Project: Osse

225 posts / 0 new
Last post
"Osse is a mysterious continent far from Faerûn. Its population shares much in common with the aboriginal populations of real-world Australia and New Zealand. The people are deeply in touch with their natural world and believe that everything has a spirit -- rocks, trees, air. They are in touch with their ancestors and venerate them along with nature. While travelers from Osse are few and far between in the Realms, those that are encountered frequently follow the path of the spirit shaman. They go on quests to find their way in life, balance wrongs in the spirit world, and help maintain the world's natural beauty."

Table of Contents

Races of Osse
Major Races
Bullywug
Dream Dwarf
Goliath
Human, Oslander
Kodingobold
Tindrraynggwa
Minor Races
Gargun

Classes of Osse
Classes
…Barbarian
…Bard
…Binder
…Favored Soul
…Ranger
…Rogue
…Scout
…Shadowcaster
…Spirit Shaman
…Sorcerer
…Witchdoctor
Prohibited Classes
…Cleric
…Monk
…Paladin
…Wizard
…A Note About Prohibited Classes

Character Options

New Skills
…Lucid Dreaming
Feats
Prestige Classes
Dream Walker
Kurdaitcha
Tattooed Soldier
Mystic Shaman

Timeline of Osse

Geography of Osse
Notable Flora and Fauna
…Baji Foam Algae
…Wapa-Yandi Flower
…Gariguu Plant
…Jamba Plant
Central Osse
Geographical Overview
Sites
…Lake Biruu’burundi (Big Hole Lake)
…Mlimli Mudlands
…Baranna’nugan
…Mantha Plains
Southeast Osse
Geographical Overview
Sites
…The Majadeem (The Guardians)
…Zurbawunda (Desert Ziggurat)
…Opaleis Desert
…Lake Ngambati
…Wenwolok Canyons
…Ruins of Kella-Thus
Western Osse
Geographical Overview
Sites
…Tolyiwandi Mountains
…Guda N'gepya Volcano
…Baranna’wendanim
…Waatikantri Swamp
…Bulaarri Lakes
…Wugulu Plains
The Forest of Dreams
Geographical Overview
Sites
Beneath Osse
The Seas of Osse

Faiths and Religions of Osse
Bullywug
…Ophisternon
Dream Dwarves
…The Dreamheart
Goliath
...Animism
...Kivaki
Humans
…Animism
…Mother Osse (related to animism)
…The Voidcallers
Kodingobold
…Animism
Tindrraynggwa

Magic of Osse
Dream Weaver Magic
Elementalism
Incarnum
Psionics
Pact Magic
…Alcherin the Dreamer
…Byunjeeli the Traveler
…Daagan the Protector
…Kunjapipi the Life-Giver
…Tunbarum the Entertainer
Specific Spells/Powers
...Illusory Dreamscape
...Illusory Dreamscape (Greater)
...Lucid Dream

Life in Osse
Bullywug
…History
…Physical Description
…Outlook
…Society
…Language and Literacy
…Names
…Magic and Lore
…Spells and Spellcasting
…Magic Items
…Deities
…Relations with Other Races
…Equipment
…Arms and Armor
…Animals and Pets
…Abilities and Racial Features
Dream Dwarves
…History
…Physical Description
…Outlook
…Society
…Language and Literacy
…Names
…Magic and Lore
…Spells and Spellcasting
…Magic Items
…Deities
…Equipment
…Arms and Armor
…Animals and Pets
Goliath
…History
…Physical Description
…Outlook
…Society
…Language and Literacy
…Names
…Magic and Lore
…Spells and Spellcasting
…Magic Items
…Deities
…Equipment
…Arms and Armor
…Animals and Pets
Humans
…History
…Physical Description
…Outlook
…Society
…Language and Literacy
…Names
…Magic and Lore
…Spells and Spellcasting
…Magic Items
…Deities
…Equipment
…Arms and Armor
…Animals and Pets
Kodingobold
…History
…Physical Description
…Outlook
…Society
…Language and Literacy
…Names
…Magic and Lore
…Spells and Spellcasting
…Magic Items
…Deities
…Equipment
…Arms and Armor
…Animals and Pets
Tindrraynggwa
…History
…Physical Description
…Outlook
…Society
…Language and Literacy
…Names
…Magic and Lore
…Spells and Spellcasting
…Magic Items
…Deities
…Equipment
…Arms and Armor
…Animals and Pets

