Hive Mind Combo?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do you guys think the Hive Mind + Pact combo will have any impact on the format?

Already I see some people discussing turning this into a possible Extended combo deck.
I think it's too expensive.
NO LOTUS MUTHA ****IN' SHOPS BURN'T DOWN THE MUTHA ****IN' GENCON
I need a little bit of enlightenment into this combo. o.o What does it play, how does it work, ect ect ect. Thanks.
[C]Hive Mind[/C]
Enchantment
Whenever a player casts an instant or sorcery spell, each other player copies that spell. Each of those players may choose new targets for his or her copy.

[C]Pact of Negation[/C]
Instant - Arcane
Pact of Negation is blue.
Counter target spell.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, pay . If you don't, you lose the game.

As you can see, if a Hive Mind is in play, and you play Pact, your opponent will have to pay or he will lose the game on his next upkeep.
It seems decent. UR seems obvious for a more straight up combo version. A UW control-combo version could be pretty good: grind, stall, draw, tutor, BANG! I win.
When this was first spoiled on MTGSal the cost of Hive Mind was listed as or .

Now that it has been confirmed @ 6 mana, though, I'm not so sure if this can ever be competitive. I mean, it was already really expensive @ 5cc... but 6 is pretty rough.
Maybe it could be used in a Gifts deck.
NO LOTUS MUTHA ****IN' SHOPS BURN'T DOWN THE MUTHA ****IN' GENCON
Maybe it could be used in a Gifts deck.

I like this idea. I don't think it can work as a pure combo deck. Then again, I could be wrong. We'll see.
[C]Hive Mind[/C]
Enchantment
Whenever a player casts an instant or sorcery spell, each other player copies that spell. Each of those players may choose new targets for his or her copy.

[C]Pact of Negation[/C]
Instant - Arcane
Pact of Negation is blue.
Counter target spell.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, pay . If you don't, you lose the game.

As you can see, if a Hive Mind is in play, and you play Pact, your opponent will have to pay or he will lose the game on his next upkeep.

Could be pretty annoying in multiplayer, but not sure how competitive it is for regular extended play.
They see me trollin', they hatin'. Only 31.0% of the playerbase actually prefers Standard to the other formats, yet it is the format that gets the most attention. PATHETIC. If you had millions of loyal customers who adore and admire you, and you could raise your middle finger at them, wouldn't you? **** YOU TOO, WIZARDS. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
coming off of a lotus bloom, it would obviously give it the mana needed to go off early. Easily early enough to race aggro, but I don't know how well the control MU would be. It would be also important to note that getting the pact would be easy (merchant scroll) but getting the hive consistently and early enough to matter might be a bit difficult.

UR would be the obvious choice for a straight up combo deck using seething songs, lotus blooms, and merchant scroll.
A tweaked TEPS shell could support this on 4 or 5. That may make it competitive. But its hardly guaranteed. Sadly enough if you want combo I think its still Dragonstorm or Genesis or Dredge.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

i don't know how well this would work in extended, but just yesterday i was playing EDH with 6 other guys, one of them played this combo, and since 4 of us weren't running blue, 4 of us lost. which made me very upset, seeing as everyone was playing green in some form, i got wurm's tooth second turn, and by the time i lost, i was at like 104 life. super lame. but it works quite well in EDH format, for future reference.
Sign In to post comments