go unpunished."

Fear gripped the hearts of the people, they saw their end in the gleam of the beast's eye. The dragon saw one who dared glare back, not but a wyrmling, the youth had a bold spirit. You could say that the young Thorast Kax resented the dragon from that moment.

"Armies of gnolls are assembled. They march here to defend their honor, and the honor of their god. But theirs is a twisted honor, corrupt and vile. They will ravage this town and leave no plank unburned or child living."

"We defended ourselves, 'tis all," called the blacksmith, a mighty fighter of age old wars, "and have no quarrel."

"I am bound by truth," roared the young dragon. "My word is law."

The young dragon had a gleam in his eye, hatred boiled within him.

"You will cower down before me, and supplicate yourselves, and I will be your might against the gnoll army."

None opposed him.

When the time came, and preparations had been made, the might of the gnoll tribes were nothing in the face of the gold dragon and the fighting men of Nesbith.

The young dragon took pride in the town, and ruled fairly over them, taking only what grain and livestock he needed to subsist. The town grew rapidly under the watchful eye of the dragon, as did Thorast, who was soon a man.

Thorast resented the rule of the dragon, and remembered the might of men. He knew that the city was capable of defending itself against hostilities, such as the first gnoll raiders. The dragon had even relied on men to defend the town when the gnoll army was on their doorstep, not caring that men lived or died, as long as he triumphed. And now the sloth taxed the town of its very livelihood, literally eating away their profits rather than hunt for himself in the wide woods.

In a dark place of which no men speak, the silent prayers of vengeance were heard, and supernal beings dispatched to his aid.

No one saw the tall eladrin noblewoman enter the town. Illehandir was her name, and she sought the young man Thorast. They conspired. Seeds of discord were planted, and they quickly grew into fruition.

"If you can convince the dragon scoundrel to willingly spill his blood on this contract," spoke Illehandir, weaving her spell over the young Thorast, "he will be bound and in his place you will rule over Nesbith in prosperity until your death, when you will be vaulted up into the heavens to take your place among the noble souls of our god."

Man is corruptable. Thorast was a man.

It was late autumn when Thorast went before the dragon with the contract. His plan hinged on the impetuousness of the young dragon. Were the dragon to read the contract, Thorast would surely die. But his time with Illehandir, sowing seeds of hate among the people of Nesbith, had granted him a silver tongue, and hubris to choke a horse.

"I am owed a debt, fair king," Thorast began his gambit.

"I will judge fairly, as ever," stated the dragon. "With whom is your quarrel?"

A small crown gathered in the center of town, to behold the laying low of the beast.

"Oh great lord, it ways heavy on my heart, but the quarrel is with thee. For I have carried this burden in my heart for fully half of my years and yet the torment still lingers."

"I have wronged no man."

"Nor spilt blood, when men have."

"I am lord of this people for my might, and have never spilled my blood upon the ground."

"Yet my father gave his life in this town's defense along side you."

The dragon thought on this, it being a fair statement.

"What will settle this debt?"

"This is the but the will of my father, and I ask only that you spill your own blood upon this parchment, that we might see it, and know that you are with us and not over us as a tyrant would."

The dragon thought on it, and, without reading the parchment, drew his own blood and dripped it onto the parchment.

His folly cost him his freedom, as chains rose up from the ground and dragged the beast down into the depths of the earth. Where he had stood there was now a gigantic well which descended into the darkness.

The town cheered, free now of the tyranny of the beast. Thorast was exalted as a hero, and a feast held in his honor. He was a king among men, and given place as ruler over the town. For who else could outwit a dragon?

Illehandir, the eladrin noblewoman, ruled by Thorast's side, though he knew her true nature. He had sold his soul for his people, and she only waited to collect it. The eladrin form allowed her to pass as mortal, yet never age.

