City of the Spiderqueen - Total Recap!

356 posts / 0 new
Last post
As my Red Hand of Doom campaign draws to an end, I spend more and more time planning my next mega-module: The City of the Spiderqueen.

My players must yet again face an overwhelmingly powerful enemy in the Drow. As RHoD draws to a close the characters are around 10th level. Perfect for CotSQ. Quite some time ago, RHoD has taken us more than 18 months to complete, I decided that CotSQ would be the perfect sequel.

I will use this thread to describe our adventures as they progress. But first I will share with you some of my key decisions regarding this module. As my planning and plotting develops, I will continue posting information here.

For now, the only thing I have decided is that I will allow 4 PCs of 10th level to participate. Exactly according to the modules instructions. I will not count ECL for races, since that would exclude some key PCs. I will use Randal Morn as the character hook. This is the modules recommendation, and also fits me perfectly as some of the PCs have already befriended him in "The Vault of Larin Karr". I put VoLK in Battledale you see.

My players will have enough "downtime" to refit and resupply. Either in Brindol or perhaps Dagger Falls.

I am now a prisoner (holiday) on a small island just outisde the African West coast. I feel like Count Montecristo, or perhaps Napoleon, as the English locked him up far away from his home. I hope my visit here will give me inspiration for one of the toughest and most difficult challenges ever.
Welcome to the

CITY OF THE SPIDERQUEEN - TOTAL RECAP!

Caligula

PS Oh, and yes, Merry Christmas to all!!!
This should be a great recap if it's anything like your RHoD recap, Caligula.

That being said, I'm looking forward to the end of that campaign and to finding out if Tiamat has any last tricks up her sleeve for your PC's :P
I'm also curious to find out which PC's will venture into the Underdark for the CotSQ module.
I'm looking forward to reading more of your evil plottings here.

Greetings and happy holidays,
Bowen
Grats Caligula,

I myself finished RHoD a few months ago and have been leading up to CotSQ, hopefully starting just a bit after the new year. The 3.5 revisions are pretty heavy and I've been taking quite a few liberties introducing some more...interesting...builds into the provided. I found that re-reading War of the Spider Queen reminded me how god-awful nasty those creatures could be. Many of their tendencies, faults, and also unexpected strengths. *shrug* This will be my 2nd run through the module, the first having ended in a very messy TPK. Good luck, I'll be looking forward to it.
Spiderqueen was my first adventure as a DM...yes that was stupid but hey I learned loads and hope to return to it in the future sometime to perhaps even finish it!
I look forward to your Party's escapades!
It sure is a marvellous adventure and a must for serious D&D players out there!

As soon as I get back to Sweden on the 6th of January I will list which books I will be using to plan my CotSQ campaign. These books will set the cornerstone.

The players are also involved in discussions over which characters to use. Here are some of the latest speculations:

My cousin ("Anor" here at the boards) will chose between Nebrendil (Wizard/Incantatrix), Rendawyth (Paladin/?), and Ilzzt (Drow Fighter/Rogue/?).

Mats is not sure whether he has the time to participate, but if he does I'm sure Morbald the wizard is his first choice. Farkor is to buzy with his revolution in Brindol...

Stefan will be abroad for several months, but if he returns in time perhaps Wu-Fei the monk, or Elric the sorcerer would be preferred.

Michael will probably continue playing The Inquisitor (Cleric/?) from RHoD. Or perhaps revive Clifford the archer (Ranger/Cragtop Archer).

Marcus will probably continue playing his [b]
I'm getting ready to start this also. We just finished Expedition to the Demonweb Pits and I'm planning to follow that up with CotSQ. The trouble the players caused in the Demonweb is the reason for Lolth's silence.
I'm getting ready to start this also. We just finished Expedition to the Demonweb Pits and I'm planning to follow that up with CotSQ. The trouble the players caused in the Demonweb is the reason for Lolth's silence.

Darthricker, excellent connection and a great idea to Lolth's silence. Unfortunately I won't be able to use your same plot as we already used RHoD as the prequel. Otherwise I would have borrowed your idea.

