Hecatomb Announcement

Thanks, Ryan, for all your work. I'll still be playing this game at the pubs.
Well i for one will not forget this game.
I will also continue to play with my freinds.
Well that just sucks.

Ive enjoyed this game emensly it's made me cry, made me laugh,and best of all made me scream! It will live on in the memory of die hard fans like us. However, we should look at the positive while we can. We still have the time up too BOL so lets use it to the best of our ability.

Thank you Wizards for your support and effort into developing this game for us. Cheers. However, that said, I am somewhat supprised that they have pulled the plug before the game has picked up any sort of momentum.
Ohh well, cant win em all I suppose.

Ive said my piece. (think of it this way, now it really will be a cult classic)

Darkling.
I have been one of the greatest supporters of this game throughout its life. Oh well, look for the last T5-ST on Tuesday when I chronicle the past of Hecatomb and say our final goodbyes to the game. If you want your "goodbye" included in the last T5-ST, just email me at [email]HevyMtalKing@aol.com[/email] with the subject titled "Six Feet Under" and I'll be sure to put it in.

--mtalmuzicfan
Telling the Five-Sided Truth
4/17/12 - Started Magic the Gathering: Online <--mtalhead...for LIFE!!! \m/
Damn. Just when I wanted to start playing, maybe even order some cards from somewhere... I'm truly sorry. I noticed a low activity in here. I hope the boards and the main Hecatomb website will not be removed. At least people could peak in from time to time.

I am a Duel Masters player, currently. You are welcome to try it. Believe me, it's worth it.
Thank you for letting us know Ryan. It's a sad day for Hecatomb.
That's too bad, the game showed promise. Take care Ryan and let us know if anyother projects end up involving you. We'll be here, waiting...

Let's end this in the way it began, for we must all know the Words:

It's the end of the world as we know it
That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane -
Lenny Bruce is not afraid. Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn -
world serves its own needs, don't misserve your own needs. Feed it up a knock,
speed, grunt no, strength no. Ladder structure clatter with fear of height,
down height. Wire in a fire, represent the seven games in a government for
hire and a combat site. Left her, wasn't coming in a hurry with the furies
breathing down your neck. Team by team reporters baffled, trump, tethered
crop. Look at that low plane! Fine then. Uh oh, overflow, population,
common group, but it'll do. Save yourself, serve yourself. World serves its
own needs, listen to your heart bleed. Tell me with the rapture and the
reverent in the right - right. You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright
light, feeling pretty psyched.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign tower. Slash and burn,
return, listen to yourself churn. Lock him in uniform and book burning,
blood letting. Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate. Light a candle,
light a motive. Step down, step down. Watch a heel crush, crush. Uh oh,
this means no fear - cavalier. Renegade and steer clear! A tournament,
a tournament, a tournament of lies. Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives
and I decline.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

The other night I tripped a nice continental drift divide. Mount St. Edelite.
Leonard Bernstein. Leonid Breshnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs.
Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom! You symbiotic, patriotic,
slam, but neck, right? Right.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine...fine...

Take Care,
Drake
Well, Greed and Corruption failed to turn the world to Hecatomb's cause, so Destruction shall reign supreme.

Me, I'll be waiting for the next expansion, just in case this is Deceit's work. ;)
Please tell me this is a sick joke or a horsemen clue or something I love this game so much I just don't have any near stores that sell it otherwise I would buy it all the time. Please keep up the fiction keep the site and keep the possibility of starting the game back up in the near future.
That really sucks man. Hecatomb was amazing.

Thats all I really have to say.
Well i appreciate your gesture Ryan.

Unfortunately, I'm alittle ticked. I think the whole 'we're redesigning the boards' and the expansion countdown to keep us interested is a really BS way of handling this sort of situation. To be honest, Wizards has long been a thorn in the game industry and its stuff like this that makes me say so. They might be the only game in town, but sooner or later, no one will care.

Personally I'm going to drastically cut back my spending on Wizards products, not over outrage from the loss of Hecatomb, but over Wizards repeatidely shabby treatment of its loyal customers. Personally I will never touch Dreamblade and will encourage others not to as well, as well as reducing my spending on Magic and AD&D. When you have ever 3.5 book and buy 2 boxes of every magic expansion.. thats saying a bit. I guess another large, England based company will be winning back my support, at least they dont lead you on before closing a game and their minis are much nicer.

