New To Extended, Help Needed

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well the thread title says it all, I've never played extended before and I have very little perception on what decks are good. I did read through the decks to beat though. The reason I'm interested in playing is I have a lot of cards to play this format and my card store decided to hold extended tournaments every Wednesday. I'm pretty excited about playing because all I've ever played was standard (comeptatively) because that's all the store offered.

Now for the reason I'm posting, I have a few questions about decks.

What deck do people recommend playing? I have a pretty big card pool for extended so I can make or at least partialy make a lot of the decks. I'm usually and aggro or control player if that helps out.

Also I know a little about the metagame I'm playing in. I can tell it's mostly going to be aggro with maybe a combo deck or two. I saw some people playing affinity, RGW zoo, and some odd combo deck. And one person said he has a deck called all in red which I assume is extended burn.

I kind of want to play u/x tron because I have about 90% of the cards, but I have a feeliing it would do bad in a mostly aggro metagame.

Hopefully some of this info helps out. Like I said I have a lot of cards for the format, I'm just not sure what decks would be good in this type of metagame.

All help is appreciated.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
A good way to find out which kind of extended decks are currently good is too also watch old pro tour footage, like Pro Tour Berlin. A good deck is either Elfball, Elf Chord, Tezzerator, or Faeries. Tezzerator only has about 7-8 creatures, so if you are feeling aggroish, it may not be the best suit. if you want aggro, i suggest playing the Elf Chord deck. Elf Chord utilizes the cards Wirewood hivemaster, Essence warden, and Predator dragon. allowing you to get up to a good 200/200 dragon later in the game. Elfball is green black combo, which uses cards like glimpse of Nature and elvish visionary to allow you to win the game with a Birchilor Ranger -> Grapeshot
A good way to find out which kind of extended decks are currently good is too also watch old pro tour footage, like Pro Tour Berlin. A good deck is either Elfball, Elf Chord, Tezzerator, or Faeries. Tezzerator only has about 7-8 creatures, so if you are feeling aggroish, it may not be the best suit. if you want aggro, i suggest playing the Elf Chord deck. Elf Chord utilizes the cards Wirewood hivemaster, Essence warden, and Predator dragon. allowing you to get up to a good 200/200 dragon later in the game. Elfball is green black combo, which uses cards like glimpse of Nature and elvish visionary to allow you to win the game with a Birchilor Ranger -> Grapeshot

Thanks for the tips. I don't know why I didn't think of going back and looking at the pro tour decks. I think I'll look at those now and see which ones I like.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
One that is really good in my opinion is the tezzerator, it is able to lockdown, and through use of cards like Tezzeret, and Trinkit mage, you are able to look through most any card in your deck, which is primarily artifact. another card that wrecks any other deck that is in tezzerator is Ensaring bridge, keeping elves and zoo from going completly aggro against you
In a heavy aggro metagame Mono White Control is fantastic. It wrecks Zoo, Burn, and all-in-red, but it's mediocre against fairies and bad against Rock/Bitterloam decks.
In a heavy aggro metagame Mono White Control is fantastic. It wrecks Zoo, Burn, and all-in-red, but it's mediocre against fairies and bad against Rock/Bitterloam decks.

This.

If you're most comfortable playing aggro but have an aggro-heavy metagame, I would recommend RGW Zoo tuned for the mirror (full sets of Wooly Thoctar and Path to Exile with Keldon Marauders over Gaddock Teeg).

Another good option, though, would be TEPS, especially if the Zoo decks aren't playing Gaddock Teeg maindeck. It has great matchups against aggro. Elves is also an option for a combo deck, but it tends to be worse against Zoo than TEPS is. Even if you don't have a lot of the pieces for it, it is a pretty cheap deck.

You're right that playing Tron would be a bad idea in this particular metagame. It's too slow to keep up with the aggro decks in the format.