Organizations in Osse
The Guardians
Za-Renn

Monsters of Osse
Bunyip
Burrunjor
Con Rit
Dire Animal, Dingo
Dire Animal, Emu
Dire Animal, Monitor Lizard
Globster
Gunni
Marsupial Lion
Whirlwind Devil
Spirit (Animal)
Spirit (Place)
Yowie

Items of Osse
Dizheri
Dreamstone
Oneirium
Trolls in sheep's clothing have no redeeming qualities that are beneficial towards the health of the community. My Artwork/Photography/Literature
Me, obviously. :D (Not that I have the time for such things, but anyway.) What I rambled on about in that other thread was just the tip of the ice-berg of ideas I have an Australia-themed Osse.
Who, what, where? Never heard of it.
Praise Shar!
Osse is a rarely-mentioned continent, probably based on Australia, introduced by Bruce Cordell in The Priests: Lady Of Poison with a character from there, with an Australian Aboriginal flavour.

It was also briefly mentioned in the Class Chronicles series, for Spirit Shamans and Totemists.

It can also be seen on the "A Scholar's View Of Abeir-Toril" world map in the FRCS 3e. Which one would it be? The one on the right, past the Eastern Sea and Southern Ocean?
Ok, thanks.
Praise Shar!
Cool! I already have the map done...

Merry Ol' Land of Osse:
:P
Me, obviously. :D (Not that I have the time for such things, but anyway.) What I rambled on about in that other thread was just the tip of the ice-berg of ideas I have an Australia-themed Osse.

-What thread was that? I don't remember, and my subscriptions got erased the other day.

-Or, if you have an actual file, mind copying and pasting some stuff?
Trolls in sheep's clothing have no redeeming qualities that are beneficial towards the health of the community. My Artwork/Photography/Literature
Thanks Markus. But let's not. :P

I mean, Oz already has Warforged (Tin Men), Shifters (Lion) and Halflings (Munchkins). Do we really want all that, again? :D See the Tin Man miniseries for what it would look like in D&D.

Karsus, it was the 'Continent Names' thread, here:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1151827

Oh, yeah, kodingobolds are in FR as well.

Then again, we should all finish what we've started, what with Elves of Faerun, Kara-Tur Redux and the Utter East. :D Osse is pretty much a blank-slate, we'd be starting from scratch.
Off Topic: I actually watched the Tin Man miniseries. I had no idea that it'd be so different from the original Wizard of the Oz. I thought it'd be similar to that, but more "modern" and slightly re-imagined. Ha. I recorded it thinking that my (at the time) four year old nephew would enjoy it.

It got awful reviews, but I did not think it was that bad... it was slightly cheesy, but overall interesting. Azkadellia was my favorite character as I thought she was the most complex and interesting. Also... boob bat-monkeys. Who does not love a female villain with boob bat-monkeys? I am so stealing that someday, mark my words. :P

Also, I laughed when we found out what happened to the Wizard of Oz. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it was funny in such an evil and cruel way. It was at that point when I definitely knew that it was something my four year old nephew probably shouldn't see. :P

----

As for doing Osse... please no.

I'm not really a fan of these rip-off cultures (Maztica and Kara-Tur). The last thing we need is one based off of Australia. Didn't the guy in that novel go around talking about his dingo and such? If I am not mistaken people said he was written like a bad Steve Irwin.
Didn't the guy in that novel go around talking about his dingo and such?

-No.
Just because I feel it is pertinent to mention: dingos are really just feral versions of the domestic dog and not native fauna of Australia.
Like pitbulls in Florida. :D

As for the doing Osse, I'd have to agree with BCM - we already have too many projects going on, most of which appear to be dead-ending (a lot of which is my fault).

As for the Tinman series... it BLEW CHUNKS.

