Most depressing extended season in recent time?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone.

I "rerolled" from Standard to Extended some time last season. Reason for this was my deep-set hatred towards Lorwyn and its tribal decks. I was pleasantly surprised to discover a format with many very different decks and most importantly many different deck types. Sure, you had the usual primitive and boring decks like Burn, but there were also decks like Dredge, Tings, Teps, Death Cloud, NLU and so forth.

I am thus recently new to the format, but this season has been terribly boring in my opinion. First we had the extremely obnoxious Grapeshot Elves, that while easily hated, required main decks and sideboards to adapt. This opened up for even more domination by the resident menace to sanity, Faeries. A deck based around sticking abilities to Flash creatures (no comment). As Faeries rose to domination decks like Death Cloud and Domain Zoo found their place in the meta. Death Cloud became even more ponderous with the inclusion of the Loam engine, and Domain Zoo became more disruptive including spells and creatures that was... well, very disruptive as opposed to simply aggro cards. Death Cloud later had to concede to Faeries and adapt even further to its current form, BitterLoam, a deck that's succesful mostly because of its good Faeries matchup. While all this went on people still played their "budget" decks like Affinity and Burn with varying success. At some point a few players realized that people had stocked up on sideboard hate for Elves and Faeries and on came a new and superior TEPS build, that once again managed to mess everything up for a short while.

Now it seems that we have returned to a particularly boring status quo as best shown by this PTQ:

http://www.deckcheck.net/event.php?event=PTQ+Honolulu+2009+-+Richmond+%2F+USA

A top 8 comprised of 4xDomain Zoo, 3xFaeries and a deck that is basically a mix between the two. My question is thus (and this is directed at the more experienced players). Do you see the current season changing significantly at some point or will it just be more of the Zoo and Faeries are the best decks, but once in a while a new/old combo deck can show up and win a couple of games when they no longer get targeted by hate? I only ask as I really miss the feel I initially got when I started playing Extended. Sure, you had a monster like Dredge, but more often than not it actually never won, but rather took up enough sideboard hate to keep many different decks competitive and the meta fresh (well, at least until NLU was perfected).
They see me trollin', they hatin'. Only 31.0% of the playerbase actually prefers Standard to the other formats, yet it is the format that gets the most attention. PATHETIC. If you had millions of loyal customers who adore and admire you, and you could raise your middle finger at them, wouldn't you? **** YOU TOO, WIZARDS. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I think this is the best extended season ever, you don't have the unfathomably tedious, homicide-provoking, sensei's divingtop to make your blood boil (best banning ever) and the ridiculously stupid dredge turn 2 kills to deal with.

Elves doesn't bother me nearly as much as dredge, elves is disrupted by removal, every deck has removal, and therefore every deck has at least a fighting chance, not so much as with dredge.

Zoo hasn't been truly top tier this season, as it struggles against Burn, Faeries, and TEPS. Its recent uptick maybe shortlived. A properly built Deathcloud loam deck could probably crush a field of faeries and zoo, the format is pretty diverse, but if you really hate faeries/wizards you might be turned off, because faeries is pretty much the best deck in the format and will likely top 8 in most events.

Also Bant isn't zoo faeries hybrid, it is more like GW haterator updated, basically a ton of hate cards thrown together in a deck and you just hope and pray you draw the correct ones.
i really like this season and would be happy to take almost every deck in the format to a PTQ
I think this is the best extended season ever, you don't have the unfathomably tedious, homicide-provoking, sensei's divingtop to make your blood boil (best banning ever) and the ridiculously stupid dredge turn 2 kills to deal with.

Elves doesn't bother me nearly as much as dredge, elves is disrupted by removal, every deck has removal, and therefore every deck has at least a fighting chance, not so much as with dredge.

Zoo hasn't been truly top tier this season, as it struggles against Burn, Faeries, and TEPS. Its recent uptick maybe shortlived. A properly built Deathcloud loam deck could probably crush a field of faeries and zoo, the format is pretty diverse, but if you really hate faeries/wizards you might be turned off, because faeries is pretty much the best deck in the format and will likely top 8 in most events.

