[Guy] Justice Strike vs Bodyguard

I think I know the answer to this, but it doesn't hurt to ask and make sure.

The Archon attacks a War Troll, and is about to deal 20 damage to it (factoring DR). Instead, the Bodyguard decides to take it.

Does the Bodyguard take 20 or 10 damage? I'm guessing she takes 10 damage, because that's how much the bodyguard does herself, and she's the one taking the Justice Strike.

~John
Hehe good question, I think you have it right.

I hope this makes the fabled Sequence of Attacks :P

1) Justice Archon attacks and hits
2) Justice Archon decides wether to do 10 magic damage or to use Justice Strike
3) Bodyguard decides wether or not to take the blow

AR
I think I know the answer to this, but it doesn't hurt to ask and make sure.

The Archon attacks a War Troll, and is about to deal 20 damage to it (factoring DR). Instead, the Bodyguard decides to take it.

Does the Bodyguard take 20 or 10 damage?

10 magic damage.

I'm guessing she takes 10 damage, because that's how much the bodyguard does herself, and she's the one taking the Justice Strike.

Exactly. The Bodyguard is the target of the attack (the original target is not the target of the attack), so the Justice Archon can choose to do its own 10 magic damage or use Justice Strike to do damage equal to the Bodyguard's first printed melee attack.
Guy, could you please elaborate on why the Justice Archon chooses whether or not it uses Justice Strike after its opponent chooses whether or not to use the Bodyguard?

Thanks

AR
Bodyguard is declared before the Justice Archon chooses whether to use Justice Strike.
Bodyguard is declared before the Justice Archon chooses whether to use Justice Strike.

Is that being added to the clarifications or errata?

The opposite ruling lives here:
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=632688
The opposite ruling lives here:

Oooo, burn.

:P

Seriously, this looks like a classic case of Simultaneous effects, since Bodyguard is not an ability that interrupts the attacker's sequence of actions.

AR
This is an intentional change from the previous ruling. It will be made very clear by the upcoming Attack Sequence.
Can't wait!

AR