Best card in Extended? (discussion)

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
General discussion ... no paticular aim, just casual banter.

Personally I think THE single best card in extended right now is Engineered Explosives. Versitility and card advantage (usally 2 4 1 'ing your opponent atleast) make it my top pick.

Best creature for me is either Trinket Mage or Wild Nacatl. The latter for the sheer efficiency and for single handidly bringing back Domain Zoo. Trinket I think is that little bit better ... not that I ever though I would be saying that after top being banned, but still amazing with Needle, EE and Signil of Distinction :D plus other random stuff.

Maybe thoughtseize for best spell ... but I'm not too sure ...
I actually may agree on EE as the best, however it depends how you define "best". For example, there are certainly cards that are more powerful within they're archetype, but you can play EE in almost anything. Now that I think about it I'm actually gonna go with LftL. Goyf is possibly the best creature. Every deck that can run him should absolutely consider it if not play it 100%. He has also inspired the most "splash for X" posts of all time.
I'm gonna have to say I win.
IF YOU THINK I'M KIDDING SUCK ONE.
NO LOTUS MUTHA ****IN' SHOPS BURN'T DOWN THE MUTHA ****IN' GENCON
Probably Dark Confidant, despite having the laziest design.
Minds Desire, Tarmogoyf or Jitte.
Probably Dark Confidant, despite having the laziest design.

Bob Maher knew what he wanted. He and his testing buddies all had the same idea in mind. It was well thought-out before it even made it to R&D... Still, totally agree here. It's my #1 2-drop of all time and my favorite card. Lots of props to Bob for enabling CA in black aggro.

Minds Desire, Tarmogoyf or Jitte.

As far as these cards go... all amazing. If it weren't for Bob and one other card, Tarmogoyf would be the best 2-drop ever, IMO (both card that beat him out completely enable decks to exist, though). Jitte is and probably will remain the best equipment in the game.
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
So when UR Delver came out to win a GP, did Christian Calcano email/call you and thank you personally, or was there just a mutual understanding?
Legitimately laughed at this...haha
No kidding. +1 internets for a hidden gem in the standard deck help.
Bob Maher knew what he wanted. He and his testing buddies all had the same idea in mind. It was well thought-out before it even made it to R&D... Still, totally agree here. It's my #1 2-drop of all time and my favorite card. Lots of props to Bob for enabling CA in black aggro.

As far as these cards go... all amazing. If it weren't for Bob and one other card, Tarmogoyf would be the best 2-drop ever, IMO (both card that beat him out completely enable decks to exist, though). Jitte is and probably will remain the best equipment in the game.

In my humble opinion goyf>bob because, Dark Confidant isn't run in every black deck that can support him, Goyf even saw play in Urzatron decks last season, so I say Goyf is by far the higher quality creature, though Bob oozes raw sucidal power.

Minds Desire is only suited for one particular type of deck, but it is probably one of the top 5 most powerful cards in magic, the old long decks had like a 90 percent turn 1 wins.

Jitte, just is ridiculous.
But in current extended desire is pretty underwhelming.

My view of bob>goyf is kinda biased because of my explained love for Bob. However, Bob and the other card have both enabled strategies that wouldn't work without them. I'm not saying the other card because i love creating the curiosity.

Jitte I'm not arguing is ridiculous; only one other equipment rivals it in power and falls short almost ever time—Sword of Fire and Ice. Just arguing that it's not the best card in the format.
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
So when UR Delver came out to win a GP, did Christian Calcano email/call you and thank you personally, or was there just a mutual understanding?
Jitte I'm not arguing is ridiculous; only one other equipment rivals it in power and falls short almost ever time—Sword of Fire and Ice. Just arguing that it's not the best card in the format.

What about 'clamp?
What about 'clamp?