Also Bant isn't zoo faeries hybrid, it is more like GW haterator updated, basically a ton of hate cards thrown together in a deck and you just hope and pray you draw the correct ones.

this
Last seasons combo deck needed the same dedicated hate but you had to run graveyard hate which was only good against it and loam. You also autolost game 1 if you didn't run a way to get rid of bridge.

Worse as a fan I am of top in last extended it practically red: Play top, add 5-10 minutes to the game.
Correction: Only one of those lists can be considered Domain Zoo. The others are RGW and are a totally different deck in themselves.

I absolutely love extended this season. Perfect balance of control, aggro, and combo.
Correction: Only one of those lists can be considered Domain Zoo. The others are RGW and are a totally different deck in themselves.

I absolutely love extended this season. Perfect balance of control, aggro, and combo.

QFT. Wizards has intentionally or unintentionally made Extended one of the best Constructed formats in a long time. Almost any deck is viable provided that you have the skill and dedication to practice. (Wr Kithkin made top 8 at a PTQ, last season, and if that isn't enough too prove how diverse Extended is right now, then I don't know what is)

One of the reasons Faeries remains popular is that most of the good players from the Standard and Block season found it easy to adapt to Extended Faeries.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Yes, this extended format is excellent. When Onslaught rotates, Top could be unbanned and my fave card would be back, but far less powerful.
I like the decks this season. My only complaint is that Fetchlands are still legal.

I never checked the actual lists. If you want to correct someone then by all means write a complaint to deckcheck.net (though they have actually changed the names to Naya Deck Wins/RGW/Naya Aggro/I Need to Make My Own Name Instead of Using the Regular One(s)). In any case it's not like we are talking about a combo and a control decks. Both decks have the best creatures in their colours and burn spells.

All in all it seems that people are extremely pleased with the new season, so guess it's just me, I just really miss certain decks like Rock and Flow, CAL and Tings (:weep. Anyway, (almost) noone bothered making a reply to my actual question, so I'll repeat it here; do you see the meta changing vastly at some point, or is it simply more or less frozen now and we'll only see waxing and waning of the various decks in the meta?
They see me trollin', they hatin'. Only 31.0% of the playerbase actually prefers Standard to the other formats, yet it is the format that gets the most attention. PATHETIC. If you had millions of loyal customers who adore and admire you, and you could raise your middle finger at them, wouldn't you? **** YOU TOO, WIZARDS. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I never checked the actual lists. If you want to correct someone then by all means write a complaint to deckcheck.net (though they have actually changed the names to Naya Deck Wins/RGW/Naya Aggro/I Need to Make My Own Name Instead of Using the Regular One(s)). In any case it's not like we are talking about a combo and a control decks. Both decks have the best creatures in their colours and burn spells.

All in all it seems that people are extremely pleased with the new season, so guess it's just me, I just really miss certain decks like Rock and Flow, CAL and Tings (:weep. Anyway, (almost) noone bothered making a reply to my actual question, so I'll repeat it here; do you see the meta changing vastly at some point, or is it simply more or less frozen now and we'll only see waxing and waning of the various decks in the meta?

Well, as always, it will probably stir up after the next sets, but maybe not. And even though I like this season, I DO miss last one, I think we lost a lot of variety.

I don't need to correct deckcheck.net because it DID say RGW, and Zoo is actually implied to be RGW unless it specifically says Domain.

Anyways to answer your question, I see the meta totally changing at the next rotation. Here's my predictions of the why and the what:

Prediction 1: Return of Scepter-Chant. Even though Orim's Chant is way out of Extended, most of you have probably seen the recently previewed M10 card called Silence, which is chant without the fun kicker. I predict that these decks will return once this card hits extended.

Prediction 2: The return of the top. Sensei's Divining Top will likely be unbanned due to pressure from the player community once fetch lands are gone, and I predict that this will allow Countertop Decks to move from the legacy field into extended.

Prediction 3: The combination of the above two predictions will give rise to a new ultimate control deck to take the place of Faeries and NLU. It will be called WUg ScepterTop And will run Top, Counterbalance, Scepter, Silence, Ponder (or telling time for scepter synergy), vendilion clique, venser, riptide, and tarmogoyf. There will also be a WUr variant which will run red for lightning helix.

