Cryptic command in Extended?

71 posts / 0 new
Last post
I dont want to sound stupid, and I am new to extended, is Cryptic Command good to use in extended? I wasnt sure because od Runed Snag, Mana leak, etc.

Thanks in advance!:D
I am in CONTROL! WHITE Power!!! I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Its generally a good swiss army knife. 4 ofs maybe not. But 2 or 3 is commonly seen in faerie lists.
Its generally a good swiss army knife. 4 ofs maybe not. But 2 or 3 is commonly seen in faerie lists.

Yeah, 2-3 Cryptic Command is good in Control decks already playing a set of Spell Snare and Mana Leak.
I always find it slow and bulky. Having to leave four mana open is annoying when, with other counters, I can simply leave open two. It's not bad but I'd never run more than two, if any.
I run a full set in any control deck with a mana base to support 3blue. Its an amazing spell, it creates critical card advantages and can tap your opponents critters for the win. Oh and its a blue fog. Oh and it can bounce anything.
I'm a bit torn on cryptic command. On the one hand it's a very nice card to generate CA, but on the other hand if you try to cryptic there's a good chance you're tapping out to do it. Against aggro decks I'd probably want to run a full set of them, but against other control decks I'd probably only want 2, maybe 3, but definitely not 4 in my deck since it just leaves you too open to shenanigans by other control decks.
I'm a bit torn on cryptic command. On the one hand it's a very nice card to generate CA, but on the other hand if you try to cryptic there's a good chance you're tapping out to do it. Against aggro decks I'd probably want to run a full set of them, but against other control decks I'd probably only want 2, maybe 3, but definitely not 4 in my deck since it just leaves you too open to shenanigans by other control decks.

its worth it to tap out since you are doing 2 spells worth of "things". A resolved cryptic command generate a large advantage in just the way that a control decks needs. Not every control deck can support the 3 blue mana base, but if your deck can you should be running 4x. Imho anyways.
I run a mono blue merfolk deck, and I regularly tap out during my turn. Therefore, tapping out for Cryptic Command isn't really a big deal for me.
That sounds really nasty. Merfolk decks are unpopular for some reason but I have a VERY hard time with them any time I face one.
That sounds really nasty. Merfolk decks are unpopular for some reason but I have a VERY hard time with them any time I face one.

I've yet to find a build that could beat Zoo with any amount of consistency while still maintaining a strong Faerie/NLU matchup (which is its main strength).
cryptic in extended is not as good as cryptic in standard. its still fantastic, but in extended it is too slow to be a 4-of. having to tap out in order to counter something is a much worse play in extended than it is in standard, especially on turn 4. even with the extra effects, its not worth playing 4
I don't think anyone would play Dismiss in the current Extended, since Dismal Failure generates the same card advantage at the same mana cost, and Cryptic is just slightly more utilitarian. To be honest, I find myself countering/bouncing far far more often than countering/drawing. Card advantage is nice, but there's a lot to be said about a giant tempo swing like that.
I don't think anyone would play Dismiss in the current Extended, since Dismal Failure generates the same card advantage at the same mana cost, and Cryptic is just slightly more utilitarian. To be honest, I find myself countering/bouncing far far more often than countering/drawing. Card advantage is nice, but there's a lot to be said about a giant tempo swing like that.

*nods* Counter and bounce can be a game winning swing.

Look guys, Counterspell is gone and so are a lot of other great 2cc counters like memory lapse (why wasnt lapse reprinted in m10?!). Force Spike is also gone. You dont really have to worry about the mass counterspell wars of yore. Control decks arent like that any more.

Instead of relying on cheap, powerful counterspells to protect itself early as was the case in the old days, control decks now rely on the plethora of effective cheap removal cards in the format such as Path to Exile. Counter magic comes into play mid game more often than not these days.