The 'Dorothy' was quite possibly the worst actress I have ever seen... EVER (including school plays by Kindergarteners). I don't know who she was doing to get that part, but she must be damn good in the sack. She was truly atrocious.

I thought 'the Tinman' take itself was rather clever (making him a sheriff), but other then that, it came close to being as bad as the Flash Gorden series (which blew bigger chunks, but only because of the 'Star Gate' type of plot).

Battlestar was a rare hit for SciFI Channel - most of their series are utter schlok.

BTW, if and when I map Osse (Goegraphy only, naturally), I DO plan on using the Oz map as a basis... but trust me... you won't recognize it. ;)

And for those of you who insist on doing this project, and also for those of you 'Cat Girl' fans, I present a character class -

The 'Roo Girl', including mandatory boxing-gloves. :D
-No, just no.
No, no, no, good gods no. Take your furry nonsense elsewhere.

I've not read Lady Of Poison, so I couldn't comment. Now I want to see how it turned out.

And dingoes don't bark. They've been around long enough that they kind of "count" as an Australian animal anyway. Wikis... Huh, they're not even limited to Australia. Some are even found in America!

I must admit, my cultural cringe is kicking in now (thanks to Markus, mainly). While I think an Australian-themed fantasy would be awesome, filtering it through you Americans would not. :P No offense. :D
I've not read Lady Of Poison, so I couldn't comment. Now I want to see how it turned out.

-I'm actually rereading it, for multiple reasons:

(A) To comb the little bits of information about Osse out of it, which doesn't amount to very much.
(B) To give it a review.
(C) Because it was actually pretty good.
-No, just no.

No, no, no, good gods no. Take your furry nonsense elsewhere.

You guys did realize I was just kidding, right? :P

I know how LK feels about 'Cat Girls', and I just couldn't resist.

Besides, they'd never get along with the WereCrocodiles, Dingopeople (Osse Gnolls), and OwlDropbears. :D

Not to mention the Dire Formian-Eaters.
I dunno... it's such a HUGE area... larger than Faerun, larger than Kara-Tur. I think the idea of Spirit Shamans is interesting, but the continent needs something more than just that.

Also, 3E or 4E?
You guys did realize I was jsust kidding, right? :P

Oh, we know. We still feel like plucking out our eyes and washing our brains with bleach afterwards. Worse, female kangas are always motherly in the animal cartoons. I'm doubly horrified.

'Sides, kangaroos a better at kicking. They can disembowel.

I dunno... it's such a HUGE area... larger than Faerun, larger than Kara-Tur. I think the idea of Spirit Shamans is interesting, but the continent needs something more than just that.

Also, 3E or 4E?

By its very nature, Osse should be huge but empty, just like its source. :D

For my ideas, I was thinking of starting with the native Ossean culture and tribes, then throwing in colonists from across the world: Faerun, Kara-Tur, Zakhara. Then some much better race-relations in a world that doesn't have to suffer racism, religious conflict, eugenics, widespread disease, environmental damage, etc. True multiculturalism.

It'd be a retcon to have so many nations colonizing land half a world away, but it might account for the drop in population figures, either entering 3e or entering 4e. With vague enough flavour, no stats and a few allowances, Osse could feasibly exist in either era, just change the dates,

I'm hard-pressed to think of a source of conflict in Osse though, but this is fitting. Competition and co-operation should be the order of the day (vast distances and harsh environment really prevent warfare). Conflict would be more philosophical: nature vs cities, tribalism vs civilization, stone age primitiveness and wisdom vs modern notions and arrogance. Druids/rangers would help keep the balance and the peace.

The colonies become city-states (in classic FR fashion), separated from their home nations and growing independent. The idea of an alliance appeals (ie Federation) but they can never agree on anything, competing, bickering and jostling for power instead. Enter the PCs, as intrepid explorers, scouts, protectors and mediators.

-If you look at the map, it is smaller than both Faerûn (by a little) and Kara-Tur (by a bit more).
The way I was picturing it (when I do the geography) was a band about a hundred miles wide - thinner in some places, thicker in others - of halfway-decent land around the coasts... and then a blasted wasteland plateau taking up the entire center. Literally, the 'Osse Backlands'.

