Does a two card infinite combo exist in extended?

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to construct a Gifts combo deck. Does anyone know of a good two card combo that wins immediately?

Protean Hulk + Through the Breach/Footsteps of the Goryo is nice, but it requires you to fill your deck with otherwise useless combo pieces.

Mesmeric Orb + Aphetto Alchemist has the same problem.

I almost thought the Crypt Champion + Saffi Eriksdotter combo was going to work perfectly, but it requires a third card to actually take advantage of the infinite interaction.

Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker + Pestermite is nice but it has a high and difficult mana cost.

Here's what I would describe as a good combo;
1. No need to spend more than 6 mana, preferably in easy colors.
2. Wins the game in one turn.
3. Doesn't require outside pieces.
4. Only two cards.

Does anybody know of one?
mindslaver+academy ruins?
Josh "war" Monks. Team Jace, Seattle
2x Sharuum the Hegemon plus anything that takes advantage of creatures coming into play, leaving play, going to the graveyard, etc.
Why include a side combo in a deck if it's subpar? The combos in Bubble Hulk and Breakfast don't require subpar card: the cards do exactly what they need to for the deck to win.
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
So when UR Delver came out to win a GP, did Christian Calcano email/call you and thank you personally, or was there just a mutual understanding?
Legitimately laughed at this...haha
No kidding. +1 internets for a hidden gem in the standard deck help.
mindslaver+academy ruins?

QFT. Gotta go with the slaver lock.
IMAGE(http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/Guardman/MTGDarkness3.jpg) http://forums.mtgdarkness.com/ MTGDarkness: A Magic: the Gathering forum.
Swans of Bryn Argoll and Chain of Plasma?

This. The academy ruins + slaver takes too long to establish and is open to many kinds of disruption.

@ teliot - If your looking for a really nice two card combo deck with a nice control shell and can win out of no where, then check out LSV UR Swans:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1127634
Kiki Jiki + Sky Hussar
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind + Curiosity or Ophidian Eye

Can be done at instant speed via Goryo's Vengeance, but even then it's not very competitive.
Swans of Bryn Argoll and Chain of Plasma?

Good idea. It requires another win condition somewhere in the deck (kind of like hulk), but it's only one card.

Why include a side combo in a deck if it's subpar? The combos in Bubble Hulk and Breakfast don't require subpar card: the cards do exactly what they need to for the deck to win.

The subpar cards I'm referring to are Lark + Body Double + Carrion Feeder etc. in Hulk and Dread Return + Narcomoeba + Bridge From Below in Breakfast. They are useless if you draw them.

Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind + Curiosity or Ophidian Eye

Can be done at instant speed via Goryo's Vengeance, but even then it's not very competitive.

Doesn't win in one turn unfortunately, unless Niv has haste. Neither does Aphetto Alchemist, actually.

Kiki Jiki + Sky Hussar

I already mentioned Kiki-Jiki, please read the whole post.
Swans + Chain of Plasma is probably the best, most competitive two-card combo in Extended right now.
Here's what I would describe as a good combo;
1. No need to spend more than 6 mana, preferably in easy colors.
2. Wins the game in one turn.
3. Doesn't require outside pieces.
4. Only two cards.

Does anybody know of one?

Swans + Chain of Plasma is the only combo that I know of that even comes close to fitting all of that. All it requires is one outside piece.

Quillspike + Devoted Druid and Aphetto Alchemist + Wake Thrasher also go infinite, but you have to have some way to force through the damage.
Quillspike + Devoted Druid and Aphetto Alchemist + Wake Thrasher also go infinite, but you have to have some way to force through the damage.

I like to play the Alchemist face-down, attack with Wake Thrasher and, if they don't know it's coming, many people will let Wake Thrasher through if they don't have a bunch of chump blockers. Morph Alchemist and blammo, you just won.

Soul's Fire
Soul's Fire

It works, yes, but then you have to add a third piece to an already fragile combo.
It works, yes, but then you have to add a third piece to an already fragile combo.

Unless I'm mistaken, Swans + Chain also requires an outside piece, so your argument is kinda moot on this point.

I don't disagree that it's the better combo though.
Instead of Aphetto Alchemist why not use Fatesticher.
Instead of Aphetto Alchemist why not use Fatesticher.

Because it doesn't work with Fatestitcher. It can't untap itself, which is why the combo uses Aphetto Alchemist.
Unless I'm mistaken, Swans + Chain also requires an outside piece, so your argument is kinda moot on this point.

You have to have Soul's Fire in hand when you go off, though. Conflagrate is just taking up one spot in the deck.