Counterspells now come in the form of "soft counters". Cards like Mana Leak and Remand. Sure both cards are very playable and effective, but they arent "hard counters". WOTC has decided that we must pay more for hard counters, so you wont find many playable ones until you hit the 3cc level. Given the game-winning power of Cryptic Command and the absence of cheap hard counters at lower casting costs, any control deck that can support a 3U casting cost should run a playset of these. End.
Given the game-winning power of Cryptic Command and the absence of cheap hard counters at lower casting costs, any control deck that can support a 3U casting cost should run a playset of these. End.

if this were true then all control decks would be playing 4. but they dont. why? because it isnt as dominant in extended as it is in standard. in a format where most aggro decks mana curves tops out at around 3 and decks play very few lands in comparison to standard, spells like spell snare and mana leak are great.

look at it this way: your playing someone, you dont know what they are playing. your opening hand has 2 cryptic commands in it and no other counters. in standard, you would have a decent shot at winning. in extended, your dead. cryptic is just too slow to run 4. extended games are faster than standard, and you need faster counterspells to stay alive.
if this were true then all control decks would be playing 4. but they dont. why? because it isnt as dominant in extended as it is in standard. in a format where most aggro decks mana curves tops out at around 3 and decks play very few lands in comparison to standard, spells like spell snare and mana leak are great.

look at it this way: your playing someone, you dont know what they are playing. your opening hand has 2 cryptic commands in it and no other counters. in standard, you would have a decent shot at winning. in extended, your dead. cryptic is just too slow to run 4. extended games are faster than standard, and you need faster counterspells to stay alive.

Its not too slow to run four you just don't know how a modern control deck works. Stop thinking about control decks as MUCs and start thinking about them as Rocks with counter magic.

Using your example, suppose you have no idea what deck you are playing and you draw nothing but 2 Wrath of God. Does that make warth of god too slow for extended??? Cmon dude think these things out.
Its not too slow to run four you just don't know how a modern control deck works. Stop thinking about control decks as MUCs and start thinking about them as Rocks with counter magic.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/activity/229

recent extended results, look at the decklists. how many run 4 cryptics? case closed.

as for the wrath situation, its completely different. wrath is the cheapest and the best option for total board sweepers. if your going to be playing creature hate in a deck, wrath is probably the best option just because there is nothing better. on the other hand, there are too many good, cheaper alternatives to cryptic that are better in extended. spell snare, stifle, mana leak, all vastly better in extended than cryptic. not saying cryptic is bad, but its not worth playing 4.
Just to get a frame of reference, what modern extended control decks do you play?

EDIT: Also there arent any control decks listed in the top8 of the ext tourney you listed, so im not sure what point your link is trying to prove other than control decks werent popular that day...

EDIT2: OK I missed the fae deck in there that ran 2x Cryptics. But please remember Fae is about to lose its Riptides and without that lock it likely will be bumping up the count to 4x Cryptics post rotation. Fae would be the one exception to the rule, but whatever is left of Fae post rotation will likely be running more Cryptics. Regardless the exception proves the rule.
i play Tezzerator pretty regularly, and i use 2 cryptics, 4 spell snares and 3 stifles MD.

fae probably will bump up to 4 cryptics, but other control decks will not. other control decks lose nothing except the fetchlands and stifle post rotation, except Tezz which will lose the bridge. but the fact remains that except for fae, no deck is going to consider running 4x cryptic command. its just too slow for the format.
OK lets look at your card choices for a min:

3 Stifle - Lackluster choice at best, post rotation stifle will not see MD play at all.

4 Spell Snare - If you draw this after turn 2 its a dead card most likely, but you want 4 copies of it (??).

2 Cryptic Command - A great card, and since Tezz has no problem at all dragging the game out well past turn 6 what is your justification for not running 4 copies?

Ad hoc analysis:

-1 Spell Snare
-1 Stifle

+2 Cryptic Command.

