Why do you play Extended?

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
I play Extended because it is the cheapest format in Magic Online. Standard cards tend to be quite expensive, and us cheap Extended players wait for Standard rotations to get good cards for less. For example, I got a playset of Remand for $3.00, which is much less than what I would've paid for them when they were legal in Standard.

I could play Classic, which is the Magic Online equivalent of Legacy, but it doesn't have as many players as Extended or Standard, and it has a much higher cost of entry, particularly the good Master's Edition 1 and 2 cards (dual lands, Force of Will, Necropotence) and the Invasion block cards (which are actually more expensive than their paper counterparts).

What about you?
I play Extended because it is the cheapest format in Magic Online. Standard cards tend to be quite expensive, and us cheap Extended players wait for Standard rotations to get good cards for less. For example, I got a playset of Remand for $3.00, which is much less than what I would've paid for them when they were legal in Standard.

I could play Classic, which is the Magic Online equivalent of Legacy, but it doesn't have as many players as Extended or Standard, and it has a much higher cost of entry, particularly the good Master's Edition 1 and 2 cards (dual lands, Force of Will, Necropotence) and the Invasion block cards (which are actually more expensive than their paper counterparts).

What about you?

The cost is certainly an upside. Also, it's much more diverse and the metais muuuuch better than standard's.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
Mines is sort of complicated. I started magic right around when the onslaught/kamigawa block came out. About a year or two later, I quit magic to pursue other things. Than at college I saw people playing magic and I sort of got back into it. When I got back I realized the only cards I had left over were 8th edition and up so I decided to get into extended.
It's fun, cheap in the long run, and diverse. Oh yeah, and it gives me a chance to qualify for the Pro Tour.
It's a lot of fun and not as expensive as the other formats, mostly I play because when you can play cards you get in relatively new sets and not too old sets instead of worrying about the entire format changing so fast like Standard or having to get the most expensive cards for Legacy and Vintage.
yep. Standard= too few card choices. Legacy/Vintage = too expensive.
Actually Legacy costs aren't too bad. The barrier to entry certainly can be high (Forces, duals, and fetchlands), but the maintenance of decks and the amount of decks that use the same cards insures that your cards keep their value. Also in the long run Legacy is cheaper since you don't have to worry about things like rotations.
My Trade Thread Control capabilities are in all the colors. The difference is in the way they say no.
It's fun, cheap in the long run, and diverse. Oh yeah, and it gives me a chance to qualify for the Pro Tour.

This.
IMAGE(http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/Guardman/MTGDarkness3.jpg) http://forums.mtgdarkness.com/ MTGDarkness: A Magic: the Gathering forum.
I would answer with most of the above, but I honestly don't know why I bother trying anymore. With my player rating hovering at a scrublicious 1534, and my inability to play well under pressure, I can't see a reason to make things harder on myself anymore. While playing Extended is certainly fun, I don't really see it paying off for me, especially with my ability to play Limited getting much better.
I always play whichever season is going on, and it is pretty fun.
I always play whichever season is going on, and it is pretty fun.

That.

Whatever the relevant constructed format is at the moment is what I play. I don't play any limited formats competitively.

However, in general Extended is my favorite format though, it is diverse and exciting. Standard is just a constant frantic rush to buy new cards and before you even get a handful of tournaments under your belt your deck rotates out of existence.

I would like to get seriously into legacy but competitive legacy tournaments are almost non existent.
That.

Whatever the relevant constructed format is at the moment is what I play. I don't play any limited formats competitively.

However, in general Extended is my favorite format though, it is diverse and exciting. Standard is just a constant frantic rush to buy new cards and before you even get a handful of tournaments under your belt your deck rotates out of existence.

I would like to get seriously into legacy but competitive legacy tournaments are almost non existent.

Competitive Legacy tourneys are rare because of the lack of players. It's a great format, nothing rotates and it's extremely diverse.
My favorite is Standard, but I also play Extended because it allows me get more play of my cards other than the relatively short period they are available in Standard. It is also fun in its own way and playing and there's too much to enjoy playing as diverse as possible instead of a unique format.

I disagree a bit about the prices. Unless you're running a combo deck consisting of fringe cards (eggs) or a deck about linear cards (affinity), Extended decks are about the chasiest of the chase rares of each block. It's not that easy to build a manabase when Fetchlands + shocklands are the cornerstones, and cards like the Goyf, Jitte, Thoughtseize and Confidant the staples.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
I disagree a bit about the prices. Unless you're running a combo deck consisting of fringe cards (eggs) or a deck about linear cards (affinity), Extended decks are about the chasiest of the chase rares of each block. It's not that easy to build a manabase when Fetchlands + shocklands are the cornerstones, and cards like the Goyf, Jitte, Thoughtseize and Confidant the staples.