Nesbith was ruled in peace under the careful eye of Thorast. Seventy years he had reigned before Illehandir approached him with a gift. No more powerful a sacrifice had been made in the name of her lord, than had been done by his hand, and as a gift to the mortal, the lord of the hosts would impart one wish to Thorast.

Thorast thought long. He was damned as sure as he'd been born. His consequence had seemed so far off when he had first beguiled the dragon, but now his time was near at hand. When he fell, he knew that his great city would fall with him, and this saddened him most of all. For all his power, he was impotent.

In a dark chamber, with Illehandir at his side, a mark was set, and her lord called. From the smoke and fire of the mark appeared a great fiend, a lord of the pits of hell.

In that dark room, Thorast made a deal most unspeakable, for knowledge most vile and reprehensible. And in the coming years Thorast did not die. Instead he seemed ageless.

War fell upon the empire of Thorast Kex, though he went undefeated. He was a legend among his own people, Thorast Kex the Ever Living.

Thorast became twisted with the war, sacrificing his foes to the gaping mouth of the dragon pit at the epicenter of his empire.

He was invincible.

Just an idea I had about the original city and the origin of the insane ravaging gold dragon in captivity.

the question becomes: Are the keepers of the pact still the leaders of the city? If the pact keepers fell from public power, the dragon could have been attacking seemingly random targets around the city with a vengeance.

ah. i misunderstood about the mushrooms. sounds pretty cool if done that way, could add alot of flavor if used right(pun intended).

this is a pontentially offbeat question, but what are the current thoughts on thorast kax the person. did the dragon get him, did the devil/fey, or did he weasel out of it. i honestly don't think it's unreasonable to say he might still be around. after all we are talking about a guy who was smart enough to outwit a dragon when he was still a young adult, who knows a thing or two about summon/contacting powerful otherworldly beings, and has had 5000(or so) years of experience under his belt. not to mention he knew the day was coming and when it would happen. might be interesting to see what would happen if thorast was able to slime his way out of paying the piper.

[i]Queen Trillam
Lanterim Quell
Quiet Reallmn
Lantl Requiem
Ramequin Tnell
[/i]
(too) [i]Queer T’naillm
Item Allure IQ
[/i]

...maybe this was a bad idea...
Lumtan Riallee - That's all I got, had to cheat at it too.

Great work on the resources. Been reading along, just haven't thought of much... til now. Unless I'm mistaken, there will be no other settlements in trading distance at the start. Just want to clarify.

As for additional sources of ore, with so few able to be dedicated to the task of mining, the possibility of having the dwarven ruins provide a measurable quantity of raw material may be the way to go. If the ancient battle fields were vicious enough, the battlefield may only have been picked over by rag tag groups of survivors. Our refugees could search the old fields of battle while hunting for game. With a few old suits of armor there would be enough raw material for a plow or two.
And now for a fun game!

~Anagram Exercise~

A - E - E - I - L - L - M - N - Q - R - T - U

The priests of Thorast Kax worshiped a unique false god, though the priests unknowingly drew "divine" power from the lighthouse where the gold dragon was imprisoned for countless centuries. Rearrange the letters of the draconic words for light (itmen) and house (quellar) to come up with a unique name for the false god of Thorast Kax!

Quill Men Tear
Quail Tremlen
Quellar Itmen
Maltern Quilt

(P.S. Yeah, its probably not the best way to go about naming a quasi-diety. :D )

Edit:
Me Quell Train
Quit Near Mell
Name Qitruell
Having the ore inside the caves behind the redoubt seems like a cop-out to me; like we're placing it there because it would be easy for the town to find, and because we can't find some place better.

I was actually thinking that the deposit is elsewhere in the valley (or even in another valley nearby), someplace for the villagers to find. It allows the villagers an opportunity to explore the valley to find the resources they need. Perhaps they'll even find a few new resources to exploit (new herb, animal, etc.)