Point taken. Jitte is second most powerful to broken.
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
Rathi's MVC (most valuable creatures - in order)

1. Tarmogofy
2. Kitchen Finks
3. Dark Confidant

Rathi's MVI

1. Mana Leak
2. Gifts Ungiven
3. Lightning Helix

Rathi's MVS

1. Thoughtseize
2. Wrath of God
3. Life from the Loam

Rathi's MVE

1. Runed Halo
2. Astral Slide
3. Hoofprints of the Stag

Rathi's MVA

1. Engineered Explosives
2. Umezawa's Jitte
3. Chrome Mox

Rathi's MVL

1. Academy Ruins
2. Ghost Quarter
3. Breeding Pool

Rathi's MVP

1. Tezzeret the Seeker
2. Garruk Wildspeaker
3. Elspeth Knight Errant

I'm pretty sure I hit everything.
What about 'clamp?

Technically it isn't in extended.
I'm pretty sure I hit everything.

Missed Riptide Lab.
What about 'clamp?

Point taken. Jitte is second most powerful to broken.

Cranial Plating arguably gives it a run for its money too. I think Jitte probably edges it, but not by much.
Cranial Plating arguably gives it a run for its money too. I think Jitte probably edges it, but not by much.

Plating is conditional. Jitte works on any creature and clamp was just absolutely stupid. Also, no sulfuric vortex or blood moon in MVE?
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
Dont know how but I totally forgot about Jitte!! Deffo the best artifact still see'ing play in extended.

As far as plainswalkers go I'm torn between Garruk and Tezzeret ... both are strangely simular too :\

Lftl and Gifts are both potential powerhouses, but both need a certain kinda deck to function, which is why they didnt make my top picks.

As it stands I think I'm going:

1. EE
2. Jitte (maybe 3rd)
3. Trinket/Goyf (maybe 2nd)
4. Tezz
5. Gifts/Loam

Hhhhmmm ... actualy maybe there's some kinda deck there?

*Scurries off to start deck building*
In my opinion Goyf and Jitte are the most powerful cards. They both threaten to 'end' the game almost immediately, for the 'my-brain-malfunctioned-when-I-approved-this-card' mana cost of two. While other cards may be more important to their decks or be part of insane interactions, see below, no single card can rival those two.

The most powerful interaction on the other hand is Riptide+Blue flash creature with insane CiP ability and EE+ARuins. Gifts tron is a close second.

I think people might be underestimating Elspeth a bit, she can simply dominate a lot of matchups.
My view of bob>goyf is kinda biased because of my explained love for Bob. However, Bob and the other card have both enabled strategies that wouldn't work without them. I'm not saying the other card because i love creating the curiosity.

Hmm...Welder with a Sphere out? (j/k) Painter? Ravager?
Hmm...Welder with a Sphere out? (j/k) Painter? Ravager?

Old extended and Legacy, not vintage. Painter may need a reevaluation, though, as it's gone nuts recently. Both are great guesses, though.
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
Psychatog then?
He's talking about 2-drops.

Does Figure count as a 2-drop enough for it? Erayo? Canonist?
In my opinion Goyf and Jitte are the most powerful cards. They both threaten to 'end' the game almost immediately, for the 'my-brain-malfunctioned-when-I-approved-this-card' mana cost of two.

I agree with this.

It seems that people have played with Tarmogoyf too much if they reduce it to a glorified bear. It's a completely insane must-answer card that can give you a victory from nothing.

As for Jitte it's just a stupid card that I wish they would errata, but it seems that Wizards are happy that certain matchups are reduced to "who get's the first Jitte!!11oen".
They see me trollin', they hatin'. Only 31.0% of the playerbase actually prefers Standard to the other formats, yet it is the format that gets the most attention. PATHETIC. If you had millions of loyal customers who adore and admire you, and you could raise your middle finger at them, wouldn't you? **** YOU TOO, WIZARDS. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Old extended and Legacy, not vintage. Painter may need a reevaluation, though, as it's gone nuts recently. Both are great guesses, though.