There's a thread on All-In Red (AIR) in the Tournament Center. It uses lots of mana acceleration to put out big threats like Deus of Calamity or Demigod of Revenge out on the first or second turn. Failing that, it tries to paly a piece of disruption, usually a Blood Moon effect, on the first turn. It can be really explosive, but it hasn't been very successful because it is very inconsistent and rather easy to hate out.
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I'm really interested in mono-white control. I have most of the cards and it looks like it would do well in my metagame considering there is probably going to be a lot of aggro. I'm missing a few key cards which I should be able to trade for or buy.

I think for the time being I will play burn because I have all the cards for it considering I play burn in Legacy. This seems like a good deck to start with and I think it would do good in my meta. Problem is I'm pretty sure I will auto lose to combo unless they fizzle, but I don't expect to see much combo so that's ok. Also when I was reading through some of the decklists, it looks like burn has been doing well lately.

I kinda wanted to make a merfolk deck, but it looks like the main piece from the legacy deck is banned aka Aether Vial. I can certainly understand why though, faeries would be THE deck.
gotta put my 2 cents in, TEPS is imo the best in the format. it can win faster than anything except for elves, and even then it can go off before. control has a tough time with it because counterspells just add to the storm count, and it would take some seriously lucky topdecks for an aggro deck to kill you before your 4th turn if your on the play.
gotta put my 2 cents in, TEPS is imo the best in the format. it can win faster than anything except for elves, and even then it can go off before. control has a tough time with it because counterspells just add to the storm count, and it would take some seriously lucky topdecks for an aggro deck to kill you before your 4th turn if your on the play.

I have to agree that TEPS is also good against aggro, and I think it's better than Burn as well. Of course, control and discard can really hurt it.
There have been a few Merfolk lists posted here. I would go with something like this:

4 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Wanderwine Hub
4 Mutavault
3 Island
1 Plains

4 Cursecatcher
4 Silvergill Adept
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Merrow Reejerey
2-3 Sygg, River Guide

4 Mana Leak
4 Spell Snare
4 Ancestral Vision
3-4 Path to Exile
3 Stifle
2-3 Umezawa's Jitte

It obviously won't be as good as the Legacy version, but I think you can tune it to do pretty well against your metagame.
I have to agree that TEPS is also good against aggro, and I think it's better than Burn as well. Of course, control and discard can really hurt it.

control really cant stop storm. the most it can hope to do is counter a ritual or two, maybe a bloom. but a good storm is not gonna go off against control without knowing that it can fight through that
control really cant stop storm. the most it can hope to do is counter a ritual or two, maybe a bloom. but a good storm is not gonna go off against control without knowing that it can fight through that

Stifle.

Faeries has some answers, namely Stifle and Vendilion Clique, to TEPS preboard, but Gigadrowse in Game 2 is hard for them to beat.
Faeries has some answers, namely Stifle and Vendilion Clique, to TEPS preboard, but Gigadrowse in Game 2 is hard for them to beat.

ive never had a problem with fae. stifle can be a problem if they use it on my bloom or one of the onslaught lands, but the basic build of teps can come back easily from anything they throw at me. and i havent found a whole lot of use for gigadrowse even sideboard. by build is built to go off as fast as possible, so even the counterspells and other control elements are aimed at assisting me with that. and i also find that most fae decks i play against dont bother trying to control anything other than the blooms when they resolve, so normally i see a counterspell or 2 depending on the number of blooms coming off suspend, and at that point they are tapped out and i have a higher storm count than before
ive never had a problem with fae. stifle can be a problem if they use it on my bloom or one of the onslaught lands, but the basic build of teps can come back easily from anything they throw at me. and i havent found a whole lot of use for gigadrowse even sideboard. by build is built to go off as fast as possible, so even the counterspells and other control elements are aimed at assisting me with that. and i also find that most fae decks i play against dont bother trying to control anything other than the blooms when they resolve, so normally i see a counterspell or 2 depending on the number of blooms coming off suspend, and at that point they are tapped out and i have a higher storm count than before

Gigadrowse is more to deal with sideboarded Stifle/Trickbind than counters.