But, ore would be pretty low on the list of priorities. Now that we have Vharas and Senzer bringing their own iron with them, there should be enough to meet most of their needs. For those things they don't have the ore for (such as tools they might be lacking), either wooden or stone implements (as VampyresThrenody suggested) could be improvised until more ore is made available.

Food, water, and shelter are obviously the first we should consider. Water has been taken care of as a result of the stream pouring from the cave. Shelter also has a temporary fix: the redoubt is still in good condition and could be used in a limited (albeit cramped) fashion; it would also be possible for some of the settlers to bring some canvas tents to sleep outside.

For now, the settlers primary concern would be food. Some of the food could be brought in with the refugees (likely funded by Lyndon), but it would only keep for a short amount of time. Hunting parties would need to be called for, likely headed by Ariana, Janis, and Janis' sons. With such a number of fighting men available (17 out of 69), two small parties of 4-5 each wouldn't be too much trouble.

In the meantime, they'll start to consider more long term food sources. A small party of farmers would head down to the valley floor, probably near the lake or river, locating sites for potential crops. (In addition, some of the herbalists could travel along to find edible/useful plants that they can harvest for the time being.) Once found, they'll start preparing the faster crops first, ones that they'll be able to harvest before the first snows (such as potatoes.) Then they'll move on the to crops for the following season. During this time, the settlers would likely encounter the dire snapping tortoises for the first time.

Lastly, the settlers will need to establish more permanent shelters. The winter snows will be harsh (Ariana, Janis, and the other survivalists might know this), and the redoubt and some tents will be insufficient in the long haul. Therefore, it will be important to acquire some building materials suitable for building some houses around the area (a store house might be useful too.) One larger party, consisting of Jarett, Lorten, "Bear", Urchin, and any volunteers, would venture into the forests to begin harvesting the wood. Getting the wood down the cliff will be an endeavor, but if you pre-cut the lumber and stack it into carts, it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Once all that is accomplished, with crops harvested and houses built, some semblence of a foothold will be established just in time for winter. What happens during the winter would be anybody's guess. But once winter is over and the planting season begun, the settlers can look to expanding their interests in their new home.

Ariana (or Janis) and Gillybloom can take some of Bobfin's maps and explore the valley, Vharas and Senzer can establish a crude smithy with a forge and their anvil near the lake, and ore could be discovered nearby. After it is determined that the town can survive.
WORK IN PROGRESS

The Dwarven Redoubt at Terrapin Falls:
Bofbin Axebreaker suggested that the refugees make for a stronghold, which he had heard about during his military service in the dwarven armies. The Dragonbane Redoubt sat in the foothills of the _______ mountains at the high end of a fertile valley, and had served as a small, temporary defensive fortification.

An outermost wall, twenty feet high, was the first battlement. Stone doors stood sentry at the entrance, that, when closed, formed an angled fortification. A portcullis covered the entrance to the great hall carved from a small natural cavern. Level floors and staircases were expertly carved from the rock to make the front of the cavern easily travelable.

Most of the former redoubt is crumbling, as even the architecture of dwarves are not immune to the percussion of time. Moss grows over the walls along the north side and vegetation covers the stone foundations of ancient structures, long rotted and reduced to rubble. The redoubt, connected to a more extensive cave complex, can be used for shelter and protection well into the development of Terrapin Falls.

A freshwater geothermal spring flows from within the cave complex, thick with the essence of the mountain, the mineral deposits the water picks up as it percolates through the soil and flows out from underground. The stream falls down the switchbacks before collecting in a small loch. Water flows from the south end of the loch, winding down through the high end of the valley, to meet the small river that snakes through the basin at the low end of the valley. The winding river swells in the spring when the snow high up in the mountains begins to melt and again in the fall with heavy autumnal rains.

Llamas wander wild, once tamed for their coats and service as pack animals, a testament to the redoubt’s former inhabitants. Other evidence of the dwarves litter the valley, like the wild grapes that grow where runoff from the mountains meet the loch, and though their fields are long over grown, low stone walls crisscross like a grid across the valley floor. Armor, long devoid of the remains of fallen warriors, are scattered about the valley like so many stones.

