Speculation for Born of the Gods and Journey into Nyx

54 posts / 0 new
Last post

So having seen a few leaks and other speculation, I wanted to present my theories for the next 2 blocks:

Born of the Gods:

The title suggests this will be about those who are "Born of the Gods," gods given the body of mortals, like Perseus. I'm assuming that the Heroic ability will be expanded more in this. Humans and other "mundane" creatures will appear with impressive abilities, likely many Legendary creatures, and there will be less enchantment creatures.

Journey Into Nyx:

We can guess what the story will be. As for the gameplay mechanics, this would be the opposite of Born of the Gods; taking place in the realm of the Gods themselves, enchantment permanents would be extremely prevalent. Also, some surreal art is likely due. An early leak shows Elspeth and Ajani fighting a huge monster, presumed to be Mogis. We know that Elspeth wrote a letter to Ajani, and Heliod planned to make her his champion, likely sending her to defeat Mogis.

Something else is worth noting: Besides the 5 Gods we got in Theros, several other 2-color Gods were shown:

-Athreos, Ferryman of the Dead (WB)

-Iroas, God of Victory (RW)

-Mogis, God of Destruction (BR)

-Pharika, God of Grief and Old Age (BG)

-Ephara (UW- though the only card to mention Ephara is Ephara's Warden, UW and GW are the only color schemes not to be featured on a Theros card and imply one of the Gods.)

-Keranos, God of Storms (UR)

-Kruphix, God fo Mystery (UG)

-Karametra, God of Agriculture (GW- though there are no GW cards that implicate Karametra, like Ephara, the two that mention her give some pretty clear clues- Setessan Battle Priest is white, and Setessa is mainly a Green city-state, and Bronze Sable mentions Karametra awakening "guardians" in a shrine, a rather GW tactic)

-Phenax, God of Deceit (UB)

Its easily assumable that we'll be seeing them in future blocks. Whether or not they'll all hit in one of the two blocks or if they'll be spread out 5 per block, like Ravnica, is yet to be seen. Also debatable is if they'll function the same as the 5 main Gods, becoming creatures according to your devotion since they're 2 colors.

A notable absence from the God lists is a RG God. However, something I noted (and I'm sure I'm not the only one to see this) is that Xenagos, a RG planeswalker, according to the Theros guide, is attempting to becoem a God. Its entirely possible that he'll be reprinted as a God.

Also, do you think there will be an Artifact God?

May the pulls ever be in your favor

I can see Xenagos going god-mode, but while I wholly understand the rules of the game, it feels a bit weird that they'd print a Legendary Creature and a Planeswalker of the same type in the same block. New players may not understand why you can still have both out simultaneously.

I haven't seen anything in Theros yet to imply that there'd be an Artifact God. 

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

They said 15 gods so I don't think we will get an artifact god.  Also it would not fit on the type line.
They have also said that it will be 5 and 5 in the next 2 sets.

Based on the triler I think the "big bad" that Heliod needed a champion for is going to be Xenagos.

Maybe not an artifact god, but maybe an artifact to summon one (or a god token. A bit like Dark Depths.)

I am thinking we are going to be seeing Enchantment Lands before this block is over. Something like:

Heliod's Sanctuary
Enchantment Land
[cardname] enters the battlefield tapped. As long as [cardname] isn't tapped, creatures you control get +0/+1.
Tap: add W to your mana pool.

Mechanically, I'm thinking if they do Enchantment Lands that they'll instead give activated abilities that resemble Enchantments. Either they'll use pure mana costs like the Gods themselves or they'll have a tap effect that allows them to function as enchantments while they remain tapped, using a "may choose not to untap" effect similar to Rust Tick or Vedalken Shackles. That could be conveyed as the land channeling the Gods' or Nyx's energy. Even more likely though is the possibility such lands will or would use devotion to render them enchantments or lands much like how the Gods use devotion to be creatures.

I think Enchantment Land can be a bit like bestow, in that it can work as an enchantment or a land, and is useful as both. Kinda like the reinforcement U/W kithkin land.

