Request: Temple of Elemental Evil 4th ed? :)

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Since 4th ed is such a big change, I'd love to see a 4th ed version of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.
It's a fantastic adventure, I'd actually like to see it expanded into a hardback.

ALthough set for Greyhawk, it should be easily convertible to most campaigns?
--| SILVERBLADES SUITCASE |-- Dark Sun & Spelljammer digital art & tutorials
Enworlders offered 3ed conversion notes for some classical adventures (like Keep on Borderland), so at least those guys will make 4ed, I bet....
I don't know about the Temple of Elemental Evil (though it is my favorite module), but some kind of mega-dungeon starting at first level (and filled with tutorial side notes) would be a great idea for early release.

Pre-gen characters would also be a good idea for that adventure for first time gamers.
Slwoyach,
oh I'd love a *decent* Undermountain mega adventure! The recent offering was really bad IMHO

having the first couple of levels mapped out, pre-built characters...mmm that'd be fun
Sounds like it would be popular.

However, I fear that it may be seen as "going to the well too often." The 3.0 version came out less than a decade ago, which seems too soon to me. Also, Monte Cook retconned some elements of the original story (IE. the inclusion of
Show
Tharzidun as the BBEG).
That, to me, made it work both as an homage as well as further developing the classic tale. More retconning would seem trite. And a faithful adaptation would be too soon for me.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Yes! Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil is such an excellent huge adventure! I, too, would absolutely love for it to be redone in 4E.

The most successful and exciting adventures I have ever DMed was that one, and my players had a blast with it. There's so much to do and so many roleplaying opportunities there, as well as a good challenge in the later parts.

Although it's set in Greyhawk, I used it in Forgotten Realms with no problem.
I enjoyed the 3rd edition ToEE remake, but I'd much rather see something new for 4E.

Once the initial run of three starter adventures have been published, maybe we will then see one of the Jumbo adventures.
Since 4th ed is such a big change, I'd love to see a 4th ed version of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.
It's a fantastic adventure, I'd actually like to see it expanded into a hardback.

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks! :D

Sorry. No want the T of EE!
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
I'd love to see a ToEE for 4e. However, I think it would be best if they completely redesigned it from the ground up, using the new backstory for the game (such as Tharizdun and the new demons). I would think of it as "Ultimate ToEE," much like the various Ultimate titles from Marvel Comics.
I'd love to see a ToEE for 4e. However, I think it would be best if they completely redesigned it from the ground up, using the new backstory for the game (such as Tharizdun and the new demons). I would think of it as "Ultimate ToEE," much like the various Ultimate titles from Marvel Comics.

Given the Abyss/Elemental plane connection in the new cosmology, the adventure makes even more sense cosmologically than before.
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks! :D

Oh god please no... I didnt like it when it first came out
Could be interesting although I would rather see something fresh and new that was as large and fun.
seeing as I've never actually played ToEE, I'd like to see it in 4E. That one... and... what's the adventure where Geryon (or some devil guy?) is stuck in a wall? I've only heard of it, but it sounds just odd enough for my tastes.
I would rather see a remake of the original ToEE. Return was a great sequel, but I liked the original better. Also, I think ToEE could be a 1-10 adventure whereas they could do awesome things with Return as a 20-30 sequel and having the same heroes come back to fix a mess they didn't quite clean up and which has now gotten way out of hand would be cool, I think.
At least I have my proper avatar now, I guess. But man is this cloud dark.
Fear not, brave minions and PCs!

The Temple is indeed in 4E, as confirmed by Worlds and Monsters.

No, really.

I imagine it will suffer a massive redesign, but really, it's very hard to screw up the feel of the ToEE.
id love to see all the old clasics redone in fourth edition like the saltmarsh series and the slavers and the against the giants and revenge of the lizard king

Sweet! That's awesome!

Is it Return to the ToEE, or the original? I hope it's Return. And I greatly hope it will be out not too long after 4E is released. I already have big plans for my 4E campaign, and that adventure is going to be the big, mid-high level (uh, Paragon) one.