Look now your deck is better already!
turn 4, this is what should be happening in the game:
Combo decks should be getting ready to go off or be going off. Elves killed you last turn. stifle, mana leak, and spell snare are all better against combo.
Control should be if not in control of the game, getting there, and chances are if you are running 4 cryptics, you probably are running less copies of other counters, so your gonna lose some counter wars
Aggro should be attacking your life by then. tapping out for cryptic stalls for 1 turn. a better option would be to counter their creatures earlier with mana leak and spell snare.

cryptic is just too slow for extended. i tested with 4 in Tezz, it failed. i tested Tezz mana leak and condescend instead of the 2 extra cryptics and did much better. cryptic command is still good, but not worth running 4.
stifle rotates out with fetchlands, etc. The issue with cryptic command in extended in my opinion, is against aggro, they can beat down with one Wild Nacatl while you wasted your turn four planning on using cryptic, but bouncing/tapping down one creature and cantripping is just not worth your fourth turn.
stifle rotates out with fetchlands, etc. The issue with cryptic command in extended in my opinion, is against aggro, they can beat down with one Wild Nacatl while you wasted your turn four planning on using cryptic, but bouncing/tapping down one creature and cantripping is just not worth your fourth turn.

Umm its a blue fog are you #^%$% serious???
turn 4, this is what should be happening in the game:
Combo decks should be getting ready to go off or be going off. Elves killed you last turn. stifle, mana leak, and spell snare are all better against combo.
Control should be if not in control of the game, getting there, and chances are if you are running 4 cryptics, you probably are running less copies of other counters, so your gonna lose some counter wars
Aggro should be attacking your life by then. tapping out for cryptic stalls for 1 turn. a better option would be to counter their creatures earlier with mana leak and spell snare.

cryptic is just too slow for extended. i tested with 4 in Tezz, it failed. i tested Tezz mana leak and condescend instead of the 2 extra cryptics and did much better. cryptic command is still good, but not worth running 4.

Oh youve tested it. Ok then. Wait though....How exactly have you tested it?

Ive played literally hundreds of games online with just one of my decks that runs 4x Cryptics. Im close to 1700 rating points for what thats worth as well.

Look I can tell by your post that you are INCAPABLE of thinking about ANY other color than blue when you think of control decks so I will leave you alone in la la land, but just a final desperate fyi: OTHER COLORS HAVE CONTROL CARDS!.

Fin.
Oh youve tested it. Ok then. Wait though....How exactly have you tested it?

ive tested with 4 cryptics, 3 spell snares and 2 mana leaks, didnt work well. i tested with 4 cryptics, 3 spell snares and 2 stifles, didnt work. ive tested with 4 cryptics, 3 stifles and 2 mana leaks, ive tested with 4 cryptics, 3 stifles and 2 spell snares, ive tested with 4 cryptics, 4 mana leaks and just cut the 9th counterspell completely, ive done alot of testing. cryptic is too slow.

Ive played literally hundreds of games online with just one of my decks that runs 4x Cryptics. Im close to 1700 rating points for what thats worth as well.

you got all those points with just 1 deck?

Look I can tell by your post that you are INCAPABLE of thinking about ANY other color than blue when you think of control decks so I will leave you alone in la la land, but just a final desperate fyi: OTHER COLORS HAVE CONTROL CARDS!.

in standard i use a control deck. any other personal attacks?

Fin.
ve tested with 4 cryptics, 3 spell snares and 2 mana leaks, didnt work well. i tested with 4 cryptics, 3 spell snares and 2 stifles, didnt work. ive tested with 4 cryptics, 3 stifles and 2 mana leaks, ive tested with 4 cryptics, 3 stifles and 2 spell snares, ive tested with 4 cryptics, 4 mana leaks and just cut the 9th counterspell completely, ive done alot of testing.

You have done all this testing then please justify why a Tezz deck runs 4x Spell Snare? Do you deny that this is a dead card past turn 2? Please justify logically.

What do you plan on doing post rotation with Stifle? Can you even justify running 3 copies of stifle md NOW?? Maybe you are in a combo heavy meta but even then I would still likely keep Stifle in the side...