I picture the thing being like a massive version of the Stonelands, and DMs can go with whatever they want from there (Fallen, ancient Empires, weird flora and fauna a'la Athas, perhaps a valley or two were a 'lost civilization' has managed to survive, etc, ec...)

Edit: For some reason, I'm thinking a Xendrik spin (Giants long-gone), but without the Jungle (otherwise we could just take Xendrik and drop it right in!)
-How I envision it:

In the waters right off of it's Western and North Western coasts, a large kingdom of Sahuagin, a la your "Empire of the Tides", as a rough-but-not-exact-and-interesting analogue for the Great Barrier Reef. Their presence also explains the relative lack of back-and-forth interaction between Osse and other continents.

Eastern and North Eastern Osse is a tropical climate, with a lot of rain, humidity, and wetness. This causes swamps and jungles.

Central Osse is more-or-less scrubland/grassland/prairie, with enough rainfall to not be considered a desert.

Southwest Osse is a real desert, created artificially, as opposed to naturally (reasons to be determined).

Southern Osse is swampy and humid, with a tropical climate.

Western Osse is somewhat mountainous, preventing westward exploration of the seas.

That island off of Southwest Osse ("Tasmania") is a tropical climate.
Considering how close it is to Kara-Tur, I would say that colonies not only make sense, it would be illogical to NOT have them (considering that two KT nations have Spelljamming).

Celestial Sea:
-Which is why I said relative lack, not absolute lack. Relative lack implying that there is back-and-forth interaction, but it is on a smaller scale than it could be, as opposed to absolutely no back-and-forth interaction. I put that in because, as we know things thus far, Osse has had nearly no impact on Faerûn, Kara-Tur, Zakhara, and other continents (explained in the metacontext because it was recently created and added in, as opposed to in the setting "always being there"), but I wanted to leave room for something I remember you(?) saying about connecting it and Kara-Tur.
A couple of people (myself included) were tossing around the idea of KT colonies in Katashaka, Anchorome, and Maztica (obviously a LONG while back).

I never discussed colonies on Osse, but another poster did.

If Osse has it's own civilization (as in NOT primitive), then colonies there should not exist, AT ALL. That would only work if it had an aboriginal culture similar to Australia's, Africa, or the Americas. Also, Shou (an Tu) have only 'discovered' Kozakura in the past couple of centuuries, which makes very little sense, considering they've always known about Wa (and the two are right next to each other!)

You'll note the distance between the two continents is nearly the same as it is between Faerûn and Maztica. Don't know if that matters at all, but it is a decent reference as to how far official FR cultures have explored beyond their continent (something seeming to happen only in recent times for some bizarre reason). I think Sea-travel is a much riskier business on a Fantasy world filled with monsters and intelligent water-Kingdoms.

I also found THIS, which I wish I had found before I did my CKC article, because I would have used Ed's islands instead of making-up my own. Note in that that there seems to have been MUCH more cross-ocean sailing in Ed's home campaign then the official one ever let on - there were CITIES founded by Faerûnians just off the coast of Anchorme (or rather - that WAS Anchorome).
I also found THIS, which I wish I had found before I did my CKC article, because I would have used Ed's islands instead of making-up my own. Note in that that there seems to have been MUCH more cross-ocean sailing in Ed's home campaign then the official one ever let on - there were CITIES founded by Faerûnians just off the coast of Anchorme (or rather - that WAS Anchorome).

Yes, I've always found that lore fascinating, which is why I referenced those uncharted islands in my Age of Sail CKC IX article p.13
Brian R. James Freelance Game Designer
-Being as that I have begun rereading Lady of Poison, I gathered a bunch of minor relevant facts:

• 'Tattooed Soldiers'
  • Strange tattoos
  • Thick soled leather shoes
  • Breech clouts
  • Gunggari Ulmarra
  • Disdainful of clothing
  • Dizheri: Long, stout wooden tube; colorful, warclub and walkingstick
  • Osse is "beyond the girdle of the world"
  • Person from Osse = Oslander
  • Ancestor worship/veneration
LOL

Maybe they had 'Spellscars' before the rest of the Realms got 'em. :P

Although it's obviously derived from aboriginal culture, there are a few ways for us to spruce it up and differentiate it. I was thinking make more of a matriarchal society, similar in many ways to the Drow (priestesses in charge), but not evil like the Drow.