Dire giant snapping tortoises (DGST’s)

Local Resources:

Fish, lumber, mine, arable land

Future Developments:
A keep/town hall built on/in/around the cave.
Trade (road, waterway). Over the river you could have another center of the town (later) with a large bridge and
plenty of docks for barges.
  • Sites of importance such as markets and churches would be built at the switchbacks, designed to catch the eye of riders as their carriage makes their slow urns to the next uphill leg of the street, not to mention the occasional street vendor with a mule cart and a keg of ale, providing relief to the thirsts of those unfortunates who have to walk uphill.
  • I picture someone of importance in the city (high priest, governor, lord marshall, whoever) standing upon the wall of the redoubt, looking down the slope of the city, watching citizens and mule-carts making the plodding journey uphill, while an equal number make a more relaxed journey down. As a gentle wind brings the smells of stove smoke and evening meals to the watcher, (s)he watches the last rays of the setting sun through the mouth of the valley.
  • as the patterns of the riverflow became more predictable, channels and levees would be constructed, and the city would expand down to the edge of the river. so that the flowing water can be exploited (waterwheels and such).
  • The river that flows from the cave is thick with the essence of the mountain, the mineral deposits the water picks up as it percolates through the soil and flows underground. One of the first crops the river feeds is a vineyard, cultivated from wild grapevines from the mountains. The wines from these vineyards seem to carry the deep chill of the mountains, coupled with the tears of the hardships borne by the people there. These are not wines to celebrate and make merry with, nor are they wines to drown away pain; these are wines for quiet suffering... for sucesses contemplated in silence... for melancholy...
  • If there is a Magical resource (ley line nexus or font) connected to the caves then this could attract a wide range of classes to the site.
  • Other dwarven ruins may dot the countryside, and after being filled for a while it is sure that dwarven interest will return to these interlopers in what the dwarves once though lost.
  • A long lost important artifact or magical item is at the bottom of the water source inside the cave.
  • deeper in the caves their might be found a Dwarven Temple that was originally established to help strengthen the resistances to things from the Underdark, Feywild Underdark, and Shadowfell. All of these 'mirror' regions could normally be reached within the wandering caves often by accident. The time since the Temple was established and maintained has weakend the magical defenses allowing creatures to start to 'leak' into the depths of the caves.
  • There is the chance that adventures could 'accidentaly' travel through into the Feywild Underdark, Underdark, or Shadowfell. This thus gives the DM almost infinite space to spread out their description of locations and not have to worry of the physics of how big a particular cave size should be or why the players have now encountered truly weird and wonderous things like flows of lava or caves of ice. It also gives a great source for restocking and source for even bigger theats should they realize their is a passage to the main world with a supply of people to enslave, sacrifice, or other.
  • This weakening of barriers could also be the source of the magical font.
  • We could even have the deepest cave of the mountain, with the magic the most concentrated, act as a natural planar gateway. Perhaps the dwarves built there redout here to prevent the formorians from the Feywild from crossing into our realm to aid the giants in the giant/dwarf war (whether the formorians would even be willing to have helped the giants is another matter).
  • It is thus a place that if a person were to learn the correct paths and ways of the caves that they could litteraly gate to any plane of existence.
  • First, when this resource is discovered then you are going to have to deal with the Dwarves of the Empire that abandoned the area and will now want to claim ownership.
  • you will have a number of adventures, merchants, sages and other types moving into the town to find out more of this gateway to everything. Some will come for study and some will come to exploit this gateway.
  • I also might note that if we have refugees moving into the Redoubt then you can figure that mirror events could be occuring in the Shadowfel and Feywild. What those mirror events might look like and effect on the developing town could be another interesting angle to the story.