So, the consensus is that Plasma Swans is the best two card combo in Extended. Are you thinking of a Control deck that uses Gifts ---> Swans combo as the win condition? Not a bad idea, actually. It helps a lot that Gifts is amazing even when you don't look for the combo with it.

But once you assemble Swans + Chain, you always get your kill condition in the process of drawing your entire deck.

So it really is a two-card combo; the third piece is just a kill condition to make your victory official.
Stuffy doll plus guilty conscience?

This combo requires a 3rd piece for the win. Since guilty conscience makes it infinite you need a way to stop the damage being dealt so the game doesn't end in a draw.
This combo requires a 3rd piece for the win. Since guilty conscience makes it infinite you need a way to stop the damage being dealt so the game doesn't end in a draw.

Why? Once your opponent hits 0 the game ends. No need for more cards.

Losing the game is a state based effect, which means it is checked every time priority is passed. Because the damage that stuffy doll deals is not a redirection effect, but is rathered triggered, each trigger goes on the stack and before it resolves priority must be passed both ways. This means that state based effects are checked after the opponent is dealt damage, and if their life is 0 they lose the game.
Some good thoughts here, Stuffy + Guilty isn't bad.

I also though of Guile + Dovescape to keep it mono-blue, though with Guile in play Dovescape is sort of overkill.

I was actually looking at the 2 x Sharuum one, but it's a bit difficult to fetch two Sharuums with Gifts Ungiven, hah.

I also though of Guile + Dovescape to keep it mono-blue, though with Guile in play Dovescape is sort of overkill.

I was actually looking at the 2 x Sharuum one, but it's a bit difficult to fetch two Sharuums with Gifts Ungiven, hah.

Stuffy + Guilty is actually kind of cool
I guess that stuffy and guilty require any number of clerics. even something like caregiver. just let it loop a bunch of times, then prevent the damage once.
Painter's Servant + Grindstone

Turn 1: Grindstone
Turn 2: Painter's Servant
Turn 3: Activate Grindstone
(Start of their Turn 3 you win)
Doh, my bad
I guess that stuffy and guilty require any number of clerics. even something like caregiver. just let it loop a bunch of times, then prevent the damage once.

I've already gone over why this isn't necessary in a previous post.
Bloom Tender + Pemmin's Aura. Not instant win mind you, but curves nicely, and is instant win with a third card, like Helix Pinnacle (If it were played first turn).

You can fetch sharuum and sculpting steel.
The most powerful one here is Swans + Chain
BUT i have been wanting to test Project X in Extended for a while. the combo is REALLY powerful, and it did me really well when it was in Standard. The deck could have the shell of a rock deck, Maybe with loam even. You have tarmgoyf, Bob, Loxodon Hierarch. If you think you can fit it, I would run the Chord engine for Elves (Orzhov Pontff), Loam (Loaming Shaman), maybe even Magus of the moon on the SB for tron, just for fun. At the end of the day, you will get hit with a lot of accidental hate meant for dredge and loam, but hopefully you can aggro out those decks. The combo isn't cumbersome AT ALL.

This is what i can recall of my standard list, which one could use as a jump off point.

19 Land (only had 1 basic because i suk)

4 Bop
1 Elves of Deep Shadow
4 Wall of roots
3 Essence warden
3 Saffi Eriksdotter
4 Bob
1 Teysa, orzhov Scion
1 Loaming Shaman
1 Orzhov Pontiff
3 Loxodon Hierarch
3 Crypt Champion
4 Chord of Calling
3 Glittering Wish
3 Castigate

Last card was either Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper or and Llanawar Elves. I forget which.

Sb had 3 Slaughter Pact and a wish board with Teneb, Mystic Enforcer, Loxodon Hierarch, Glare of Subdual, Castigate, Ghost council of Orzhova, Mortify, Petrify, Congregation At Dawn, Teysa, Saffi, and Orzhov Pontiff.

I think the wishbord would probs get cut, but if someone could make this deck in Extended, it has the potential to be really powerful.
Spellbinder with a Savage Beating imprinted on it. Attach to a creature like Dimir Infiltrator and infinitely attack your opponent, for one damage at a time. Infinite combat phases for the win!
Spellbinder with a Savage Beating imprinted on it. Attach to a creature like Dimir Infiltrator and infinitely attack your opponent, for one damage at a time. Infinite combat phases for the win!

lol i can't believe i forgot this
lol i can't believe i forgot this

lol, I've been running that combo for a long time
Totally forgot the classic: False Cure + Beacon of Immortality.

Beacon is useful on its own, and Cure is like the ultimate snuffer against the MWC Life deck.
Sign In to post comments