The Dream Time is facinating, so I wouldn't want to lose that - perhaps make it a type of spirit Shamen that contacts ancestor spirits by traveling through the Plane of Dreams into the Nightmare Realms (which naturally borders both the Dream Time and the Shadowfel).

Perhaps a type of Druidism coupled with Dance/Chant/trance Magic for Casters (a type of primitive Hedge-Wizard). I'm thinking the MU would have to 'seek-out' his spells in a Dream, similar to the way a Sha'ir has to send his Gen to fetch spells for him.

Boomerangs... gotta have Boomerangs.... :D
-Some more random tidbits from the novel:

• Alcheringa: A philosophy.
  • Tattoos speak of strength, skill, and dedication to Alcheringa.
  • Tattoos are totems, each one telling of an ancestral hero
  • Tattoos can be "called on" when in need.
  • Tunbarum: A spirit of music, who plays the dizheri.
In addition to what LK's listed in his first post, Class Chronicles offers this snippet:
"Other nature spirit-channeling totemists exist among the Osse who come from lands to the South of Faerûn."

Southwest Osse is a real desert, created artificially, as opposed to naturally (reasons to be determined).

Another artificial desert? :P No, I want real natural desert, it would make a pleasant change. :D

Dizheri? Is that like a didgeridoo?

Alcheringa? One of the the names for the Dreamtime is Altjeringa. So Bruce Cordell hasn't changed much. At all. The curse of FR's real-world analogues continues.

Magical tattoos? I guess this is where Cordell tried out Spellscars. Tattoos are a bit more original, though surprisingly tame when compared to Aboriginal sand-scarrings. And some tribes used to knock out a tooth or chop off a finger-joint as a coming-of-age ritual to show toughness.

Although it's obviously derived from aboriginal culture, there are a few ways for us to spruce it up and differentiate it. I was thinking make more of a matriarchal society, similar in many ways to the Drow (priestesses in charge), but not evil like the Drow.

Actually, like the Aboriginals, there could easily be a hundred Oslander tribes (we don't need quite that many). Each of them would have very different cultures, practices and beliefs, with only a basic way of life, broad themes and some specifics in common, like the Dreaming/Dream-time, the Rainbow (World?) Serpent and some others.

There'd be matriarchies, patriarchies, and mixed versions (more common, this is FR). Gender-based cultural practices come down to "men's business" and "women's business": initiation, training, education, sacred sites.
In addition to what LK's listed in his first post, Class Chronicles offers this snippet:
"Other nature spirit-channeling totemists exist among the Osse who come from lands to the South of Faerûn."

Which strangely makes it sound like one of the enormous islands to the south, rather then the large continent on the other side of the planet.

Another artificial desert? :P No, I want real natural desert, it would make a pleasant change.

Agreed - I was actually disappointed when I learned the Quoya was also caused my magic (indirectly, but still...)

Alcheringa? One of the the names for the Dreamtime is Altjeringa. So Bruce Cordell hasn't changed much. At all. The curse of FR's real-world analogues continues.

Trying not to say anything ban-worthy, but... did you really expect more at this point?

Magical tattoos? I guess this is where Cordell tried out Spellscars. Tattoos are a bit more original, though surprisingly tame when compared to Aboriginal sand-scarrings.

If the inks used are magical in nature (and they should be), they could cause a combination of scarring and tatooing - the Inks could be somewhat caustic and cause immense pain and burning. That would cover the 'right of passage' pain/test, and make the whole thing a bit more grusesome (I'm picturing them having to pin-down young men as the tattoos 'take', with a lot of moaning and thrashing about - the trick is not to scream ;) )

And some tribes used to knock out a tooth or chop off a finger-joint as a coming-of-age ritual to show toughness.