So in closing. Ryan didn't kill Hecatomb. Dreamblade didn't kill Hecatomb. Magic didn't even kill Hecatomb. Wizards killed Hecatomb.

C'ya all!
Hey everyone, I'm as sad as the rest of you over the loss of Hecatomb. I am a player as well as a part of this community, and I want to comment on one item to set things straight:

There *is* going to be a boards update, and it will span all WotC boards soon. We were under the impression that the Hecatomb section would be included in this upgrade simply by the fact that it existed under the WotC umbrella. So, if you are looking to stick around for the community and for other games, don't be put off thinking that the update won't happen.

Thanks,
-WizO Mired
I am right there with you Icy. I dumped a pantload on there products, but never again. Ever!
What can you say except:

"oh."

It's not entirely unexpected, but that hardly makes it any less dissapointing.

Particularly considering we've only just got Blanket Of Lies a couple of weeks ago.

In fact I feel quite bad for going through all the hassle of calling wizards and their distributors and getting them to finally ship the product out to stores who are now going to (in all probability) be stuck with the stock until they discount it and take a loss.

On the other hand it means that I'll be able to pick up cards and boosters cheap as people start selling their collections.

So it isn't all bad, and won't really stop me playing outright. I only played with a couple of friends anyway, so it's not like I'm going to miss any organised play stuff.

That Hecatomb didn't recieve half the push or support it deserves is a sad fact, but theres no point crying over it now.

All thats really left to say is thanks to Mr RyanM and the designers of Hecatomb for coming up with a great game.

I look forward to your projects in the future.
.... Well.
I suppose I shouldn't be entirely surprised, it's not like WoTC was pouring on the support, but nevertheless, this is... annoying. Especially since one more expansion might have given us a viable long-term card pool. *shrug* Nothing we can do about it, of course, but nonetheless... bah, humbug. :P
.... Well.
I suppose I shouldn't be entirely surprised, it's not like WoTC was pouring on the support, but nevertheless, this is... annoying. Especially since one more expansion might have given us a viable long-term card pool. *shrug* Nothing we can do about it, of course, but nonetheless... bah, humbug. :P

Yeah that would have been nice.. plus I would like to have seen them keep it active for at least 1 year. Just goes to show if your going to buy a wizards product, wait at least a year to see if their going to drop it or not.

The way I'm seeing it, Wizards needs to get it through their head that their other card games are never going to do as well as Magic. Magic is an abberation in the card game industry and they aren't going to duplicate it.. and creating/cancelling other games in the attempt is just going to p-o more people.
This is the saddest moment I've ever witnessed in my player life. I play ccg since Revised was released and wanted to quit several times because of the lack of inventivity.

Then there was Hecatomb. I immediately quit Magic, sold all my stuff (1800 + rares) and went berserk for it. The base set was released in august 2005 if my memory serves me right and the greedy ass WOTC drops it nine months after ?! Nine months is the duration of a pregnancy, come on, let it see birth!!!

The way WOTC treats its customers is just unreal, how can you trap people into buying cards and believing in a game, then let them float in limbo for months, and on a beautiful spring day announce à mots couverts that the game is dead ??!!??!!

This has to change. fast. The fact that Magic is 2/3 maybe 3/4 of WOTC profits makes tough for other games to be given the time to develop properly and last : WOTC put money, time, and for once a lot of talent in a single team to spawn such a great game and then drops it. for fun ?

See, Dreamblade is right behind the corner and has exactly the same theme and stuff. BUT it's rated AGE 13+, and this is the very crux of the problem. Hecatomb was top notch but retailers were reluctant to carry it, parents reluctant to pocket money their kids for it, WOTC reluctant to advertise it..

Now with Dreamblade they hope to drag the former hecatomb players and more mature players, but come on, who wants to play Dreamblade in public (except your typical d20 greasy nerd) ? Not me and nobody around me that's fo sure..

When Mercadian Masques came out, i said : I quit. but I didn't
When Kamigawa came out, I said : I quit. but I didn't
And now all this .... This time I quit for good.

You've not only lost a 12 years long customer, you've lost a follower.