The way you have your deck set up its all clogged up at the 1cc level with potentially dead cards. THats ugly. Do you at least run 4x Ancestral Vision? If so now you are looking at 11 dead card "1 drops" in a control deck that hopes to drag the game out for a while if it works properly. Id love to hear your justification for that...

I think your version of "a lot of testing" might be vastly different from what I am doing. Do you even play online?
You have done all this testing then please justify why a Tezz deck runs 4x Spell Snare? Do you deny that this is a dead card past turn 2? Please justify logically.

What do you plan on doing post rotation with Stifle? Can you even justify running 3 copies of stifle md NOW?? Maybe you are in a combo heavy meta but even then I would still likely keep Stifle in the side...

The way you have your deck set up its all clogged up at the 1cc level with potentially dead cards. THats ugly. Do you at least run 4x Ancestral Vision? If so now you are looking at 11 "1 drops" in a control deck that hopes to drag the game out for a while if it works properly. Id love to hear your justification for that...

I think your version of "a lot of testing" might be vastly different from what I am doing. Do you even play online?

I really have a hard time believing that you actually do any proper testing. If you played as much extended as you claim to, i don't see how you could make some of these statements. Anway ..

Why would Spell Snare be a dead card after turn two? It's not like your opponent is going to stop drawing/casting goyfs after that. Also i heard it's good against Mana Leak, Spellstutter Sprite, Remand, Dard Confidant, Lord of Atlantis, Life from the loam, random burn and much more. And yes, you can counter these EVEN after turn two!

Stifle will be alot weaker post rotation, but right now it's key in the control/combo mirrors. It stops Fetchlands, Ancestral Vision, Spellstutter Sprite, Sower of Temptation, rapes Storm and can delay Shackles/Mutavault/Blossom for one turn and much more. I played Tezzeret last season and it was barely ever a dead card.

And even though your plan in control is to drag the game along, this doesn't mean you should play high priced cards. Keeping your CC low helps winning counterwars over stuff (because your cards are cheap) or playing multiple threads during one turn to bait counters.

The way you have your deck set up its all clogged up at the 1cc level with potentially dead cards. THats ugly. Do you at least run 4x Ancestral Vision? If so now you are looking at 11 "1 drops" in a control deck that hopes to drag the game out for a while if it works properly. Id love to hear your justification for that...

Spell Snare is not a dead card past turn two. If 50% of their deck is 2cc, it won't magically change to another cc midgame.

Stifle it's far from a dead card in the mainboard. 1cc Stone Rain? 1cc Counterspell against anything with suspend? Spellstutter Sprite? Any nifty tricks your opponent comes up with?

Quick question, though... What are you going to do after you fog team.goyf? Are you going to drop down that Damnation we all know NLU runs?
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Spell Snare is not a dead card past turn two. If 50% of their deck is 2cc, it won't magically change to another cc midgame.

Stifle it's far from a dead card in the mainboard. 1cc Stone Rain? 1cc Counterspell against anything with suspend? Spellstutter Sprite? Any nifty tricks your opponent comes up with?

Quick question, though... What are you going to do after you fog team.goyf? Are you going to drop down that Damnation we all know NLU runs?

I would wrath since I play bant, yes.

Spell Snare is a dead card vs. a bunch of decks like affinity dredge storm bant etc etc. ITs only really good against red burn and zoo. Even against those decks its not always playable.

I get that you want to help yourself out against zoo and burn and I commend that. But you dont water down your main deck in order to give yourself some nominal protection against your bad matchups. If you do that you stand less chance of beating the decks a control is supposed to be GOOD at beating...

Can you understand what I am trying to tell you at least even if you do not agree? Im still not sure we are speaking about magic at the same level.

