MLB Showdown

I don't know if anyone around here remembers the game MLB Showdown, which ran from 2000 until 2005, but it was my favorite game ever. Is there any chance of it ever coming back? Also, does anyone know the teams that were successfull in the 2002 championship? I'm interested in seeing what players were most frequently used. Thanks for any help...
I'm just getting back into the game, but sadly don't have the answers you are looking for. Perhaps you could help with my question: where can I grab a Showdown scoresheet? I can't find any anywhere on the nets.
I have a few left from years ago and I found some draft packs that contained one per pack. You'll have to get one of those and scan it to make more.
i was a fond admirier of mlb showdown (and loved NFL showdown as well.) i miss it too.
Oh, I was actually thinking of the, I guess they must have been custom, larger scoresheets that fit on 8.5 x 11 paper?
I don't know if there are enough people interested but we should petition to have the game created again. Anyone with me?
sorry i also dont know, actually i am completely new in this environment.
I own Gamers, Inc. in Cuyahoga Falls, OH where we inherited a ton of MLB and NFL Showdown product. I really liked the game as well, and eventually purchased another large collection of (mostly) common and uncommon cards from both brands.

We still have singles and some packs available, and last summer tried to start an MLB league, which failed miserably. I play still casually, but don't know if there's enough interest anywhere in particular to get the game going again.

Miss the concept and hope someday someone will revisit (at least) the MLB game.

Mike
O man i loved showdown and still do, ... I always wanted to join a league...but there really is a big lack of interest of old cards, although i still like playing with the old cards.. I think if new ones came out the popularity could get to the potential that it was when it first came out. I love the game and love to play it.
I love mlb showdown too. After a few years of waiting and hoping for it to come back, I gave up. But now I just use my own new cards. They're not nearly as good as wizard's, but they work for me until someday it may return.
My brothers and I still play with our old cards, but after 4 years of the same guys things got really stale. I'm still a huge fan and believe there could be a revival.

Is there a forum or website (or facebook group) where we could really try to get some legs to a revival?
I'm happy to see others interested. I'm going to send a letter (or e-mail) to wizards asking if there's a possibility of a revival. We'll see how that goes (hopefully for the better).
So I got a response:

We have not announced any intent to start making the Showdown games at this time. If we do explore that path again, we'll announce it as soon as we could.

Not too promising but a revival is definitely not out of the question. I'll probably start a facebook group soon for MLB Showdown to be revived so look for it if you have an account there. Since the game was discontinued due to lack of interest in the first place, proving that there is interest may be what it takes to get the game running again.

Edit: There actually already is a group started so join there instead...
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?sid=1b945fd95d6cd719df18c8839f5c5ee0&gid=61456152855&ref=search
I heard that the reason Showdown was discontinued was when it was decided that there were too many baseball cards, and Topps and Upper Deck bought the rights to sell, kicking out companies like Showdown and Donruss. Does anyone know if this is true? Not that it will change much, but maybe if this contract ends soon Showdown might return.
I kind of hope that is the case. I read a statement by Wizards though saying that they were not making enough money off of MLB Showdown sales to keep manufacturing the cards.
Anyway, I found the deck lists for the 02 qualifiers, answering my own question and the reason I started this topic.
http://web.archive.org/web/20021221115417/www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=scoutingreport/mlbusnat02/d1decks
My son plays Showdown any chance he gets with another boy his age; they love it. He was wanting to get a scoresheet and thought there was a way to download them from the Wizard's site, but I can't find anything there on Showdown. Do any of you know where to get scoresheets? These guys play the 2004 version. Thanks!
Whatever happened to Mike, the guy who owns that Gamers, Inc.? If we started to get some actual backing behind this more than a few high schoolers with a facebook group then we might have something.

Do you think we should have a few ideas on improvements? Anybody else have something to add there?
Is anyone interested in starting an online league or just playing some games (in AIM chatrooms). I have all years but prefer either 01 or 04/05 teams
Is anyone interested in starting an online league or just playing some games (in AIM chatrooms). I have all years but prefer either 01 or 04/05 teams

I would be interested...do you need AIM or would iChat work?
I would be interested...do you need AIM or would iChat work?