I have good news for the CotSQ campaign. A 4th player has joined the group, and together with the other 3 we are now a full group. I also had 2 other players asking if they could join part-time only because of limited time. I have told them that they may play NPCs as the adventure goes along. That will be interesting to see how it fares.

I will soon list which books I use to plan and execute the campaign, so don't stray away too far! ;)
Hi all,

Just signing up for a next recap thread. I have no knowledge of this adventure, so I will look forward to it as the story unfolds.

Best of wishes to all for 2008. May it be a DanDific year!

Sunai
My plans for the "City of the Spiderqueen" campaign is on track. Beside the core rules, these are the books I use to plan it:

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (FRCS)
Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerun
Underdark
Drow of the Underdark
Races of Stone
Spell Compendium
Magic Item Compendium

I feel that any serious campaign using this great module need more than the usual core books to add flavor and really fulfill the potential. My players will use plenty of the books available to create powerful Player Charatcers.

I am also pleased to inform you that 5 players have now requested to be part of the "City of the Spiderqueen" campaign. 4 of them have played in my "Red Hand of Doom" campaign as well. They are experienced and highly motivated players that will give it their all to defeat the Drow.

As usual, I will do my best to give them a really hard time.

In just a couple of weeks time, I will start this my next epic campaign. It will be another long haul for my players. I hope they can be just as cool and collected as they step down into the thick impenetrable darkness below...
I played through CotSQ several years ago, and it didn't really appeal to me or the players. But I have evolved as a DM since then, and think I would've gotten more out of it now. We played the campaign as standalone, which could have contributed to the matter. I'm not too fond of mega-crawls either, but my players love drows, so I thought I'd give it a try. I think we played it through during the course of the summer holidays.

Feel free to ask for any advice Caligula, I'll try to remember how things went.

One thing I'll recommend is cutting out random encounters. There just isn't any point to them. I mean, if you get a random encounter one day, with an EL of... let's say.. 10.. and your characters are 10th level.. there really isn't any danger of any of them dying. It doesn't add to the plot or storyline, it just takes time!
Remember to add a lot of plot elements and subtle hints and plot items along the way as the adventure can very quickly turn into a hackfest where they simply wade through a lot of dying monsters for several sessions and then forget what they were supposed to do. Well not literally forget but it starts to seem to the players that they are just killing people with no purpose.
This adventure would make such an awesome module for NWN or NWN2 I wonder why nobody has taken up the task?
I played through CotSQ several years ago, and it didn't really appeal to me or the players. But I have evolved as a DM since then, and think I would've gotten more out of it now. We played the campaign as standalone, which could have contributed to the matter. I'm not too fond of mega-crawls either, but my players love drows, so I thought I'd give it a try. I think we played it through during the course of the summer holidays.

Feel free to ask for any advice Caligula, I'll try to remember how things went.

One thing I'll recommend is cutting out random encounters. There just isn't any point to them. I mean, if you get a random encounter one day, with an EL of... let's say.. 10.. and your characters are 10th level.. there really isn't any danger of any of them dying. It doesn't add to the plot or storyline, it just takes time!

Thanks for the offer Trellian, I do appreciate it.

Encounters can have other implications than killing PCs. They also drain the PCs of resources, and just like you pointed out, time. CotSQ is, as you might recall, a race against the clock just as much as it is a challenge in other aspects.

I will, however, try and make the encounters interesting and exciting and not just a "hack'n slash" party.
Remember to add a lot of plot elements and subtle hints and plot items along the way as the adventure can very quickly turn into a hackfest where they simply wade through a lot of dying monsters for several sessions and then forget what they were supposed to do. Well not literally forget but it starts to seem to the players that they are just killing people with no purpose.
This adventure would make such an awesome module for NWN or NWN2 I wonder why nobody has taken up the task?

Kala2000, you are spot on! It is important that the players reveal more and more of the sinister plot deep below the surface as they progress through the chapters.
I will portion out bits and pieces of information appropriately as they go deeper and deeper into the darkness of the Underdark.