Goyf, Jitte, Teeg, Helix, all cards that have seen play recently in extended that have cmc 2, that number doesnt change late game, spell snare is as deadly late as it is early, but because of the high number of cmc 2 beatsticks in extended, you need it.

post rotation... nothing. stifle cycles out post rotation. but for now, i can find some uses. there are these cards, maybe you have heard of them, they are called fetchlands (because they use an ACTIVATED ABILITY to fetch lands). stifle that turn 1 and watch your opponent panic because of lack of land. it also stops suspend for 1, turns sprite into a worthless weak creature, stops engineered explosives for 1, its just deadly. thats why i run 3.

i dont think you are familiar with Tezzerator at all. it doesnt run ancestral vision. its not necessary. Tezz draws out the game by using stifles, spell snares, sometimes mana leak and other cheap counters, and cheap removal artifacts early to keep the game under control, then take control of the board with Tezz and his fantastic fetching ability. because of the use of artifacts, Thirst for Knowledge is so much better in Tezz than visions.

when i test, i do it right. i test against aggro, control, combo, everything. if i cant find someone online playing the specific archetype i wanna test against, i netdeck a list that did well and have a friend who is familiar with it test with me. and i dont just test for 1 or 2 matches, i test over and over and over until ive had a chance to see how every card works in the matchup, what specific spells my deck is weak agaisnt and what i have that can stop it. is that "vastly different?" because if it is, your doing it wrong.

Spell Snare is a dead card vs. a bunch of decks like affinity dredge storm bant etc etc. ITs only really good against red burn and zoo. Even against those decks its not always playable.

Snare stops Ravager and Plating, which already makes it decent. It's maybe not a superstar but far away from useless. Also did you read the other comments how it shines against NLU/Fae/Tezzeret and other Control decks? So a card that is good against Zoo/Storm/NLU/Fae aka everything that is tier 1 atm is supposed to be bad?
Snare stops Ravager and Plating, which already makes it decent. It's maybe not a superstar but far away from useless. Also did you read the other comments how it shines against NLU/Fae/Tezzeret and other Control decks? So a card that is good against Zoo/Storm/NLU/Fae aka everything that is tier 1 atm is supposed to be bad?

YOu are making all kinds of leaps there. Just because a deck has spells at the 2cc level doesnt make it vulnerable to spell snare. Spell snare is dead just as often as it is useful against EVERY deck you mentioned. There are better card choices for your deck at the 1cc level, or better yet just make room for better cards period. Spell Snare is a gamblers card, which personally I dont think fits well with a control deck. Im NOT saying it isnt a playble card!! I use them!! Just not 4 copies.
YOu are making all kinds of leaps there. Just because a deck has spells at the 2cc level doesnt make it vulnerable to spell snare. Spell snare is dead just as often as it is useful against EVERY deck you mentioned. There are better card choices for your deck at the 1cc level, or better yet just make room for better cards period. Spell Snare is a gamblers card, which personally I dont think fits well with a control deck. Im NOT saying it isnt a playble card!! I use them!! Just not 4 copies.

Once again i question your testing. Spell Snare is MUCH more often very good against most decks then dead, because all of them run a multitude of targets for Spell Snare.

What yet undiscovered 1cc solution to all these cards Spell Snare hits do you propose instead? Also i think noone said it's an auto 4-of in every deck, actually i run only three. But i'd never ever replace them with Cryptic Command for example, because both cards serve very different roles to begin with.

hm, so a spell that stops the 2 biggest threats to affinity, stops goyf, jitte, and helix, shuts down the biggest enablers of the dredge combo, and is good against control is a gamblers card? sounds like a metagamers card to me. and you would rather allow goyf and jitte to resolve and take care of them turn 4 by... tapping them?

EDIT: also, i agree with nikelrah, spell snare is not an auto 4-of in control decks, but replacing them with cryptics is a bad play

I get that you want to help yourself out against zoo and burn and I commend that. But you dont water down your main deck in order to give yourself some nominal protection against your bad matchups. If you do that you stand less chance of beating the decks a control is supposed to be GOOD at beating...

Can you understand what I am trying to tell you at least even if you do not agree? Im still not sure we are speaking about magic at the same level.