Im not sure what iChat is but it may work. My screen name is evand1219 (same as forums name)
I also am a big MLB Showdown fan, I found this thread searching for it on google. I emailed Wizards a while back about the possibility of a revival, and got this back:
Despite our best efforts to bring this fun and entertaining product to market, we have been unable to maintain a level of consumer interest in MLB Showdown that permits us to continue production. We enjoyed producing the MLB Showdown Trading Card Game and the fans shared that enjoyment over the years.
This seriously has to be one of the best trading card games of all time too...How much money can you lose on trading cards though, especially if you're an established company in that field like Wizards? I'd buy as many packs as I could ASAP if they brought it back!
I would be interested in an online league as well, and probably some of my friends that still have their cards. I'll tell them about it. I have 04s and 05s, but mostly 05s. (Been making some of my own too, just to switch things up a bit...)
Well anyway, it's nice to see that people still enjoy the game outside of where I live!
Anyone who wants to play online games/leagues, please leave your screen name here
my screen name is samgreg1890. IM me if you just want to play a game online if we don't get a league going
Hey, i thought me and my friends were the only ones who still played this game.

I just got into the game recently, and had previously regarded it as kinda lame, but now that I've played it, i definitely regret not playing it back in the day. I was disappointed to find out that they discontinued the making of these cards, and decided to see what i could come up with. This is my first try. Let me know what u think.

IMAGE(http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/airham77/Soriano.jpg)
how do you play online? Is it like baseball boss or what?
how do you play online? Is it like baseball boss or what?

The games are played through AIM chatrooms. There is a roll code that simulates a 20-sided dice. Add me evand1219 on AIM if you want to play.
So would anybody here be interested in getting an 04/05 online league going?
Sorry but I'm definitely not playing online. A lot of the fun for me is sitting down with friends and playing against each other.
And to be honest I didn't really like 2005. 2004 was awesome, but I felt that the 05 cards were relatively lame in comparison.
For the guy making the cards: there are formula's that are floating around if you can find them to make them properly. And you should get photoshop and learn to use it. A friend of mine makes cards very well that way and they look almost like 04/05 cards.

For the person wanting to know why it isn't around: To my knowledge it is not because there were too many competitors, because tops, upper deck, etc. have been around way longer than WotC. Talking to local card shops showdown was very successful and sold extremely well. So there was nothing wrong with competition. The actual problem was that the cost of licensing the mlb name was and is extremely costly so WotC would basically break even from card sales after paying off the licensing therefore making it unprofitable.
Sorry but I'm definitely not playing online. A lot of the fun for me is sitting down with friends and playing against each other.
And to be honest I didn't really like 2005. 2004 was awesome, but I felt that the 05 cards were relatively lame in comparison.

LOL ok..i was just throwing the option out there. How else do you expect us to get a league going? In my opinion, online play is actually more fun then live play
I might join at some later point but not now. I have people to play with, that's not a problem, I just want new cards to be produced. At this point chances don't look good. And I think you should do 03-04, not 04-05. Of course, it's completely up to you, I just feel that those two years together are far better than 04-05.
To be honest, i like all the years lol.. 04-05 are my favorite and im also a big fan of 01 as well. 02-03 are good too due to all the Super Seasons
I love them all except for 2005. It seemed that most of the cards were boring and generic.
lol i guess thats true because a lot of my 04/05 team consists of 04 players
im def up to play in an online league but how does it work do u need a camera or what...and how will we keep track of the league
im def up to play in an online league but how does it work do u need a camera or what...and how will we keep track of the league

OK great, glad to see more interest. And no cameras are needed. There is an online roll code that simulates the roll of a dice. If you want to play a practice game, add me evand1219 on AIM. In my opinion, online play is even better then regular
ok i added ya....
I'm interested in an online league..

aim: dantheman954222
e-mail: [email]waldoman2@hotmail.com[/email]
I might be up for an online league as well. I don't know what kind of structure you all have in mind, but we can figure that out. I'm a big fan of statistical analysis, so keeping track of stats (and potentially league-leaders in categories) would be right up my alley.

One drawback to this I'm quickly finding is the lack of strategy cards. My greatest weapon was my strategy and without it, I think the games will lose a lot of their human element. They will be determined almost completely by the roll of the die, which I preach (to brothers and friends) can be almost minimized.
Yeah the whole strategy card aspect is what makes the game somewhat realistic. Of course, you could use strategy cards and hope that nobody cheats and somehow draws 4 of their favorite card in the opening hand.
Yeah, that's the thing..it's very easy to cheat when using strats online. If you guys havent played an online league before, add me and just come try it out. Once you start playing online play, you will probably like it better then regular live play. Even tho strats and icons are not used, the game is still a lot of fun. As for the league, we will definitely be keeping league leader stats, standings, etc...

* I need someone to be in charge of a website tho. I will keep all league leader stats, standings and will make the schedule, but I just need someone to post it on a website.
Sign In to post comments