I'm almost positive it's either Goblin Piledriver of Wild Mongrel. Both definitely enabled strategies that wouldn't work without them, or would at least be far worse and probably unplayable.
Wild Mongrel. It's probably less evident now, but that card made UG Madness a real deck. And that's still a strong deck in legacy because of his sexy behind.
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
I'm also of fan of the meddling mage.
Best Land: Riptide Lab
Best Creature: Tarmogoyf
Best Instant: Gifts Ungiven
Best Sorcery: Life From the Loam
Best Artifact: Jitte
Best Planeswalker: Tezzeret
Best Enchantment: Runed Halo

I'd have Thoughtseize as best Sorcery and possibly something else (Bitterblossom/Blood Moon) as best Enchantment , simply because Halo is so underplayed. Otherwise I think I'd agree.

He's talking about 2-drops.

Oops.

Mongrel makes sense in that context. Damn, that card used to be nuts.
I'd have Thoughtseize as best Sorcery and possibly something else (Bitterblossom/Blood Moon) as best Enchantment , simply because Halo is so underplayed. Otherwise I think I'd agree.

Thoughtseize is the better card in general, but LFtL can do some really crazy things. You're probably right about Blood Moon; I just love Halo because it's to powerful in MWC

Agreed except maybe on enchant. Runed halo is fantastic, but I'm gonna go with blood moon and halo as a close second.

@hamster: LftL is, IMO, clearly better than thoughtseize if you consider the crazy things it can do, but in a vacuum without specific cards to go with LftL seize is better.
Well, if we're not considering cards in a vacuum then I'd have Plating as better than Jitte.

Anyway, I don't really like this whole 'ranking cards' business because so few cards can be taken out of context. Plating is better than Jitte in Affinity and worse everywhere else. LftL is better than 'Seize if you build around it, but pretty much worse everywhere else. Good cards are good, but some cards are even better if you build around them/if they synergize with the rest of your deck, would be my conclusion.
Wild Mongrel. It's probably less evident now, but that card made UG Madness a real deck. And that's still a strong deck in legacy because of his sexy behind.

Wait, what? Madness hasn't seen play in Legacy in a couple of years.
Wait, what? Madness hasn't seen play in Legacy in a couple of years.

Oh, heh. I was thinking of Thresh. Either way, UG Madness existed as a top-tier deck in Legacy for quite a while and Wild Mongrel lived in ever G/x aggro and midrange deck when it was in, including the Madness builds of extended.

Piledriver and Ravager both only enable 1 deck each and both are replaceable, though not by as strong of options. Goyf may eventually take over 2 in my mind. Now, though, it's #3. Haven't thought too far into anything past there, but options include Meddling Mage, Ravager, Piledriver, the newly added Painter's Servant, and Nantuko Shade.
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
Oh, heh. I was thinking of Thresh. Either way, UG Madness existed as a top-tier deck in Legacy for quite a while and Wild Mongrel lived in ever G/x aggro and midrange deck when it was in, including the Madness builds of extended.

Ok, that's makes sense, they're certainly close enough. I thought you were too knowledgeable to think Madness was still decent in Legacy. (Incidentally, I'm pretty sure Thresh has been dropping in performance for a while)
Ok, that's makes sense, they're certainly close enough. I thought you were too knowledgeable to think Madness was still decent in Legacy. (Incidentally, I'm pretty sure Thresh has been dropping in performance for a while)

As I don't have a legacy circle near me at all, regardless of a nearly-completed Aggro Loam deck, I have to heavily rely on mtgthesource, which is generally very up-to-date. It lists all 3 Threshold builds in the DtB.
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:

It had been declining for a while, but only a little and it's still easily a top-tier deck. It's actually grown more popular within the last month or two as Ichorid has been on a slight decline.
Oh, I knew it was top-tier, just thought it had been going down...thanks for the info on the recent rise.
I'm switching my vote to Mind's Desire, good suggestion.
Life from the Loam or Mind's Desire are probably the most "powerful."
Everbody knows that the best card in Extended right now is [C]Tarmogoyf[/C]. End of discussion.
Id say either goyf or Figure.
Id say either goyf or Figure.

Figure is definitely not best in extended, and loses out to bitterblossom in standard.