Now thats just down-right primitive... and makes them look like hicks. :P

Actually, like the Aboriginals, there could easily be a hundred Oslander tribes (we don't need quite that many). Each of them would have very different cultures, practices and beliefs, with only a basic way of life, broad themes and some specifics in common, like the Dreaming/Dream-time, the Rainbow (World?) Serpent and some others.

Certainly wouldn't want to create hundreds of tribes. I'd say just one 'typical' tribal arrangement that most follow, and then perhaps 3-4 'atypical' ones. I'd like to keep an over-alll Matriarchal spin, but we could vary it by overtness. Say, in some tribes the decisions are actyally made by the 'Woman's Council', and in others, the women influence their husbands, thereby indirectly influencing decsions made by the Men's council. Either way, I like that the woman would be in charge of the religous aspects (and be the 'true power'), because this differentiates it quite a bit from many RW primitive cultures (Shamen are always male... and we should try to avoid that).

Shawomen? :D

Of course, you would still have men with power, but they'd follow a different path, and be 'loners' mostly (similar to the Witch Doctors - the name escapes me ATM - of Katra-Tur). Thats where I get the Druyidic angle - they may form groups, but they'd mostly live in the wilderness seperate from the tribe (also similar to witch's covens... perhaps have them be some sort of Duid/Warlock hybrid).

As for the Rainbpw Serpent - we already have Jazirian, who works fine (we could just say he functins under an alias here, or just use Jazirian, since it's not that well-known anyway). I believe he was killed by one of FR's serpent Gods at some point (ToT?), but I can't find that bit in SK.

There'd be matriarchies, patriarchies, and mixed versions (more common, this is FR). Gender-based cultural practices come down to "men's business" and "women's business": initiation, training, education, sacred sites.

Basically what I said above - establish the 'norm' for most tribes, describing one of the more powerful, typical tribes, and then describe a few variant ones (including at least one cannibalistic group that eat the brains of their enemies - gotta have 'laughing sickness' - it's just too weird and creepy to miss out on).
Another artificial desert? :P No, I want real natural desert, it would make a pleasant change. :D

I agree, because I like deserts.:D

Magical tattoos? I guess this is where Cordell tried out Spellscars.

To be fair, didn't the Thayans have magical tattoos long before this novel was published? I'm pretty sure Cordell didn't create those.

PS: The real Tasmania is temperate rather than tropical.
Why no colonies? Either it's not worth colonising, or something stops them. Huge wild/dead magic area? Overdone.

In the waters right off of it's Western and North Western coasts, a large kingdom of Sahuagin, a la your "Empire of the Tides", as a rough-but-not-exact-and-interesting analogue for the Great Barrier Reef. Their presence also explains the relative lack of back-and-forth interaction between Osse and other continents.

A large kingdom of very advanced Sahuagin, strong enough to dissuade even the powerful empires except for the odd high-value mining outpost that's supplied by Spelljammer? Sahuagin that can sink ships with undersea rams propelled by some suitable mount.

Who are the bad guys? Advanced lizard men?

LK's description is too pleasant. Make it meaner.

We don't want to replicate Zakhara's interior - big desert, lots of ruins. I'm thinking environmental extremes - very hot and wet, very dry, very high and cold. Huge foetid tidal swamplands.

Need a pre-history - maybe one of the creator races hung around Osse longer than elsewhere? Maybe they're still there? Maybe they don't like colonisers? Maybe they have glittering ?
"cities" on a continent-wide scale - a couple of towers here and there that look like independent outposts to other races but they think of as a built-up area. The whole continent is a city as far as they're concerned, and they treat it as such - the human and humanoid tribes live below a technology and concentration of population threshold that they even notice, but any substantial foreign colony will attract their notice and be wiped out.
Trying not to say anything ban-worthy, but... did you really expect more at this point?

Sigh. Guess not. So, I'd assume Cordell wasn't responsible for getting rid of Maztica, Chessenta, Unther, Mulhorand, and the various Arabic and Indian lands - but I can't make the assumption that he's free of hypocrisy.