Something like this:

Altar of Kruphix (R)

Enchantment Land

Altar of Kruphix enters the battlefield tapped.

add or to your mana pool

the next spell you cast has flash

Sanctuary : Enchanted land gains " the next spell you cast has flash."(You may pay and target a land you control as this card enters the battlefield. If you do, it becomes an Aura with enchant land. It becomes a land again if it is not attached to another land.)

If you want to play it as a land, then you play it as a land. You can also play it on a land, to make its effect work for you as an instant, at the cost of a land drop and some extra mana

They've totally got to have a red devotion ramp spell, something with the text "Add to your mana pool an amount of equal to your devotion to red." They can call it Ritual of Purphoros or some such. A burn spell that deals damage to target creature or player equal to your red devotion would also be sweet. And why not complete the package with a +X/+0 spell?

I tell you, devotion just might be my favorite thing about Theros.

oh man. I want to see an instant blue devotion scry spell  that says "scry X, where X is your devotion to blue, then draw X cards."

Looking at the pictures released in the arcana today it seems the next two blocks will be about Xenagos's quest to make himself a god like it says in his backstory and since parts of him are of the nigh sky (nyx) like the gods it seems he succeeds. Also it seems Ajani will be in this block as the picture for Journey into Nyx has him and Elspeth fighting againsted the deified Xenagos.

It also seems he gets nastier-looking with each set, though that may just be a case of differing artistic styles.

im interested to see how the 2 color gods are designed; since devotion + multicolor seems counterintuitive.

perhaps they will require either color for devotion, but not be indestructible.  or maybe they will have separate effects depending on which color devotion you activate.

either way i am personally excited for the new ajani, since it is likely to be 2-color.

Kazepenku wrote:

oh man. I want to see an instant blue devotion scry spell  that says "scry X, where X is your devotion to blue, then draw X cards."

i would love to see something along these lines as well.

Nyx is likely to be colorless ~Wizard of the Seven Eyes

NO WAR

DOD replaces human label with terrorist Blood-Chin Fanatic

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

LXD (animation battle) - The Good,The Bad & The RA

Five predictions for these two sets

(1) We get ten more gods - each of the guild pairs (duh!)

(2) We get a marquee enchantment land...

Nyx Gateway

Enchantment Land (R)

: Add to your mana pool.

: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast enchantment spells.

(3) We get a thematic answer to indestructible...

Touch of Mortality -

Enchantment - Aura (C)

Enchant Permanent

When Mortality enters the battelfield, draw a card.

If enchanted permanent has indestructible, it may be destroyed as though it didn't have indestructible.

(4) ...and a thematic ascension to godhood....

Ascension to Godhood -

Enchantment - Aura (R)

Enchant Creature

Touch of the Deity has indestructible.

Enchanted creature has indestructible and is an Enchantment God in addition to its other types.

(hmmm... its a bit too close to Gift of Immortality.. something else then)

(5) Bestow, Heroic and Monstrosity continue in both sets, but with a twist.

eg. non mana monstrosity costs

Sacrifice X creatures: Monstrosity X.

When this creature becomes monstrous, target opponent sacrifices X creatures.

For bestow and heroic, they might introduce spellwild ouphe creatures.

We have Soul Foundry for creatures.

We have Prototype Portal for artifacts.

Maybe we'll get something similar for enchantments/auras.

To autocard: [c]Killer Whale[/c] ⇒ Killer Whale

Both of those were made in an artifact block, which granted could be following Theros block. Soul Foundry was partially designed because Mirrodin directly followed Onslaught block, which was dominated by creature tribal, and Prototype Portal was just a logical continuation of Foundry's concept.

As for an Enchantment version? I don't know if they'll make one in this block, but if an artifact block does indeed follow Theros, it's possible they'll print one there. It will most likely require bringing Imprint back, but Elite Arcanist shows us ability words can be used without the words. However, an even more likely option would be an enchantment that exiles and produces enchantment copies.

