WEMICS

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have another question on wemics that i didn't post with the first question...I have a pride of wemics that are a rag tag bunch of formerly enslaved or destroyed tribes. Some were rescured as cubs others are older, middle aged, and somewhat older. However I was wondering if the chieftan is the only one that gets to mate within the pride and how many female wemics should be allowed to mate with him. There are several middle aged wemics in the pride that may take a liking to one of the female wemics within the pride. Since none of them are related to each other I don't want to have to think of the incestuous side of the coin. If the chieftan finds a liking to the same female per say should they duke it out.
Im afraid anything on the wemics is 3.x or 1 and 2 e lore.

and I also do not have pre 3.x lore and iirc correctly it didnt say anything on the mating habits of the wemics ( Im away from my books at the moment) .
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Got a question what is the pregnancy cycle of a wemic and how many times a year can they give birth?

An answer to this, and your other question below, can be found in an old source:  Dragon magazine, #157 (published 1990).  The article is "The Ecology of the Wemic" by J.F. Keeping:
"...wemics mate at any time of the year. The gestation period is six months. Twins and triplets are not common but are not as rare as with humanity. The cub is born with its eyes open, like a human baby, and grows at a remarkable rate. They are weaned at six months, then taught the skills of the pride by their third year."

I have another question on wemics that i didn't post with the first question...I have a pride of wemics that are a rag tag bunch of formerly enslaved or destroyed tribes. Some were rescured as cubs others are older, middle aged, and somewhat older. However I was wondering if the chieftan is the only one that gets to mate within the pride and how many female wemics should be allowed to mate with him. There are several middle aged wemics in the pride that may take a liking to one of the female wemics within the pride. Since none of them are related to each other I don't want to have to think of the incestuous side of the coin. If the chieftan finds a liking to the same female per say should they duke it out.

Info from the same article above, with some paraphrasing on my part.  Most wemics, except rarely for some exceptional male leaders in rare cases, have 1:1 monogomous relationships.  These can be initiated by the male, but the female makes the choice on pairing.  A chieftain of a tribe may have more than one wife, but again it's rare.  Males assert dominance or strength positions by way of a highly ritualized duel combat when necessary.  Although they are "stone age" in their technology, they have a deep and complex social history with oral traditions (stories) and panting on walls or hides.  You won't have to worry about anything incestuous going on, if you go by the old article.

My impression is that a wemic "pride" isn't quite like a lion pride.  Instead of one male and multiple females (as with lions), a wemic pride would be an extended family with multiple mated pairs of wemics.  The strongest male would lead the pride, which mostly would be for hunting parties.  Several of these prides might come together to form a tribe.  When multiple prides come together, a tribal leader is actually elected.  When multiple tribes come together, the tribe leaders choose a king.  If there's animosity or a need for two males to test each other for strength, they will have a ritual combat - one will be shown as dominant, but both will live.  Weaker males will typically have mates, but females will consider them less desirable than the stronger males (remember, though, it's 1:1 pairing for life unless you have a really strong leader).

In cases of survival, which it sounds like you've got with your multiple tribes forced together by circumstances, they won't have a lot of infighting.  Because they're not lions, they're humanoid lion-taurs, they will blend and work for the good and survival of their own species.  They may not be thrilled about having multiple tribes come together, but they will blend over time.  They have a life-expectancy of about 40-50 years.  In a "free plains" situation where you might have several tribes without any real outside threats, they will eventually have tribe-vs-tribe conflicts.  But even if they're fighting over land and availability of prey for hunting, they will conquer another tribe and have it blend into their own - with dominance and rulership going to the winners and the strongest male of the winning tribe.  Resentment and prejudice are not long-lasting, according to the article.

Sign In to post comments