For Reference:

[*]a cave that is behind the bottom of the waterfall. A vertically spiralling ramp of sorts was carved out of the inside of the mountain in order to get to the top. Not steps, but a ramp...similar to a wheelchair ramp. The carved out area would be fairly small though; the diameter of it would be roughly that of a castle tower. The ramp would be wide enough to fit a few people across and perhapswide enough for a supply wagon, but not big enough for anything much larger than that.
[*]Perhaps originally the bottom was cut off by a portcullis and a few guards, but over time the portcullis rusted and withered away. Also, if anyone did manage to get through, they'd still have a tough time fitting an invasion force through the entrance. Being that it's a spiral, the defenders could perch archers at the top and pick off the attackers as they make the climb or steal a page from the Indiana Jones book and roll large boulders down the ramp.
[*]a waterfall broken by the steps/switchbacks of the city/pass.
[*]we are assuming the valley is pretty fertile in order to grow crops. This would attract other animals there too. Is it a typical european wilderness, meaning wolves, bears, deer, etc, or is are we mixing it up, meaning, owlbears, tigers, lions, giant tortoises, stuff like that?
[*]Shoot, now I just like the idea of giant tortoises living here. Maybe there could be one or two in the fields. They could be just like living landmarks/mascots for the town.
[*]the cliff face that the town is mainly built into is away from the prevailing winds so the snow does not regularly cover up the houses and trails during the normal winter season.
[*]I was thinking that during the warmer months they would spend a lot of time in the water. When winter starts to approach they would spend far less time in the water and eat . In the future it may even become a sign of when the weather is about to change.
[*]Has my idea to have llamas around been accepted? It's not a huge issue, I was just curious.
[*]I figure that most of the wildlife would be similar to the typical European or temporate American ecology: bears, wolves, trout, hawks, etc.
[*]We could also have the tortoises congregate in pods; one to three females, and the rest male. That way, the population is limited, as there would be very few young.
[*]some of the residents may come to discover tortoise meat to be quite nutritious, and they'd end up becoming the predators.
[*]there's not really any predictable path for "prevailing winds" (especially in a mountain valley.) Sure there are trends, even signs, but it's really not practical to protect yourself from only one direction all the time. Air currents, storm fronts, and the like can come from any direction, and there's really no way for the unequipped to tell. Because of the erratic climate changes, snow will fall on the houses, storms will buffet the city, and hardships would probably be fairly frequent.
[*]The turtles then would end up being used as pets, mounts, beasts-of-burden, etc.
[*]having a species of llama indigenous to the area wouldn't be too out of place.
[*]If this valley is cold much of the year, or if the cliff shadow keeps parts of the valley cold, a hot spring would be a significant boost. It would bring in a lot of wildlife even in the coldest months and would provide the refugees a natural heat source to use for their homes.
[*]Hot springs usually just don't freeze, unless they're very mild. Iceland is a good example of this.
[*]Dwarves, now lacking darkvision, would be more likely to use mountain animals for pack animals. Since llama are good on steep and slick trails, but notoriously bad animals for riding the dwarves might like them as beasts of burden.
[*]IMAGE(http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/perennialrook/LocationSketch1.jpg)
[*]I like the Dire Snapping Turtle at the bottom of the valley/falls. Perhaps it's a statue that has been there since the redoubt was discovered. And as a further perhaps, the statue could have been a very old D.S.T. that had a run in with a Basilisk or the like.
[*]Perhaps the DSTs lay their eggs in the small lake, where the warm water (geothermally heated river or hot spring, should we use either) is critical to the incubation of the eggs.
[*]What we know of the cave/redoubt area is that it sit between two valleys: a forested one above the cave, and a fielded under the cliff below.
[*]Whoever abandoned it before left it in fairly good condition, and it can still be inhabited.
[*]Inside the cave (behind the redoubt) is a twisting maze-like cavern complex that includes a spiraling ramp that leads to an opening to the fields in the valley.
[*]a main hall
[*]an armoury
[*]a cellar
[*]an outdoor training area
[*]Also inside the walls could be a single stable building.
[*]a small scout/forward tower outside the walls.
[*]Because of the nature of the structure and time constraints, the dwarves would not have mined out lots of separate rooms, etc, but rather one great hall/multipurpose room that could accommodate a small regiment of dwarves (packed very tightly).
[*]no tiered floors (difficult to engineer underground and not efficient) or dungeon (no prisoners behind the defenses).
[*]separate rooms, carved out further down the passage ways to separate the wounded from the fighting men, to store food and supplies, and perhaps a fall back position (located at the top of the secret/hidden staircase)
[*]built in the pass that separates the valley from the mountains behind them (where you will find all of your dwarven ruins :D).
[*]Our refugees could search the old fields of battle while hunting for game. With a few old suits of armor there would be enough raw material for a plow or two.[/list]
My Concept Sketch of the Redoubt:IMAGE(http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/perennialrook/DragonbaneRedoubt.jpg)
  • Cloister - Inside the outermost 20' wall. Two doors on the west side, each 5' thick, 15' wide, and 20' tall, make this cloister nigh impenetrable.
  • N. Watchtower - Remains of the northern watchtower, now just a low wall, from which crumbling stairs give access to the parapet. The actual tower would have been constructed of timbers, but is long rotted and gone.
  • S. Watchtower - Remains of the southern watchtower, identical to the foundation of the northern watchtower.
  • Great Hall - A 10' wide rusted portcullis gives way to the great hall, 50' across and 65' long. A small staircase leads down from the north wall, and another staircase that runs along the north wall rounds the east wall, where it becomes a walkway leading to area 6. An opening in the southern masonry wall leads to area 5.
  • Stable - A stone trough stretches nearly the length of this room. The trough is fed from a waterfall on the east wall from area 6.
  • Upper Room - This room could have had several purposes.
  • Spring - This natural cavern houses the origin of the geothermal spring.
  • Basemant - A cellar or store room. A passageway into the natural caverns has been masoned off in the north east corner.
  • Natural Cavern - This cavern leads to the spiral ramp.
Pk, with all that you've done, truly you are a source of inspiration to me. Very nice.