I now find myself wanting replicators specifically for Auras, Equipment, and perhaps Artifact Creatures (flavored as a mass-production assembly line of sort).

If we already have a replicator for Equipment and two​ replicators for artifact creatures , and the enchantment one would also work for Auras, I'm not sure I understand the desire for weirdly narrow varients of those cards.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

Simple: Lower casting cost. Since you restrict the range of candidates, the cost can be reduced to or even . And there's flavor motivations as well. The same argument could be applied to Parallel Lives versus Doubling Season. And they provide additional options without being 100% identical.

It may be just me, but, it seems like Xenagos is different from the other gods, the Nyx part looks a lot like he was extremely damaged/ torn in half, where the other gods, excluding Erebos, seems like the Nyx part is their shadow. And in the Journey Into Nyx, it looks like he's further damaged. I also kind of wonder, if Heliod and the others were once Planeswalkers themselves. Part of me wonders, that since Nyx is not the Blind Eternities, if he'll bring friends through to Nyx for an epic showdown of Nyx Monsters and the Gods. I can't wait to see what an Emissary of Xenagos will be like.

Since the Minor Gods are confirmed to not get weapons, I don't know about the chances of Emissaries, or for that matter Ordeals, either. If they were gold, they'd take up the uncommon slot for each respective color pair in their set. Not to mention the Major Gods and their associated cards already mined a lot of the design space, such as the Ordeals getting about the most basic effects for each color possible. My guess is that the Minor Gods are designed to compliment the Major Gods while still functioning on their own.

As for what I do expect to see:

• The remaining Temples (, , , , and ) in Born of the Gods to ensure they get as much time in Standard as possible

• The corresponding gods - Ephara, Keranos, Mogis, Pharika, and Karametra - in the same set, leaving Athreos, Phenax, Iroas, Kruphix, and the mysterious tenth god *coughXenagoscough* to appear in Journey into Nyx

• Compliments to the off-color megacycle from Theros, likely whichever cards match the gods in each set

I wonder if we'll get cards that look at your opponent's devotion to a color

That would be a fun card. I can see red going in such a direction.

Red Sorcery 1RRR (maybe?)
[Card name] deals X damage to target player or creature where X is that player's devotion to blue.

This card would be a big blow to mono blue devotion I think.

OR maybe... make these gods NOT creatures when your devotions are high enough to make them resillient to removal.

Phenax, God of Deceit

Legendary Enchantment Creature - God

Phenax, God of Deceit is not a creature when both your devotion to blue and black is more than 3.

: target player draws a card, activate this only when your devotion to blue is more than 3

: each opponent discards a card , activate this only when your devotion to black is more than 3

: each opponent puts the top three cards of their libraries into their graveyards. Activate this only when both your devotion to blue and black is more than 3.

3/3

A simpler/ more vanilla way of doing it:

Kruphix, God of Mysteries

Legendary Enchantment Creature - God

Creatures you control cannot be blocked.

Kruphix, God of Mysteries is not a creature when both your devotion to green and blue is more than 3.

3/1

That feels counterintuitive. "Since you're so devoted to my colors, I'll go ahead and go immaterial and let you fight this battle yourself. Best of luck! :D" No, I don't think they're going to flip-flop like that. We have the template provided by the Primary Gods, it's highly likely the rest will follow that template for the sake of resonance.

Our current set of gods have a lot of features.  I'm unsure which of them would be applied to the lesser gods.

Indestructable?  I'd like them to be, but I can see that being a major balance issue.

Devotion-dependent?  Seems clunky with two colors, but this is really the only thing that makes the main gods not unbelievablly overpowered.

High power and toughness?  Can you picture a god with a low power and toughness?  You saw how big Xenagos gets.  If that's the standard, I think it's pretty much required that they all be huge.

I could also see them breaking from the two-ability formula and going with something more specialized.

Do you remember where we all came from?

Do you remember what it's all about?

Take Over the Skies, staring Talrand, Sky Summoner

Hydra Kids, Hydra Wife, staring Animar, Soul of Elements

The design basis is quite simple, actually.