Will it be to late to stop the flow of events as they discover the full truth? Only time will tell as 4 brave heroes from The Dales gather to take on the Drow...
I will try a new initiative for this campaign. My campaigns are long and tiresome. A lot is demanded of the players. They need to at least once every two weeks participate in a campaign that might run over a year. Considering my players have families, wives, secret lovers, companies, job careers, and a whole lot of other things to consider, it's not that easy. So I have offered 2 of my players to join in the campaign as "part timers".

Instead of taking the roles of the adventurers (the PCs), they will shift between different NPCs that the adventurers meet under way in the adventure. This may be either "good guys" or "bad guys". So my core players will never really know whether they can trust these 2 players on the other side of the gaming table.

Yes, that is correct, these 2 players will actually sit on my side of the table!

Here are some of the guidelines I will use for my "Part-Time Player Inititaive":

(Part-Time Players will be abbreviated as: "PTPs")

• I will set some absolute boundaries for how the PTPs use each NPC. Otherwise they are free to use all of their wits and desires.
  • The PTPs will always need to consider the NPCs alignment, class, and race when playing the NPC.
  • The core players actions may at times influence the NPCs actions by using Diplomacy, Intimidate, etc. The PTPs will be instructed during sessions when need be to change their behavior.
  • The PTPs will be sent an email with the NPC and its characteristics well described before each session so they can prepare and plan appropriately.

I hope that this initiative can offer great fun and dynamics even for these 2 players who can only join us sporadically during the "City of the Spiderqueen" campaign. I look forward to see how my players react when they come up against Mats (who used to play Morbald, Farkor, and Erythion) and Henry (who used to play Xaddax the Ninja).

It is great fun planning this campaign, and I relish the prospect of sending my lambs in to the slaughter...
hey C-man, this looks like it will be a very cool way to play this campain.

i can't wait for the first recap.

damn i'm drooling again, on my brand new keybo...

*crakle*
Yeah, right on Kardock! This campaign will be harder, tougher, and more brutal than the last one. Now you can take that to the bank my Canadian friend.
hey C-man, i've enjoyed your RHoD recap, your story-telling skills are outstanding ( i would say around 35-38 for sure :D ) and i can't wait for this recap to start.

to be honest, i'm very jealous, i'm having big problems having good players, so i'm a DM without a game these days!

but i'm still looking and someday i will have my group of players! ;)

thanks C, take care man!
Peace and prosperity

The Heroes of the Valley were spending time in Brindol, investing in their lands and property. They were identifying their newly found magic equipment and trying to cash in on some of the treasure they had acquired during their war against the Red Hand of Doom (see my other thread "Red Hand of Doom - Total Recap!"). Peace and prosperity had returned to the valley. The farmers were rebuilding their farms and orchards. The timbermen were working the forests, and the rivers and roads were yet again travelled by merchants and bards. Many told stories of the heroes from the north - the Heroes of the Valley - who bravely stood against overwhelming forces.

A stranger arrives

One day, just before sunset, the guard at the gates yelled "Incoming, one man on horse, fast, very fast!" The archers on post nocked arrows on their fine bows. There could still be remnants left from the dispersing Red Hand of Doom army. Most of them desperate, some still filled with vengeance and hatred. The officer on duty came running to the gate. He used a special device given to him by Nebrendil the Wizard to enhance his long-range vision. "A human. He looks fatigued. He wears an insignia on his tunique, but not one of the Southern lands of Faerun." The officer looked bothered, worried. "Whoever he is he must have travelled from lands far away." As if trusting his most inner sense the young captain yelled: "Archers, stand down." The archers obeyed in the wink of an eye. "We do not fire on humans in Brindol, city of liberty."

The Heroes gather yet again

The Heroes of the Valley were called and arrived at midnight in Lord Jaarmath's council room. The Lord's servants poured them all rosed water and served fresh fruit from the orchards surrounding the city. Usually all guests visiting Lord Jaarmath had to leave their weapons, but no one dared to tell Sir Rendawyth of Vraath Keep to abandon his Holy Avenger. The holy weapon that defeated Azarr Khul.