Actually, you don't make much sense. If you truly think what you said in your post, then you know nothing of TEPS. What is really good in playing Stifle against you is that it can counter the Storm ability. Sure, it's cool to stifle a fetchland, but you usually never do that against TEPS, you save your Stifles/Trickbinds for the big Desire.
until tonight i had never had a fae player stifle the storm. but even then i was able to fight through to win 2 games in a row, so fae isnt really a problem
until tonight i had never had a fae player stifle the storm. but even then i was able to fight through to win 2 games in a row, so fae isnt really a problem

Uh, have you ever played against a Faerie deck maindecking Stifle? Not all Faerie players play Stifle, but the ones that do will hit you with it once in a while.

Also, just because you managed to win the next two games doesn't mean that you can completely ignore the possibility of playing Faeries w/Stifle.
Uh, have you ever played against a Faerie deck maindecking Stifle? Not all Faerie players play Stifle, but the ones that do will hit you with it once in a while.

Also, just because you managed to win the next two games doesn't mean that you can completely ignore the possibility of playing Faeries w/Stifle.

i never said i can ignore it, im probably gonna start testing pact of negation more extensively now that ive encountered MD stifle. my point was that Fae is not the unstoppable monster that everyone is making it out to be. storm can beat fae with or without stifle. both times i won those games the desire got stifled. in the second one my lotus bloom got stifled the same turn as i went off. fae certainly is a more admirable foe for storm than most decks in the format, but its beatable none the less.
i never said i can ignore it, im probably gonna start testing pact of negation more extensively now that ive encountered MD stifle. my point was that Fae is not the unstoppable monster that everyone is making it out to be. storm can beat fae with or without stifle. both times i won those games the desire got stifled. in the second one my lotus bloom got stifled the same turn as i went off. fae certainly is a more admirable foe for storm than most decks in the format, but its beatable none the less.

Beatable, but it isn't a lopsided match up. A decent Fae player will mulligan for a Stifle, Trickbind, and/or V. Clique. They have E. Explosives to blow up Lotus on the upkeep and they can stifle the Gigadrowse replicate trigger to keep mana open to initiate a spell battle on your turn. Lots of disruption with a fast clock known as V. Cliques and Mutavaults.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

No one is saying that Faeries is unbeatable. At least, no one here.
No one is saying that Faeries is unbeatable. At least, no one here.

true, people here seem to be more level-headed than people who play it online. every fae player who ive faced online has gone on some sort of rant about how fae cant be beat. only one has been able to back it up at all and even then i beat him twice despite 2 perfectly timed stifles
true, people here seem to be more level-headed than people who play it online. every fae player who ive faced online has gone on some sort of rant about how fae cant be beat. only one has been able to back it up at all and even then i beat him twice despite 2 perfectly timed stifles

A few months ago I was at a tournament and beat some Faerie player with Domain Zoo. He got all mad because "Fae is the best deck in the format" and "Domain Zoo always loses to Faeries." It was particularly funny because his deck list was pretty bad and he played horribly.
A few months ago I was at a tournament and beat some Faerie player with Domain Zoo. He got all mad because "Fae is the best deck in the format" and "Domain Zoo always loses to Faeries." It was particularly funny because his deck list was pretty bad and he played horribly.

those are the best kinds of people to play against, the players who are a******* because they feel their deck is the best but who really suck at playing or dont have a good list. NOTHING is more fun (for a fan of combos that is) than setting off a huge combo in that persons face. especially if its really early. i once went off turn 1 on the play with TEPS for the win against a player like that. never got to see what he was playing, he was ******* me off so i went off even though i probably should have waited at least 1 turn.
Ok guys I went to my first tournament for extended yesterday. It went pretty well. I ended up going 2-2, I just missed top 4. I did however get the much coveted Path to Exile promo though .