Ciao, les boules de caque. C'était trop rigolo.
I think all this anti-Wizards sentiment is pretty crap. Face it - people just weren't buying the game. Gamers are rabid when they see something that interests them. I saw ads for this game. I saw demos being offered at Games Plus and other stores in the Chicago area. What I didn't see were players. I know a small, dedicated fanbase exists - mostly because I am one of that fanbase. But WotC is a business and has to make money to survive. These cars can't be cheap to produce (I admit, I may be wrong on this, but it would seem to me that the clear plastic muct cost more than the cardstock of Magic). If people aren't buying it, WotC can't keep producing it.

Does it suck? Yep. Is it WotC's "fault"? Nope. Advertising only goes so far with gamers. They like what they like. Me, I like Hecatomb. I had avoided CCGs like the plague since I sold off all my Alpha and Beta Magic in 1996 to pay my rent. But I tried Hecatomb and I loved Hecatomb so I bought Hecatomb. A lot. And I tried to get my friends into it. My GAMING friends. And you know what - they didn't like it. It just didn't excite them. And that's why Hecatomb died. No one killed it. It just failed to connect with a big enough player base to make enough money to justify its continued production.

Now, I agree with the "stringing along" if that is what it was. I'm sure Ryan and the rest of the development team were HOPING that another expansion would be released when that timer hit 0, so maybe it wasn't "stringing along" but rather "wishful thinking". If it was "stringing along" then it's a pretty crappy thing to do to the fans.

Anyway, be angry. Shake your fists at the heavens. But put the blame where it is deserved. The game just didn't connect with the audience. If we all had gotten JUST one other gamer to enjoy the game as much as we did, and they had done the same, and on and on, then this game would have been as big as Magic ('cause that's what happened with Magic - people tried it, loved it, and got their friends addicted to it). That just didn't happen here. We are all to blame.

At least we still have cards. I, for one, am not going to stop trying to end the world.
I have one question what is the problem(s) that force you to stop producing Hecatomb. Cause to be truthful all the problems I can think of have very simple ways around. Also after I have the ravnica cards I want wotc say good bye to another Fan. I am the main reason my group of about thirty freinds continue any of your games so If I quit they are all comin down with me. If I hear news of hecatombs return before I get my Ravnica cards I won't pull them out. Also if I hear news later I will return but no promise my friends will. Good luck with your company after ******* so many fans.
Til the end
-Daftmouse
You know it just occured to me, I think the best way to get Wizards to start respecting their customers again would be to take a page out of their own book.

Since they left promotion of Hecatomb up to the fans, effectively washing their hands of it after day 1, i'm personally turning the same fervor that I used to promote Hecatomb into slamming Dreamblade. Afterall its the game thats replacing Hecatomb. Its basically the same game, with similar mechanics, 4 factions, based rough around evil and with those ugly WotC Minis, so I think we should all show a little unified support for the late Hecatomb by making sure Dreamblade follows it to an early grave shortly.

Dont think its unnoticed either that minis cost more then cards, so this is just another pathetic revenue grab by WotC. Unless we're getting 13 minis for $5 then thats the only difference in these 2 games. Nice going WotC, how about we pump Ad&D books up from your already gouging $50 to $100 and put yourself completely out of buisness?
I'm a little torn, really... I honestly saw the writing on the wall a while back, had it confirmed for me a couple of months ago when the one game store near me who actually carried Hecatomb told me that it was tanking. I expected them to crank out just enough to fulfill whatever contract they may have made and then sweep it under the rug. After all, when they had high level DCI judges demoing the game in the middle of Friday Night Magic, it pretty much shot itself in the foot before it even got started. But what I'm torn about... is whether I should even care about Dreamblade, since it'll probably just tank itself even faster because it'll try and take away Magic Players, and D&D minis players... or whether I should troll my local game shops and find out if I can buy their cases of Hecatomb off of them on the cheap just so they can get it out of their stores.
HOLY CRAP!

I cant believe you people??? Why are you all getting so cut at Wizards? Ive been an avid supporter of Wizards for as long as I can remember but just because my favorite game goes belly up doesnt mean im gonna get so angry as to badmouth them to my gaming buddys or try and get my local store to not carry their products.