The Heroes were somewhat surprised to see Lord Jaarmath concerned again. For the last couple of weeks he had been joyful, tending to his people. Now, his sincer looks were back. "My dear friends, let me introduce Nilas Arhone to you. This young officer serves a person that some of you know. Lord Randal Morn of the Dalelands in the North. He has come to ask you of your help."

Sir Rendawyth looked at the young officer. His iceblue eyes looked tired, but still resilient. "Lord Randal Morn sent me with the greatest urgence. We have had several farms, even villages burnt and razed. The women have been raped, the children slaughtered, and the men tortured and murdered. We are in great pain, and the raids seem to increase in strength. We need you, and we need you to travel in haste to our lands. Please, I beg you, will you aid us in our great time of need?"

The Heroes were stunned. Waves of attacks? Raids? Murder, ****, and massacres? In the Dales??? Who could be behind this?

Nebrendil the Wizard's eyes turned even redder and the faint smell of sulfur in the backgroud intensified. When he spoke, it was with the metallic sound of an outsider filled with anger. "Nilas Arhone, your long and strenuous journey to come to us will not be in vain. We will immediately set off to aid our comrade Lord Randal Morn and we will not rest before we have defeated your enemies."

The officer from the Dales sighed with relief.

"But let me also ask you a question, young Arhone." Nebrendil's eyebrows crept together. "Who would dare attack you like this in full scale?"

Arhone swallowed heavily.

"The Drow, Sire. It is the Drow!"
And so the tale begins...

I already hear the music fading to a deep rumble...
The Grand Premiere of "City of the Spiderqueen" will be Thursday 21st of February.

I will roll out the red carpet and Hollywood superstars will arrive of course. Vin Diesel who is a D&D fan will inaugurate our proceedings.

The group will consist of 4 players. Christer ("Anor" here at the forums), Mikael ("Graazt"), Marcus, and Stefan. Mikael has decided to continue play The Inquisitor, Marcus will play [b]
this is not fair! i can't wait for the week-end to end to get at work and read the recap!

and what do i see? NO RECAP! CRAP!

my week-end is wasted!

:D
Hello everybody!

I just finished reading through the Red Hand of Doom Recap thread (and a great read it was) and I can't wait for the City of the SpiderQueen adventure to begin in earnest. Good luck to your players, Caligula, they're going to need it!
Sounds interesting. I tried DMing CotSQ, but the group never got past the first part of the adventure. Hope it goes well for your players, and I'll be following this recap too.
3 days to take-off...

2 days to take-off!!!

The spellbooks are dusted, spells prepared, wands and staffs polished - let the drows burn in hell!
The spellbooks are dusted, spells prepared, wands and staffs polished - let the drows burn in hell!

I will tell them you said hi!

I'm sure they will send you their "reply" before long...

Oh, and yes, only 21 hours to take-off!
The players' preparations for "City of the Spider Queen" were more meticulous than perhaps ever before. With their newly riches they were in search of powerful magic items. I told them that most of the <3.000 gp worth items could be found in Waterdeep, where we usually have our downtime. But the purchase of items >3.000 gp needed to be roleplayed.

The players used their skills and connections to the max. [b]
Session 1 – Lord Randal Morn of Daggerdale

It had been a long time since Nebrendil the Wizard and his friends saw Randal Morn last time. They had met him briefly in Battledale, as they were on a quest to find the secret vault of a legendary Drow treasure-hunter by the name of Larin Karr. But destiny had made the heroes depart south to face up to the hordes of Tiamat. The heroes had remained south for a very long time.

Randal Morn had heard of their heroics and was impressed. But he cut his pleasantries short as he had grave news indeed. The Drow had risen from the Underdark for the first time in hundreds of years. They had already sent 2 waves of brutal attackers, and that was only in the last seven days.

Randal Morn didn’t have much information to go on. Witnesses had told of the Drow. But the witnesses were few, as most of the villagers had faced brutal death. Randal Morn told the old stories about the Dordrien Crypts. How they were dug out centuries ago into the mountains, so deep that they allegedly even connected with the Underdark. Perhaps this was where the Drow exited into Daggerdale?

