Archfey of the Realms

65 posts / 0 new
Last post
There seems to be a whole slew of new powerful entities, and the archfey are my personal new faves. I love the idea of the Feywild, and can't wait to have the PCs running around that realm and Toril. This is another of the lovely lists I can't seem to stop making. I'm just tossing everyone I can think of in here together, and then hash it all out later.

Archfey of the Feywild
Aurilandur the Frost Sprite Queen DR 376
Baba Yaga, ancient hag MoP
Cat Lord MoP
Deep Sashelas DR 376
Elias Alastai MoP
Green Lord Oran MoP
Hyrsam, satyr prince MoP
Koliada the Winter Witch DU 159
Lurue the Unicorn Queen DR 376
Maiden of the Moon MoP
Monkey King MoP
Morissa, the Lady of Swords AP
Neifon, the Lord of Bats AP, PoS
Prince of Frost DR 374, MoP
Prince of Hearts MoP
Relkath of the Infinite Branches DR 376
Sarula Iliene the Nixie Queen DR 352, 376
Scamander, river lord MoP
Siobhan Alastai MoP
Sky Shaper DU 165
Tiandra, the Summer Queen MoP
Verenestra the Oak Princess DR 376
Witch of Fates MoP
Zebechial, the Lord of Lightning AP

3e Court of Stars
Morwel, Queen of Stars
Gwynharwyf, the Whirling Fury
Faerinaal, Morwel's current consort
Ascodel, former consort of Morwel
Vaeros (deceased)

Possible Archfey
Of the Yuirwood:
Elikarashae
Zandilar the Dancer
Simbul

Of Rashemen:
Red Tree

Of the Moonshaes:
Grond Peaksmasher (originally a demigod of firbolgs)

Of the Lythari
Hro'nyewachu

Other Lords
Emmantiensen, treants (former deity)
Skerrit, the Forester king of centaurs (former deity)
Eadro, king of the merfolk (former deity)
Caoimhin, killmoulis
Tapann the Undying, korred prince (DR 119)
Fionnghuala, swanmane queen
Nathair Sgiathach, faerie dragon
Squelaiche, leprechaun lord
Eachthighern, prince consort to Lurue
Karontor, fomorian (former deity)
Rellavar Danuvien the Frost Sprite King (former deity see Dragon 236)
Tyssaklera queen of faerie dragons
Yathaghera, the Winged Queen of Evermeet
Queen of Thorns
Surminare, Queen of the Selkie
Persana, King of the Tritons (if tritons are fey and not elemental creatures)
Herne, Lord of the Wild Hunt (possibly deceased)

This is all just speculation based on various novels, sourcebooks, and previous editions. Let me know what you guys think, and maybe we can expand the list!

AP - Arcane Power
DR - Dragon Magazine
DU - Dungeon Magazine
MoP - Manual of the Planes
PoS - Plague of Spells, by Bruce R Cordell
An article by Ed Greenwood in Dragon #119 described Tapann the Undying, the Father of the Dance, god of korreds. Tapann has subsequently been mentioned in Faiths and Pantheons as the father of Shiallia.

Both probably count as archfey.

Tapann should replace Damh within the Realms (or they're the same god).

I'd ignore the 3e Court of Stars, since they weren't connected with fey in any way. They're a group of celestials, and in 4e terms they'd probably be angels.
An article by Ed Greenwood in Dragon #119 described Tapann the Undying, the Father of the Dance, god of korreds. Tapann has subsequently been mentioned in Faiths and Pantheons as the father of Shiallia.

Both probably count as archfey.

Tapann should replace Damh within the Realms (or they're the same god).

Ah ok, I'll put a note up in the OP about that then. Might as well list 'em both as interchangeable, although it would seem that Tapann is the Realmsified version of Damh. Shiallia is an exarch of Mielekki, not an archfey (according to canon anywho).

I'd ignore the 3e Court of Stars, since they weren't connected with fey in any way. They're a group of celestials, and in 4e terms they'd probably be angels.

It makes more sense that the Court of Stars eladrin lords would be fey rather than angels, especially since the other 3e eladrins have slowly become fey of one sort or another under the new 4e eladrin (i.e. the bralani). No firres or coures yet, but I hold out hope!
You could possibly also add Karontor, god of fomorians.
You could possibly also add Karontor, god of fomorians.