I played burn minus a few key cards which is probably what kept me out of the top 4. I played the basic list without shrapnel blast, blinkmoth nexus, and less 1 keldon maruders and 1 spark elemental. I also did not have volcanic fallouts. I beat u/b unblockables 2-1 round 1, I beat faeries 2-0 (this suprised me as he was playing the real deal deck), I lost to swans combo 2-1, and I lost to dragonstorm 2-0.

The faerie matchup for burn is far better than I expected. I think if I had any experience against swans I could have beat him, I just wasn't familiar with the combo. In game 2 against dragonstorm I could have won, but I made a misplay and that would have forced game 3.

Now I pretty much know the whole meta though. There was not as much affinity as I thought, only one person played it. I believe we had 2 elfball, 3 burn, a faeries, some bant deck which was pretty good, and 2 combo decks. I think for the future I'm going to work on U/W merfolk and W control. I think either deck will do well vs. my meta, and even if merfolk is underpowered I want to play it because it's fun.
2-2 is pretty good for your first tournament, and beating Faeries 2-0 with Burn is quite an accomplishment, especially since you were missing those cards.

Never played TEPS, but don't they also run Remand to get their original Desire back? Then they can cast it again and win, barring the Fae player holding 2 stifles.
Never played TEPS, but don't they also run Remand to get their original Desire back? Then they can cast it again and win, barring the Fae player holding 2 stifles.

If they have enough mana and the Remand in hand, yeah. Won't always happen, though.

remand is amazing in teps. but even for teps, getting the mana to cast 2 desires in one turn is very difficult before the first desire. usually you hold on to the remand and use it on the finisher after it pops up from desire. or if you dont use the desire, a common combo is remand and brain freeze ftw
Since this thread is already going, I was thinking of maybe building a deck for extended. I was looking at the old Rescue archetype and was wondering if that would be a cheaper deck to build that could still preform somewhat ok.

Link in case you don't know what it is.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1046558
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Since this thread is already going, I was thinking of maybe building a deck for extended. I was looking at the old Rescue archetype and was wondering if that would be a cheaper deck to build that could still preform somewhat ok.

for a cheap deck, ive had alot of success with Eggs. its not a common archetype, but it usually wins turn 3 or 4 and is dirt cheap. the only relatively expensive spells in the deck are the 4 lotus blooms. only problem is it really sucks against control. other than that though the only big problem is that people tend to get angry and leave the game when you go off because its so complicated and takes a while to go off.

Rescue is a pretty bad deck.

Do you have any staples (Lands, Tarmogoyf, Chrome Mox, etc.), or would you be building from scratch? Affinity is a pretty good budget deck; it does great against Blue control but really struggles with combo and artifact hate in sideboards.
It would be scratch, though I think I have a couple artifact lands.

Eggs you say? Link please? And For affinity, I know the deck and I will look into it, those ravagers might have to wait a bit though.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
It would be scratch, though I think I have a couple artifact lands.

Eggs you say? Link please? And For affinity, I know the deck and I will look into it, those ravagers might have to wait a bit though.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/boab/11

its a fun deck, but its very very complicated and as i said earlier it gets owned by control.
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/boab/11

its a fun deck, but its very very complicated and as i said earlier it gets owned by control.

I read it, and I am still confused on how it works. I read the explanation and well yeah, can someone help me understand it?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I read it, and I am still confused on how it works. I read the explanation and well yeah, can someone help me understand it?

once you get the hang of it it is actually quite easy to play. but it takes practice. i will go card by card now and explain it.

ghost quarter: very important to the combo. you need at least 1 at some point in the combo to have any shot at going off for the win unless you have 2 lotus blooms in play. it allows you to use up a land, sac it and replace it with another untapped land, thus thinning out your library and giving you another card to bring back with the sunrise. NOTE: if you do not have the ghost quarter in play when its time to go off, do not play another land unless you absolutely have to. wait for the quarter

island and swamp explain themselves

chromatic sphere and chromatic star: you need at least 1 of these to go off, the more the better. with a few of these in play, you can turn an untapped island into massive card draw and any color mana you want. also, star is the ideal target for reshape.