(If WotC didn't remake it by then, I was going to rework it myself, using the new rules -- though I'd rather leave it up to the 4E professionals, if it is indeed true that they will be reviving it.)
Cool!
Not only is the Temple of Elemental Evil going to be a featured setting in the core game, but they are gearing the Elemental Chaos(the replacement for the 4 elemental plains) and largely the elementals themselves along the concept of "elemental evil".
...whatever
Sweet! That's awesome!

Is it Return to the ToEE, or the original? I hope it's Return. And I greatly hope it will be out not too long after 4E is released. I already have big plans for my 4E campaign, and that adventure is going to be the big, mid-high level (uh, Paragon) one.

(If WotC didn't remake it by then, I was going to rework it myself, using the new rules -- though I'd rather leave it up to the 4E professionals, if it is indeed true that they will be reviving it.)

You misunderstand. No actual adventure is planned for the Temple. Only that it is acknowledged to exist in the PoL world. But things could change...

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Fear not, brave minions and PCs!

I was very happy to read that in W&M.

id love to see all the old clasics redone in fourth edition like the saltmarsh series and the slavers and the against the giants and revenge of the lizard king

As would I. My votes would be a revised and updated "Against the Cult of the Reptile God," "Night's Dark Terror," and the Drow series.
You misunderstand. No actual adventure is planned for the Temple. Only that it is acknowledged to exist in the PoL world. But things could change...

..........oh.

By Moradin's Beard! What a shame. Ah well, at least they acknowledge it in PoL, and the new fluff for the elementals/demons/Elemental Chaos is interesting and has great prospects - especially considering how much cooler and varied the actual elementals will be.

I'll just have to convert the 3E RttToEE adventure to 4E rules, and use the new fluff. Tharizdun impatiently awaits to be freed from his otherworldly prison...
ToEE is just a spec in great adventures that would be awesome for 4e.

Paladin in hell
White plume mountain
bobayaga's hut
Against the giants (all of the parts)
Tomb of horrors 1-2
Hellgates Keep
Wild elves
How the mighty have fallin

These are just some they should come out with,and i hope they do.
I would love to see a 4e Castle Ravenloft.

And I'm redoing Expedition to the Pig Lord's Forest for 4e (a custom adventure I made, BBEG was a giant pig, that shot lightning bolts).
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

I would love to see a 4e Castle Ravenloft.

And I'm redoing Expedition to the Pig Lord's Forest for 4e (a custom adventure I made, BBEG was a giant pig, that shot lightning bolts).

If it can shoot lightning bolts out of it's bum, THAT would be impressive! ;)

"FREEEEEEEDOOOOOOM!" :D
I want Keep on the Borderlands, just for the full-circle effect.

... and because low level PCs experiencing their first deaths at the hands of kobolds is just a classic.

Oh come on, you know that bit in W&M was as good as seeing a movie trailer. They didn't include it just for the hell of it....

Trust me, given that we got the various Expeditions to____ in the closing days of 3.x, it's merely a matter of time before see some 4E ToEE products.
I'm putting $1 on a 2009 release.

Someone mentioned them returning to the well too often/soon concerning a new version of ToEE. But what other option do they really have as far as module production goes? I mean, for the most part they apparently lack the skill to write any new modules that will stand the test of time. Other than RHoD, can you name me an original 3.x adventure that you'll be talking about/playing/adapting 20years from now? And yet Keep on the Boarderlands, Ravenloft, Against the Giants, Tomb of Horrors, the drow series & a few others will be on what # of conversion???
(anyways, that's my rant about the quality of modern modules)

It's a great module (and, indeed, a pretty lengthy campaign setting if played correctly). I personally plan on converting it as soon as possible.

Don't wait on others - these things are easily done for yourself!

As for it being set in Greyhawk - well, my version is already set in the Eastmark, and I really didn't have to change much.

David Jackson

... and because low level PCs experiencing their first deaths at the hands of kobolds is just a classic.

In my games, even high level characters get to experience death at the hands of kobolds.

Kobolds are great!
At the D&D experience, at the end of the presentation about adventure modules in the 4th ed lineup, the presenter said (and I quote):

"We might be re-visiting some old favourites as well."

Well, I think ToEE qualifies as an "old favourite", so fingers crossed, eh?
I'd like to see either my favorite 1st ed, and 2nd ed adventures.

From 1st Ed: White Plume Mountian (YEAH!)