The Drow had struck from nowhere and had been exceptionally brutal. The men were slaughtered, the children butchered, and the women raped and mutilated before being killed as well. Just a few humans survived. But the Drow didn’t take anything of value, as there was nothing to take from poor peasants. Neither did they leave any messages, signs, or the slightest indication of why they did as they did. Nebrendil was worried by this. He knew that the servants of Lolth (Knowledge Religion check 40) usually didn’t act in this way. And usually they would make sure that the humans knew that it was in Lolth’s favor any crimes had been committed. Nebrendil remembered something he had read about another Drow God. A lesser God, not so well-known in Faerun. Kiaransalee. The Lady of the Dead. The Revenancer. The Vengeful Banshee. The White Banshee. Nebrendil remembered that this Demi God with many names, was a God of secret and of vengeance. She was cruel, twisted, and consumed by thoughts beyond the boarders of madness and evil. Her followers would perhaps be more inclined to commit these foul acts that had struck against Daggerdale? But there just was no proof.

The players also rolled for Knowledge History 24, Underdark 12, and Arcana 32. Nebrendil informed his friends that the Faerzress of the Underdark could disturb their magic. Especially Divination and Transmutation magic. However, a powerful Spellcraft check could overcome the Faerzress.

The players also learned that Randal Morn had assured that the Temple of Tyr in Dagger Falls would support them with 5.000 gp worth of healing. Those were limited to spellcasting services though, so no scrolls or potions could be supplied.

The players tried to accumulate as much info as possible, and even started building their own theories about what was going on here. Someone mentioned the fact that perhaps orcs or goblins tried to blame the Drow with their evil acts. Just a few witnesses had identified the perpetrators as Drow, and uneducated peasants, running for their lives in the middle of the night! How trust able could such witnesses be? The players asked to meet with the eye-witnesses, but Randal Morn cut them short by saying they had left Daggerdale and that he wished the players could investigate the Dordrien Drypts without any further delay. The players showed Randal Morn great respect by immediately subjecting to his will. But first they visited the Temple of Tyr! The clerics seemed supportive and wished the heroes well. They underscored the importance of bringing righteousness and justice to the evil folks of the Underdark. Strengthened by this support from the clerichood of Tyr in Dagger Falls, the players decided to depart for the Dordrien Crypts.

The Dordrien Crypts

They arrived early in the evening with the last rays of the sun striking high on their heads. They could see the crypts just a couple of miles from the road. They marched by foot and were happy to see some of the old stone buildings intact. Perhaps they could provide shelter over night? They could also see the large double-door entrance into the crypts. A large chain with a padlock could be spotted on the inside. The heroes decided to search the stone buildings first. They found traces of old grave-robbers and perhaps other adventurers. They could barely make out the name “Cahir” on one of the doors leading into a stone building. With a Knowledge History check on The Dordrien Crypts, they knew this was an old burial site for a people that had since long left these hills. Only families of noble kind would rest here. But the word “Cahir” was unknown to the heroes…

[b]
Tsk, tsk, exploring crypts at night.

My players looked at me oddly when I mentioned they would arrive the crypts at dusk. They camped 10 miles away and waited. They went to the crypts at noon!

I have them well-trained, you see

When Cahir turned into mist, they demolished the buildings with the coffins (no respect for those historical buildings at all!) using adamantine weapons and Power Attack, exposing the mist to sunlight. That finished him off.
Argaud, I'm happy to see that you have experienced players as well. But taking down the entire buildings seem a bit over-doing it...

Perhaps Randal Morn didn't take this horrendous razing of historical landmarks lightly? ;)

My players have plenty of confidence in their PCs by now. They have played, and been succesful, in the following adventures:

*Silverprincess' Palace
*Return to the Keep on the Borderland
*The Vault of Larin Karr
*The Wizard's Amulet
*Crucible of Freya
*Sons of Gruumsh
*Red Hand of Doom

For each succesful adventure the egos grow, but also, the players turn into more experienced and seasoned adventurers. Hardly anything surprises them by now and they know how to defeat any kind of enemy in any terrain. Tough being a DM these days... Perhaps the Underdark will offer something new.