Done and done.
Now, see, so far the majority of the archfey that they have given us have been ascended eladrin of one sort or another, with a handful of others suggested. I know they've divvied up the fey Courts in an atypical manner (rather than Seelie vs Unseelie) which I actually sort of enjoy, but what about the darker fey creatures, like the fomorians, cyclopses, and quicklings? I would imagine that they'd have to form their own separate court from the ones they've already given us. I suppose that you could always toss them into the Gloaming Court, but I guess the idea of a specific assemblage for the more malign archfey makes more sense to me.
Possible Archfey
Of the Yuirwood:
Elikarashae
Zandilar the Dancer
Magnar the Bear
Relkath of the Infinite Branches
Simbul

Zandilar the dancer, isnt she dead?
Magnar the Bear I think had a line in the Stardeep stating he was sleeping.. or was it Relkath.

the Simbul was a humanoid witch, and she is dead...
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Zandilar the dancer, isnt she dead?
Magnar the Bear I think had a line in the Stardeep stating he was sleeping.. or was it Relkath.

Technically, if memory serves, Zandilar was absorbed by Sharess, but I see no reason why she couldn't have been an archfey, as opposed to an actual goddess. Magnar the Bear doesn't have tons of info that I can find on him. Relkath was indeed slumberous, but also is mentioned in some sources as an aspect of Rillifane Rallathil.

the Simbul was a humanoid witch, and she is dead...

The Witch Queen herself is actually not dead, she's residing in Shadowdale with her lil ole lovemuffin Elminster.

However, in the novel The Simbul's Gift, the Witch Queen ventures into the Yuirwood and, amongst other things, the Simbul is revealed to have been a spirit/goddess/archfey of the Yuirwood who was a being of decisiveness, the blade's edge moment when you choose one thing or another, which is one of the reason the Witch Queen received her title of the Simbul, given to her by the Queen of Aglarond, Ilione, whom she served before ascending the throne herself.
Technically, if memory serves, Zandilar was absorbed by Sharess, but I see no reason why she couldn't have been an archfey, as opposed to an actual goddess. Magnar the Bear doesn't have tons of info that I can find on him. Relkath was indeed slumberous, but also is mentioned in some sources as an aspect of Rillifane Rallathil.

The Simbul herself is actually not dead, she's residing in Shadowdale with her lil ole lovemuffin Elminster.

f.

wrong Simbul there.

the 7 sisters Simbul is not the Simbul you are thinking of
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
wrong Simbul there.

the 7 sisters Simbul is not the Simbul you are thinking of

Hmm, no, it's actually exactly the one I'm thinking of. It's mentioned in the FRCS that the Witch Queen was thought to have died during the Year of Seven Sisters (1425 DR) when Velsharoon died, but it is stated immediately thereafter that the Witch Queen is currently residing in the Dalelands.

FRCS p.88
Lurue and Nobanion are also former dieties. They were both lesser dieties.
Lurue and Nobanion are also former dieties. They were both lesser dieties.

D'oh! Bad bad me. Fixed now in the OP.
It makes more sense that the Court of Stars eladrin lords would be fey rather than angels, especially since the other 3e eladrins have slowly become fey of one sort or another under the new 4e eladrin (i.e. the bralani). No firres or coures yet, but I hold out hope!

Rip is right. The Summer Queen and her gang came in instead of Morwel and her consorts. While tulani and other former eladrin types are going to be fey, I highly doubt that we'll see Morwel in any form in 4e.
Someone saved a thread with my old signature by accident? Please PM me!
As I plan to, some day, play an Eladrin Bladesinger that becomes an Archfey of storms or some such (maybe working his way to being an Exarch of CL, I also hope they pump out more PP's and info for 4e FR fey.
Suck it up and drive on.
Rip is right. The Summer Queen and her gang came in instead of Morwel and her consorts. While tulani and other former eladrin types are going to be fey, I highly doubt that we'll see Morwel in any form in 4e.

That's all well and good, but they're included in the list for completeness' sake. This list is supposed to give options and invite speculation (and yes, maybe even stats, if I can get around to it!) about who the various archfey are. Not all of the archfey listed in the Manual of the Planes are necessarily going to be FR canon. Rich Baker mentioned in one of his various thread responses that the Feywild in the Manual of the Planes, isn't necessarily the Feywild of Faerun.

But, I hear where you're coming from, I'm just leavin 'em up there just in case.
Hmm, no, it's actually exactly the one I'm thinking of. It's mentioned in the FRCS that she was thought to have died during the Year of Seven Sisters (1425 DR) when Velsharoon died, but it is stated immediately thereafter that she is currently residing in the Dalelands.

