[JOU-ICD] Pharika, God of Affliction

34 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pharika, God of Affliction

Legendary Enchantment Creature - God (M)

Indestructible

As long as your devotion to black and green is less than seven, Pharika isn't a creature.

: Exile target creature card from a graveyard. Its owner puts a 1/1 black and green snake enchantment creature token with deathtouch onto the battlefield.

5/5

Source: Mythic Spoiler

The ability is very interesting.  But a 5/5 indestructible for only 3CMC?  Holy crap!

Not as flashy as I expected, but still very servicable.  She's a defensive powerhouse; as long as you have two mana up and a creature in your graveyard, you have a deathtouch defender.

Do you remember where we all came from?

Do you remember what it's all about?

Lead the Charge, starting Anafenza, the Foremost

Take Over the Skies, staring Talrand, Sky Summoner

Temur Frontier, staring Yasova Dragonclaw

Cooler than necrogenesis or night soil.

3DH4LIF3

Definitely not as good as i would have hoped. Kind of Funny that Archetype of Finality hoses her so hard. Just seems like the strategy for Golgari these days involves having creatures in your graveyard and she doesn't really play nice with that. Nemesis of Mortals? Nope, not even a little bit. Even if you're trying to exile your opponent's creatures from their graveyard, deathrite Shaman already does that much better. If her only realy strength is making "surprise" blockers then I don't know if I really care...

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

Kind of goes against the gy creatures theme BG has going but it will fun in my Gorgon "tribal" deck. Speaking of that where are all the gorgons, the were 4 I think in theros and only one in born and I was hoping with the greek themed set I was hoping to fill out my tribal.

Standard Dredge can maybe use her as a 1-2 of. With Jarad out and any mana dork she is a 5/5 indestructable pretty easily, but I don't see her ability actually being very useful. Much weaker than Thassa. 

Grond88 wrote:

Standard Dredge can maybe use her as a 1-2 of. With Jarad out and any mana dork she is a 5/5 indestructable pretty easily, but I don't see her ability actually being very useful. Much weaker than Thassa. 

"Much weaker than Thassa" could be said about every God that isn't Thassa.  Thassa is really strong for her cost; she's easily the best of the main pantheon.

Do you remember where we all came from?

Do you remember what it's all about?

Lead the Charge, starting Anafenza, the Foremost

Take Over the Skies, staring Talrand, Sky Summoner

Temur Frontier, staring Yasova Dragonclaw

Definitely not as fun or interesting as I had hoped, but for three mana, I probably shouldn't complain.

My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)

SnesController wrote:

"Much weaker than Thassa" could be said about every God that isn't Thassa.  She is too strong for her cost.

Agreed.  I have no idea why Thassa wasn't costed at , other than Wizards typical love affair with blue.

Goes without saying that Scavenging Ooze is a better graveyard hoser. However, a 5/5 for 3 that'll be pretty easy to turn online is pretty good. Gonna get a copy for Varolz. Would've been better if you always got the snakes, but maybe it would've been too good.

CURRENT EDH DECKS: Sek'kuar | Kraj | Teysa | Wort | Purphoros | Varolz | Reaper King | Rakdos | Isperia | Ultimus | Iroas | Macar | Roon | Marath | Kruphix | Karametra | Marchesa

Lol the only one of the minor gods that pithing needle actually works on. I must admit, I am curious to see what this god would have looked like if they chose to not give it a mana ability.

Its owner gets the creature? Lame. Shouldn't a mythic rare be treated better than that?

It works well in team games, and totally pwns noobs (the first few times, anyhow...) Beyond that, it's merely okay, perhaps unless you're trying to get her animated ASAP (might be possible at cost 3, but not sure how well that would actually work in practice).

Wow, this is such a let down.

I like how her ability has nothing to do with the description in the Planeswalker's Guide.

Deadly poison can be healing medicine in small amounts, and this dichotomy is reflected in the god whose province is such tinctures. Pharika is the keeper of apothecary knowledge, the source of dark magic. She is also the mother of all gorgons, and their snaky bodies resemble hers.

To those who would oppose her, Pharika is a fearsome enemy, but mortals she favors are hard to kill. She bears a potion cup from which she dispenses draughts that simultaneously strengthen her servants and slay her enemies.

Pharika is associated with black and green mana, and her dual nature also governs aging—the stretch of life and the approach of death. Stories say that the secretive god has hidden medicinal knowledge within the natural world. None know whether she did so to reward or to toy with mortals who quest to unearth them.

God of Affliction? More like God of Herpetology. Another flavor homerun from the folks who brought you Emmara Tandris.

Fireballmage wrote:
I like how her ability has nothing to do with the description in the Planeswalker's Guide.

Deadly poison can be healing medicine in small amounts, and this dichotomy is reflected in the god whose province is such tinctures. Pharika is the keeper of apothecary knowledge, the source of dark magic. She is also the mother of all gorgons, and their snaky bodies resemble hers.

To those who would oppose her, Pharika is a fearsome enemy, but mortals she favors are hard to kill. She bears a potion cup from which she dispenses draughts that simultaneously strengthen her servants and slay her enemies.

Pharika is associated with black and green mana, and her dual nature also governs aging—the stretch of life and the approach of death. Stories say that the secretive god has hidden medicinal knowledge within the natural world. None know whether she did so to reward or to toy with mortals who quest to unearth them.

God of Affliction? More like God of Herpetology. Another flavor homerun from the folks who brought you Emmara Tandris.

Perhaps if she had a second ability: Creatures with deathtouch have lifelink?

