Speculation about Born of the Gods' mythic rares

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Large sets have 15 mythics. They are usually two monocolored ones of each color, and five of any combination. Most planeswalkers are not included in that monocolored count, and the rest is filled with artifacts, lands or random gold cards that don't adhere to the set structure.

Theros has two monocolored mythics per color, and five mythic gold cards. The last five mythics could have easily been the three planeswalkers plus two artifacts, lands or meaningful gold cards. Instead, Elspeth is counted in white, and we get the legendary Medomai, but also a Cerberus () and a random archon (), the only nonplaneswalker gold cards in addition the uncommon and rare cycle. I could have seen something like the Archon been designed as a rare, and being swapped to mythic, thus leaving no rare. But they did complete everything, so how the slots where chosen is not coincidental.

I'm guessing, then, that the next set will have 5 mythics in the following (missing) color combinations: , , , , in addition to the five expected monocolored ones. Some of these will be planeswalkers that were chosen as those colors because they don't have space to play around.

They clearly want a strict ten-guild God cycle, yet they unbalanced the colors in a very strange fashion in the first set without the need to, so I'm guessing the other Gods will just be rare.

And this is also a new excuse to think Ajani may appear as the first planeswalker.

Prediction: Born of the Gods and Journey into Nix will each have five gods, since it's established lore that there are ten 'minor' gods of Theros in the two-color combinations.  These will be Mythic, because God.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

I think the most likely thing to happen is that they space out the remaining 5 color combos for mythic over the next two sets.

I do think them not having a GW mythic makes GW Ajani VERY likely since going 4 ally and one enemy is a giant red flag that something is up.

Tevish_Szat wrote:

Prediction: Born of the Gods and Journey into Nix will each have five gods, since it's established lore that there are ten 'minor' gods of Theros in the two-color combinations.  These will be Mythic, because God.

If they do have ten mythic two-color Gods and at least one planeswalker that isn't monocolor in the rest of the block, they will have a set that's missing a monocolored mythic. It may not seem like a big deal, but many people care about splashy new cards outside the theme. Dragon's Maze has been the only where there wasn't at least one monocolored mythic of each color since Alara block. They were both heavily multicolor and had to satisfy all kinds of constraints. But note that sets like RTR and MBS, which could have also justified the issue, didn't.

.Blaze. wrote:

I think the most likely thing to happen is that they space out the remaining 5 color combos for mythic over the next two sets.

I do think them not having a GW mythic makes GW Ajani VERY likely since going 4 ally and one enemy is a giant red flag that something is up.

Exactly. It seems very well-thought. They don't even follow the Gatecrash/scry lands distribution. It's a set up.

Shiny_Umbreon wrote:

Exactly. It seems very well-thought. They don't even follow the Gatecrash/scry lands distribution. It's a set up.

no, IT'S A TRAP!Admiral Ackbar - "It's A Trap!"

Sign In to post comments