If the inks used are magical in nature (and they should be), they could cause a combination of scarring and tatooing - the Inks could be somewhat caustic and cause immense pain and burning. That would cover the 'right of passage' pain/test, and make the whole thing a bit more grusesome (I'm picturing them having to pin-down young men as the tattoos 'take', with a lot of moaning and thrashing about - the trick is not to scream)

Hmm. The tattoos remind me more of Maori and Polynesian customs - huge and elaborate tattooed designs, full of meaning, and hammered in with a bone needle over the course of a day. Just enduring it is the coming-of-age ritual (because running away in the middle leaves you with a half-a-tattoo that everyone can see and laugh at. :D).

With the way tattoos used to be done, you really don't need to make them more painful.

Certainly wouldn't want to create hundreds of tribes. I'd say just one 'typical' tribal arrangement that most follow, and then perhaps 3-4 'atypical' ones. I'd like to keep an over-alll Matriarchal spin, but we could vary it by overtness. Say, in some tribes the decisions are actyally made by the 'Woman's Council', and in others, the women influence their husbands, thereby indirectly influencing decsions made by the Men's council. Either way, I like that the woman would be in charge of the religous aspects (and be the 'true power'), because this differentiates it quite a bit from many RW primitive cultures (Shamen are always male... and we should try to avoid that).

Shawomen? :D

Damn, Markus. It's shaman, from the Manchu word saman. Plural is shamans. Gender is irrelevant to the word. Many cultures have male and/or female shamans.

Both exist in Aboriginal culture. Generally they're called "clever men" and "clever women".

Why no colonies? Either it's not worth colonising, or something stops them.

Yeah, I think having colonies would add some variety to the setting, so it's not just all wilderness and tribes. Fantasy needs cities. Plus, it would mirror Australia and its themes better.

I'm rather against Osse having lost cities and fallen empires. Australia is a dead land, and could never support by itself an agricultural revolution to enable the aboriginals to settle (some ruined villages have been found). 40,000 years of history*, and not much happened. Making Osse into a fresh, young civilization that's not built on the ruins of the past would be a new thing for FR. (Then again, oral history and aboriginal habits go back thousands of years - the Oslanders would of course disagree.)

Magic changes this, of course. Maybe a few lost Oslander cities, with one surviving for something completely different.

* Given Abeir-Toril's highly compressed history, this would actually have to be reduced to match.

On the other hand, a lost prehuman civilization would fulfill the requirements of ruins to explore. I'm reminded of a HP Lovecraft that was set in my state; I was so pleased.

LK's description is too pleasant. Make it meaner.

We don't want to replicate Zakhara's interior - big desert, lots of ruins. I'm thinking environmental extremes - very hot and wet, very dry, very high and cold. Huge foetid tidal swamplands.

Yes. Much of my thinking was towards making many of the threats and dangers in Osse be environment: deserts, dangerous animals. Large scale threats would be bushfires and floods and windstorms - personified by elementals perhaps.

Hey! I thought we weren't going to work on this! :D
No colonies because then you are assuming that no-one already lives there, or the culture is just so primitive that it can be ignored (and we already have/had that with Maztica, Anchorome, and possibly Katashaka).

When colonies were discussed in the K-T thread, I had mentioned the possibility that the east-coast have at least one 'civilized' kingdom (hopefully more), but that the west coast was not settled... which leads one to wonder why the easterners have not bothered with it (some sort of taboo, perhaps?). It could just be as simple as the place beiung very inhospitable (on that side), which is exactly how I was picturing it (and it didn't stop the Shou from attempting a colony/port there... which mysteriously disappeared).

For Kingdoms on the east side, I'm not sure what kind of cultures would be there, if we are using one based on aboriginies for the main part of the continent.

Non-human may be the way to go, so its not just like the rest of Faerûn (or Retrurned Abeir, for that matter). We have more then enough 'classic medieval' style kingdoms to do that again. Perhaps a powerful empire, made-up of a half-dozen seperate (and rebellious) Kingdoms?