Then again, perhaps it's appropriate that the Goddess of Homeopathy doesn't actually heal anyone. :p

Why would I want to give my opponent deathtouching snakes??? And in black AND green. So my guys with intimidate can't even get past them? I have to have a flyer or at least a first striker. I was the most excited for this God more than anyone else be cause I am the biggest fan of BG strategies and this card doesn't really fit into any I can think of. Except maybe as someone before said to chuck her to Varolz along with the new Demon that lets your opponents draw. My dark heart of the woods is a little broken.

I know it's only 3 mana, but that didn't stop Thassa and now Athreos from being amazing. Had her ability read that your got the Snake token no matter the graveyard the creature was exiled from, then I would have been comletely happy with her, but I guess Wizards deemed it to powerful that you could create deathtouch blockers from your opponent's dying creatures. I guess my biggest issue is that she seems like a big flavor-miss, as well. Golgari is all about having creatures in your own yard, but they want them to STAY there for Scavenge/Dredge purposes or for cards like Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and Nemesis of Mortals. Given her description of healing allies and poisoning foes, I would've perfered she had granted deathtouch and lifelink (or regeneration, as I suppose that feels more green) in some way.  

lifelink isn't bg and deathtouch regenerate tokens aren't fun.  they could have restricted the ability to your own graveyard, like they do for many such effects, but im glad they didn't for (A) yard hate purposes and (B) the awesome ability to put a deathtoucher into play instantly under anyones control in multiplayer.

if she is supposed to be the god of poison/medicine, she should do something with regeneration. "Pay GB, remove target creature card from a graveyard: Regenerate target creature."

I dunno... something besides this mess

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

I really thought she'd do something with Regeneration. Maybe this card had to be toned down in the FFL. Edit: Just noticed the token is an enchantment. That might be important for G/B Constellation.

Meh.  Would work as a dredge counter to mirror matches, but overall, Pharika gets overshadowed by her B/W brother in this set.

Pharika, God of Disappointment.

If this was a marvel comic adaptation, this would be Daredevil. 

Not every BG deck under the sun needs to use the graveyard as a resource. BG can also use creature death as a means of controlling the field. Besides, if you're making deathtouchers out of your opponent's creatures, you have a subtle means of putting your own creatures into your graveyard while likely taking the opponent's token with them. Populate can fill your field with deadly Snakes in BGW Tokens, and in Jund cards like Fall of the Hammer and Lightning Volley become brutal kill spells.

Could possibly be a funny combo with Doomwake Giant. Make deathtouchers if they are playing a reanimator deck you can easily remove their target and wipe the board with giants constellation effect. Or use her effect in response to them playing any x/1 creature, or several depending on the toughness of their creatures. You know what with Doomwake Giant and other constellation creatures, Pharika totally fits into graveyard strategies. As a means of removal.

This is a letdown. I can't see myself ever playing this. It will do nothing most of the time and give you a chump blocker on her best day.

Like Karametra, God of Harvests in Born drafts, i can see myself opening a ton of this card.  

I don't....I don't know.

I want to give this card a chance, but it just doesn't impress from a purely vacuum standpoint.

I like Karametra and Emmara...this...I dunno.

She'll work just fine in my all gods EDH deck headlined by child of alara, but outside of that where does she go?

She gives the opponent deathtouchers to trade with your ground pounders, or at least chump blockers for your gods.

As I've heard others voice, I often would prefer a night soil or a scavenging ooze.

Edit:  I'm coming around to her a little.  It's occured to me that she's a political card.  If you and player A have a mutual enemy in player B, even the threat of activation of Pharika may keep player B from attacking either of you.  Or even if player B does attack player A, you can help player A.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I've decided I'm going to play her. As a 3 of in a BG beatown deck. With Lotleth Troll.

DarkArtist711 wrote:
Why would I want to give my opponent deathtouching snakes??? And in black AND green. So my guys with intimidate can't even get past them? I have to have a flyer or at least a first striker. I was the most excited for this God more than anyone else be cause I am the biggest fan of BG strategies and this card doesn't really fit into any I can think of. Except maybe as someone before said to chuck her to Varolz along with the new Demon that lets your opponents draw. My dark heart of the woods is a little broken.

Opponent: Fated Return targeting *insert creature here*

You: Exile *same creature* with Pharika. Spell fizzles. Have a token. I'll just block it with Pharika, anyway.

Why do I make pop culture cards? Not because they're original or anything. It's because they're fun to play with. EDH Decks: Riku of Two Reflections, Teysa, Orzhov Scion, Sliver Overlord, Chorus of the Conclave

Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

SimonGlume wrote:

Its owner gets the creature? Lame. Shouldn't a mythic rare be treated better than that?

This. All of this. Whyyyyy. I admit, it wasn't what I thought she was gonna be, but why does she have to be THIS bad. COME ON! -cries in corner-

phaseshifter wrote:

This is a letdown. I can't see myself ever playing this. It will do nothing most of the time and give you a chump blocker on her best day.

Uhh?

You realize it's not a "chump blocker" if the blocker has deathtouch, right?

Seriously this card looks alright to me.  BG, exile a creature card from your graveyard:  Destroy target attacking creature.  Sounds obnoxious to play against.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

metroidcomposite wrote:

Seriously this card looks alright to me.  BG, exile a creature card from your graveyard:  Destroy target attacking creature.  Sounds obnoxious to play against.

unless your opponent has fliers or Archetype of Finality in which case, Pharika makes crumby 1/1's and screws up your graveyard for things like Nighthowler.

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Sign In to post comments