Lets face it Hecatomb was aimed at a much older player base then stuff like Magic. It was for people who wanted something different, something evil. People who wernt affriad to walk down a dark alley. It was just badly marketed. I live in Brisbane Australia and I can honestly say I dont think or know about any other players other then my gaming group. We love it, we are gonna keep playing it, and we are not gonna go badmouthing the best gaming company in the world just cause were ****** about our fav game not turning into the next MtG.

Im sorry Icy but you make me sick. This game was aimed at 15+ just like it says on the box, but you, YOUR ACTING LIKE A BLOODY 4 YEAR OLD.

Just because the game is off the development rack doesnt mean we cant still support it, or play it. And it doesnt mean we should drop our support of a company that has braught us all games we enjoyed, not just hecatomb but other things aswell.

Dont get me wrong I loved hecatomb, was all I could think abotu since it came out. But As i said im still gonna stand behind the wizards banner.

Cheers wizards, youve done a great job with hecatomb, best CCG ive ever played, was a shame about cancelling it though.
Thanks
Darkling
I stopped to buy magic years ago, and Hecatomb came. Now Hecatomb is lost and I gonna return playing on my computer
I thought you all should hear it from me.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ht/article/20060525

Ryan

Hello RyanM...it is too bed that hecatomb gonna die, but i would like to ask, if you have some concepts prepared for next expasnion, and if it will be publicated...i am really curious what were you preparing for next expasnion, new minons and gods...THX.
-Hmmm. We're worried about our profits from Hecatomb.

-I know, let's announce that we're cancelling the game BEFORE we release the last set!

-No way! Then people who would have bought the new cards will spend their money on something else...like....like something we didn't make!
I understand being upset, heck I am too! I quite liked Hecatomb and thought it was quite a fresh breath.

There is no intentional 'stringing along' that occurs. When an announcement is made, the company truly plans on releasing whatever it is that is announced. I don't have the inside details on what killed Hecatomb but chances are the monetary figures just don't add up as many have speculated, and are not paying the bills. Seeing something you have worked on for a time, whether it is days, weeks, months or years go away is not easy. RyanM and the rest of the Hecatomb team right from the moderators of this forum right up to the Brand management don't want to see it go away any more then any one of you. While it's your hobby, it's their livelihoods.

Boycotting will only harm other product lines you enjoy published by WotC, and could cause them to go belly up as well. Keep in mind, as easy as it is to point fingers it still comes down to what we as consumers buy. If you love a product, buy it! Tell your friends! Ask for it at conventions.

Let's please keep things civil.
Thing is Gaelin, for some of us, Hecatomb was the only thing getting us to buy WotC's product. I count myself among this group because until I found Hecatomb listed in Game Trade Magazine last year, I didn't want anything to do with the WotC Nazi's and their perversions of everything I had enjoyed. Hell, I had a higher vocabulary in the 1st grade than any other kid in school thanks to the 1st ed AD&D Player's Handbook. I'll never play d20, because I hate the system with a passion that makes other people's hatreds seem like a mild distaste. Even if I ever did succumb to the evil that is d20, it won't be a WotC product, it'll probably be Iron Kingdoms from Privateer Press, and if I can get away with playing it without buying the 3.5 players handbook, I'll do so. I haven't liked Magic since the The Rath Cycle, and well the Samurai's of Crap-agawa pretty much was the nail in the coffin for me ever wanting to buy any more Magic Cards. Besides, I haven't been tournament legal in almost a decade, nor do I care. And let's be serious, I'll never buy their silly miniatures combat games like Axis & Allies or D&D Minis because A) I like Wizkids better in that field, and B) I just don't have the money to drop on every minis game I come across, so I'll support the properties that I think are fun, like Mechwarrior and Pirates.