• Naturally, the gods will be two-colored. This has been hinted at all throughout the first set and confirmed by Wizards staff.
  • They will have indestructible for the same reasons as the primary gods. Design doesn't want just any kill spell being able to remove these guys.
  • They will likely check for your devotion to both of their colors but not require a high devotion to both to access their full funtionality. Since you're forced to run two colors, the least they can do is make them more flexible while still supporting the high color weight devotion encourages.
  • The P/T will likely fall somewhere between 5 and 7, maybe 4 and 8.
  • Much like the guildmages of RTR, since you're running both colors anyway, it'd make sense for the secondary gods to have abilities with CD in their cost.

One thing the secondary gods won't have is their own personal artifacts, as confirmed by MaRo himself. Considering the average small set only gets around 35 rares and each set will only get at the most one rare for each pair, this is understandable.

Assuming the secondary gods will be mythic, likely as they'll be among the most important cards in each set, this also presents us with the question of how mythics will be distributed throughout the rest of the block. Small sets usually get 10 mythics and there's little reason to buck the trend for this block. The gods will represent 5 of those, leaving 5 other slots. For now we can assume the five pairs not represented in Theros (, , , , and ) will get mythics other than the gods throughout the block, though likely not in the same set as the gods of those combinations to allow for more diversity in the card pool. Most likely this will mean a 2-3 split of the remaining non-God gold mythics if the Gods are distributed as follows:

Born of the Gods

• Ephara
  • Keranos
  • Mogis
  • Pharika
  • Karametra

• Mythic
  • Mythic

Journey into Nyx

• Athreos
  • Phenax
  • Iroas
  • Most-definitely-not-Xenagos >_>
  • Kruphix

• Mythic
  • Mythic
  • Mythic

I can see something like:

Iroas

Creature/Enchantment God

Indestructible

Creatures you control get +1/+0 equal to your devotion to red

Creatures you control get +0/+1 equal to your devotion to white

0/0

From what I've heard (how many times has that been said?), BotG will have the 5 allied-colored gods, JiN will have the enemy-colors.

I'm fairly certain that the remaining 5 scry lands will be released in BotG. The only reasons I've heard about why we got the off-pattern selection in Theros was due to RtR-block influence.

Also, while i would like new printings of plainswalkers, I truly hope that Ajani does not turn . We need a  'walker, but Ajani should stay /. (Ultimately I want wizards to print a core set where all 15 mythic slots are walkers, each one a different type.)

As for how the new gods would function...consider this template,

Xenagos, God of the Wild  

Legendary Enchantment Creature - God

Indestructible

Xenagos, God of the Wild does not count as a creature unless your devotion to red or green is greater than four.

: Put a 3/1 red satyr creature token with haste onto the battlefield.

: Target creature you control gets +2/+2 and gains trample until end of turn.

5/5

Had to turn the devotion mechanic inside out to make it work. what do you guys think?

Too close to YMTC there; at least sblock it. My guess is that the gods slated to appear in Born of the Gods will match up with the Temples, which are of course debuting in BotG to get them into Standard ASAP. The gods matching the first set of temples will appear in Journey into Nyx.

Based on the flavor of the name, I'm getting a feeling JiN will feature more enchantments and especially enchantment creatures than normal, sort of like how Alara Reborn was all about gold but without 100% devotion.

Manite wrote:

Too close to YMTC there; at least sblock it. My guess is that the gods slated to appear in Born of the Gods will match up with the Temples, which are of course debuting in BotG to get them into Standard ASAP. The gods matching the first set of temples will appear in Journey into Nyx.

Based on the flavor of the name, I'm getting a feeling JiN will feature more enchantments and especially enchantment creatures than normal, sort of like how Alara Reborn was all about gold but without 100% devotion.

But we've seen Xenagos in his ascended form in the art spoiler and we already have our R/G scry land.  I mean, he'll still be a god when JiN comes around, but I would expect him to get depicted on a card before then.

Is it possible that the minor gods could have hybrid mana costs?

rulesinquisitor wrote:

Is it possible that the minor gods could have hybrid mana costs?