I think that the 2 smaller stone buildings didn't seem that dangerous at all to my players. After having searched the first and larger of the two, with no threats at all, they saw the smaller building as an easy task. They did in fact mention that they counted on discovering some kind of undead, but rather a ghost or a ghoul - than a fullsized vampire!

They did vote against entering the crypts though after dark. They preferred staying outside and waiting for daylight, hitpoints, and new spells to return.
;)
Argaud, I'm happy to see that you have experienced players as well. But taking down the entire buildings seem a bit over-doing it...

Perhaps Randal Morn didn't take this horrendous razing of historical landmarks lightly? ;)

My players have plenty of confidence in their PCs by now.

And yet your games seem to have so many PC casualties that I am surprised your players aren’t far more paranoid (and optimize their characters better). :D

Truth is my gaming group has been playing together about 15 years, so they are pretty good at seeing danger coming and avoiding the usual pitfalls. There have been only two deaths in that particular D&D game, which has gone from level 5 to 18 so far (through 5 years of semi-weekly playing).

As for Randal Morn, well, what he might have thought was not an issue. The party is hardly the typical group of adventurers. For one they are all natives from the Underdark. At the time of the campaign start they were a drow (wizard), a dwarf half-dragon (barbarian/fighter), a half-giant (barbarian/cleric of Tempus) a half-drow half-fey (paladin of Elistraee) and tiefling (rogue/wizard/arcane trickster). I use limited LA buy-off, letting them lower their LA to their CR, so most were effectively just LA+1. Morn was not the one that gave them the quest, just someone they talked along the way because he had some information for them. Part of the party used Hats of Disguise to look more like surface adventurers and if Morn noticed something odd (he did) he kept quiet (also, the cleric at his side was detecting evil, and the PCs weren’t evil).

The stone building had just a few thousands hp. It is amazing how fast it got demolished by a trio of high-strength characters using Power Attack and adamantine axes and greatswords. At 50 hp/blow and 2-3 hits each round by each character it was less than a minute!

The party completed CotSQ without casualties. I beefed up many of the encounters, but they are just too tough and work very well together.

This was over a year ago, and the whole campaign took almost two years to finish. If you wish I will comment on what I remember they doing as you post what happens to your group. I am not going to remember everything, but I remember many interesting details.
I'm not sure if we had that many casualties really over the years. In fact, during 24 years of D&D gaming we have never ever had a TPK. I guess I need to sharpen my swords a bit...

A lot of the PCs that died during the RHoD campaign were either 1st level PCs or low-level PCs that we used to introduce new players. So I'm afaraid it's not very representative of our normal kill-ratio. These PCs were more like cohorts to the main PCs, but they died too fast unfortunately. We have now stopped using that method... :embarrass

If I look at it in the long run, we haven't had that many PC deaths. But when you tell me that your players were succesful in CotSQ without any single casualty, I'm shocked! I have never heard of that before. It should be an awefully difficult module and many players here at the boards have shared their experiences with us, filled with death and tragedy...

I salute your players and I hope they get the appreciation that they deserve!
Something that's been bugging me. CotS is 3.0. I don't think it was ever reprinted (was it?) and a lot has changed in terms of system differences. So how are you managing this?
Something that's been bugging me. CotS is 3.0. I don't think it was ever reprinted (was it?) and a lot has changed in terms of system differences. So how are you managing this?

There was (maybe there is still) a huge thread about translating the characters from 3.0 to 3.5. I used some of the advice given there, but mostly just adjusted the encounters so they were the right CR (and added into some, since my party was often 5 members, and my players are pretty skilled at getting the most of their characters).

Still, it was quite a bit of work.

You are correct Sunic Flames, CotSQ is only available in 3.5.

As Argaud correctly mentions there was a thread where fellow DMs exchanged 3.5 updates. I have read that thread many times, and even though many creations are interesting and good inspiration, I do not recommend to use it without great consideration. Some of the creations posted are not only changing the challenge as such, but also changes the intended story surrounding the creature.