Now WotC comes here to Philly in a week for Wizard World, and they say they'll be having Dreamblade Demos. I'll take a look. I'll see what kind of interest it generates over the weekend, and I'll probably even try a demo of it myself (especially if there's some free swag ;) ) But I'm not holding out much hope. I broke my boycott once for you people, and it happened to be a game that tanked because you cared in Game Trade Magazine, and you cared on your website, but it just didn't feel like you cared at all where it mattered most, at point of sale. Hell, when I'd ask a store in Philly if they carried Hecatomb, they looked at me like I grew a second head. They'd never even gotten any product information, never saw a demo, never even heard of it. Why? Because WotC didn't even put any teaser info in their shipments to the game stores. Never sent them a demo pack, like every other bloody game company does to get their dealers interested in their game. For God's Sake, when even Upper Deck can do it with their VS. game line, and they're happily pumping a hundred grand a year into their pro tour, you have no bloody excuse. If your company treats Dreamblade the same way they treated Hecatomb, and it's starting to feel like they are because I wouldn't have even heard of this game if I hadn't been nosing around on the Hecatomb website and saw a link to Dreamblade in the Wizards' splash page, then it'll drop like a burning Hindenburg, because Dreamblade will cost a lot more than a pack of Hecatomb cards.

I undestand why Icy's upset, but that's because I pretty much hate everything about WotC's product lines and refuse to waste what money I do have on them unless they really jump out at me, like Hecatomb did. I may not agree with his methods, but when does anyone really agree with anyone completely. What he's trying to say is that he feels like he wasted his money, maybe he was a league player, and now that the game is dead there is no more league, no more prizes, and while yes it's still a fun game, it's a game we can't share with anyone unless we have 10 copies of every card in the game. We'll be pretty much playing the same decks until the end of time because we won't be able to buy any new cards, or even any old cards once the supply runs out, they sure as hell ain't planning on making more. When that happens, for the most part all those cards I own, and you own, and Icy owns will collect dust and maybe get played with once every couple of years, if that. Darkling, you're a loyal supporter of WotC, and that's ok. If you lose a game line, you still have other products you wish to enjoy and support. I know I don't. For those in my camp, who think Magic has become the silly gimmick of the month club, or who think d20 is a sick joke that went too far, like Frankenstein's monster, we're kinda screwed. WotC let us down, again, and even though it's development team really fought to keep the doomsday device going, and I admire them for that in an industry that is quick to cut the chaff from the wheat as soon as possible, we feel kinda hurt that we trusted them again and they took our money and smiled while they signed the death warrant about 4 months ago. I'm not blaming the development team, and I'm not blaming Ryan, because he really had fun doing this and a team that cares anough about their product to create an RPG just to keep us interested before the game was released deserves my respect. I blame the company itself. This isn't the first time they've done this, and I should have known before I got started.

Ok, I let this post get waay too long, and so I'll let it go here, but I just don't like that the C*G (whether it be a CC or a CM) industry has become just a Caveat Emptor type of business structure.
Thank you Ryan for all you did and all you put into the game. It is truly an awesome game and I will miss it. I've poured countless hours in to help and to answer rules questions for the community, I'm sorry I couldn't do more to help the game.
Editor-in-Chief of DailyMTG.com @trickmtg Email Me
Well, that's a bummer. First Mythos and now Hecatomb--what's an HP Lovecraft themed CCG gotta do to stay alive out there? These cards will migrate to the box in my garage.

Meanwhile, try UFS. Solid system, good licenses.
I am truly sad with this. I never even got real cards as it wasnt released in my country. BUT, i did print cards and glue em to play. I have enjoyed everything about cards and the story.

Hello RyanM...it is too bed that hecatomb gonna die, but i would like to ask, if you have some concepts prepared for next expasnion, and if it will be publicated...i am really curious what were you preparing for next expasnion, new minons and gods...THX.

I totally agree with this. If you have anything RyanM could you please post it here or on the hecatomb site?
Thank you.
(I think Im gonna cry.)
It was pretty obvious the game was moribund. I liked it better than any CCG out there but not enough people were playing. Instead of complaining about Wizards, you should blame all the haters who trash talked the game when it first came out. Wizards did not set out to invest a lot of money in a game just to ruin it. I'm sure the production costs were pretty high, with the unique card design and killer artwork. Business savvy people would have noted how little excitement was being generating before it's release by looking at the board activity. That huge GenCon display shows Wizards was willing to support the game. It just never took off. I think it was market saturation with CCG's that fueled Hecatomb's endbringer. I'm looking forward to collecting tons of the discounted cards.