The point was that once you have the staples, you won't have to invest much more after that. Standard decks often cost as much (or more) than Extended decks, and you have to buy more new cards each year than you would in Extended.
The point was that once you have the staples, you won't have to invest much more after that. Standard decks often cost as much (or more) than Extended decks, and you have to buy more new cards each year than you would in Extended.

Well, Standard doesn't cost me that much. After each season is over I sell my cards on Ebay, without losing any penny, sometimes even gaining money. As for extended, I end up selling them too when the season is over, using the money to buy my Standard cards. And when standard is over, I sell them again to buy extended. This way, I can play both formats without having to invest too much.
I agree with all of the above (price, rotation, etc.)

I would also like to add that this was the first extended season I participated in and I loved it! I completely gave up on standard in the last two years, because imho the format ceased being fun for me. All too frequently a power deck would overwhelm and dominate the format for periods of time. Also as a total johnny, I find the the current standard meta, which is 99% about turning things sideways, dull.
Vintage/legacy combo decks do the same thing ad nauseum (whether they play the card or not) and standard has no real combo deck. Contrast this with the extended metagame. It is really, really diverse and though there are some fairly monotonous decks, most are really clever and actually fun to play. To me, the format just requires more creativity and thought while playing. Things like swans, kiki, tron, ext-dredge and tezz blew my mind.

I played tron for most of the season and had a blast!

fun, affordable, lasting, balanced, engaging
I agree with all of the above (price, rotation, etc.)

I would also like to add that this was the first extended season I participated in and I loved it! I completely gave up on standard in the last two years, because imho the format ceased being fun for me. All too frequently a power deck would overwhelm and dominate the format for periods of time. Also as a total johnny, I find the the current standard meta, which is 99% about turning things sideways, dull.
Vintage/legacy combo decks do the same thing ad nauseum (whether they play the card or not) and standard has no real combo deck. Contrast this with the extended metagame. It is really, really diverse and though there are some fairly monotonous decks, most are really clever and actually fun to play. To me, the format just requires more creativity and thought while playing. Things like swans, kiki, tron, ext-dredge and tezz blew my mind.

I played tron for most of the season and had a blast!

fun, affordable, lasting, balanced, engaging

Yup, extended is by far the healthiest format.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
Agreed. Standard has quickly degenerated into Tokens vs. Sweepers, with a few other decks thrown in because they're fun. Extended is a format that Tokens can't exist in, and will usually find a way around any given strategy. Also, Extended is a format where small animals still get things done, rather than relying on packages of them, or relying on larger ones. My deck for Extended, especially after the rotation, will be Ranger Zoo.
I agree with whats already been said above. I play mtgo exclusively and the ext meta there is really enjoyable. Theres plenty cabon copy netdecks of course, but theres also some great deck builders out there.
I started playing extended recently because the shop where I play just started hosting tournaments for it. I like it because I have a lot of cards for the format, things don't rotate out of the format as fast as standard, and I love the diversity of decks.

The first tournament I showed up to out of 16 players the only deck that had more than one player was burn. So there were 14 different decks. This was kind of a shock to me as I was playing standard before. Standard was really fun when I started at the end of Time Spiral, but once Alara was released it's started to get really really boring. When I go to FNM sometimes I watch and sometimes I play. The thing I noticed was that pretty much everyone plays the same decks. I'm not complaining about it, but it gets really boring when your playing the same group of decks all the time. I think I played boat brew one night 3/5 matches. The last tournament I observed was 3 5cc, 2 b/w tokens, 1 brew, and two others. Yeah not many people showed up that night. My point is those were some boooooring matches. Actually 5cc vs. 5cc was epic, but it literally took them 2 hours to finish 3 games in the top 4.

Well off my little standard rant, I just love playing different decks and having the option to play different decks. I think that amkes the format much more exciting and fun to play.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
Because my friends do.
Extended is the best format... vintage and legacy are not fun at all because of the first turn wins and stuff like that, and standard is too short-lived. Deckbuildingwise it's a whole lot more fun, but i'd love to see a new format created, kind of like a modern legacy that would include all expansions since the invasion block... hey that's a good topic for a new thread...
Basically, I play it because it has a much larger card pool and a wider range of possible decks. It's also faster (in most cases) than standard, and I get to use more of my "old" cards. By old I mean things that rotate. Even though now they will rotate faster than before.

I do play standard, but I always find that only certain decks win. So, from my experience, if by chance I do come up with a good idea for a deck, there will be a very similar list out there. That is, if it's good.

