LK's Reviews

62 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trolls in sheep's clothing have no redeeming qualities that are beneficial towards the health of the community. My Artwork/Photography/Literature
-Updated.

-I was thinking about rereading an older book I haven't read in a while. Anyone have any "requests"?

-And, you know what? Since I reference them so much, I should review some of the sourcebooks I am regularly thumbing through.
Trolls in sheep's clothing have no redeeming qualities that are beneficial towards the health of the community. My Artwork/Photography/Literature
death of the dragon and beyond the high road, windwalker, silverfall,tangled webs, daughter of the drow.
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Did you read Depths of Madness. I am reading that one right now and I think it is pretty good.
-Yes, that is a possible candidate to reread.
Review The Old Grey Box, the 3rd Edition FR Campaign Setting and Elfshadow. All three would be great to see!
Review The Old Grey Box, the 3rd Edition FR Campaign Setting and Elfshadow. All three would be great to see!

Great ideas!
-Good point, I do do sourcebook reviews...
-Updated.
-Updated. I've got a whole bunch of those reviews; I never really realized how many I had.

-Any other requests? I am going to handle the "Old Gray Box" next, and then another 3e sourcebook or two.
Which book/books is/are the "Old Gray Box"? Sounds familiar and I might have asked and not remembered.

Do you do adventures? Can you review the Spellgard adventure?
Which book/books is/are the "Old Gray Box"? Sounds familiar and I might have asked and not remembered.

Do you do adventures? Can you review the Spellgard adventure?

Spellguard is pretty much a "insert this for your own purpose" module and you have to really do a lot of extra work to make it coherent. It doesn't really have much of a plot or anything, just random stuff thrown into some catacombs and then with a zany ghost that answers a question in indecipherable babble (Or whatever the DM decides to get the next adventure moving really). Some of the encounters are pretty neat, but generally it's pretty bog standard stuff for 90% of it unless you really work at making it interesting.

So overall I don't think it's very good. Keep on the Shadowfell (H1) is a better module and with the FR Dragon article is much less work to get the story you want to tell moving along.

Edit: Also, to be increasingly aggravating, it also starts at level 2. It has several EL 3~4 encounters in places and so you either have to modify it or use something else to get your players up that first level. I've actually ran the module though and it's very "free form" as well compared to other modules. So players can almost do the module in reverse if they feel like it. This is actually a nice strength, because it makes the module feel less "linear" than others.

Personally, I didn't hear complaints when I finished running it, but I did a lot of work getting it to be consistent with the story I was telling and how it fit into the overall framework. Having a competing band of adventurers looking for the same thing there (Lady Saharel, whom I changed to something else) and some other whackjobs helped mix things up for my PCs.
-I don't have it, anyway, and don't have any interest in picking it up.
Well, I'm half way through The Pirate King. Good stuff so far, and the action has been pretty non-stop since.....I want to say Chapter 8? Anywho, I'd like to see your opinion on the new novel.
All Hail Lord Karsus! :D
Well, I'm half way through The Pirate King. Good stuff so far, and the action has been pretty non-stop since.....I want to say Chapter 8? Anywho, I'd like to see your opinion on the new novel.

-Don't have it.

All Hail Lord Karsus! :D

-Indeed.
Have you tried out Ed's new book "Dark Warrior Rising" ?

It's not the Realms...but it does have an underdark with dark elves...and more than a few disclaimers about not challenging Hasbro, and how he based it's lore on the germanic/nordic, and how many cultures have dark elves...you get the picture...;)

It's sequel is Dark Vengence...out last august in hardbound...but I'll wait for paperback.

I am interested if you are interested in it.

as always...All Hail Lord Karsus!!! :D
It's not the Realms...but it does have an underdark with dark elves...and more than a few disclaimers about not challenging Hasbro, and how he based it's lore on the germanic/nordic, and how many cultures have dark elves...you get the picture...;)

-Not Forgotten Realms. There's the rub. I don't particularly like Ed Greenwood's writing style and focus a whole lot in his Forgotten Realms novels, so there is a very slim chance that I pick out these books. Like R.A. Salvatore, with his other series', I am not one to pick up a book by an author I know, simply because it's an author that I know. For it to be relevant, it'd have to be about the Forgotten Realms, anyway.

as always...All Hail Lord Karsus!!! :D

-As always.
-Updated. Added Plague of Spells.
Both books dealing with the Shadowking. Lost library of Cormanthyr.Cleric Quintet. Spellfire Trilogy. Thanks
-I'm currently reading Paul Kemp's new book, but I can certainly redo Lost Library of Cormanthyr. I was meaning to reread that one, anyway.
-Updated. Added Underdark.
-Updated. Included Shadowrealm.
how about the Forgotten Realms comics from way back when
-Updated to include Unapproachable East.

how about the Forgotten Realms comics from way back when

-Don't have any of those either.
-Don't have any of those either.

get them
-Updated to include PGtF.

get them

-Meh, I don't think so.
-Updated to include LEoF.
-Updated to include Lords of Darkness and Monstrous Compendium: Monster of Faerûn.
-Updated to include Lady of Poison.
I'd be interested in your opinion of Maiden of Pain, and Silverfall.
I read both now (I have a lot more to go), and I loved the first - had mixed feelings about the second (differed which sister's turn was next).
I agree with you about Silverfall but I was never a "Seven Sisters" fan
-I don't have MoP, but I do have the Seven Sisters book (and distinctly remember not liking it), so I'll skim through it and share my thoughts.
-Updated to include Finder's Bane and Darkvision.
-Updated to include Horselords.
Silverfall was pretty crap I thought... not sure I'd bother reviewing it myself.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

-I looked at the cover, and then put it down. I don't have the testicular fortitude to reread it, with a mind for reviewing it. I've settled for the Kara-Tur books in the meantime, and the Maztica books, afterwards.
Were it not for that spellchain thingy that red wizard used against Alustriel being kinda neat, I think it would have ranked as the most useless of books I've yet read...

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Aww, I wouldn't mind a Silverfall review.
-Updated to reflect Dragonwall and Crusade.
-Updated to reflect Daughter of the Drow.
Sign In to post comments