[BNG-ICD] Nyxborn Shieldmate

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

Nyxborn Shieldmate - w

Enchantment Creature - Human Soldier (C)

Bestow 2w

Enchanted creature gets +1/+2.

1/2

1 1/2 for 1 is soild

NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

I love the art on this guy.  And decent limited card.

My first instinct is that he's weak, even in limited. The advantage of bestow is that you retain the creature after its host dies and can then bestow onto that creature in turn. This guy has no relevant ability, though. He'll basically be a +1/+2 aura for 3 that gives you a random chump blocker. Not very impressive. 

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

These 1-drop bestow guys are going to be the bees knees in limited agro.  You can play them turn 1, or if you draw them late they enable heroic

Angrypossum wrote:

My first instinct is that he's weak, even in limited. The advantage of bestow is that you retain the creature after its host dies and can then bestow onto that creature in turn. This guy has no relevant ability, though. He'll basically be a +1/+2 aura for 3 that gives you a random chump blocker. Not very impressive. 

I'm...kind of inclined to agree.  With a lot of bestow creatures, one of the modes was clearly good.  "This is just a wind drake" or "This is just a grizzly bear" or "This is just a hill giant" with bestow.  Or they granted a relevant ability like lifelink, and when they died could be bestowed for more lifelink.

I'm squinting at this one and thinking "neither half of this would be good enough for limited on its own".  Maybe as Erluti suggests, the modular nature of the card (being both a 1 drop on turn 1, and a heroic enabler later for aggressive decks) will make it good enough?  Not sure.  I do think you will get these late, if you want them.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

3 cost bestow is what will make these guys work.  heroics decks will fight for these in limited.

I can't draft heroic in my current circles

NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Eeee... normally I love flexible cards, but this seems pretty crappy. A 1/2 with no abilities isn't really worth a card, aside from some theoretical environment where dealing exactly 2 damage to a creature is a fairly rare event. The other half is a holy strength for that sometimes effectively gives you a token. While both halves need to be subpar for balance reasons, they seem to be a little too subpar. But it's not like they could have made the card any better than this anyway; 2/1 or 1/3 or tacking on an ability would've required them to increase the casting cost and probably the bestow cost as well.

I would prefer holy strength to this if all I cared about was heroic. The only reason I could see using one (aside from having no better options in limited) is to somehow take advantage of the fact that it's both an enchantment and a soldier.

I sided in Chosen by Heliod against an agro red deck

NO WAR

Liliana emergent

Potato-Dragon wrote:
A 1/2 with no abilities isn't really worth a card, aside from some theoretical environment where dealing exactly 2 damage to a creature is a fairly rare event.

It could be a useful early deterrant against red creature decks. It's tough enough to kill off an attacking 1/1 without trading, yet cheap enough that they don't want to trade an ?/1 or burn spell to get rid of it.

Grumman wrote:

Potato-Dragon wrote:
A 1/2 with no abilities isn't really worth a card, aside from some theoretical environment where dealing exactly 2 damage to a creature is a fairly rare event.

It could be a useful early deterrant against red creature decks. It's tough enough to kill off an attacking 1/1 without trading, yet cheap enough that they don't want to trade an ?/1 or burn spell to get rid of it.

Obviously.

The question is why you would want to do that, as opposed to playing a 2/1 (which is also good against X/1 and is more useful at just about anything else) or a 1/1 - 1/2 with an ability that can do something more useful to your deck than just maybe stalling a little against opponents playing a fast red strategy. Maybe "not worth a card" is a bit exaggerated, but in my experience I would prefer just about anything else most of the time.

I like it. A Holy Strength that replaces itself when the enchanted creature leaves. And a new card for the Hopeful Eidolon-Ethereal Armor deck.

NO WAR

Liliana emergent

Cheapest bestow cost so far.

Potato-Dragon wrote:

Eeee... normally I love flexible cards, but this seems pretty crappy. A 1/2 with no abilities isn't really worth a card, aside from some theoretical environment where dealing exactly 2 damage to a creature is a fairly rare event. The other half is a holy strength for that sometimes effectively gives you a token. While both halves need to be subpar for balance reasons, they seem to be a little too subpar. But it's not like they could have made the card any better than this anyway; 2/1 or 1/3 or tacking on an ability would've required them to increase the casting cost and probably the bestow cost as well.

I would prefer holy strength to this if all I cared about was heroic. The only reason I could see using one (aside from having no better options in limited) is to somehow take advantage of the fact that it's both an enchantment and a soldier.

I know, I mean a 1/2 for 1 mana is decent but personally I'd rather choose Favored Hoplite over this since it has the potential to grow & has a pretty good heroic ability. For 1 extra mana I'd rather splash for Hopeful Eidolon bestow cost to give whatever creature I target lifelink

every little creatures gets bigger when Phalanx Leader is on the board

I want many one drops out when I bestow holy strength on it.

NO WAR

Liliana emergent

I'd agree. I'd rather run Favored Hoplite or Hopeful Eidolon over this. As for being a early deterrent against red creature decks, I'd rather run Gods Willing over this as it's instant, triggers heroic and gives you scry 1.

Sign In to post comments