Prediction 4: In codename set Light, R&D will accidently give us a ridiculous combo deck which goes off on turn 2, but will be easily hated out. This prediction is logical because Light is supposed to be a set which is based around something totally new that R&D has never done before. Usually when this happens, there's a lot of room for abuse of the system (think about Dredge and Storm).

Prediction 5: Bant Aggro-Control will die out because all of the decks it hates out will be gone from the meta.

Let's see how many come true!!
Prediction 1: Return of Scepter-Chant. Even though Orim's Chant is way out of Extended, most of you have probably seen the recently previewed M10 card called Silence, which is chant without the fun kicker. I predict that these decks will return once this card hits extended.

Don't forget that Scepter-Chant stopped being viable far before Orim's Chant rotated out. I don't think it will make a comeback.
Scepter strategies could be viable now I think, slap a lightning helix on one and win a lot of games. I think something like boros scepter burn could work. Some people are crazy and don't run ancient grudge in the SB of every single deck like I do. (ancient grudge is the best card in extended, I'm serious).

My friend ran scepter-fog at ptq edison to a 3-5 finish, terrible? Yes, but it was his first ptq ever and his usual result in constructed is 0-X drop so that was good for him.

I like silence. Strictly worse than chant but less joy killing and elegantly designed.
I don't need to correct deckcheck.net because it DID say RGW, and Zoo is actually implied to be RGW unless it specifically says Domain.

Is that so? Please tell me more about the deck I am playing myself. Do you really think I would keep claiming otherwise without a reason? When the event was fresh it said 4xZoo, and yes, I understand that there is a difference between Zoo and Domain Zoo decks, so please don't point that out (again). If you doubt me you can ask Bastow, as I showed him the event after posting it.

Anyways to answer your question, I see the meta totally changing at the next rotation. Here's my predictions of the why and the what:

Prediction 2: The return of the top. Sensei's Divining Top will likely be unbanned due to pressure from the player community once fetch lands are gone, and I predict that this will allow Countertop Decks to move from the legacy field into extended.

Prediction 3: The combination of the above two predictions will give rise to a new ultimate control deck to take the place of Faeries and NLU. It will be called WUg ScepterTop And will run Top, Counterbalance, Scepter, Silence, Ponder (or telling time for scepter synergy), vendilion clique, venser, riptide, and tarmogoyf. There will also be a WUr variant which will run red for lightning helix.

Prediction 4: In codename set Light, R&D will accidently give us a ridiculous combo deck which goes off on turn 2, but will be easily hated out. This prediction is logical because Light is supposed to be a set which is based around something totally new that R&D has never done before. Usually when this happens, there's a lot of room for abuse of the system (think about Dredge and Storm).

Prediction 5: Bant Aggro-Control will die out because all of the decks it hates out will be gone from the meta.

Interesting thoughts all in all.
You are Red/Blue!

Nice predictions, only that prediction 3 has a flaw because Riptide Laboratory will also be gone.

Well my predictions for some decks:

Domain Zoo: this one is easy because the fetchlands will have gone(hopefully for quite a time). It will be replaced by Naya Zoo.

Faeries: With Riptide Laboratory gone, Faeries will get more Standardish. It will add black again for Bitterblossom and probably Dark Confidant.

Tron: I think some version of Tron will be big again, but I don't exactly know why I think that. It's only a feeling.

Bant Aggro: Will still be around, because it's a really strong midrange deck. (At the end of the year we can compare our predictions and look who was right on Bant Aggro ;) )
No way Scepter-Chant will come back; as mntwinsfan noted, it hasn't been good in quite a while. There's too much easy artifact hate - Shattering Spree, Grudge, Grip, and no Cunning Wish.
i actually didnt enter extended this year since i saw some of the decks and hated the format. since they removed so many sets (a terrible move), it just became a bit more open than standard. elves and faeries dominate in both ladders, and it shouldnt have come to that. theres no more creativity in these decks. the only deck i was happy to see was the redone version of sunny side up, that uses no actual eggs. this season was a flop..and im sure its going to go on like this for a while. soon it will be dissension and up, which would just be a 1 1/2 year old version of standard. it's really stupid...
i actually didnt enter extended this year since i saw some of the decks and hated the format. since they removed so many sets (a terrible move), it just became a bit more open than standard. elves and faeries dominate in both ladders, and it shouldnt have come to that. theres no more creativity in these decks. the only deck i was happy to see was the redone version of sunny side up, that uses no actual eggs. this season was a flop..and im sure its going to go on like this for a while. soon it will be dissension and up, which would just be a 1 1/2 year old version of standard. it's really stupid...