Just trying to imagine something completely different for this region - at least different then anything already on Toril. Perhaps even a Romanesque Empire still in the Bronze-Age? That could work....
Hey! I thought we weren't going to work on this!

We're not. We're just talking about what we might say if we were going to work on it.
No colonies because then you are assuming that no-one already lives there, or the culture is just so primitive that it can be ignored (and we already have/had that with maztica, Anchorome, and possibly Katashaka).

When colonies were discussed in the K-T thread, I had mentioned the possibility that the east-coast have at least one 'civilized' kingdom (hopefully more), but that the west coast was not settled... which leads one to wonder why the easterners have not bothered with it (some sort of taboo, perhaps?). It could just be as simple as the place beiung very inhospitable (on that side), which is exactly how I was picturing it (and it didn't stop the Shou from attempting a colony/port there... which mysteriously disappeared).

For Kingdoms on the east side, I'm not sure what kind of cultures would be there, if we are using one based on aboriginies for the main part of the continent.

Non-human may be the way to go, so its not just like the rest of Faerûn (or Abeir, for that matter). We have more then enough 'classic medieva;' style kingdoms to do that once again. Perhaps a powerful empire, made-up of a half-dozen seperate (and rebellious) Kingdoms?

Just trying to imagine something completely different for this region - at least different then anything already on Toril. Perhaps even a Romanesque Empire still in the Bronze-Age? That could work....

if you want to go primitive, i've been thinking of developing a region that is cursed so that "no stone may lay atop another for a day and a night" by a powerful elemental.

what i mean by this is that it is impossible to build anything by human hands that will last a day due to a powerful curse. essentially, civilization is made impossible by powerful magic. while we don't have to apply all of this to Osse, it makes it such that anything beyond hunter-gatherers is impossible.

the region/continent then would be made of monsters, extremely primitive tribes, etc..

just a thought.

-I don't know how a natural desert would be side-by-side with rainforest, swamp, and prairies, so...
They're called 'mountains'. :P

We're not. We're just talking about what we might say if we were going to work on it.

LOL :D

Right - we are just 'musing' about how some of us have imagined it. This is just a discussion, not a project.

@Yakman - Thats a pretty cool idea for the 'cursed land' - definately useable for a large portion of it. We could also have Wild Magic/Dead Magic zones as well.

Dinosaurs are cool, but we already have them in several areas. If anything, I would go full-blown 'fantastic' for the flora and fauna for this region. Something closer to Athas, with all its weird critters and plants (and naturally, many egg-laying mammals).

Hmmmm... a small Dragon with a pouch?

Koala Bugbears? :D

Then again, how scarey would those be?

Definately some Thyclacines (Tasmanian Tigers) - nothing like cool extinct species for out little Toril. Maybe even go pleiocene rather then jurassic. Weird animals are not as derivitive as dino's.
-I don't know how a natural desert would be side-by-side with rainforest, swamp, and prairies, so...

The real Australia has all of those things, naturally.
They're called 'mountains'. :P

The real Australia has all of those things, naturally.

-That's what I was thinking while doing some drawing while riding the train. I wasn't sure if that was how things actually worked, though. The eastern coasts are jungle, swampy, hot and humid. They are bordered on their western side by tall, tall mountains. Those mountains disrupt the wind and rain and all of that, causing prairies and desert on the mountains' western side.
@Yakman - Thats a pretty cool ifdea for the 'cursed land' - definately useable for a large portion of it. We could also have Wild Magic/Dead Magic zones as well.

Dinosaurs are cool, but we already have them in several areas. If anything, I would go full-blown 'fantastic' for the flora and fauna for this region. Something closer to Athas, with all its weird critters and plants (and naturally, many egg-laying mammals).

Why not take Athas and put it into an FR context? Standard magic just plain won't work here... or it comes in two sorts: the spirit shamans and their far darker brethren: the DEFILERS.

Defilers never got their fair due. Not wanting to mince words, I'll come out and say it: DEFILERS ARE FRIGGING SWEET.

What does this do? Creates a different magical context for the continent, serves as a means to keep out the Shou and the Zakharans, and also provides for a wealth of role-playing possibilities.
Sign In to post comments