Spell Snare hits Ancient Grudge, Arcbound Ravager, Bitterblossom, Chalice of the Void X=1, Cranial Plating, Dark Confidant, Desperate Ritual, Echoing Truth, Engineered Explosives X=2, Ethersworn Canonist, Gaddock Teeg, Glimpse the Unthinkable, Jotun Grunt, Keldon Marauders, Life from the Loam, Lightning Helix, Mana Leak, Peer Through Depths, Remand, Rune Snag, Shrapnel Blast, Smother, Spellstutter Sprite, Tarmogoyf, Tidehollow Sculler, Umezawa's Jitte, anything homebrew, and any staples that I forgot.

And by the way, I can't help but notice that only 5/6 cards in that list are played in Zoo. Maybe 1 of them being strictly Zoo.

p.s. Spell Snare is actually really bad against Burn. It only hits two cards, one of them waning in popularity.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
I've been very happy with 3 Cryptic Command in NLU. I wouldn't go up to a full set, though.
Also i think noone said it's an auto 4-of in every deck, actually i run only three.

The guy whos jumping up and down about spell snare is claiming it IS an auto 4 of. I only recommended he dropped the count to 3 as you yourself do.

Im also not implying that Cryptic and Spell Snare are swappable cards guys cmon, its pretty obvious I was only talking about his particular deck that he loosely described.

What yet undiscovered 1cc solution to all these cards Spell Snare hits do you propose instead?

Hmm start with 4x Path to Exile and if you need more choices after that I will think some up.
read my posts, i never said spell snare is a 4-of across the board. i use 4 in Tezz because its good in most matchups, and is essential to keeping the game in control in the first few turns before i can Tezz out the important artifacts ftw. cryptic on the other hand is not an auto 4-of, and using 4 in Tezz doesnt work.
Im still waiting on ANY kind of justification for that statement. Im also still waiting for you to respond to the inadequacies of your card choices of stifle and spell snare, two potentially dead cards in the same slot.

Stifle is only good if you:

1) Go first and
2) draw it in your opener and
3) face an opponent using fetch lands

Spell Snare has obv limitations as well. Look man im sure you feel really smart when you play a teps guy and you have stifle md or 1 in 4-5 matches you screw someones land but I think if you be honest with yourself you will realize that a significant portion of the time Stifle is dead. Spell Snare too.

Like Mox and many other "gamble" cards they are overpowered when they work but useless when they don't.
Im still waiting on ANY kind of justification for that statement. Im also still waiting for you to respond to the inadequacies of your card choices of stifle and spell snare, two potentially dead cards in the same slot.

1) Go first and

Spell Snare has obv limitations as well. Look man im sure you feel really smart when you play a teps guy and you have stifle md or 1 in 4-5 matches you screw someones land but I think if you be honest with yourself you will realize that a significant portion of the time Stifle is dead. Spell Snare too.

Like Mox and many other "gamble" cards they are overpowered when they work but useless when they don't.

Umm... Let me look and find the number of decks that don't play fetches... Oh, right... One. Mono-Red Burn.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:

1) Go first and

i went over this a few posts ago, but here it is again:

Stifle: almost all decks except mono red burn and all in red use fetchlands. nuff said.

Spell Snare: against affinity, stops ravager and plating, two of the biggest threats. against zoo, stops goyf, jitte, helix to name a few. against dredge, stops Magus of the Bazaar, glimpse the unthinkable, and Ideas Unbound. against fae and other control decks, it stops sprite, mana leak and rune snag. against storm decks it stops desperate ritual, remand, and peer through depths. im probably forgetting some stuff, but since ive listed alot already, its a good card.

now back to cryptic command, the card you are seemingly in love with. ive tested with 4 MD, ive tested with 3 MD. its best at 2 in Tezz. in other builds it can be used in higher numbers, but rarely is a complete set used. why? because its too slow to invest that many slots too it. look at event results. the link i posted earlier had 2 extended tournaments in it, in both a control deck Top 8'd. how many cryptics did they use? 2 each! not 4. sorry, its not an auto 4-of
Once again, it's not a bad card, far from it. It's that 4 mana is a bit much for the curve, especially for a counterspell.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Sign In to post comments