As far as I know, hybrid mana costs have been exclusive to the Ravnica blocks up to this point, so I highly doubt it.

Lorwyn and shadowmoor would like a word with you.

With the exception of the Shadowmoor miniblock, two-color hybrid has always been a component of a set with a larger gold theme, the existent examples being Ravnica and Alara. Ravnica introduced the concept and kept it limited to one common, uncommon, and rare for each guild. Alara Reborn incorporated it into the tricolor model for a pair of commons and an uncommon in each shard, resulting in the cards still technically being gold while only requiring two colors to play. The most notable of these was the common Shard Xblade cycle, each of which was a 2/1 creature with a cost of d/eC that got an additional +1/+1 and had an extra ability as long as you controlled another multicolored permanent.

Generally, hybrid exists to support multicolor themes; that is, it works best in a block dedicated to multicolor as it allows for easier splashing in multicolor decks. I highly doubt hybrid will appear in Theros as it does not have multicolor commons and therefore does not have a multicolor theme. At the most, we'd see uncommon or rare hybrid cards, which misses the most important aspect of hybrid: Limited splashability.

Another hybrid-themed block in the future would be interesting, however I think it should be quite different from Shadowmoor. Something with a bit of a sci-fi twist could be neat; that way they'd have the perfect excuse to bring in colorless hybrid artifacts with costs like : and . Artifacts would be the perfect place to apply that particular mechanic as artifacts are used to defying the color pie anyway and allow you to get one color's benefits at a cheaper price when playing that color. Colorless hybrid would also work well for cycling, should they opt to bring it back.

Here's what you can absolutely expect:

• Gods costing 3 to 5 mana.
  • Gods being indestructible.
  • Gods turning from enchantments to enchantment creatures.
  • Gods caring about devotion.

After that things get mucky:

• Gods might care about devotion to "color" or "color", but not the total of both.
  • OR might care about devotion to total of "color or color".
  • OR might care about deovtion to "color" and "color", requiring a minimum in each.

• Gods that have a similar power/toughness than the Large set's gods, but only if they're about as difficult to turn online.
  • OR have lower power/toughness (they are minor), but only if they're easier to bring online.
  • OR have a similar power/toughness with better abilities, but only if they're more difficult to turn online.

Finally, here are some likely abilities:

• Blue/Black god mills cards (reference to old age).
  • A god that makes Enchantment Creature tokens.
  • An aggressive Red/White god.
  • Gods with "creatures you control have" abilities.

Well, looking at the monocolored gods, they all have three things in common:

1) They all require a devotion of 5. (Maybe a combined total of five of both colors?)

2) They all have a passive abiltity. A ability that is active always.

3)  Lastly, they all have an activated abilty.

I think we can all assume that the minor gods will follow the same, or similar, template.  maybe in the case of the blue/black god the passive could be that cards sent to the graveyard are exiled and the active allows you to play exiled spells (Like a certian blue/black plainswalker we all know...)

The reason I don't see the minor gods caring about devotion to two colors is that it kind of throws the whole effect and theme of the devotion mechanic out the window.  Devotion is all about having permanents of a a specific color in play, thus pushing you in the direction of a mono-colored deck.  Devotion to two colors just doesn't make sense.  At that point, you're basically just counting permanents, with the only consideration being how much colorless mana they don't cost.

I think the minor gods will cost slightly more, maybe be a tad weaker on average, and have more color-stringent abilities, like costing two colored mana, or only applying to creatures in one of their colors.

Not entirely. The Secondary Gods still want their devotion, they just happen to have two colors to choose from. My belief is that the gods will require a devotion of 5 in just one of their two colors; that way they still technically count towards one devotion total and you merely have to splash to play them. The activated ability will most likely be gold for the same reason it is on the RTR guildmages: you're running both colors anyway, might as well use 'em.

However, we don't know what other mechanics will be introduced at this point and there's a definite chance any of them could be used by a God, like Scry was by Thassa, so making a call at this point is difficult.

