[Guy] Pit Fiend Commander Effect

I find it strange that no one has mentioned the Pit Fiend's strange commander effect (at least I haven't seen it mentioned before…and it isn't on Guy's Clarification page):

Pit Fiend
"Commander Effect: LE Outsider followers get melee damage +5 and gain Immune Fire."

Epic Pit Fiend
"Commander Effect: Followers get Immune Aura of Fear, Fire"

So my question is, what should the Epic Pit Fiend's commander effect actually be?

My guess is that the Epic should have the same commander effect as the regular Fiend… but what do I know. Maybe there will be a creature with Aura of Fear, Fire in the next set.
It confers immunity to
  • Aura of Fear
  • Fire

Immunities are always listed like that. Instead of saying "immune fire, immune cold, immune fear" it says "Immune fire, cold, fear" (well, actually there is no immune fear, it's fearless, but you get the general meaning).
It confers immunity to
  • Aura of Fear
  • Fire

Immunities are always listed like that. Instead of saying "immune fire, immune cold, immune fear" it says "Immune fire, cold, fear" (well, actually there is no immune fear, it's fearless, but you get the general meaning).

You might be right.

I didn't even consider that the Epic effect could be right. I was certain that the "Aura of Fear" had accidentally replaced the "melee damage +5" and that due to space constrains the "LE Outsider" had been dropped.

Nevertheless, I think it's strange that the commander effect changes that drastically between the regular and the epic creature…especially when the regular effect is (far) better than the Epic's (in my opinion).
More melee damage is always helpful, whereas immunity to Aura of Fear is only sometimes helpful. However, the immunity applies to all followers, where the damage boost only applies to Outsider followers.

Bahamut, Tiamat, and all 3 Huge Dragons have Auras of Fear, as well as the 3 Liches (going from memory, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong). Chances are good that your Pit Fiend will run into one or more of these during a tourney, so it's not as bad a CFX as it looks.
So my question is, what should the Epic Pit Fiend's commander effect actually be?

The Epic Pit Fiend's commander effect is correct as printed. It grants immunity to Aura of Fear as well as immunity to fire.
You might be right.

I didn't even consider that the Epic effect could be right. I was certain that the "Aura of Fear" had accidentally replaced the "melee damage +5" and that due to space constrains the "LE Outsider" had been dropped.

Nevertheless, I think it's strange that the commander effect changes that drastically between the regular and the epic creature…especially when the regular effect is (far) better than the Epic's (in my opinion).

The epic pit fiends commander effect affecting all followers instead of being an effect restricted to only LE Outsiders is part of the increased cost.
Actually, it's the normal Pit Fiend's CFX that's strange. Why specify 'LE Outsiders'? Wouldn't they have to be LE to be in the PF's warband? Even if the Red Wizard brought over a spellcasting CE Outsider, it would be considered an LE creature in that warband and should get the CFX.

Of course, there could be a future mini that lets the Pit Fiend be pulled out of LE...
Why specify 'LE Outsiders'?

Probably so that it functions as desired in sealed and draft events.
Ah, thanks Guy. That makes more sense.
the regular effect is (far) better than the Epic's (in my opinion).

But more limited. It's only really useful to LE outsiders that don't already have resistance or immunity to fire. A lot of outsiders already have immunity, and others are at least resistant.
But more limited. It's only really useful to LE outsiders

Such limitations don't bother me as I usually play themed warbands.

Thanks for the replies.
Such limitations don't bother me as I usually play themed warbands.

Thanks for the replies.

Beyond the fact that not everyone does, the very fact that you do play themed warbands should mean that you loathe this limitation.

What does this themed warband look like?

Pit fiend (not subject to own commander effect, and immune anyway)
Bone Devil (already immune)
Erinyes (already immune)
Horned Devil (already immune)
Bearded Devil (already immune)
Hellcat (already resist 10)
Ice Devil
Xill

So now you have that great immunity as a CE, and half your warband is already immune to fire, another has resistance 10, and SR to boot, and one is a mere 15 point filler.

So your immunity is only really useful to one critter.
Beyond the fact that not everyone does, the very fact that you do play themed warbands should mean that you loathe this limitation.

What does this themed warband look like?

Pit fiend (not subject to own commander effect, and immune anyway)
Bone Devil (already immune)
Erinyes (already immune)
Horned Devil (already immune)
Bearded Devil (already immune)
Hellcat (already resist 10)
Ice Devil
Xill

So now you have that great immunity as a CE, and half your warband is already immune to fire, another has resistance 10, and SR to boot, and one is a mere 15 point filler.

So your immunity is only really useful to one critter.

You're missing several of the most likely figures to be in a Pit Fiend Band (presuming you are not sticking strictly to 'Devil', and just using 'LE Outsider' as the theme):

Zakya Rakshasa
Justicator
Mezzoloth
You don't understand. It's got the BONE DEVIL in it! You're guaranteed to win!
Didja ever notice that Bone Devil and Boned Evil have the same spelling? As in, if you use this piece in an Evil band, you'll get Boned?
Sign In to post comments