This Simbul is one of the Chosen.
SFDragon was referring to the Simbul of your list (who he claims was a humanoid witch :confused who was one of the totems revered by the earliest human and green elven barbarian tribes of Aglarond, and a (possibly fey) member of the Yuir dietes. The feisty Simbul, the Chosen who was named Alassra Silverhand, later took on the name of the ancient archfey. I still don't understand why though...

The Simbul (the archfey) might have had experience with Far Realm entities as her followers were adept abberation hunters. She also had some affinity to time as Labelas Enoreth is rumored to have absorbed her.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dungeoncraft_20080430_2.jpg)
The cerulean sign might be one of the wards created by the Simbul.
I'm going to refer to the Simbul (as in the former Queen of Aglarond) as the Witch Queen while posting here, just to avoid confusion, as this has obviously seemed to cause. Anywhere where I've posted 'the Simbul' specifically will refer to the deity/spirit/archfey of the Yuirwood who the Witch Queen of Aglarond was named after.

My posts edited to reflect this.
I would add Surminare, goddess of the Selkie.

Maybe Persana if tritons happen to be considered fey in 4th edition.
What?

No Titania, Oberon, and the Queen of Air and Darkness?

There was also a giant rabbit with a pocketwatch (I kid you not) - I'll have to check through Tall Tales of the Wee Folk for more.

Another possibility is Herne, Lord of the Wild Hunt (who had a presence in Realmspace at some point, since a forest is named after him, but he was killed by Malar).
Tiandra seems to be Titania and Morwel, Green Lord Oran is Oberon, and is also a bit like Herne

Queen of Air and Darkness is Auril

other possible archfey

Rellavar Danuvien ''The Frost Sprite King"

Sarula Iliene, the nixie queen

Tyssaklera, the queen of all the faerie dragons in Faerun

Bear, Eagle, Raven, and Wolf, beast-totems

Yathaghera, the Winged Queen of Evermeet, pegasi and unicorns

Queen of Thorns

Lashrael and Felarathael, more likely exarchs of Corellon

etc. maybe Eldath and Trishina, and all 3e elf, gnome or goblin gods that aren't mentioned as exarchs in FRCG
**** 4e.
Tiandra seems to be Titania and Morwel, Green Lord Oran is Oberon, and is also a bit like Herne

Queen of Air and Darkness is Auril

other possible archfey

Rellavar Danuvien ''The Frost Sprite King"

Sarula Iliene, the nixie queen

Tyssaklera, the queen of all the faerie dragons in Faerun

Bear, Eagle, Raven, and Wolf, beast-totems

Yathaghera, the Winged Queen of Evermeet, pegasi and unicorns

Queen of Thorns

Lashrael and Felarathael, more likely exarchs of Corellon

etc. maybe Eldath and Trishina, and all 3e elf, gnome or goblin gods that aren't mentioned as exarchs in FRCG

I added some of those mentioned to the lists. I avoided the beast-totems for now, since it might seem that'd be more up the primal spirits alley then the fey IMO. At least in terms of tribal beast-totems.

I didn't put Lashrael or Felarathael in either, for the reason that they always struck me more as their own divinities.

Where is Tyssaklera mentioned? I swear I've read that name somewhere....*pores over the various sourcebooks scattered around*

Hmmmm...
Ascodel and Vaeros are the predecessors of Fearinal. I'd say Morwels second in command rulers of the old eladrin (the arborean outsiders of previous editions) make for good archfey.

So the lord of the Tulani, Ghaelle, Firre clan would make good end game tier fey strikers. Courre, Noviere, Shiere, Shiradi and Bralani lords are low end epic.

In fact my take on Archfey makes it so that monsters native of the Feywild, like Displacer Beasts, Goblins, Gnomes (rawr), Satyrs and so on, each have a unique patron Archfey.

I agree that totems make good primal spirits. In true animistic views each part of the world has an epic spirit, so animal, land and sky spirits are abound.
Tyssaklera is in Elves of Evermeet
**** 4e.
Tyssaklera is in Elves of Evermeet

Really? I just finished re-reading that book a few days ago... do you know where it is in there?
Suck it up and drive on.
Really? I just finished re-reading that book a few days ago... do you know where it is in there?

Just to be clear this is in the old 2nd-Edition sourcebook Elves of Evermeet, not the Evermeet novel by Elaine. Tyssaklera is referenced on page. 91 under the heading 'Faerie Dragons'.
Brian R. James Freelance Game Designer
Just to be clear this is in the old 2nd-Edition sourcebook Elves of Evermeet, not the Evermeet novel by Elaine. Tyssaklera is referenced on page. 91 under the heading 'Faerie Dragons'.