From 2nd Ed: Dragon Mountian.

hmmm.. I never noticed all of my favorite adventures concern mountians...

I guess it makes since, seeing as how mountins are the most likely place for classic style "Dungeons" as well as classic style "Dragons"

Aslo perhaps a certian adventure that involves a certian hut, that, say... like to dance? :evillaugh
The mega modules they did for 2ed were nice but Id like to see a remake for 4e of Tomb of Horrors. That module killed more players than I have seen in my 20+_ years of gaming. ITs a classic that needs a good facelift.
Can we get some "Keep on the Borderlands?"

lol... j/k, since I think "Keep on the Shadowfell" is more or less filling the niche of that old favorite.
Temple of Elemental Evil would be nice. Although its actually pretty fun to run that sort of stuff in reverse(although it can get out of hand a bit. Elementals can pull off some interesting tricks. That might lead to a drug war in the sewers over hallucinogenics with crossbows, that eventually leads to the involvement of Greek fire, and flames spurting out of every grate in the city. Don't ask.). Elementals fighting other elementals, and the humans controlling them lead to interesting situations, and can be pretty fun. That might also work to put a spin on Temple of Elemental Evil. The first time the party goes through, it is a normal party. Return to elemental evil, they are a normal party again. Next time they are forced to act through mediums, controlling elementals from afar.
I'd love to see it. Classics should be redone. They bring the old school feel back. That I think is particularly important to 4E. So yes, bring them back.
I mean, I enjoyed running the temple, and it kept my gaming group nicely occupied for 9 months. But the thing that made it nice was it being COMPLETLY DIFFERENT from the original. There's no point in running the same plot; and the temple was effectively decimated in the last version (and was already mostly buried in the version before).

I'd just like a GOOD 1-20 (1-30 would be AMAZING if they could do it; start off a peon, become a god ) box set, it doesn't have to be based on the old modules. In fact, considering that 4th edition ups the power level of characters and is made more for seiges (ie: you get a lot more done before resting), I don't think conversion of modules is going to work nearly as well. It really is a different feel from previous editions; to the point where old conversions just won't work like they did in 3.5.
Man, Temple of Elemental Evil sure brings back memories. I dungeon mastered the 3rd edition version of the game for my friends back when I was finishing high school. Yes, they lost a couple of characters to the dragon who was lurking at the broken down keep, but that is how the cookie crumbles. :D

Yeah, when they release 4th edition I would love to see temple of elemental evil released as a hard cover adventure.

Been There Done That, Own the T-Shirt [BTW form both sides of the Screen]
I had fun all....4-6 time I have played it.
Actually I have run the Village of Homlet about 10-12+ times. I use as my “So you want to learn how to play?” adventure. I even used it in on of my Oriental Adventures Games. I have ran it so much I can run it from memory. I would love to see it as “HT 1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil for Heroic Level Characters” and then ET 1-4 were you don’t get to the Meta Planes. Then “Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil for Epic Level Characters”, were they must go and close down the Meta Planes that were missed the 1st Time.
Temple of Elemental Evil was a very cool adventure but I agree it would be too soon....
However I REALLY would like to see some of the classic games come back forinstance ,I can not remember the name of the adventure but, the game with the crazy litch were you go into his tomb and there are a bunch of CRAZY portals that do CRAZY things to the characters!!!! like give me your character sheet and riiiiiiiiiiiiiiip you are dead!!!! sooo frustrating.
I know this was a old adventure so if someone could help me out with the name I would love that.

Also ANOTHER REQUEST I WOULD LIKE IS A GOOOOOD RAVENLOFT CAMPAIGN SETTING, PLEASE INVEST INTO IT AND NOT HAND IT DOWN TO SWORD AND SOR, CAUSE STRAUD KICKS A$$! AND I WANT MORE......
I would love to see Temple of Elemental Evil re-done. The picture in Worlds & Monsters alone made me decide that even if it isn't officially converted I'm running it anyway.

I would love to see some big box adventures re-done as well.

One of my personal favorites, A Night Below, would be fantastic. Especially if it was re-worked to be from 1-30 in one box instead of just 1-20 like it was in 2E.

I might just have to grab that from Drive-thru RPG and convert it myself.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.