Any News From THE FATE OF THE FORGOTTEN REALMS?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Any good things came out from this Gen Con Seminar? 

The Fate of the Forgotten Realms
Join novelists R.A. Salvatore, Ed Greenwood, Troy Denning, Erin Evans, and Richard Lee Byers to discuss the Sundering, and the great stories still to be told.
When: Saturday 4 – 6 PM 
I attended the seminar. I did not pick up much in the way of big reveals; the authors were mostly trying to avoid spoilers IMHO.  All seemed very charged with the project and reenegerized with the Forgotten Realms.  Both Bob and Ed said "it feels like 1988, 87 or 86 again" to them.

Bob Salvatore stated he has 3 more books planned based upon the events in the Companion, and his next book, technically not part of the Sundering will be out in March 2014, with the rest in roughly one year increments.

Ed Greenwood stated that he would really liked to see the deities not be so readily visiting the Realms in person but more of remaining mysterious, and sending dream visions and signs (like a rosey glow from an altar for Lathander). Dead deities will return albeit was not clear if new deities go away or what power various deities would have. 

The Sundering was stated to be the last major RSE. The change is not driven by D&D Next (5e) but rather a desire to restore the Realms to more of its traditional feel. Bob said he and Ed started plotting immediately after the Spellplague/100 year jump was revealed to them.  Never again will the Realms be changed to reflect a D&D rules change (although it is not totally clear to me how you enforce that).

Bob story in The Companions brings his story up to DR 1484, The Year of the Awaken Sleeper. Ed said his novel, The Herald will take the story to 1487 or 88. Some remarks were made how amazing it was they would choose years, then discover in the Roll of Years, how appropriate the Year Name was.  (Ed just smiled.)

The authors participated in two summits to align their respective books with the events in the Sundering. They really liked the interaction and hope that WotC will sponsor future FR summits so that keeping the shared world on track is easier.

As I recall credit was given to Mike Mearls and James Wyatt for making the Sundering possible.

No discussion was permitted on future products or if outreach was made to other FR authors, such as Elaine Cunningham.

My 2 cents.

Keith

Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
So, basically nothing new...

Thanks for sharing, tho .
Thanks Keith! Yeah nothing new. Was it recorded or filmed?
Here's a post from Erik Scott De Bie on the subject over at Candlekeep;

Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
[br]The WotC even was really just talking about how they collaborated like crazy to come up with the Sundering, how they're looking forward to it (and the Realms going forward), and a few cryptic hints but no real information.

To paraphrase, R.A. Salvatore made a great point about how the Realms had recently become really dark--as in, the grimdarkification of fantasy was creeping into basically every Realms novel--and that he saw the Sundering as a way to return the Realms to a place where that isn't always the case. There's still plenty of room (as RLB put it) for the dark to show up in some novels, but going forward you'll have some books that are brighter, happier, and more "innocent" (in Bob's phraseology) heroic fantasy, like the Realms used to be.

To me, this indicates primarily that the Drizzt books will get away from the doom and gloom that has occasionally saturated them in the last couple trilogies (of particular note are the Pirate King and Ghost King novels!), and you'll get a Drizzt that is more like what Drizzt used to be--a heroic swashbuckler--plus the emotional maturity he's obtained over all those books.

I'll address the Candlekeep Presents event in the relevant thread, so as not to derail the topic.

Cheers

Well now that is welcome news to me.  Hopefully that'll creep into the setting itself as well, not just the novels.  Might be interested in it afterall.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Well now that is welcome news to me.  Hopefully that'll creep into the setting itself as well, not just the novels.  Might be interested in it afterall.

Count me in as a "me too". These days I both (run a) game in and read novels set in the Realms.

The darkening of the Realms was one of the things that I found most difficult about the 4E transition (and subsequent offerings), even within the long list of other things I had difficulties with. I have spoken before about the loss of whimsy (that Mr Salvatore might be referring to by mentioning "innocence") from the setting and from the novels.

If The Sundering will turn the tide of this then I, for one, will be interested in what comes... and will more than likely show support for it with my money too!

My approach to the NPCs of previous editions.

Show
I always saw the High Level NPCs as shepherds of the Realms not its defenders. Making sure that not too many sheep were lost as they milled around (as they are wont to do) and bringing on the young'uns into the job. In that way a shepherd never has time to go and hunt down all of the wolves but is pretty dashed effective at keeping them away from the sheep when they rear their heads.
"It was a puzzle why things were always dragged kicking and screaming. No one ever seemed to want to, for example, lead them gently by the hand." - Terry Pratchett
The lame (IMO) Grimdarkification happened in 3.5, made worse by Spellplague era.  I already have games to go to for Grimdark.  Again, I'm glad the Realms is returning to a more heroic tone.

An undead spectre occasionally returning to remind the fandom of its grim existence.

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
I don't disagree Doc, it was starting to rear it's ugly head at the tail end of 2e when Cloak and Dagger was released, with the Harper schism and that Manshoon Wars stuff.  3e continued along that same vein with all that Sharran crap, but by the mid point of 3.5e it was next to impossible to avoid in any of the Realms products.  At the time it had been such a gradual change that I didn't really notice it for what it was, but looking back on it now, the tone of 4e should have been a lot more obvious.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Sign In to post comments