Wizards has no choice in regarding the rotation of sets. Extended is meant to be the in between from Legacy to Standard. So rotating sets is a must.

And Fae and Elf dominating? Since when. I haven't seen too many Elf decks top 8 at PTQs or any major Extended tourney.

Fae remains a popular deck choice but it is NOWHERE close to dominating a format. If I can be undefeated against Fae in PTQs and Magic-league Masters without an anti-Fae Deck(Bitterloam, Mono REd burn, etc.) then I'm sure that Fae isn't king of Extended.

No creativity in Extended? This is a very diverse Extended season.
Michael Jacobs showed some creativity by combining Bitterblossom/Umezawa's Jitte strategies with the powerful Life from the Loam engine.
Last year most of us laughed at the idea of a mono-white deck being a viable deck for a PTQ. Now there have been Mono-White Kithkin decks and Mono-White Control decks making top 8's at PTQs.

Really, any deck can be viable, provided that you have the skill and care enough to practice A LOT.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
What is that card called Silence?

Spoilers please.
What is that card called Silence?

Spoilers please.

its exactly like chant with no kicker
I know that the current Extended season is constantly changing, has a right mix of aggro, control and combo. But somehow, I just feel the same way as the thread starter does. I just feel it's inferior and boring compared to the previous season.

Sure, bad players who played Sensei's Divining Top, and the fearsome monster that was Dredge really made the format slightly frustrating last season, but it was far more versatile and flexible in terms of viable deck concepts.

Tog lost favor as blue finisher of choice, but made a comeback towards the end of the season, before transforming into Fortier's Chase Rare Control. Likewise, one of the most ingenious solution-risque design that was Trinket Angels lost steam gradually, but I brought my tweaked version to an actual GP towards the end of the season and actually had a decent run with it.

I'm probably one of the most fervent advocates for Lightning Angel, and yet in this season, I tried so hard to tweak a viable UWR solution deck but nothing seems right. Too many netdeck Tier 1 worries plaguing my deckbuilding decisions. 4cc creatures gotta impact the board such as Hierarch, Sower, Venser.

Despite the presence of insane combo decks which can go off as early as Turn 2 in the old season, curving from Lightning Angel into Exalted Angel still seemed like a good strategy. Arguably only Elves and maybe Storm can perform the same feat in this season, but I cringe even to MD anything above 3cc.

I even have to think twice about MDing great 4cc creatures such as Loxodon Hierarch and Venser. Ironically, I was comfortably playing Lightning Angel and Exalted Angel last season with even more insane combo decks.

Trinket Mage was claimed to be one of the most played cards in Extended in seasons to come, able to fix mana searching artifact lands, and tutoring solutions such as EE, Crypt. I came back to MTG specially for this Extended season, and I saw my favourite Mage dwindling in numbers. If u're playing Trinket Mage now, everyone will look at u quizzically and go "HUH!?".

I guess the redeeming justification of Top's relevance in Extended is that it encourages a healthy mana curve. Now, every deck spams 1cc and 2cc stuff. Spell Snare is actually a must-play in every blue deck. Despite being able to power out fast Chalices, Tron is considered a crap deck now! Probably cos' of Mr Teeg who saves all aggro asses. Back then everyone is playing a smooth curve to avoid CounterTop (with the exception of aggro). 3cc is the defining curve now, and 4cc is pushing the curve.

I wanna try Chapin's Gifts with probably a small 5c theme using good 5c cards such as Maelstrom Angel. Not viable. Why? PtE. I wanna try RWB control without Martyr engine so that I can run Seize/Extirpate, Volcanic Fallout. Not viable. Why? RWB finishers too slow. UWR Solution Redux? Why bother when u can play GWU with Goyf and Bant Charm?

