[Guy] Magic weapon?

Do you mean spiritual weapon Merric? DR only applies to melee, and ranged attacks. Since Spiritual weapon is a spell DR never comes inot play.
Uh, is this a joke? I had to check the date to see if it was posted April 1st.

Merric, I KNOW you know this. You must be trying to prove a point to someone. Yes, it is, that (along with the +1 Bonus) is the whole point of the spell.

There have been many references to the near uselessness of DR becaue of the abundance of Magic Weapon Spells.
I was just thinking about this. There should have been two levels of DR, regular DR and DR+2, so you would have needed an additional magic weapon on already magiced beasties to hit other beasties. As it stands, the number of creatures dealing magic in the first place is large, as is the number able to cast multiple magic weapons, so DR means nothing.
G'day, Guy!

Is the damage from Magic Weapon considered magic (and thus bypass DR) or not?

Cheers!

I asked this ages back so I know the anser.

Magic Weapon does not make the damage magical. Magic Weapon the spell provides a bonus to hit and causes damage from those attacks to ignore DR.

This is effectively the same result, however it could be different in the future.
I was just thinking about this. There should have been two levels of DR, regular DR and DR+2, so you would have needed an additional magic weapon on already magiced beasties to hit other beasties. As it stands, the number of creatures dealing magic in the first place is large, as is the number able to cast multiple magic weapons, so DR means nothing.

Well the Warforged Titan and the Warforged Fighter have Adamantine Laced which amounts to the same thing. Hopefully one day we'll get the Stoneskin spell which may do the same thing.

The Diabolical DrFiendish
Magic Weapon does not make the damage magical. Magic Weapon the spell provides a bonus to hit and causes damage from those attacks to ignore DR.

Correctomundo! Thanks for a perfect answer

This is effectively the same result, however it could be different in the future.

Actually, I can think of one case right now where this actually is important- the Evermeet Wizard. An Evermeet Wizard can't hurt Electric-immune creatures with her melee attack; if magic weapon changed the damage type to magic, then she would be able to hurt Electric-immune creatures.
Actually, I can think of one case right now where this actually is important- the Evermeet Wizard. An Evermeet Wizard can't hurt Electric-immune creatures with her melee attack; if magic weapon changed the damage type to magic, then she would be able to hurt Electric-immune creatures.

[theoretical mode = on]

I don't think magic weapon would ever change a damage's type to magic. It would add a type. (No rule says that damage types are mutually exclusive.) If magic weapon worked that way (which it doesn't), the Evermeet Wizard's damage would be 10 magic electricity, and it still wouldn't hurt an enemy with the Immune Electricity ability.

[theoretical mode = off]
[theoretical mode = on]

I don't think magic weapon would ever change a damage's type to magic. It would add a type. (No rule says that damage types are mutually exclusive.) If magic weapon worked that way (which it doesn't), the Evermeet Wizard's damage would be 10 magic electricity, and it still wouldn't hurt an enemy with the Immune Electricity ability.

[theoretical mode = off]

Well, just make sure if R&D decides they want to make an ability or spell that messes with damage types of attacks, they clearly specify "is now X damage type in addition to its other types" or "replaces current damage type" right on the card so there is no confusion. :P

You know, I'd like a creature that took less damage from magical weapons. Some sort of magic-leeching creature or something with "takes X less damage from melee and ranged attacks with the magic type."
Heh, yeah. With regards to your first paragraph, that's probably why the magic weapon spell works the way it does
No, actually it is me misremembering the spell.

Spiritual Weapon, not Magic Weapon.

Cheers!
Is the damage from [Spiritual Weapon] considered magic (and thus bypass DR) or not?

Spiritual Weapon does not do magic damage.

However, it still bypasses DR because it is a spell.

See also this thread:
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=326157
Thanks, Guy!

I tend to remember the spell as "spiritual hammer" and I don't remember the new title. I remember it has "weapon" in it, so that makes it "magic weapon".

Cheers!