Personally I always use the official guidelines from Wizards when converting modules. I also read what other fellow DMs have done in the past. That is good both for inspiration and the details regarding the rules. It is easy to miss out on something, so the more DMs giving their view on things, the merrier!

Perhaps the most important thing is understanding the story, the concept of the module, and indeed your role as a DM. I see the DMs role as an "administrator". I only administer what the players decide to do. I always make sure there will be an appropriate consequence to their actions. The players must take responsibility for their actions. I never punish my players, and I never aid my players. There destiny is in their own hands.

In terms of CotSQ, I make sure I know the story by heart. Not all the details, but the story as a whole. For each session I study the chapter to be played intensively. I study the story in detail, the enemies and allies that are likely to be met, their goals and personalities, and any likely sidequests that may arise. Being well prepared is always key here.

I have owned CotSQ since it's release and I have read it many times. It has always been a pleasure. In my mind I can almost see each part of the module and how the different possible responses to the players' actions are likely to be played out. But I must also be able to come up with improvisations should the players come up with some astonishing plan. I must always be ready for the unplanned, and yet again being well prepared will define your ability to swing it as any new situation arises.

I will share all my CotSQ experiences with you guys here at the boards, so you may judge for yourselves whether I succeed or not. All opinions are as always welcome and appreciated.

The campaign will be back on track next Thursday, so please check in again by then.

Happy Easter to all!

We've been playing this and just finished part 2 over the weekend. I haven't encounterd any major problems with running it in 3.5.

I have a pdf copy as well as a print copy and have printed out all the pages with the stat blocks. Any changes to stat blocks to bring them to 3.5 I just write on the pages I printed. Any monsters from the Monster Manual I just use the version from the 3.5 Monter Manual.
Hey Caligula, long time no see!

Can't wait for this recap to get going strong like your RHoD one was. I'm looking forward to reading it!

I've also wondered about a couple things in the 3.0 CotSQ module. Like, the hold haste, which would let you cast two spells as a full round action... I think your PCs would have been much harder pressed if Cahir had been able to cast two lightning bolts in one round!

~LB
Hey Caligula, long time no see!

Can't wait for this recap to get going strong like your RHoD one was. I'm looking forward to reading it!

I've also wondered about a couple things in the 3.0 CotSQ module. Like, the hold haste, which would let you cast two spells as a full round action... I think your PCs would have been much harder pressed if Cahir had been able to cast two lightning bolts in one round!

~LB

Lord Bahamut, it is always a pleasure to see you here at the boards! Your posts are always well received and you always offer an interesting angle on things.

Our CotSQ campaign will grow more intense as the heroes progress downwards in the Underdark... Due to Easter we have had our campaign put on hold for 2 weeks. Next session is scheduled to be on Thursday 3rd of April.

You are head on with your analysis, Lord Bahamut. Some of the fiends, including Cahir, built their tactics on the old 3.0 rule regarding Haste - which would allow them to cast 2 spells per round. In some cases you can substitute this with using the Quickened Spell feat. But it uses a higher spell level slot and can thus not always be used if you are to follow the 3.5 rules correctly.

My take on this is that some encounters will be somewhat easier in the 3.5 version, but others will be somewhat more difficult. In the end all balances out.

It is important that the DM of the CotSQ module reads the module thoroughly and plans each group of enemies' tactics in detail. As my recap gains pace in the weeks to come, I will share with you some of my thoughts regarding each battle and each major encounter.

I hope that you guys had a nice Easter and that the Easter-bunny wasn't too wicked. ;) I promise you guys hardcore action come April!
Lord Bahamut, it is always a pleasure to see you here at the boards! Your posts are always well received and you always offer an interesting angle on things.

Caligula, i want to take a moment to tell you that i have never saw someone with this level of courtesy anywhere on the boards i lurk!

you have always something nice to say to people and this kind of behavior is, in my book, worth mentionning.

if more people were like you, i'm sure we, as a human race, could get a big step towards peace and harmony.

as a final note, i have to say that i'm very jealous of your players, i wish i could have a good DM like you! or be as good a DM as you are

thanks!
The Celerity line of spells somewhat simulates the effect... :D