I don't consider little strategy tweaks such as pure Deathcloud becoming LoamCrime to be anything innovative. Just very very hard to innovate in this environment. I may even consider not going for my local GP coming up end of this March.

Sorry for the long post. Just my 2 cents.
ScepterChant was basically killed off when people started playing Ancient Grudge.
its exactly like chant with no kicker

As in no spells?

If its like chant, youd need to hit off fogs and crap, unless you mean it has both effects in one.
As in no spells?

If its like chant, youd need to hit off fogs and crap, unless you mean it has both effects in one.

Spoiler

Silence —
Instant
Your opponents can't cast spells this turn.

I completely agree I just won a ptq on the 7th with gifts rock beating a field full of next level blue. The format changes constantly and I love playing extended this year
You know, Extended isn't so much a "boring" format. Extended has a very simple problem: It's incredibly matchup dependant. Sure, you can build a deck that wrecks Faeries and Loam, but if you never get paired against them, you get wrecked like a pro. The format is as balanced as it can be, but it's not predictable, so people lose interest. You cannot predict what you're going to see, round after round, so you have 2 options: You can either play one of the decks that is good against a general field, or you can play a deck that is tuned to beat a specific set of opponents, and just really hope you run into them.

I don't want to make any predictions about the format, even with some new cards coming out. I'm just going to say, I hold the keys to the single most overlooked deck in the format, and this deck happens to beat almost everything that isn't Faeries.
I would say that the quality of the matches is better this time, although there is a little less variance in the amount of archetypes that make this season look more cyclical relative to the metagame.

Overall, matches has become more interactive. Aggro isn't trying to get the fastest goldfish using Fatal frenzied Atogs and Gaea's mighty Boros swiftblades against empty boards consisting of Ideal, Tings or Teps gathering the critical amount of mana to go off. The fact that Dredge and Top are gone is also a great relief. This time there is still TEPS, but other than that all decks have to include meanings to interact with the opponent into the mid game. Zoo can burn elves and race while trying to keep them from going off while they can race on its own instead of simply fizzling. Affinity can drop Pillars or Canonists but the matchup isn't over quickly. Rock has interesting variants going from Loam cloud to aggro with Bitterblossom, all of them planning to interact deeply with the opponent.

The problem I see is that many interesting decks like Tezzerator, Slide or Haakon get a lot of talk about how cool they are, but ultimately are underplayed because players freak out and end playing the boring blue control deck of the season, for reasons exposed in the other thread. IMO, it isn't not that the blue decks are strong, but players prefer to play safe and if they lose, to be fine with themselves saying they lose to a bad draw rather than not having enough balls to play with an alternative deck that has to play around spells that are actually going to resolve.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
Agreed. People are more worried about percentages and matchups on paper than they are about playing the game.

What a lot of players need to get through their head is that playing scared rarely works out well for anyone. Had I not played scared during a PTQ in Minneapolis last year, I would've done much better than 1-3 drop. I was talked out of a deck choice because the players I went with were telling me everything I lose to if they draw certain cards.

After doing some homework, I realized something very simple. Not everyone is playing said deck, nor are all the lists packing the same amazing hate for you. In all honesty, the best decks in the format are the ones without a following. Without a lot of following, hate doesn't really exist for you, which makes you very good against everyone. In reality, you need to find ways to take angles on the metagame, and actually test the format before you make your deck choice. Don't be afraid of trying something new because certain cards or interactions exist. Grow a pair and figure out what you want to do, then do it. If it works, fantastic. If it doesn't, then you had fun playing the game.

Worry less about what your deck "can't" beat, and just worry about tuning your deck for the format, and know it better than the opponents. Shake things up and see what happens.

A good example is what a friend of mine is doing this coming weekend. He'll be playing a deck that is absolutely bonkers in the early game, but doesn't play well late. He couldn't care less that decks exist that can stretch the game out. The more he gets paired against decks like Zoo, Faeries, and the like, the better, as he'll be more than prepared to wreck someone that's not expecting him.
IMO, it isn't not that the blue decks are strong, but players prefer to play safe and if they lose, to be fine with themselves saying they lose to a bad draw rather than not having enough balls to play with an alternative deck that has to play around spells that are actually going to resolve.

