[THS-ICD] Anthousa, Setessan Hero

25 posts / 0 new
Last post

Anthousa, Setessan Hero

Legendary Creature - Human Warrior  Rare
Heroic -- Whenever your cast a spell that targets Anthousa, Setessan Hero, up to three target lands your control each become 2/2 Warrior creatures until end of turn. They're still lands.

The warrios she leads can rarely keep pace with her, and neither can the tales.

Source: Theros Packaging
great way to activate battalion effect in a naya deck, just giant growth her before combat and attack with your new army of creatures
Nifty, but I'm always wary of decks that utilize lands as creatures.  If I do it, it's almost always to push for an alpha strike.  Bad things can happen.
Lol, Quicken + Supreme Verdict

vvv Whoa - funny coincidence.
Nifty, but I'm always wary of decks that utilize lands as creatures.  If I do it, it's almost always to push for an alpha strike.  Bad things can happen.

I also agree.

I also agree.

lol exactly... Ninja'd.

Lands as creatures always make my stomach turn.  yech.
if only the lands were 2/3 creatures
NO WAR

DOD replaces human label with terrorist Blood-Chin Fanatic

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

LXD (animation battle) - The Good,The Bad & The RA

Isn't it quite unusual for the lands to get creature types when animated? The set was supposed to have small tribal themes.
Also it's weird that she animates lands to help her when she clearly just stabs those minotaurs in the throat. 
Also it's weird that she animates lands to help her when she clearly just stabs those minotaurs in the throat. 

The Lands turn into Warriors, not specifically Minotaur Warriors. In fact, considering Greek mythology, the Minotaurs are probably Monsters and she as a Hero has to fight them ;).

The Lands turn into Warriors, not specifically Minotaur Warriors. In fact, considering Greek mythology, the Minotaurs are probably Monsters and she as a Hero has to fight them ;).

You misunderstand me. Based on her abilities I'd have guessed the monsters in the art would be crushed by some moving hills or some other form of animated earth. But she just....kills them.
Ooh. Can I do a bad "Warriors come out to play" impression whenever I target this card? 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwwY9y6O3hw

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Cool, an amazonian hero, about time.

Nice ability but i dont know if its my thing.
Hmm..... Don't really think this will see Constructed play, unless there's enough support.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Neat mechanic, but the ability is risky.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!

Read the flavor text again maybe you'll understand the second time.

The complete disconnect between her ability and her art leads me to believe she was victim to an 11th hour change.
my only disdane about this card is the Human 4/5  she dont look no 4/5.

when i view this card through the Wild Beastmaster

She's singlehandedly fighting off two minotaurs who are both at least double her size.
Just because she looks a certain way doesn't mean she doesn't have super strength.

She's killing two minotaurs at the same time, all by herself. Are they only 2/2s? A typical mino is 3/3 (canyon minotaur), so she could be even stronger than that.

[<o>]
Oh cool, she's sowing dragon's teeth to make warriors, like the first king of Thebes did.

First off, why do you need to sound like a condescending jerk?
Secondly, your example says nothing about why this isn't a flavor fail.  There's zero connection between her art and her ability.

The complete disconnect between her ability and her art leads me to believe she was victim to an 11th hour change.

And I'm also leaning towards this.
Yeah she probably fought creatures at first, but they realized that's actually very very powerful.
This card makes me want to throw up.

3DH4LIF3

First off, why do you need to sound like a condescending jerk?
Secondly, your example says nothing about why this isn't a flavor fail.  There's zero connection between her art and her ability.

Even her flavor text doesn't make much sense.  So her companion warriors can't keep pace with her and so her ability is to bring warriors to the fight...

Er...

Huh?

So is she just bringing the warriors to the fight to prove how cool she is by being the only one to survive?
Heroic could be interesting.  Maybe we'll get another Legendary Hexproof creature with Heroic?  I can hope .

That said, I don't care for the ability on this one.  So far I prefer the RW Legendary. 
Sign In to post comments