Manite wrote:

Not entirely. The Secondary Gods still want their devotion, they just happen to have two colors to choose from. My belief is that the gods will require a devotion of 5 in just one of their two colors; that way they still technically count towards one devotion total and you merely have to splash to play them. The activated ability will most likely be gold for the same reason it is on the RTR guildmages: you're running both colors anyway, might as well use 'em.

However, we don't know what other mechanics will be introduced at this point and there's a definite chance any of them could be used by a God, like Scry was by Thassa, so making a call at this point is difficult.

Requiring sufficient devotion to one of the two colors seems like a bad way to go about it.  In that case, the most effective strategy would be to run as mono-colored a deck as possible and then splash in a minor god, which dosn't sound like devotion at all.  This isn't Purphoros's deck and it isn't Erebos' deck!  This is Mogis' deck!

Hey, if the player wants to splash, they should be able to. Mogis can share with Erebos or Purphoros. But I'm telling you the most efficient set up they could use that I see at this moment is "If A or B is true, then C is true". It's a good tradeoff for having to run two colors to begin with while still supporting devotion's preference for monocolor. Yeah, they could just count the combined devotion to A and to B, but that will mean the Gods always provide a devotion of 2 to begin with, and it will make the 3-devotion hybrids from RTR - Boros Reckoner, Nightveil Specter, and Rubblebelt Raiders - ridiculously good.

Flyinpenguin117 wrote:

So having seen a few leaks and other speculation, I wanted to present my theories for the next 2 blocks:

Born of the Gods:

The title suggests this will be about those who are "Born of the Gods," gods given the body of mortals, like Perseus. I'm assuming that the Heroic ability will be expanded more in this. Humans and other "mundane" creatures will appear with impressive abilities, likely many Legendary creatures, and there will be less enchantment creatures.

Journey Into Nyx:

We can guess what the story will be. As for the gameplay mechanics, this would be the opposite of Born of the Gods; taking place in the realm of the Gods themselves, enchantment permanents would be extremely prevalent. Also, some surreal art is likely due. An early leak shows Elspeth and Ajani fighting a huge monster, presumed to be Mogis. We know that Elspeth wrote a letter to Ajani, and Heliod planned to make her his champion, likely sending her to defeat Mogis.

Something else is worth noting: Besides the 5 Gods we got in Theros, several other 2-color Gods were shown:

-Athreos, Ferryman of the Dead (WB)

-Iroas, God of Victory (RW)

-Mogis, God of Destruction (BR)

-Pharika, God of Grief and Old Age (BG)

-Ephara (UW- though the only card to mention Ephara is Ephara's Warden, UW and GW are the only color schemes not to be featured on a Theros card and imply one of the Gods.)

-Keranos, God of Storms (UR)

-Kruphix, God fo Mystery (UG)

-Karametra, God of Agriculture (GW- though there are no GW cards that implicate Karametra, like Ephara, the two that mention her give some pretty clear clues- Setessan Battle Priest is white, and Setessa is mainly a Green city-state, and Bronze Sable mentions Karametra awakening "guardians" in a shrine, a rather GW tactic)

-Phenax, God of Deceit (UB)

Its easily assumable that we'll be seeing them in future blocks. Whether or not they'll all hit in one of the two blocks or if they'll be spread out 5 per block, like Ravnica, is yet to be seen. Also debatable is if they'll function the same as the 5 main Gods, becoming creatures according to your devotion since they're 2 colors.

A notable absence from the God lists is a RG God. However, something I noted (and I'm sure I'm not the only one to see this) is that Xenagos, a RG planeswalker, according to the Theros guide, is attempting to becoem a God. Its entirely possible that he'll be reprinted as a God.

Also, do you think there will be an Artifact God?

This is something I've been wanting to ask.

Does the flavor text and/or name of cards often lead to hints of what is it come?   I'm still new to Magic so I haven't seen a full block set roll off the presses.

If so, I can undoubtedly see this two-color mini-gods coming to print.

Death, like life, is swift.

Sign In to post comments