I'm not sure Dreamblade will do that well either. I know a lot of you are venting you're frustrations on that game. "You think you hate it now, just wait til you play it". Seriously, I've played a little on Vassal and it's pretty fun.
i want my money back.

never again will i purchase a wizards product.
Im sorry Icy but you make me sick. This game was aimed at 15+ just like it says on the box, but you, YOUR ACTING LIKE A BLOODY 4 YEAR OLD.

I dont remeber putting much into this game like me and Katt and the other who were here at 200 days to the launch. And since this board is the only one i post on, and i couldn't care less about my acct here. So..

You little upstarts who came in at last minute really dont deserve to talk on this subject. Frankily some of us have put alot into promoting this game, from leagues to tournaments and established this game as much as it is now. You who just transfered in from magic at the last minute are kinda pathetic for even pretending to be justified in your lame opinions.
Boycotting will only harm other product lines you enjoy published by WotC, and could cause them to go belly up as well. Keep in mind, as easy as it is to point fingers it still comes down to what we as consumers buy. If you love a product, buy it! Tell your friends! Ask for it at conventions.

Thats the idea ;)

I quit all Wizards products when that sorry excuse for a block called Urza Saga was released. I had recently regained some low level respect for Magic since Onslaught. I loved AD&D and watched tearful as TSR sold out to the big money, and the big money destroyed it in the name of commericialism and profit. I broke a long standing boycott of Wizards products then because my beloved Ad&D was now in your hands.

The fact is your screwed us. We put time into promoting the game when WotC would not. We put money into tournaments, Leagues and cards to support the game. We made Hecatomb what it was and we were screwed to make a larger profit. Thats the point. Not that Wizards might lose money. Not that Wizards could lose buisness. That Wizards screwed the people who support it and keep it in buisness. It is VERY easy to point fingers when the company does not support its own product and asks the fans to do so, then kills it anyway.

All that happened here, as i said, is that Mini games generate more profit because players need to buy alot more packs, getting less minatures per pack then cards, to get what they need to play. Its simple mathematics. I bet if they could transfer Magic into minatures they'd do it too.

Will I buy Dreamblade? No. Will i enourage other not to? Yes. Will i even petition my local game store not to carry it? Already did. Will i 'tell my friends and ask for it at conventions'? No way in ****. Frankly why should anyone invest money, even more money then we did because its a mini game, when Wizards may just as easily drop Dreamblade in 1 year? In all honesty i challenge any WizO to tell me why I should buy so much as 1 mini when you've shown that you will drop a game at the drop of a hat and deceive the players right up until the end? Why should i put $500 into minis for Dreamblade and be stuck with them and no support in less then a year?

For the records, i too knew this was coming to an end soon. I make no statement that I thought this game would last indefinitely. Ihad expected about 2 years. I just didnt think WotC would decieve the players as you did and generally pour salt into the open gash your screwing gave us.

Thats what really hurts here.
Are there going to be any tournament events at GenCon for Hecatomb? It would be nice to give the fans a last good-bye.

I am sad to hear that Hecatomb is canceled, but not surprised. It was probably one of the best games both with environment and mechanics. The reason it died, however, is because of the very reason it died. Wizards has gotten such a reputation for quitting games than we fans don't trust them anymore. Everyone I talked to wanted to play Hecatomb, and wanted it to be successful, but they didn't buy into it because they knew this would happen, and it did. I myself slipped in judgement and bought in just because I loved the game so much. Sadly, this goes another step forward in digging the nail into the coffin for wizards. After this, they won't be able to release a successful new game for people over the age 12+ again. (People under 12 don't care who is making a game)

Seriouly, Wizard's if you just kept the game alive another year or two it would have taken off, and went a long distance to rebuild your reputation. P.S. we all new this was coming in Febuary anyway when the website took a serious decline in updates.
Thats the idea ;)

All that happened here, as i said, is that Mini games generate more profit because players need to buy alot more packs, getting less minatures per pack then cards, to get what they need to play. Its simple mathematics. I bet if they could transfer Magic into minatures they'd do it too.

In all honesty i challenge any WizO to tell me why I should buy so much as 1 mini when you've shown that you will drop a game at the drop of a hat and deceive the players right up until the end? Why should i put $500 into minis for Dreamblade and be stuck with them and no support in less then a year?