I'd like to be the first to vote for this map. It has all the elements that I imagine would be in the redoubt without having too much. It still looks in usable shape, and you've even included some old rotting wood for the ramparts. If there are no objections, I'll make it 'official'.
Make it official!

A compiled list of origin concerns:

* Were the minerals that the Dwarves considered valuable panned/mined out?
* Did something kick the Dwarves out of the Redoubt?
* Did the Dwarves discover something in the caves below the Redoubt that made them leave?
* Was the redoubt may be in such a state of disrepair that occupying it was not viable?
* Was it somewhat far away from where the main power center of the kingdom was in the past, so that when wars and other world changing events started to happen, the kingdom to whom the fort belonged to couldn't afford to support the fort anymore?
* Did the dwarves developed stronger walls, better defensive structures or a newer better fort in the same area?
* Did the dwarves win the war for which they built the fort?
* What if the cave and redoubt were at the upper elevation of a river valley with a relatively steep grade (20-30%)? Making it too darned inconvenient a climb.

Some ideas:
Perhaps the reason the redoubt was abandoned was because the dwarves lost the war. The inside of the fort could have numerous dead inside although perhaps no armor/weapons because whoever they fought took the items. The foes were goblinoid or giant in origin (dwarf v. goblin/giant enmity seems to follow into 4e so why not act on that?) and won by using a cavern somewhere else to access the tunnels behind the dwarven fort. They came up from behind and overwhelmed the soldiers leaving after the took everything of worth.
Interesting images. I like them alot but the seem of a different flavor then one typically gets from d&d commoners. Looks very western/frontier style art.

That said, I think it actually works pretty well if you think about the situation of the refugees. They are after all on a frontier area with little trade nearby relegated to having to build their own town from the ground up.
Sign In to post comments