conjurer's bauble: comes in handy both late in the combo and early as well. ideally you tap it to put a reclaim at the bottom after you reclaimed for a sunrise. eventually this will be the only artifact other than the spellbomb that you sacrifice.

edge of autumn: very useful in this deck. when you have the sunrise in hand, use this to net an extra card for the next cycle and eventually that leads to another untapped land.

lotus bloom: this card is absolutely necessary to go off. you will not be able to go off without at least 1. can get it turn 3 with reshape for the turn 3 win. having 2 in play makes going off very easy.

manamorphose: the only real use for this card in this deck is to sac a bloom for green, turn that into white and draw. but its usefull, and this can work to turn 2 untapped islands into the white for second sunrise with help from a star or 2.

ponder: great card for this deck. useful turns 1-3 for setting up the combo, useful mid combo to dig for the sunrise that is avoiding you

pyrite spellbomb: the wincon. in the first few cycles of the combo, i tend to use it for card drawing, at least until i get to the point where the combo is stably going off. then you sac it every cycle for 2 damage, eventually for the win.

reclaim: this deck would not work without it. play it for a single green and get that sunrise back. mix in conjurers bauble and you get the sunrise instantaniously. a ghost quarter sacrifice immediately after that helps you potentially draw the reclaim again.

reshape: the key to the turn 3 win. i like to sac the bloom once it comes off suspend to this to go hunting for a second bloom, but chromatic star is also a great target to tutor for or to sac.

second sunrise: the most important card. sac as much as you can before playing it. reclaim it whenever possible.

serum visions: best used mid combo. draws a card and keeps bad draws away.

spoils of the vault: last resort effort to grab the sunrise. only use when you have no other options and the alternative is leaving all your permenants in the graveyard.

sunbeam spellbomb: the alternate wincon. infinite life.
How does it go infinate? Wouldn't you eventually run out of reclaim to grab your second sunrise?

Edit: Nevermind I learned that reading is Tech.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
An off the wall suggestion: build UW Tron or Blink Lark / Blink Riders for post rotation. Tron is, naturally, the safest bet. That will give you plenty of time to assemble the pieces and give you a ton for practice with your deck for next season.
SPOILER ALERT
Meddling Mage is in ARB.
Hmm, I have all the cards for eggs too, I didn't know people played that in extended. I'll have to try that out sometime.

Well Extended night is tonight again and I'm going back. I can't decide whether to play burn again or my homebrew merfolk. If the people use most of the same decks from last time I think my Merfolk should do very well because I tuned it to the metagame from last week. Burn should be consistent, but I have a feeling people are going to have a lot of hate for it considering the popularity of it last week. That's the main reason I'm leaning towards merfolk. That and I want to test out my Jittes and Stifles I've been holding onto for a long time :D .
Hmm, I have all the cards for eggs too, I didn't know people played that in extended. I'll have to try that out sometime.

Well Extended night is tonight again and I'm going back. I can't decide whether to play burn again or my homebrew merfolk. If the people use most of the same decks from last time I think my Merfolk should do very well because I tuned it to the metagame from last week. Burn should be consistent, but I have a feeling people are going to have a lot of hate for it considering the popularity of it last week. That's the main reason I'm leaning towards merfolk. That and I want to test out my Jittes and Stifles I've been holding onto for a long time :D .

playing eggs all depends on your meta. are there alot of fae or control players? if there are only 1 or 2 you will have success using eggs. if there are more it will fail. thats why people dont use it too often. it was used by a few people at pro tour berlin but beyond that i dont know.
playing eggs all depends on your meta. are there alot of fae or control players? if there are only 1 or 2 you will have success using eggs. if there are more it will fail. thats why people dont use it too often. it was used by a few people at pro tour berlin but beyond that i dont know.

Yeah I think the tourney is too soon to throw the list together, but I'll look real fast if I can build it. There's only 1 fae player that I know of the rest is aggro or combo. Doesn't eggs die to gy hate? If so it may be a bad idea to play because most people were running relic of progenitus in their sbs.