Sure I'm a wizo but I'm also a manger at a local gaming store and can tell you that we sold 1 and only 1 hecatomb first expansion pack. We've had to clearance BOXES and BOXES of hecatomb stuff. Regardless of the quality of the game, at least in my area, its just not selling. My store took a loss of hundreds of dollars on that game. If it was continued tomorrow you wouldn't be able to buy it from us because we wouldn't stock it. A $10 sale every month (heck even weekly) doesn't warrant the space and cost of the item. This is also the case for all the stores in my area. Check e-bay and you'll see cases going for $20 which is WAY well below any discount level offered by distrbutors. Stores are taking losses to move the product out and this was BEFORE it was announced that the game was going to be discontiued.

This is not an uncommon trend in CCGs. We've been burned on L5R, Warcry, Anachronism, Dark Millienium, the various wrestling ccgs, even the kid line games like shaolin showdown and even yu-gi-oh, and that's all in the past year. A decision has been made to cut down to 3 CCGs and get rid of the rest. This leads to a huge FEAR factor in buying CCGs mentioned in the posts above. Because many CCGs have a short shelf life people fear buying them, and if you don't buy them they don't make money, and if they don't make money they get cancelled. Funny thing is SWM, D&DM, and A&AM are all GREAT sellers. We had one costumer that bought $1,500 in SWM in just two weeks!

I think Ryan and WotC made a great game but CCGs are a beast to market and keep alive and most importantly profitable. I couldn't comment on WotC official reason for cancelling the line but, if nationally, the problem was similar to what my store went through they may have not had a choice.
Method Actor 100% Storyteller 100% Butt Kicker 50% Tactician 50% Power Gamer 25% Specialist 25% Casual Gamer 25% The Code of Conduct is: http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1916 To contact Customer Service: http://wizards.custhelp.com
This is not an uncommon trend in CCGs. We've been burned on L5R, Warcry, Anachronism, Dark Millienium, the various wrestling ccgs, even the kid line games like shaolin showdown and even yu-gi-oh, and that's all in the past year.

I find that you couldn't sell yugioh very surprising. Everywhere I've ever been I've seen that franchise sell like gangbusters, in fact all of my local game shops are more willing to drop lines like D&D minis and Vs. before they'd ever dream of dropping Yugioh. (sorry for going off-topic, just found that interesting, back to your regularly scheduled thread)
I don't know what to say.

this is. ummmm.... well... this sucks. alot. I have not put this much energy/money into any other game. It was, in my humble opinion, the greatest game I have ever played. and this comes a month two late to be an april fools joke... wow. I'm so...

You know what, I'm very sorry if what I'm about to say offends anyone, but oh well.

this ****ing sucks. I have put alot into this game. I have put just as much into this game (in terms of time/effort/whatever else) than the company that produced it. I would like to ask Ryan one question: what company bigwig is responsible for this decision. I want to punch the ****er in the face.

EDIT:\(note: that's not a threat. It's a desire. note how I say 'Want", not 'will")
I find that you couldn't sell yugioh very surprising. Everywhere I've ever been I've seen that franchise sell like gangbusters, in fact all of my local game shops are more willing to drop lines like D&D minis and Vs. before they'd ever dream of dropping Yugioh. (sorry for going off-topic, just found that interesting, back to your regularly scheduled thread)

Well our store does have a much older crowd than many others, still vs. is 100 times more popular that any other card game (with the possible exception of magic). We have a vs. night that draws 5-10 people each night.
Method Actor 100% Storyteller 100% Butt Kicker 50% Tactician 50% Power Gamer 25% Specialist 25% Casual Gamer 25% The Code of Conduct is: http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1916 To contact Customer Service: http://wizards.custhelp.com
i have an idea guys,i know i have probably played the least out of everyone here. Just because we cant persuade them not to close it, because it is too late. We might be able to persuade them to bring it back. You guys we are the fans, the people who play it. They may stop production of it but it is truly up to us if it dies or not. I am sure there is a enough cards out there to continue it for a good while. Or at least untill we can persuade them to bring it back...but how you ask. There are a couple ways to do this but i am not promising anything nor trying to get your hopes up. It will not be easy either.

But it cant be me and just a couple others on this forum. So who is up for the challenge? ...Well either way i am going to try with or with out your help.
But a little help would by nice :D