Agreed. People are more worried about percentages and matchups on paper than they are about playing the game.

Too true.
Three great posts in a row, wow. There is hope for the future, say the bells of Merthyr.

Extended is a boring, overpowered, conformist sinkhole right now - frankly, it was better even when Dark Ritual and Wasteland were still legal.
i hate jitte, i think that needs a banning,there are really only two decks that don't run it, TePs and affinity
Josh "war" Monks. Team Jace, Seattle
i hate jitte, i think that needs a banning,there are really only two decks that don't run it, TePs and affinity

Loam Rock
Death Cloud
RGW Zoo
Urzatron
Tezzerator
Slide
Gifts Rock
Burn
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Loam Rock
Death Cloud
RGW Zoo
Urzatron
Tezzerator
Slide
Gifts Rock
Burn

in the 3 loam decks i played against yesterday two of them dropped a jit by turn 5.
even still, those combined still make up less of the field than
fae+domain zoo+bant+NLU
Josh "war" Monks. Team Jace, Seattle
A card seeing heavy play isn't a good reason to ban it. Jitte isn't unbalancing the format in any way.
A card seeing heavy play isn't a good reason to ban it. Jitte isn't unbalancing the format in any way.

This.

And I suppose you want to ban Tarmogoyf too?
Extended isn't boring because of cards being played. It's boring because of the format's nature. Regardless of what you bring to the table, you always have some sort of glaring hole that you will be introduced to over the course of the day. The format is matchup dependant by nature, and this makes specialized players very angry. They may well have a very good deck, but they don't have the best deck in the room, as their deck will always just lose to something. If Extended were an FNM format, it would be much easier to predict, as the format differs by area.

The format doesn't have anything inherently wrong with it. It just needs a little innovation to shake up the stagnation.
I completely disagree that extended is Standard and then some. With Slide, Loam, and TEPS, there are decks out there that can't see the light of day in Standard, and when I started looking at the Extended season in January, I was happy when I realized that some of my favorite cards (LftLoam, Astral Slide) have found a niche in the metagame, and I'd have a chance to play them again.
Three great posts in a row, wow. There is hope for the future, say the bells of Merthyr.

Extended is a boring, overpowered, conformist sinkhole right now - frankly, it was better even when Dark Ritual and Wasteland were still legal.

Ah, sinkhole... But really, I think that Dark Ritual and Wasteland perpetuated the problem of an overtly matchup-dependant Extended format, mostly because just about everyone had to pack wasteland (just look at Legacy and Vintage today), and just about everyone had to either be able to play or answer the classic opening of Swamp, Dark Rit, Hypnotic, go. (Well, that or Duress, Hymn to Tourach. But I digress.) It put so much early game disruption into the hands of such a small range of decks-- by which I mean Sui-Black-- that the metagame became unhealthy with regards to those decks. What's more, the fact that such an opening could never be assured to be drawn-- that is, not every Suicide Black opener holds Dark Rits and Hypnotic Specters-- means that just about every deck needed to play some maindeck hate that could well turn out to be useless in the brunt of it's matches. I mean, T1 Thoughtseize is bad enough. I think black is in a much healthier place now than it has been in quite some time, and I think that's true of the metagame as a whole. The current boogeyman, Elves, is getting a decent, but not amazing, number of blue envelopes. Faeries and Zoo, while some of the strongest decks of the metagame, still have to fight it out with Loam and MWC (and MWC still has to fight it out with Loam, who has to beat TEPS, who... you see where I'm going.) I don't know how accurate my specific matchup analysis is, but the point is that not everyone has to pack often-useless maindeck hate for dredge this season. Now, if more players were more willing to go balls-out and play that crazy Guilty Doll deck that's been wrecking their local playtest team...
/bump

Might as well post it here. I'm going to stop playing Magic at the very least until the rotation (most likely for good). Just wanted to thank you all for some nice discussions. Take care everybody.
You are Red/Blue!
/bump

Might as well post it here. I'm going to stop playing Magic at the very least until the rotation (most likely for good). Just wanted to thank you all for some nice discussions. Take care everybody.

y are you going to stop playing
/bump

Why?