Ahhh, thank you for clearing that up.
Suck it up and drive on.
Lalibela is "demigoddess of the nixies", though she appears to be more like a nymph (possibly an older edition depiction of nixies?). She appears in The Mines Of Bloodstone, where she does the "lady of the lake" scene with King Garath of Damara, and gives him the sword Crusader.
There was also a giant rabbit with a pocketwatch (I kid you not) - I'll have to check through Tall Tales of the Wee Folk for more.

Do you mean like a pooka? There was a Twilight Zone episode that had Harvey the six foot tall rabbit. I think he was supposed to be a shapeshifter or something.
Yeah, Pooka. :D
There was also a few others in there, including a centaur named Chiron, but thats a bit too Greek-derivitive for my tastes. Maybe I'll go through that again later.

If Gnomes are now fey, shouldn't some of their gods be Archfey?

Also, Hro'nyewachu from Iket Sotha qualifies - 'she' is ANCIENT being that leaves beneath a hill in the Endless wastes, and is venerated by the Lythari.

Then again, I suppose she could just as easily be a primal spirit (although I have no idea what the hell the difference is - sounds like the Gods/primordials thing all over again).
Ascodel and Vaeros are the predecessors of Fearinal. I'd say Morwels second in command rulers of the old eladrin (the arborean outsiders of previous editions) make for good archfey.

Yes, though I don't know who the first one was. Anyway, Ascodels story can be found in the Fiendish Codex I and Vaeros life essence was reborn in Gwynharwyf.
Someone saved a thread with my old signature by accident? Please PM me!
If Gnomes are now fey, shouldn't some of their gods be Archfey?

Maybe some of the lesser of the gnome deities will, instead, become archfey since they aren't all represented in the actual gnomish pantheon anymore.

Also, Hro'nyewachu from Iket Sotha qualifies - 'she' is ANCIENT being that leaves beneath a hill in the Endless wastes, and is venerated by the Lythari.

Then again, I suppose she could just as easily be a primal spirit (although I have no idea what the hell the difference is - sounds like the Gods/primordials thing all over again).

I definitely feel like Hro'nyewachu would be a good candidate for an archfey. I suppose you could make the argument to have her be a primal spirit, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I vote archfey.
Agreed on both points.

The feywild can get a nice chrome flavour by including tinker gnomes as mechanical wizzards. I think even modrons would make good fey. They could be more "organic" and work with tinker gnomes to build and rerig all sorts of bits and bolts of mechanical contraptions. Mechanus might actually be placed over Torils Feywild Lantan.
Updated the list to include some more of the possibilities.
What about Grandfather Tree? He's the arakhor (ancient treants) of the Tree Ghost tribe. I'd say he would probably be an archfey, seeing as how he's ooooooooold as all get out.

Whaddaya think?
Are Treants even considered fey?
Suck it up and drive on.
Can plants be Fey?

Some of the smaller pixie-types have flower-connections, but I think they would all be considered 'animal', not mineral or vegetable (which means no techno-Organic lifeforms either.) :P

Although if you wanted to go that route, I would rather see the Meks from the Mystara setting (Mystara has lot of Fey-connections and ceatures) - they look so much cooler then Modrons, IMHO.

Next we'll have Warfogred Fey....

Robo-Faeries?

Edit: Hey!!! I got a great name for the Tinker Gnome Fey - Tinkerbells!
I checked and found that treants are fey...
Suck it up and drive on.
I've been giving this alot of thought lately, and I'm now leaning on designating the Earthmother (of the Moonshaes) as a primal spirit instead of an archfey. What do you folks think?
Brian R. James Freelance Game Designer
Hmmmmm... not sure about that.

She seems more like a Fey to me, but then again, that would explain Malar's involvement with her...

I suppose that works - if Chauntea = Demeter, then the Earthmother could be more like Gaia (an actual spirit of the land itself, like an UUber-elemental, rather then a "Goddess of the earth").

Come to think of it... she works as a Primordial too..

I suppose she works as whatever you want, since she's always been an enigma - I say go for it.
I've been giving this alot of thought lately, and I'm now leaning on designating the Earthmother (of the Moonshaes) as a primal spirit instead of an archfey. What do you folks think?

thought Big bad Bhaal killed her off long ago.... and if I say Im fine with it, how much of the even biger and badder Retcon affect this??
Well, I believe the second Moonshae trilogy brought her back, and she either merged with Chautea, or always was Chauntea - I could never quite figure that part out.

So... to keep this on-topic, how about a joke? :D

An Archfey, an Archwizard, and an Archlich walk into a McDonalds.......
Sign In to post comments