I feel extended, overall, just has better decks as well.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
vintage and legacy are not fun at all because of the first turn wins and stuff like that

Fail.
For discussion on an extended-extended format (extended which includes all the expansions since the invasion block permanently) check this thread out:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=18676977#post18676977
vintage and legacy are not fun at all because of the first turn wins and stuff like that...

Please get a ****ing life.

Thankyou,

~Joe

P.S: Ignore list +1
NO LOTUS MUTHA ****IN' SHOPS BURN'T DOWN THE MUTHA ****IN' GENCON
Please get a ****ing life.

Thankyou,

~Joe

P.S: Ignore list +1

I was waiting for that one to happen :P. He made another thread in general, just in case...
That was my personal opinion which is what was asked for in the topic for this thread. I'm terribly sorry if I offended you in any way.
That was my personal opinion which is what was asked for in the topic for this thread. I'm terribly sorry if I offended you in any way.

Your opinion is based off of a completely incorrect "fact." It's fine to not like Legacy and Vintage (well, no, not really, but I'd rather not get into an argument about that), but at least make sure it's for a valid reason.
Actually, even if there are 1st turn kills in Legacy // Vintage, this alone is more than enough to slow down the format to a normal speed.
I liked Affinity. I still do. Until my income is big enough to allow me to play Vintage competitvely (outside of Goblins), Extended and Standard will be for me. Eventually, I'll move into just extended and drop standard altogether when my collection is HUGE-MONGOUS! (Right now it's just huge, but about half the cards are only Vintage legal)
1,000 Posts - February 4th, 2009 2,000 Posts - April 14th, 2009 3,000 Posts - June 21st, 2009 4,000 Posts - August 27, 2009 You Make the Flavor! I speak my mind and I'm blunt. Don't take offense to my posts if they seem rude :/ my ref list I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I play Extended because I like the bigger card pool. My enjoyment with the format did deminish quite a lot since the last rotation, but I actually think it'll be better once Onslaught is sent packing.
They see me trollin', they hatin'. Only 31.0% of the playerbase actually prefers Standard to the other formats, yet it is the format that gets the most attention. PATHETIC. If you had millions of loyal customers who adore and admire you, and you could raise your middle finger at them, wouldn't you? **** YOU TOO, WIZARDS. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
i started playing just before onslaught, so i dont like legacy or vintage. and storm isnt legal in standard, so extended wins by default
I play extended because...

...well....

Affinity is way too fun
I play extended for the chicks.
Affinity is just well...Affinity and and its dam fun.
I will get into Extended when Onslaught rotates out. I know nothing about that block, and don't really like it when I don't know the pool of the format I'm playing. But I know most of Mirrodin onwards. Also, fetchlands cost way too much $. Extended will give me a chance to play cards from my favorite blocks again (Rav and TSP).

With the spoilers about some M10 reprints, I might be able to play the first Legacy deck I ever designed, in Extended (sans Grim Lavamancer and Chain Lightning)

On the flip side, going to Extended will mean I'll have to play against Faeries again even after they rotate out of Standard...
I will get into Extended when Onslaught rotates out. I know nothing about that block, and don't really like it when I don't know the pool of the format I'm playing. But I know most of Mirrodin onwards. Also, fetchlands cost way too much $. Extended will give me a chance to play cards from my favorite blocks again (Rav and TSP).

With the spoilers about some M10 reprints, I might be able to play the first Legacy deck I ever designed, in Extended (sans Grim Lavamancer and Chain Lightning)

On the flip side, going to Extended will mean I'll have to play against Faeries again even after they rotate out of Standard...

Don't worry, faeries in extended is not like faeries in standard. There's no mistbind clique and as of now people don't run bitterblossom MD (although they probably will post rotation). It's not like the deck in standard that can just control the tempo, it's more of a straight up control deck that runs riptide lab for the late game.

You could. Current Faerie decks in Extended aren't very similar to the Standard version; the only cards that are the same are Spellstutter Sprite and Sower of Temptation. Vendillion Clique too, I guess, if it's played in Standard. However, the deck will have to evolve quite a bit after rotation because Riptide Lab is rotating out. It'll probably be fairly similar to Standard Faeries.
The cardpool is small enough that each new set brings new changes but large enough that you don't have to build a new deck from the ground up every block.
You could. Current Faerie decks in Extended aren't very similar to the Standard version; the only cards that are the same are Spellstutter Sprite and Sower of Temptation. Vendillion Clique too, I guess, if it's played in Standard. However, the deck will have to evolve quite a bit after rotation because Riptide Lab is rotating out. It'll probably be fairly similar to Standard Faeries.

Do you think that Bob could work out in a U/B build with bitterblossom? Maybe a more tempo orientated build?